Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
Jays2013
Mouseketeer

The Fountains of WDW

The key to keeping our upcoming trip moving well, I think, will be paying attention to what my 8-year-old with special needs likes the most. He does like many rides, but at some point I know he'll need a break.

Those things are music (easy to find at WDW!) ... and water. Specifically, fountains. He loves them.

I know many of the fountains at the parks (I can't wait for him to see the leaping ones at Epcot!), but it's been six years since we've been there. Can anyone tell me some can't-miss fountains at the parks, resorts (we will have ADRs at a number of them) and DTD? Thanks for any recommendations!

Small side question: Is there a fountain anywhere at the Contemporary? DH and DS1 will be hanging out there while DS2 and I are on the Pirates & Pals cruise!

Me DH DS1 (9) DS2 (5)

---
April 2013 Art of Animation Nemo
Feb. 2006 Pop Century
Nov. 2003 Coronado
Sept. 2002 Animal Kingdom Lodge (honeymoon!)
Three trips as a child,
including one stay at Port Orleans French Quarter
Jays2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

There are some nice fountains in France and Morocco at Epcot. I doubt you have ADRs here, but there is also one at Coronado Springs near check-in. Though small, there is Cinderella Fountain at MK. And don't miss the fountain outside MuppetVision 3D at DHS! I bet your son would also enjoy the new Casey Jr. splash 'n soak area at MK, too Wow, I have never thought about the fountains at Disney in so much depth before Have a GREAT time!!

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

The Muppet Fountain at DHS is cool. There is a splash area between Future World and World Showcase too, not sure if that counts as a fountain.

Those leaping fountains are pretty shabby now. But they still go, just not in sync like they used to.

The Polynesian has a nice fountain in the lobby too.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
TheRustyScupper
GKTW coordinator. Kiwanis and SCORE Volunteer. Make-A-Wish board. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty good sailing captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
. . . Those leaping fountains are pretty shabby now. But they still go, just not in sync like they used to . . .
Alas, this is true.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
megan10310
Mouseketeer

Dtd has a splash pad type fountain. It is near the Christmas store and the ears store. My kids love it!

First Family Disney Trip!!! March 2010

Can't Wait! Next Trip - February 2013!
megan10310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
megan10310
Mouseketeer

And the new fantasy land has Casey jr splash area! The elephants spray water, I want to check that out myself!

First Family Disney Trip!!! March 2010

Can't Wait! Next Trip - February 2013!
megan10310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
MrsJD
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

Port Orleans frech quarter has some nice fountains, quiet ones!
Canada and Norway in WS both have some cool waterfalls.
Maybe you could do a picture quest with him and try to get pictures of as many fountains as you can. Then he can look back at them once you are home.
Have a great trip!
2010 CBR
2011 POFQ
2012 Parkway International
MrsJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
PinballFamily
Yes, I have scrapping supplies to decorate my scrapping supplies...wanna make something of it?

At the Cinderella fountain - on the back side of the castle, walk around a bit so you can see the crown depicted in the background "on top of" Cindy's head. When we took a MK tour, the CM tour guide pointed out that this was carefully designed to depict her turning into a princess. Have a blast!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
PictureJumpr
At Least 'til it Rains

If i remember correctly, there is a smallish decorative fountain in the Contemporary near the main desk... but don't quote me on that...

Don't forget the fountains of the Swan and Dolphin - which are easily reached by riding a boat on a lake from either Epcot or DHS... There are ginormous fountains outside these hotels, and smaller ones inside.

The Wilderness Lodge has one of my favorites - although it's more of a water feature than a simple fountain - in the geyser located near the pool. Easy to reach via boat from MK.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Are you looking for viewing fountains, or playing in fountains?
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

Swan & Dolphin

Visually appealing fountains are between Swan & Dolphin hotels too. The ferries from Hollywood Studios / EPCOT stop between the hotels and near the fountains.

And ice cream inside Dolphin at same ground level.......

Akershus (3.0-stars* Food; 5* princess interaction). blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (2.5* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.5* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4*), Jiko (3.5*), Kouzinna (3.5* dinner; 4* breakfast), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Marrakesh (3* - bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4.0*), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (3*), Yak & Yeti (1*)

On my 'to dine' list: Artist Point (Nov, 2014), Monsieur Paul (2015?), Ohana (2015?), Yachtman's Steakhouse (2015), & Spice Road (2015?).
JZCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
Jays2013
Mouseketeer

Both! Even the playing-in ones he often sits next to and just ... contemplates.

Mrs. JD, I'm planning an entire scrapbook spread on DS and the fountains of Disney.

Thank you all. I'm compiling a list. It's amazing how DS' quirks are making me look at Disney a whole new way. I think we're going to be noticing a lot of things we're passed by before, because of him.

I'm pretty sure we're going to have to stop and dance at every music performance, as well.

Me DH DS1 (9) DS2 (5)

---
April 2013 Art of Animation Nemo
Feb. 2006 Pop Century
Nov. 2003 Coronado
Sept. 2002 Animal Kingdom Lodge (honeymoon!)
Three trips as a child,
including one stay at Port Orleans French Quarter
Jays2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
nansmama
DIS Veteran

There are TONS of fountains at Disney World. I was planning on trying to take pictures of a bunch too when we go in January. Don't forget that there are ones inside buildings too, like the one inside the pyramid in Mexico, and one in the big main building at Coronado Springs.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #14
PinballFamily
Yes, I have scrapping supplies to decorate my scrapping supplies...wanna make something of it?

OP - hope you all have an awesome trip!

Reading your post about dancing through the parks - one of my fondest WDW memories is from a few years back when we collapsed into a few rocking chairs in Frontierland for a few minutes on a hot day. All of a sudden, a quartet appeared and started playing - a couple of banjos and ?. All of a sudden, my son with autism got up and danced his little heart out - sort of like a jig - all by himself and the joy on his face...absolutely priceless. The musicians, too, seemed touched by his enjoyment and played and played.

This place is magical for many reasons...
Old 10-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #15
Just2DisneyKids
Mouseketeer

In World Showcase, at Epcot, every country has some sort of fountain or water feature. One year we did a picture at each to keep my girls engaged at every country. I think I remember Japan's being especially interesting and at Canada, you have to walk towards the back for a big waterfall. Enjoy, we love the fountains, too!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: