Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
deezy
Earning My Ears

Help Deciding!! Best for young kids?

Hi all!

I need your help deciding where to stay on our up coming trip. We're booked at AoA, Nemo, but traveling with three young kiddos - 5,3, 5mths - DW and I are concerned about the hassle of busing back and forth from the parks to the hotel with strollers, many midday breaks, etc.

We'll hit each park once but spend the majority of our time in MK, so i guess that is our main concern. We know we'll have to do the buses some, but would monorail/boat access to MK really be more convenient/easier than busing everyday.

We've stayed at the WL in the past and loved the easy boat access to MK, but we've never stayed at a resort with the monorail access. Any one with experience... what is the best all around option for traveling with little ones/lots of gear? Just looking for something that kiddos will enjoy but will be easy to travel to/from at least twice a day.

Thanks!!!
deezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:11 AM   #2
princessap
DIS Veteran

I was trying to figure out the same thing! We have three daughters almost identical to your kids ages. I wanted akl but decided on AOA suite for the extra bedroom and bathroom. I dont know how the baby will sleep while there so the extra room is nice. We are only doing a two night stay this time added on to another trip but one of those days is a resort day. AOA looks great for kids...only thing I am starting to worry about is the reviews of the foodcourt keep getting worse

While I would love blt, it holds no appeal to my dh or DDs.

good luck deciding. as someone said on here once or twice, your kids will be at disney and love it! I think we as parents overthink it sometimes, while at least I know I do! lol

good luck. when do you go?
princessap is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 05:19 AM   #3
TSM
Mouseketeer

We were at AoA in Sept. And loved it especially for young kids.we had no problems with bus or food court. We came back to our room to relax and swim everyday and had no problems with bus service. It was actually really good and we traveled with a stroller and cooler and large bag. When we went to chef mickeys at contemporary she even said who would want to stay here its not Disney world.(someday she will change her mind but for now very happy she is thrilled with a value). Had no problems at food court and we were there opening day of little mermaid and it was supposably totally booked.

Last edited by TSM; 10-09-2012 at 05:21 AM. Reason: typos
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
butsy113
AKV Owner

You could do Contemporary, for the walking path to MK or Poly.

Poly
volcano pool
O'hana- character breakfast
electric water parade and Wishes from beach
monorail

Contemporary
Chef Mickey
monorail
walking path to MK

My vote would be Poly for the atmosphere. We also like to be detached from the parks when we aren't at them (Our fav is AKL). It is truly a personal preference though. Have a great trip!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Poly IMO has the best transportation with monorail or boat to MK, and short walking path to TTC for Epcot monorail.
I think kids will have fun where ever they stay. It's more where you will be more comfortable. Because when the parents are happy, everyone is happy!
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Sue M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
TJA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezy View Post
Any one with experience... what is the best all around option for traveling with little ones/lots of gear? Just looking for something that kiddos will enjoy but will be easy to travel to/from at least twice a day.
This would definitely be us! Lots of experience here with young kids (twins) that have been going to disney since they were babies, now age 9. To get directly to the heart of your question -- what is the best option with little ones and lots of gear/strollers. Based on our experience, the CR is your best option. The monorail is great, yes, and you can push your stroller right on the monorail without having to unload it and fold it. But, really, nothing beats the convenience of a walking trail right to MK when that's the park you want to be at most often. It's only a 10-15 minute walk back and forth between MK and CR. Hard to beat that. If cost is a factor for you, there is the wing at the CR that is substantially less money than the tower.

Your kids will be happy anywhere. At those ages, what is the most important is that the adults are as relaxed as possible -- staying at CR will help that cause due to the ease of getting around. The lobby at CR is nothing to get excited about, but the 4th floor is where you will be most often and that has Chef Mickeys, monorail running through it, arcade, shopping, fast food, views are spectacular. My kids love it, and honestly so do we.
2006 ~ YC & BC
2007 ~ Poly & BC & CR
2008 ~ POR & WL & BC
2009 ~ CBR & BC CL
2010 ~ Poly & CR / BC CL
2011 ~ BC CL & Poly CL
2012 ~ WL & BC CL / CR CL
2013 ~ BC CL & Poly CL & WL CL
2014 ~ Poly CL TPV & BC CL, Poly CL TPV again
TJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
PeachesDoesHair
Mouseketeer

We stayed at AoA the last week of September with four kids (9, 7, 3, and 10 months). We had a double stroller, diaper bag and bag of water that we lugged around with us each day. Extra room was very nice. I was thankful to be able to lay the baby down in the crib in the master-bedroom for her nap. The other kids were able to watch tv, play, get ready for a swim all without waking her up. Also, two bathrooms were very appreciated. As far as the bus with baby gear, I'm not going to lie, it is a little bit of a pain. However, for us, we really aren't on the bus that long compared to the park or our room. We've stayed at Pop twice and AoA once, and thus far have not had any major issues with buses and stollers. I will say though, if a bus is standing room only we usually decide to wait for the next one as we have too many kids with a stroller to manage while standing.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachesDoesHair View Post
We stayed at AoA the last week of September with four kids (9, 7, 3, and 10 months). We had a double stroller, diaper bag and bag of water that we lugged around with us each day. Extra room was very nice. I was thankful to be able to lay the baby down in the crib in the master-bedroom for her nap. The other kids were able to watch tv, play, get ready for a swim all without waking her up. Also, two bathrooms were very appreciated. As far as the bus with baby gear, I'm not going to lie, it is a little bit of a pain. However, for us, we really aren't on the bus that long compared to the park or our room. We've stayed at Pop twice and AoA once, and thus far have not had any major issues with buses and stollers. I will say though, if a bus is standing room only we usually decide to wait for the next one as we have too many kids with a stroller to manage while standing.
What did your kids think of the resort?? We are thinking of staying here for 2 nights in March....we are doing one resort day and DTD/mini golf...and one day at MK...will have own car....is it far to drive to MK??
Old 10-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
MikeRx
Mouseketeer

A vote for the POLY

If the MK is your primary destination then I can say the POLY is an excellent choice. No bus hassle for MK or EP. Easy bus transfer from POLY or TTC to AK and HS. Theme is great for the kids and the parents and wishes from the POLY beach is one of the top 10 must dos. I know the POLY is significantly more expensive, but with a well placed 35% off deal it is well worth the extra cost. You have 3 options for the midday break (Boat, Ferry or Monorail) from the MK and if you go to the TTC you have express access to EP!

We have a 4yo and focused much of our visit on the MK in April. It was great to have a short trip “home” from the MK. We will be going back to the POLY in April 2013, but will have a POP visit in December. I’ll let you know how that goes….buses everywhere…

Mike

Mike DW DS (4) DMIL

First visit 1976, WDW 2/2010 BC CL, Disneyland GC 12/2010, WDW 4/2012 POLY TPV, WDW 7/2012 (off site meeting), WDW 12/12 POP and 4/2013 POLY with Disney Dream cruise!

MikeRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
MikeRx
Mouseketeer

and another thing...

Riding the monorail or ferry or small launch is actually part of the excitement for our son. He gets to ride a "mini monorail" at the airport, the "real" monorail from the POLY and the train in the MK, it's a good day!

As most have stated, the bus is definitely not a highlight for anyone.

Mike

Mike DW DS (4) DMIL

First visit 1976, WDW 2/2010 BC CL, Disneyland GC 12/2010, WDW 4/2012 POLY TPV, WDW 7/2012 (off site meeting), WDW 12/12 POP and 4/2013 POLY with Disney Dream cruise!

MikeRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
PeachesDoesHair
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
What did your kids think of the resort?? We are thinking of staying here for 2 nights in March....we are doing one resort day and DTD/mini golf...and one day at MK...will have own car....is it far to drive to MK??
Our kids loved the resort! We were in the Cars section, and Radiator Springs is just stunning. We booked a bounceback offer for AoA again. I asked the kids where they would like to stay and they all said AoA.

As far as driving, I am not sure. We flew in and did not rent a car. I think the bus trip to the MK was right at 15 minutes. It's closest to Hollywood Studios.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #12
princessap
DIS Veteran

thanks we would book nemo as we have three girls. Do you mind me asking what the bounceback offer was?

Was there lots to do at the resort? planning to hang out there the day we check in...maybe do dinner somewhere but not sure
Old 10-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
deezy
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone. I think we've narrowed it down to either poly or AoA, probably leaning towards poly. I do think the kids would like AoA but I think the convenience of poly would be really nice, at least until everyone is a little older.

Anyone have anymore tips or input regarding Poly as far as rooms go? Can you book a specific longhouse or location?
deezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #14
PeachesDoesHair
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
thanks we would book nemo as we have three girls. Do you mind me asking what the bounceback offer was?

Was there lots to do at the resort? planning to hang out there the day we check in...maybe do dinner somewhere but not sure
It was a free dining bounceback offer.

There was a daily pool party with games that my kids went to with grandma a couple of times.

They also had daily times where you could learn to draw with an animator in the lobby that looked fun but we never had time. They had outdoor movies in the Lion King area as well. :-)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: