Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board > Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
cherrymarzipan
DIS Veteran

Possibly the most long-winded.... THIRD AND FINAL PART

We loved all the little Meridas around the park in their beautiful dresses and many of them with red curls as well. In fact I’d quite fancy that dress for myself . I took Oliver to see Brave just before our trip and so he was full of it. He already had a Merida soft toy that he chose from the park in the summer and we gave him the black horse plush, Angus, as part of his birthday present. He keeps trying to mime firing a bow and arrow but he isn’t quite coordinated enough. He was very pleased with the Brave posters in the lifts at the hotel.

I remember Aurynn saying in her trip report earlier this year that one of the small pleasures in DLP is the chance meetings and little chats with other guests and it’s true. We met a couple one night waiting for Dreams who had travelled down on a whim the previous day from Wales. They had been considering going to the theatre and thought, “Why not go to DLP instead?” How cool is that?! They took their lap-top with them, went straight into MacDonald’s in the Village and booked a hotel from there for a couple of nights. Now that’s what I call a spontaneous trip!

We were also sat on a table next to a lovely little boy and his dad at breakfast one morning. It was their first trip so they had all sorts of questions and we enjoyed hearing the little boy’s first impressions.

Talking of people, the weekend was mega busy. I’ve never had to get a timed ticket (on a disabled pass) for the Molly Brown ride before. With the weather so pleasant though we just did fewer rides and more walk-throughs like the fort and Aladdin’s Enchanted Passage as well as simply walking around soaking up the Halloween atmosphere.

There were soft openings of the Halloween Street Party show throughout the weekend so we watched these which are very colourful and fun and provide more character meet opportunities afterwards.

Sally and Jack Skellington were out from the weekend too.

Other villains we met were Captain Hook, Dr Facilier, Lady Tremaine and the ugly sisters, Cruella, Gideon, Ratcliffe, Snow White’s evil queen, Maleficent, Queen of Hearts and Gaston.

The regulars had a range of Halloween costumes like Pooh Bear, Mickey, Minnie, Tic and Tac, Goofy, Donald and Daisy.

I’m not sure if Esmerelda and Clopin really count as villains but we were thrilled to see them as we’ve not seen them out since the 5th Anniversary celebrations which was Hunchback of Notre Dame themed. That’s how we first saw Sleeping Beauty’s castle – covered in jester colours!

This trip we also saw Alice and the Mad Hatter, Aladdin and Jasmine, Dum and Dee, Perla and Suzy, Mary Poppins and Bert, Tigger, Rabbit, Eeyore, Piglet and probably some others that I have forgotten for the time being plus princesses Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Rapunzel. We have stopped collecting autographs but I make albums for Oliver of all the character photos. I just wish we could buy a Disney album that takes the professional photos as we have so many of these.

What else, oh yes, Oliver got to “drive” the train on Casey Junior. Using the disabled pass we are usually directed to the same wagon on this little train every time but this time he got to sit in the engine compartment which pleased him.

A particularly special mention must be made for CM Loic who was exceptionally kind to us. We had saved the last of the second set of photo vouchers we had purchased for a picture of Oliver with Goofy by his bonbon machine.

It was our last morning and we had planned to leave at 12 to leave plenty of time for our return Euro Tunnel booking. The photographer was not there first thing but the CMs said he should be there later in the morning. We returned but he wasn't there so CMs suggested we asked at City Hall and they sent us over to the photo shop. We were passed on here to Loic who appeared like magic, I’m not quite sure where from. When we explained what we had hoped for and that we really had to leave any minute, he phoned around and managed to get a photographer over just for us. It was so kind and not only that but he gave Oliver his Goofy pin as he, Oliver, was wearing his new Goofy hoody. I have written to guest services to thank Loic again. Some wonderful pixie dust!

And lastly, and I wish I’d had my camera handy to take a photo, we had a shock when we saw our car again at the end of the trip. It had been parked under a pine tree and had turned yellow! It was grey when we arrived but had been covered in pollen.

So there you have it – my first trip report, not very organised I’m afraid and I am sure I have left a lot out. Reading others’ TRs I realise how meticulously noted and photographed they are but I hope mine gives a flavour of the fun we had and why we keep coming back!
cherrymarzipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
edwardemmao
Earning My Ears

Sounds like you had an amazing time !
The pics are lovely and you can see the twinkle in his eyes x

I love your style of TR as it makes it seem we are just chatting about your trip (if that makes sense....)

p.s. We are going in 20 sleeps () and our youngest has aspergers and adhd, so will be getting an access pass - are they easy to use?
edwardemmao is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
cherrymarzipan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardemmao View Post
Sounds like you had an amazing time !
The pics are lovely and you can see the twinkle in his eyes x

I love your style of TR as it makes it seem we are just chatting about your trip (if that makes sense....)

p.s. We are going in 20 sleeps () and our youngest has aspergers and adhd, so will be getting an access pass - are they easy to use?
Oh thank you!

I hope you have a brilliant time when you go. Yes, the access pass is very easy to use, just present it at the exits to most attractions and you should not have long to wait. Occasionally you may be asked for your child's AP as identification at the same time - not sure what non-AP holders would show, passport perhaps? I'm not sure why they don't make it a credit card sized photo pass like the APs themselves.

At some rides you have to take a timed return ticket which depending on the understanding of your child can be a little difficult but we just distract ours by going somehwere else straight away. The pass can also be used at the exits to the Princess Pavilion and Mickey's Theatre - there are buttons to press there for attention.

We usually try and wait patiently for characters with eveyone else although Oliver is often spotted by the accompanying CM as obviously disabled and brought forward. If there is a badly managed scrum though I will sometimes approach the CM and show the card. At queued meet and greets it is easy to go to the exit lane and wait to catch the CM's attention. For watching parades and Dreams there is a roped off enclosure for the access pass holder and one person accompanying. The access to this is on the Adventureland side of Central Plaza. City Hall are very helpful if you have any difficulties.

Have fun!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
angel_nix
DIS Veteran

Brilliant TR and what wonderful magic on the final day, Milly was terrified of the bonbon machine, strange child! So glad that Oliver got his final photo
Old 10-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
cherrymarzipan
DIS Veteran

Not strange at all. Actually so was Oliver after all the hanging around waiting - he didn't like the way it went "Psst" suddenly every now and then and after our wonderful Loic had gone to so much trouble we had to coax Oliver to have the photo in the end. He loved the machine until then. The photo in my TR was one I had taken earlier in the day when he was more relaxed. He is still as keen on Goofy though and only this morning he rejected the "Grumpy" hoody I had put out for him to wear and demanded his Goofy one.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
Paris Fan
Sharing the magic on Twitter! ✨

Great report from start to finish.
Paris Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
DLPDreams
I am like a child in a sweet shop, all hyper on sugar

What a wonderful TR Cherry. I enjoyed every bit of it .

I am so pleased that Loic was able to help you and Oliver on your last day - how lovely, and how nice of you to take the time to let City Hall know about it. We are all too quick to complain at times when things go wrong, but I think giving praise where it is due is important. I had to complain about our June trip and the issues at the DLH but made sure I praised Snow White at the Auberge as she was simply amazing with our little girls.

Back end Nov - so are we, and I can't wait!!

PS - You did amazingly well seeing so many characters - wow! Did you get to see Jack & Sally at all? Can't wait to see them during our trip - I am super excited!
Old 10-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
cherrymarzipan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris Fan View Post
Great report from start to finish.
Thank you so much, it makes it seem worth the effort and it is fun having so many like-minded people to share the memories with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPDreams View Post
What a wonderful TR Cherry. I enjoyed every bit of it .

I am so pleased that Loic was able to help you and Oliver on your last day - how lovely, and how nice of you to take the time to let City Hall know about it. We are all too quick to complain at times when things go wrong, but I think giving praise where it is due is important. I had to complain about our June trip and the issues at the DLH but made sure I praised Snow White at the Auberge as she was simply amazing with our little girls.

Back end Nov - so are we, and I can't wait!!

PS - You did amazingly well seeing so many characters - wow! Did you get to see Jack & Sally at all? Can't wait to see them during our trip - I am super excited!
Here's to super weather and a great time at the end of November then!

We did indeed see Jack and Sally, at their cemetery, and Oliver had a lot of fun although he did get a bit tangled up in Sally's hair! We were having such fun I only took one photo which sadly wasn't brilliant so I didn't put it in the TR. So what is this about J & S still being around for the Christmas season? It seems a little odd to me but I haven't looked into what's going on at Christmas in DLP yet.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
DLPDreams
I am like a child in a sweet shop, all hyper on sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrymarzipan View Post

Here's to super weather and a great time at the end of November then!

We did indeed see Jack and Sally, at their cemetery, and Oliver had a lot of fun although he did get a bit tangled up in Sally's hair! We were having such fun I only took one photo which sadly wasn't brilliant so I didn't put it in the TR. So what is this about J & S still being around for the Christmas season? It seems a little odd to me but I haven't looked into what's going on at Christmas in DLP yet.
Yes, hope the weather is kind, although I am packing everything warm/layers so we will be OK no matter what .

First time ever Jack & Sally are in the park for Christmas (where they are now in FL). If you think about it, it's not that odd, they come from the film 'Nightmare before Christmas' so primarily came from Christmas season. I shrieked with joy when I read it as I've never met them (and DD1 would love to meet Jack) - with all the stuff about Belle's Village going and no MWW etc I was beginning to wonder if we had made a mistake booking, but the more I read snippets about what is going on this year, the more excited I get! New (largest ever) tree for Town Square which promises the best 'ever' decorations apparently (but as I said on another post here, they keep saying 'the best ever' or the best time to come all the time, so you can't necessarily believe the hype ). Having said that, we have never been at Christmas before and are soooo looking forward to it - just the tree lighting will be enough for me. Just hoping the queues for things aren't too long...
Old 10-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
cherrymarzipan
DIS Veteran

Ooooh, sounds lovely! And of course you are right, how silly of me to forget the title of the film! Just got so used to seeing them at Halloween.

I'm hoping we won't find the park that crowded as it is before the school holidays start. As to the cold, we've been for the last couple of Christmases, and nearer to Christmas at that, and as you are well prepared you will be fine. POTC is the best ride to warm up in, from the moment you enter the dark interior.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:07 AM   #11
rugrats
Mouseketeer

Have just finished reading your trip report. Fabulous! Thank you
rugrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:31 AM   #12
MissSkellington
Of cabbages and kings...

I just adore your trip report! And I love how pleased your son appears to be being there (likewise the CMs, they seem happy to have him there!)...melts my heart.

Our DS (10) also has ADHD/Aspergers and we've always gotten the guest assistance cards at the US parks by just explaining the circumstances at City Hall. Its my understanding that here, you have to supply a letter? Anything specific that I should make sure it includes? And is it ok if it's in English?

And what's a scrum? Lol...sorry, I'm guessing it's slang for something? I see it used often on here, but no idea what it means.
*WDW 2005 - POP (April) *DLR 2008 (May) - offsite
*DLR 2008 (Oct) - offsite *DLR 2009 (Dec) - offsite
*WDW 2011 (Feb) POR *1st DLRP 2012 (Nov) SL
*DLRP 2013 (Feb) NPBC *DLRP 2013 (June) DLH
*DLRP 2013 (Oct) SL *DLRP 2013 (Nov) HNY *DLRP 2014 (Jan) DLH
MissSkellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #13
cherrymarzipan
DIS Veteran

Thanks to everyone for all the encouragement.

Miss Skellington, as far as I know you will need something official to show City Hall for the disabled access pass. Our son has a "blue Badge" so we show that but I think others have shown doctor's letters. The fact that this is in English will be no problem.

"And what's a scrum?" Ah... well, "A disordered or confused situation involving a number of people" and in my context it is an ill-mannered group of people who have no regards for anyone but themselves. You see not all character meet and greets are organised with queues, some are more improptu and shall we say, chaotic? It tends to happen more when it is school holiday time throughout Europe. Unfortunately, occasionally, not everyone understands the courtesies of turn taking and personal space. It can be a bit intimidating to those of us not used to such behaviour and is really very unfair. Having said that, lately there have been so many more characters out that the crowds eager for autographs and photos are more thinly dispersed. There are plenty of organised opportunities for meeting characters.

Are you going soon?
Old 10-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #14
MissSkellington
Of cabbages and kings...

Thank you! I found it odd that you have to have some sort of letter here (as they aren't allowed to ask for that in the states)....so I'll have to have DS's doctor here write up something....hopefully something that states his condition and needs will suffice.

AWWW! A scrum.....Now it makes more sense...definitely not looking forward to a messy queue, or rowdy guests, but I'm sure we'll make due! We lived in England for 3 years (military) and I'd never heard that word before this site! Lol

And yes...we're going to DLP for the first time in about 6 weeks, over our Thanksgiving for a week... Fingers crossed it won't be too busy?! We're very excited!
*WDW 2005 - POP (April) *DLR 2008 (May) - offsite
*DLR 2008 (Oct) - offsite *DLR 2009 (Dec) - offsite
*WDW 2011 (Feb) POR *1st DLRP 2012 (Nov) SL
*DLRP 2013 (Feb) NPBC *DLRP 2013 (June) DLH
*DLRP 2013 (Oct) SL *DLRP 2013 (Nov) HNY *DLRP 2014 (Jan) DLH
MissSkellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #15
Aurynn
Mouseketeer

It might not be in chronological order all the time but your TR really gives me a sense of what your trip was like. I'm really happy that you guys had such a good time.
Meeting people is just the best, isn't it? It keeps surprising me how many lovely people (CMs and guests alike) I meet every time I visit.
Aurynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: