DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

DVC Studio Fridge

Hi all. A few questions about the DVC Studio fridges-

1- Do these fridges act like real fridges? We stayed at Pop last trip and the little fridge we had wouldn't keep anything cold. The Pop repair guy said that the fridge wasn't meant for food, just non-perishable items like soda and water. Is it safe to assume the fridges at the studio villas are legit mini-fridges? Do you feel comfortable storing perishables like meat and dairy in there?

2- Is there a freezer area and does it keep items frozen?

That's all! THANKS!
Old 10-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
minnime
Earning My Ears

Regarding the mini-fridge..I have kept perishables (milk/Juice) in it without spoilage. BUT you need to check the cool dial and make sure it is not on low. My friend put her breakfast items in and the next morning all was spoilt. Housekeeping told her the maids will sometimes turn them down to defrost the freezer. I have had some less cool than others. You can always put in a container of ice if in doubt.
minnime is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
minnime
Earning My Ears

Sorry..There is a shelf in the freezer thats about 6 inches high with ice cube tray. I don't think you can do much with it. I would not put in ice cream or things of that nature.
minnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSorority View Post
Hi all. A few questions about the DVC Studio fridges-

1- Do these fridges act like real fridges? We stayed at Pop last trip and the little fridge we had wouldn't keep anything cold. The Pop repair guy said that the fridge wasn't meant for food, just non-perishable items like soda and water. Is it safe to assume the fridges at the studio villas are legit mini-fridges? Do you feel comfortable storing perishables like meat and dairy in there?

2- Is there a freezer area and does it keep items frozen?

That's all! THANKS!
There is a small freezer compartment in the top. These are real undercounter refrigerators, not just coolers like at the value resorts.

Check the temperature dial before you put stuff in the refrigerator and leave it.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
FirstTimeCruiser
Mouseketeer

Definitely a real fridge, at AK Kidani studio we kept a gallon of milk, gallon of OJ, yogurts, soda and even a small birthday cake!
FirstTimeCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
Disney Princess
Member Since Day 1
I am just the "organized" one

As others have explained, it is a real fridge. Regarding the freezer - we can fit about 4 bottles of water in that section, but they have to be laying down. We can truly freeze the water, so that section works as it should. You don't have room for large items, however. It works for us to take frozen waters to the park.
Disney Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
lawrenceFletcher
No longer renting points

In spring, our OKW refrigerator worked great but the freezer portion was not able to keep frozen things frozen or freeze things evenly.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

I have been able to freeze ice in trays at Kidani.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15, Fall 2016
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #9
carlbarry
DIS Veteran

I bring a lot of food, due to religious food requirements. The mini-fridge can hold quite a bit, and I've had no problems keeping food frozen in the little freezer compartment. I just turn the thermostat down--which last time at OKW (Dec. 2011), caused some of the liquids in the non-freezer part to freeze!
On the other hand, the same trip I also stayed at the Wyndham Grand at Bonnet Creek. The micro-fridge there barely kept the items cool, even after I pulled the unit out and turned down the thermostat on the back.

carlbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #10
Meriweather
Maybe we will have an arrival or two today
Time to share your chocolate!

have had bottles of water freeze in the refrigerator and ice cream melt in the freezer section.
But it works fine as a refrigerator. We have milk, cheese and lunch meat all the time.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:10 AM   #11
MinnieLee
DIS Veteran

We keep drinks on the door and never had a problem. The compartment is not all that big but holds what we need. The freezer is tiny and I would not chance hoping that things woulkd stay frozen.

One thing is to make sure that you check that the temp is turned down. We did run into a couple of times where someone had turned the temp up and it did take awhile to cool down again.

MinnieLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #12
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

As others have already posted, check the temp first thing & turn it down. Housekeeping usually turns it up. I always use the little freezer. We often get a large box (24 count) of frozen waffles delivered with our Garden Grocer order and I can fit them in without the box (they come in 2 plastic sleeves so I just put those in separately) along with an ice cube tray. The frig. holds a good amount. We always keep 1 shelf filled with cold water bottles and I usually get items like margarine, cream cheese, strawberries, milks, soda, beer etc. and there's plenty of room.

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #13
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

Thanks everybody, this will make my gluten-free-frozen-waffle-eating DH happy knowing he can have his waffles on vacation, too

I appreciate all of the responses! This makes me feel better! Note to self, check the fridge thermostat as soon as I get in the room!!! I also have one of those portable fridge thermometers too- I'll have to remember to bring that.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #14
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
These are real undercounter refrigerators, not just coolers like at the value resorts.

Check the temperature dial before you put stuff in the refrigerator and leave it.
In 2010 the studio I had didn't have a freezer compartment at all. In all my DVC stays this was the one and only time I encountered this. Maintenence came up and tried to put in the "regular" refrigerator/freezer kind, but the counter was an inch or two short.

This was in AKV-50112. I'd love to know, if anyone's stayed there, have they found a refrigerator/freezer to fit? I hope so!
Old 10-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #15
wdwfan1
DIS Veteran

The freezer can hold ice cube trays and Mickey bars. That is all we need! lol

wdwfan1

I have been boo'd by wisbucky!
wdwfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: