Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #31
JAMIESMITH
DIS Veteran

Wrapping Up at Animal Kingdom

After Flights of Wonder, we were all getting really hungry. We decided to head on over to Flame Tree Barbeque and get some lunch. When we were in sight of the restaraunt, my husband pointed out Dug and Russell from Up and Madilyn wanted to stop and meet them.

Madilyn petting Dug's ear and telling him what a good dog he is Dug "licked her" after that, but I didn't get a good picture of it!

Hugging Russell.

And a couple more...

Once again, no pictures of our food. Marie got the Chicken Sandwich, Jamie got the Pork Sandwich and a side of fries, I got the ribs, and Madilyn had a hot dog. Jamie and I both had chocolate mousse for dessert. Marie had the key lime mousse and Madilyn had a chocolate chip cookie. The food was all really good, but it was a little hard to carry it all to the seating area. The bottom broke out of the first chair I sat in (I'm not THAT fat ). I got another one from a nearby empty table and pointed the broken one out to a cast member. She removed it from the seating area. Madilyn enjoyed feeding her grapes to the birds (I know you're not supposed to ). This was my favorite quck service meal of our trip and I would definitely eat here again.

A shot of Marie and Madilyn right after lunch.

A shot of Madilyn and me.

Just a picture of Everest.

We headed over to Dinoland and were able to ride Dinosaur. I was really proud of Madilyn for not freaking out on the ride! I didn't realize it would be quite so scary! My husband found the smoking area near the ride's exit. I really wanted to see the Jammin' Jungle Parade, but we would have to kill almost two hours before the parade and we were all pretty tired (and I know my jeans were still soaked!). We decided to head back to our hotel and chill out a while before our dinner reservation at the Grand Floridian Cafe.

Disney's Boardwalk Villas January 2015 Desperate For More Disney Magic

Old 10-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #32
JAMIESMITH
DIS Veteran

Our Grand Dinner

We had a 6:30 reservation at The Grand Floridian Cafe. We walked to the Great Ceremonial House and rode the Resort Monorail to the Grand Floridian Resort. I can't tell you how impressive this resort is. My husband says that it reminds him of the inside of the Titanic.

This is the first view you see after walking into the lobby.

The Grand Floridian initials on the floor.

Looking down into the main lobby.

The man playing the piano was really great!

I love all the Disney characters on the floor.

The host at the Grand Floridian Cafe seemed a little snooty when he asked if we had reservations, but everyone else was really nice. The man who showed us to our table was from China and his name was "Fun". I thought that was "Fun"ny Our waitress was another New Yorker and she was really great.

Here are a few shots of the inside of the restaraunt. We were walking so they're a little out of focus, but still kind of cool (at least I think so!).

All the adults had the New York Strip. The menus I've seen on line call it a "bone in" steak, but it wasn't. This was hands down the BEST meal of our entire trip and we WILL make it a part of the next one. Madilyn had the Meaty Macaroni and she ate it better than anything else during our trip.

Jamie and I got the dessert sampler, but next time we'll both be getting the lemon cheesecake.

Marie had the fondue and Madilyn had dirt in worms. Translation: we shared everything!

One last shot of us after leaving the restaraunt.

We also really enjoyed the monorail ride back to our hotel.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #33
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Wasn't the Grand Floridian....grand? We still have several restaurants there that we want to try. If you ever get a chance to go back when the Christmas decorations are up, it is amazing!
I love Flaming Tree BBQ too. It is one of my favorite quick service places to eat.

Great TR...keep it coming!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV F&W | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV

MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek - BCV-Oct13 (TR In Progress)
Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey - Aulani-Sep12
Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? | BLT/VWL; May2012-Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
AKV/BWV; Nov/Dec2010; No Kids; Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
OKW; May2010; DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
Old 10-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #34
JAMIESMITH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Wasn't the Grand Floridian....grand? We still have several restaurants there that we want to try. If you ever get a chance to go back when the Christmas decorations are up, it is amazing!
I love Flaming Tree BBQ too. It is one of my favorite quick service places to eat.

Great TR...keep it coming!
The Grand Floridian was SO Grand I would love to go in December (for SO many reasons), but I'm not sure my husband would do well with the higher crowd levels. If he has his way, we'll stick to September trips, but we may have to rethink that once Madilyn starts school Thanks for the compliment. I'm glad someone is reading along!

Old 10-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #35
JAMIESMITH
DIS Veteran

Boat Ride to Magic Kingdom

By day three I know Madilyn and her daddy were both wondering "When are we ever going to see that castle?" We caught the boat to Magic Kingdom at around 8:30 from the Polynesian's dock. This was the same boat Marie and I had taken a picture of on Sunday.

A shot of Madilyn, Jamie, and me on the boat.

Another one of just Madilyn.

And Marie looking very relaxed

Looking back at our resort.

The Contemporary in the distance.

Construction between the Polynesian and the Grand Floridian.

The driver of the boat slowed down to point out an alligator and the buoy he'd been chewing on.

A shot of the Grand Floridian.

The far side of the Polynesian.

Back towards the Great Ceremonial House.

And sunset point.

Another shot of the Grand Floridian.

The Polynesian in the distance.

The Avengers monorail.

We met the ferry heading from the TTC. We never did ride it, but it looked neat!

And finally comming up on Magic Kingdom.

My husband preferred the monorail to the boats, but I liked the boat ride better. To each his own!

Old 10-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #36
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIESMITH View Post
Construction between the Polynesian and the Grand Floridian.

That's the new DVC units that will be part of the Grand Floridian. I hope we'll be able to stay there some day.

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV F&W | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV

Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? | BLT/VWL; May2012-Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
AKV/BWV; Nov/Dec2010; No Kids; Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
Old 10-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #37
JAMIESMITH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
That's the new DVC units that will be part of the Grand Floridian. I hope we'll be able to stay there some day.
I had heard that that was what they were working on there, but I wasn't sure. Aren't they also about to start some DVC units at the Polynesian?

Old 10-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #38
mjohn9083
Earning My Ears

AHHHH!!! I am one terrible blogger!! But I am loving reliving our trip through this.. I promise I'm going to help starting tomorrow. I literally just got my wifi turned on at the house and my husband (woah - that was weird to type) has demanded use of the computer.

Tootles!!

Previous WDW Trips:

July 2008 /HS Senior Trip/ Offsite
March 2011 / Sorority Spring Break/ AKL - Free Upgrade from ASMo
Sept 2012 /Family Vacation/ Polynesian
Sept 2014 /1st Trip With DH/ Coronado Springs

Old 10-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #39
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Sorry, just got all caught up! Nice shot of the alligator! I knew they were in that water!!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #40
Lynnp
Earning My Ears

Great TR! I'm in Jackson, so I am familiar with Meridian.

Thanks for the tip on Lake City. We were talking about where to stop on the way down.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #41
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I had heard that that was what they were working on there, but I wasn't sure. Aren't they also about to start some DVC units at the Polynesian?
It's been rumored due to some sight line balloons being spotted at the Poly. Nothing confirmed yet. If GF DVC sales are strong, I suspect Poly DVC is in the near future.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #42
SheenaXena21
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Even at Disney World, I am only willing to put up with so much out of my child so after a few more minutes of "fit throwing" Maddy got a spanking. Yes, I am the parent who will spank a child at the happiest place on earth (please don't hate me).

You're not the only one... my sister would have done the same thing!!!

Question: Maddy looks like she's around the same age as my niece (she's really tall for her age, 42"+), who is 3 1/2. Did she (Maddy) like Soarin? I think my DN would like this ride, but I'm afraid she'll freak out. Did she do okay with the height of the ride and it going up in the air?

Old 10-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #43
JAMIESMITH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheenaXena21 View Post

You're not the only one... my sister would have done the same thing!!!

Question: Maddy looks like she's around the same age as my niece (she's really tall for her age, 42"+), who is 3 1/2. Did she (Maddy) like Soarin? I think my DN would like this ride, but I'm afraid she'll freak out. Did she do okay with the height of the ride and it going up in the air?
Maddy turned four about five weeks before our trip. She's 43" tall. Soaring and Big Thunder Montain were her two favorite rides. She also really liked Phillarmagic. The two things that scared her (not too badly, though) were Dinosaur and Splash Mountain.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #44
JAMIESMITH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohn9083 View Post
AHHHH!!! I am one terrible blogger!! But I am loving reliving our trip through this.. I promise I'm going to help starting tomorrow. I literally just got my wifi turned on at the house and my husband (woah - that was weird to type) has demanded use of the computer.

Tootles!!
I have the pictures loaded to my photo bucket account if you want to start our first Magic Kingdom day

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Sorry, just got all caught up! Nice shot of the alligator! I knew they were in that water!!
You never did tell me what longhouse you were in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnp View Post
Great TR! I'm in Jackson, so I am familiar with Meridian.

Thanks for the tip on Lake City. We were talking about where to stop on the way down.
Lake City worked really well for us. There were several nice hotels, but the Red Roof Inn had the best price and was clean and quiet.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #45
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Don't mean to hijack your thread but since I see more than one from the Magnolia State here, we are trying to put together a DIS meet in the next few months probably in Hattiesburg. There are people from the capital to the coast interested in attending. If it's something you might like to attend, go to this thread

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2992997

Sorry for the interruption....now back to your regularly scheduled EXCELLENT trip report.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: