Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #16
GranddadTom
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 437

That Friday will not be a big problem for Washington's evening traffic because a lot of people are out of town visiting relatives. That being said, I still prefer #3 over #1. On normal workdays, you want to avoid NYC from 6 am to 10 am and Washington from 2:30 pm to 8:30 pm.
GranddadTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #17
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...
 
pilferk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 6,556

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica9 View Post
Anyone drive from the North East ?
We drive from NW CT all the time.

It typically takes us about 18 hours of actual drive time...remember, the speed limit in many (but not all) of the southern states is 75mph on 95.

We do Rte 8 S to 84 West. 84 West to 684. 684 to the Saw Mill River Parkway. Saw Mill River Parkway to 287. 287 to the Garden state parkway. Garden State right to 95.

This ends us around NYC, which alleviates a lot of the traffic issues in the first part of the trip.

We typically leave between noon and 2 PM. This means we hit DC after rush hour (we leave on a week day). We drive about 9 hours til we hit Roanoake Rapids, NC..where we have a room booked. Lots of options in that area.

We leave around 7 AM, the next morning, and are usually in Orlando before dinner time.

We take breaks, but they're short and not close to the amount of time you're budgeting (we just don't need them...you very well may).

Were I you...I might just book an extra night in an Orlando area hotel for Saturday night, leave Friday at 10 AM..and even with your 3 hours of breaks, you should make Roanoke rapids (600-ish miles..just about the half way point) by around 10 PM. Then leave at 8 AM on Saturday...and again, even with your 3 hours of breaks, you should hit Orlando around 8 PM.

I've also done it in a straight shot...no stopping. That was not too much fun.

Number 3 would also work..but any major traffic/construction delays would mean you're cutting it close. You're likely looking at a 10 AM-ish arrival time in Orlando. That kinda "close call", when I had an appointment/ADR, would drive me nuts on day 2. Too much stress and anxiety.

One other thing: Our portable DVD player was a life saver for the ride with our kids. As much as I hate sitting them in front of a screen for 12 to 18 hours over 2 days...it's pretty much the last bit of TV they watch for 10+ days...so I figure it all balances out.
__________________
Disney dreamin'...Somewhere!
11 9 7 (...our little Disney Souvenir)

Last edited by pilferk; 09-04-2012 at 08:03 AM.
pilferk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #18
dvcmom72
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 196

I see someone already mentioned it, but have you considered the auto train? We live in the Boston area and will be taking the auto train (for the 4th time) out of Lorton VA in November...looks like we will be down there the same time as you.

Honestly, my son just turned 4 and I cannot imagine him being in the car all that time. I hope you have a portable DVD player...if not, get one!

Yes the auto train is expensive but I priced out airfare plus renting a car and it came out about the same. I hate to fly and we think this is such a fun way to get there. People think it's a "waste" of vacation time but for us it's just part of the vacation...we enjoy it! You go to sleep on the train and when you wake up in the morning, you're in Florida!
dvcmom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #19
monica9
DIS Veteran
 
monica9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 524

I actually live in orange. Just assumed no one would know where that was! I took a train down to Florida from new haven! 10 years ago with a softball team I coached and it was the worst experience for me. I can't sleep sitting up and there's no way in hell I would lay on the floor. So the auto train is out since it would be way more than a plane if we got the bedroom option. I really want our car there. I'd love to be able to stop at a grocery store, not have to pay for transportation from our reinissance hotel at sea world to wl. I also wouldn't mind taking the car to downtown Disney or ak since it takes forever with the bus. I also want to.be able to.just throw extra clothes or jackets in the car instead of packing another suitcase. Butthe ride is going to be so long! So far its between driving (85% chance) to looking at last minute flights (15% chance) we aren't concerned about drive down but the drive back since we are leaving either Monday late night after park closes or Tuesday early morning and need to get back by wed night
__________________
Disney as a child: '82 CR,'84, CR,'85 CR,'87 CR,'88 CR,'89 CR....Disney as an adult: '03 off property, '04 off property, '10 1 day off cruise, '11 CBR (DD first trip!), 2012 WL, 2013 December 2013 BC Hoping for Fall 2015
DH(40) : Me(34) DD(6)
monica9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #20
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...
 
pilferk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 6,556

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica9 View Post
I actually live in orange. Just assumed no one would know where that was! I took a train down to Florida from new haven! 10 years ago with a softball team I coached and it was the worst experience for me. I can't sleep sitting up and there's no way in hell I would lay on the floor. So the auto train is out since it would be way more than a plane if we got the bedroom option. I really want our car there. I'd love to be able to stop at a grocery store, not have to pay for transportation from our reinissance hotel at sea world to wl. I also wouldn't mind taking the car to downtown Disney or ak since it takes forever with the bus. I also want to.be able to.just throw extra clothes or jackets in the car instead of packing another suitcase. Butthe ride is going to be so long! So far its between driving (85% chance) to looking at last minute flights (15% chance) we aren't concerned about drive down but the drive back since we are leaving either Monday late night after park closes or Tuesday early morning and need to get back by wed night
I work in New Haven, actually. I blow down 34 at least 3 days a week between Derby and New Haven. I live up in New Hartford (north of Waterbury, close to Avon).

On the way down, it might be worth heading west, to pick up 684/287/the Sawmill...rather than picking up 95 in New Haven and heading south thru NYC. Given your departure time and date..it might not make much of a difference (early on Black Friday..I'm assuming traffic is going to be minimal), though. Probably depends more on which makes you more comfortable.

On the return trip, your biggest problem is going to be DC. It's going to be hard to "miss it" during rush hour..and the beltway is awful. You could try the Capital/Baltimore-Washington Parkway (which picks up on the southern part of the belt way and "ends around" the beltway to Baltimore. But even that's crazy during DC rush hour.

You REALLY want to hit DC after 9 AM or after 7 PM during the week. It's roughly 12 hours, driving time, from Orlando.

If you left on Monday, did 4 hours of drive time, then left around 8 AM on Tuesday..you'd hit DC around 4-6 (depending on break times)..which might drive you insane.

If you leave on Tuesday morning, and do 12 hours drive time (so 15 hours if you need 3 hours worth of breaks) you might be able to get JUST the other side of DC, into Maryland or Southern Jersey. But that's going to be HARD on the driver/drivers...and any construction delays would be problematic.

I think I'd take the Tuesday choice and just push through til I was past DC. Just realize it could be 11 PM or later before you pull into your stop for the night.
__________________
Disney dreamin'...Somewhere!
11 9 7 (...our little Disney Souvenir)

Last edited by pilferk; 09-04-2012 at 10:28 AM.
pilferk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #21
ckmiles
Mouseketeer
 
ckmiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 132

I dont have any suggestions for you, as I have never driven to Florida, but I wanted to say hi to my neighbor! I live in Derby!

Have a great trip!
ckmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #22
monica9
DIS Veteran
 
monica9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmiles View Post
I dont have any suggestions for you, as I have never driven to Florida, but I wanted to say hi to my neighbor! I live in Derby!

Have a great trip!
Hi!

Thank you all for such good advice! Keep it coming.....I will have my husband read these posts soon so we can make a final decision. Now I'm starting to think just taking a tranquilizer and sucking up a plane ride for 2 1/2 hours isn't that bad of an idea. I have to gage out our luggage situation and transportation from MCO to seaworld and seaworld to orlando.

Transportation for vacation shouldn't be this hard!!!!
__________________
Disney as a child: '82 CR,'84, CR,'85 CR,'87 CR,'88 CR,'89 CR....Disney as an adult: '03 off property, '04 off property, '10 1 day off cruise, '11 CBR (DD first trip!), 2012 WL, 2013 December 2013 BC Hoping for Fall 2015
DH(40) : Me(34) DD(6)
monica9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:31 AM   #23
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...
 
pilferk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 6,556

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica9 View Post
Hi!

Thank you all for such good advice! Keep it coming.....I will have my husband read these posts soon so we can make a final decision. Now I'm starting to think just taking a tranquilizer and sucking up a plane ride for 2 1/2 hours isn't that bad of an idea. I have to gage out our luggage situation and transportation from MCO to seaworld and seaworld to orlando.

Transportation for vacation shouldn't be this hard!!!!
Mears and Tiffany Towncar are great options for transport.

We typically use Tiffany Towncar. They provide car seats for our kids that need them, and they give you a free 30 min stop at a grocery store, too. It means a) we don't have to lug a couple of booster seats on the plane and b) we can stock our villa's kitchen without having to pay for delivery.

We're using them in December, actually. From MCO to Hard Rock on the 5th..and then from the Hard Rock to Kidani Village (AKV) on the 6th.

There's 6 of us...so the cost is pretty reasonable (about $20 apiece, TOTAL..which includes both legs but not tip which will add a bit).
__________________
Disney dreamin'...Somewhere!
11 9 7 (...our little Disney Souvenir)
pilferk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #24
joedplumber
Love Vacationing!
 
joedplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 257

Just drove down in July from the Fairfield area. Left at 4am and got to Savannah GA at 8pm. Left Savannah, GA at 7am and arrived at WDW at 11am.

Was a great traveling trip!
joedplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #25
monorailsilver
DIS Veteran
 
monorailsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Shoreline CT
Posts: 3,262

I am thinking you will only need one hotel overnight.

I grew up in Trumbull & although I have never driving to FL, my dh & I have driven from Trumbull to the TN/VA line (down 81?) in one day. We left at 6am before traffic & arrived there at 5. It was our stopping point because we weren't sure what we were going to find going west in TN.

I still live in CT but my town borders the CT river on the shoreline & we are driving to FL next April. With our 3 kids & possibly my mother but we are going to Ft. Myers to see my sister.

I am taking my kids out of school on Friday since it's a half day & plan on leaving on Thursday right as they get out of school. I will stop at my moms in Trumbull (about an hour drive) to pick her up & hope that there is not to much traffic going towards NY at that time & hope that all the Stamford/Greenwich workers are headed east on the parkway.

I am hoping to get past DC that first day & then the next day we will just drive the rest of the way. Yawn...

So basically avoid, rush hour in CT/NY & DC at rush hour as well. Good Luck & safe travels!
__________________
June 1975 Golf Resort & Polynesian August 1977 DL off site April 1990 WDW off site May 1981 Polynesian July-August 1985 Polynesian July-August 1987 Polynesian/Floridian July-August 1990 Beach Club May 1994 All Star Sports/Polynesian June 1995 Wilderness Lodge/Dixie Landings February 1997 off site/Wilderness Lodge March-April 1999 Engagement Trip February 2000 Polynesian August 2002 Polynesian July 2005 Polynesian August 2008 Polynesian August 2013 Polynesian and I think there were a few more trips here & there but I have lost track.
monorailsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.