Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #1456
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

I checked out a bit ago from Sports, moved over to the dark-side hotel.

The life guards at the pool on Monday were telling guests the pool would open either Tuesday or Wednesday

This morning the staff told many guests that they pool would open very soon....
Don,t know if that meant today or tomorrow.

All the tiles were replaced in the pool.
It looks fantastic!

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #1457
jm0925
Earning My Ears

Staying at All-Star Sports in Dec

Hi Everyone:

I'm glad to have found this thread. Its great to read the nice reviews on the All-Star Sports resort. We are going in December for 4 days and this is our first family trip where we are on staying on property. We usually stay off property, but I wanted to do something different this trip, plus the resort discounts being offered were too good to pass up. I couldn't decide which value resort to stay at and this was the cheapest of the 4 even with the discount. It took me by surprise this was cheapest considering the convenience of the buses (first stop picking up and dropping off from what I've read). Anyways, thank you for re-assuring my choice. :D That stinks about the pool but I don't think in December we will be using it even if it is finished. We are Floridians and December in Florida is cold for us! Maybe not much so for the northern visitors.

*October 2014 - Halloween with Mickey and Food and Wine at Epcot.*February 2014 - 3 Park Special! Love being a Florida Resident. *Mickey's Halloween Party - October 2013**Seaworld & Aquatica with a little Disney Mixed In - August 2013**Kicking off summer at the Magic Kingdom - May 2013*.*Mickey Christmas Party- December 2012 with a First Time Stay at the All-Star Sports Resort, *Epcot Food and Wine Festival - Nov 2011, *Mickey's Halloween Party - Oct 2011, * Lived in Florida all my life. Many other trips before these.
jm0925 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #1458
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
I checked out a bit ago from Sports, moved over to the dark-side hotel.

The life guards at the pool on Monday were telling guests the pool would open either Tuesday or Wednesday

This morning the staff told many guests that they pool would open very soon....
Don,t know if that meant today or tomorrow.

All the tiles were replaced in the pool.
It looks fantastic!
Did you notice if it was now zero entry? Did they move the entrance area?

Thanks
Old 10-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #1459
Loopner
Mouseketeer

Hi!

So glad I found this thread (it took awhile?).

We're leaving TOMORROW!

Umm yes, this was a last minute trip and I'm freaking out that I don't have more time to plan. My son is participating in an archery competition at ESPN's Wide World of Sports on Saturday 10/6. We weren't sure we could go, then we could and I only booked this trip a few days ago. Why didn't I get on the Disboards right away? LOL!

Anyway, this is our first time staying at an All-Star resort and we're looking forward to checking out a new place. I'm sad to hear a pool is closed, though? We will only be there from Thursday 10/4 - Sunday 10/7, though. We get two days in the parks and my kids have chosen MK and Epcot (even though that could change now that we found out Test Track is closed).

2004 at Riverside - first time w/my boys, March 2006 at WL,
April 2007 at WL, Sept/Oct '08 at BC, January 2010 at WL
October 2012 at All-Star Sports, January 2014 at POR.
Loopner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #1460
lustergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopner View Post
Hi!

So glad I found this thread (it took awhile?).

We're leaving TOMORROW!

Umm yes, this was a last minute trip and I'm freaking out that I don't have more time to plan. My son is participating in an archery competition at ESPN's Wide World of Sports on Saturday 10/6. We weren't sure we could go, then we could and I only booked this trip a few days ago. Why didn't I get on the Disboards right away? LOL!

Anyway, this is our first time staying at an All-Star resort and we're looking forward to checking out a new place. I'm sad to hear a pool is closed, though? We will only be there from Thursday 10/4 - Sunday 10/7, though. We get two days in the parks and my kids have chosen MK and Epcot (even though that could change now that we found out Test Track is closed).

So how was your trip?
Old 10-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #1461
FancyNancy
Princess

Subbing in for my August 2013 trip! I was going to go POR, then I switched to POP, but I just can't stay away from my All Star Sports!

FancyNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #1462
lustergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyNancy View Post
Subbing in for my August 2013 trip! I was going to go POR, then I switched to POP, but I just can't stay away from my All Star Sports!
I know the feeling. AS Sports was the very first resort I stayed at way back when and I keep going back. One of these days slightly goofy and I are going to meet up once again.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #1463
babynala
DIS Veteran

Hi! Just switched our upcoming January trip to All Star Sports, we were planning to stay at AofA but we could not get a deal there so we switched. I have never stayed at at *** but have stayed at Pop, Music and Movies so I am looking forward to staying there. My nephew if a BIG sports fan so we know he will enjoy this hotel.

I know there have been a few changes since the last time we stayed at an All Star Resort so I have a few questions for you experts:

I actually requested the Basketball section near the parking lot since we will be driving to the parks. We probably won't be spending too much time in the food court (we usually bring cereal to eat in the room before we head off to the parks). Is that a bad choice? Do you think, if we get Hoops, we will be too far from the pool? Not sure how much swimming we will get in during January!

Is the Surf's up pool open?

Do the rooms have curtains between the bed area and the sink area (they had this at Pop)?

Also, where in the room is the fridge? Last year when we stayed at the Pop they did not have fridges.

I'm sure I will have more questions so I thank you in advance for your assistance. I tried to look in the first post but some of the information seemed a bit out of date.

babynala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #1464
FancyNancy
Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynala View Post
Hi! Just switched our upcoming January trip to All Star Sports, we were planning to stay at AofA but we could not get a deal there so we switched. I have never stayed at at *** but have stayed at Pop, Music and Movies so I am looking forward to staying there. My nephew if a BIG sports fan so we know he will enjoy this hotel.

I know there have been a few changes since the last time we stayed at an All Star Resort so I have a few questions for you experts:

I actually requested the Basketball section near the parking lot since we will be driving to the parks. We probably won't be spending too much time in the food court (we usually bring cereal to eat in the room before we head off to the parks). Is that a bad choice? Do you think, if we get Hoops, we will be too far from the pool? Not sure how much swimming we will get in during January!

Is the Surf's up pool open?

Do the rooms have curtains between the bed area and the sink area (they had this at Pop)?

Also, where in the room is the fridge? Last year when we stayed at the Pop they did not have fridges.

I'm sure I will have more questions so I thank you in advance for your assistance. I tried to look in the first post but some of the information seemed a bit out of date.
If not now they should be opening The Surfs Up Pool soon. Certainly should be by the time you go!

There are no privacy curtains at All Star Sports yet.

Yes there is a dorm style fridge in the room! It is located in the cabinet by the TV

FancyNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #1465
Piglets Mommy
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

I just switched from standard to preferred for the night before my cruise in Feb, as I was able to get the room-only discount in preferred, but there were no discounted standard rooms available. I was originally going to request Homerun, as my DS plays and lives for baseball. Now I have no idea what to request, as we will be in surfs-up, I presume. What should I request to avoid a parking lot view. I am thinking of requesting 3rd floor, pool view, but will that be loud? What are my chances of just asking for homeroom at check in and being able to get it? (doesn't bother me that I paid for preferred, I am still saving $$ over my original standard rate) Thanks, everyone!
Old 10-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #1466
angwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglets Mommy View Post
I just switched from standard to preferred for the night before my cruise in Feb, as I was able to get the room-only discount in preferred, but there were no discounted standard rooms available. I was originally going to request Homerun, as my DS plays and lives for baseball. Now I have no idea what to request, as we will be in surfs-up, I presume. What should I request to avoid a parking lot view. I am thinking of requesting 3rd floor, pool view, but will that be loud? What are my chances of just asking for homeroom at check in and being able to get it? (doesn't bother me that I paid for preferred, I am still saving $$ over my original standard rate) Thanks, everyone!
I do not think 3rd floor pool view would be loud because the building is set back and away from the pool area. That said I would bet if you request homerun building at check in they will have no problem moving you there. They will do anything in their power to make you happy.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #1467
babynala
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the answers to my questions. I'm thinking about doing on-line check in this time since we are arriving before check-in time. I'm a little nervous to do that since we are traveling with other family members and have requested connecting rooms. I also requested Hoops building close to the parking lot since we will be driving and want to be close to the parking lot. The CM I spoke with kind of giggled when I said "close to the parking lot". He told me that he's never had anyone request that before.

Do you think it would be pushing my luck to also request the 3rd floor? I really want to have the connecting rooms

babynala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #1468
angwill

Quote:
Thanks for the answers to my questions. I'm thinking about doing on-line check in this time since we are arriving before check-in time. I'm a little nervous to do that since we are traveling with other family members and have requested connecting rooms. I also requested Hoops building close to the parking lot since we will be driving and want to be close to the parking lot. The CM I spoke with kind of giggled when I said "close to the parking lot". He told me that he's never had anyone request that before.

Do you think it would be pushing my luck to also request the 3rd floor? I really want to have the connecting rooms
It will not hurt to mark your requests in the order of most importance to you. I believe only 3 can be noted though. So connecting first, hoops bldg or near parking lot?, then 3rd floor.

The other thing I have read over and over is not to do on line check in if you are going to have questions at check in or will ask for your requests to be filled if they are not. The reason being that online check in is supposed to be the quick way to do things so if you will take time with the CM who checks you in that is defeating the purpous. That does not mean they will kick you out of the line if you have questions.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:29 AM   #1469
soccer_mom4
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Last summer, we traveled with a total of 11 people. We booked three rooms, with two of them connecting. My husband and I checked-in at the front desk around 7:30 a.m, while the others were still on the road. We didn't expect our room to be ready, but wanted our park tickets. Much to our surprise, they not only checked us into a room, but upgraded all 11 of us to preferred rooms for FREE. It doesn't hurt to stop in early.

soccer_mom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #1470
angwill

Please understand an upgrade is the exception to the rule. In all the times I have stayed at a Disney resort I have never been upgraded. Sadly in the 8 times I have used online check in because I would be early I have been randomly selected for a room and it has never met my requests. This may be the exact opposite to what many have also experienced. No need to be nervous or worry about it when at check in or even at concierge the CM's will gladly help find you a room that better fits your requests even if they are full at the time they will help you the next day if needed.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: