Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #91
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTikiDaddy View Post
How odd, last time there I preferred the food to the character, they were barely going through the motions last time. Rather do dinner there anyways...

Last trip we stayed at EMHs and the bus was crammed. Audrey had already passed out so I had her in one arm, the stroller in the other, and a near-passed out Amelia. One amazing family offered me a seat but I let Amelia use it, another dad held my stroller for me so I could hang on to balance. Amelia passed out too, the other fam kept her from falling over in her seat. Wonderfull, wonderfull people to help out.
Character interaction was again superb. Last time, we had Alice and Hatter together and they put on a show for our table. This time we were seperate, but Alice did a special pose with oldest dd (dd told favorite character) and Hatter was quick to make up jokes on the spot. Both were wearing their Highland Elementary shirts and he asked if they lived in the Highlands. When they answered they were their cross county shirts, he gasped that they ran across the country!
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion

Last edited by AirGoofy; 10-09-2012 at 07:47 PM.
AirGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #92
theduck619
DDC 188
I love that middle crease between the two straight sections
It's a secret passge to a man cave

Great update Norm

DisDad Member #188

We are home!- 8/22/14 Follow the adventure at:
http://nicelyfamilyadoptionadventure.blogspot.com
theduck619 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #93
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck619 View Post
Great update Norm
Thanks.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Old 10-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #94
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!

Dinner tonight was Citricos. This would be our first and last trip. Here we are at CR on the way over. I nice enjoyable monorail over.

Here we are in front of the restaurant.

There is a sign to Victoria & Albert's.

Now, the restaurant is 3/4 EMPTY, and we get a remote buzzer to alert us when our table is ready. We were 10 minutes early, and it went off before DW could tell me why we had a buzzer. Too pretentious for me. We split a bottle of wine.

Bread started out good.

First course was sauteed shrimp. Yummy.]

Second course was charcuterie. Cherizo and almonds excellent. Other choices were not very good.

I had filet. Prime Rib at SSR was better and cheaper.

DW had veal. I thought it was dry.

Oldest dd had braised short rib (1) over pasta with mushroom. Thr menu was plural (ribs). Really, one rib. Pretentious. She didn't like it on top of that. I thought the pasta and mushrooms were good.

Youngest dd had pizza. She didn't like it. So, we all rotated dishes. I ate pasta, fed youngest steak, and oldest ate pizza. That is not really a problem, but again, I just expected better for the money.

DW and I split banana chocolate torte with chocolate tiara. It was good.

The dds had a lemon cheesecake. It was ok, but I'm not a lemon fan.

The meal was average by WDW standards, and I could have had a better meal at far cheaper prices. It was a nice experience for us and dds, but Citricos falls down on the Signature list by Flying Fish and Artist Pointe. Been there, done that, won't be back. Of course, since V&A's is right next to Citricos, I am wondering if the food is actually worth it, or if it will just be small portions of overpriced food that I can get elsewhere. I really was thinking of V&A next year, but now, probably not.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187

Last edited by AirGoofy; 09-21-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #95
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!

After a not so great, but super great priced meal, went shopping at CR. I thought this was cool, but I passed on it.n I would rather buy the Dole Whip. I did buy these. I think crocs are the most comfortable shoes ever, so I'm sure the Mickey crocs are even better.Then, we dropped off my shoes in the room and went up to the TOTWL. I had a Yuengling, DW had a Mai tai, and dds had lemonade with glow in dark ice cube.

Now, there has been a lot of chatter about losing access to it, but now, I am one who is ready to have it gone. We walked in the door and found a great window seat at 9:08 AM. And, they pipe in music and we could see the fireworks from inside. However, the waiter had not returned to pick up our check after Wishes ended. Really? Disney can't provide quality or enough staff so that in one hour, someone couldn't take a drank order and cash out a ticket? We wanted to go to bed so we could get up early for Epcot commando day tomorrow. So, I unhappily threw in my cash, DW walked it up to bar, and we left. Wishes was really nice, but I'd just assume have the terrace or use terrace at CR and just close it down as opposed to wasting dues on it. Pathetic.

Sorry for the griping. It is late and today was not as magical as the rest. Tomorrow is 8 to midnight at Epcot, and probably won't post a lot of pictures, as I'll need to conserve battery. Have a good evening and post more Thursday morning.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187

Last edited by AirGoofy; 09-21-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #96
BigTikiDaddy
DIS Dad #574
Ya hurt yer what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post

Sorry for the griping. It is late and today was not as magical as the rest. Tomorrow is 8 to midnight at Epcot, and probably won't post a lot of pictures, as I'll need to conserve battery. Have a good evening and post more Thursday morning.
Sorry that the day wasn't as magical, we've all had them I think. (I can think of some off the top of my head). Epcot with the Food and Wine should lift your spirits. There are a few "beer-only" booths, you can enjoy, but sorry, no Yuengling I could have sworn La Maudite or La Fin Du Monde was in one of the booths, but a quick look-up says no, I'd heartily recommend either.

Really enjoying the updates, still sounds better then what I'm doing at home!

Polynesian April '03 (our belated official Honeymoon) POP Century January '06 (DD's first trip and DW's BDay) POP Century February '08 POP Century October 2010 (DD2's First trip and 10th Anniversary) POP Century August 2011 (Just Because)
POP Century August 2013 (see a trend happening?)

BigTikiDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #97
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Thanks for the updates Norm.

Sorry your meal wasn't great. I've thought about Citrocos a few times but I always read mixed reviews.

Hurry on the Yuengling!

Enjoy Epcot tomorrow!
that's nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:10 AM   #98
Live4Surf
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the update. Hope you guys have a great day at Epcot.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2561895 9/10 trip report

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2803757 10/11 trip report

WDW 1975 offsite, WDW July 1992 offsite, WDW-CBR June 1995, WDW- ASM July 1997, WDW-POR July 2001, WDW-ASSp Sept. 2006, WDW-CSR Sept 2007, WDW-CSR Sept 2008, WDW-AKL Sept 2009, WDW-P0P Jan 2010, WDW -BCV/GLP June 2010, WDW-BLT Sept 2010, WDW-OKW/BLT Sept 2011, WDW-BLT October 2012, Aulani - October 2013, WDW - AKV April 2014
Live4Surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:02 AM   #99
Xclusive2WDW
Mouseketeer

Just now catching up. I truly hope your day at Epcot was better! Glad to know I am not the only one who values manners and respect. People who don't give up their seat to older/disabled just have no home training. Your family is gorgeous and you all seem to be enjoying yourselves so don't allow the stuff that goes wrong to interfere with all the magic that goes amazingly right. Keep on keepin on Commando style!!!
Commando Member #216
Lord, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Xclusive2WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #100
cj9200
DIS Dad #412
Double Dog Dare You to post a screaming like a little girl video

Been away for a while and just now caught up. Sorry to hear about Citricos. Haven't eaten there yet and still might give it a try. Don't let it damper your idea about V&A. Separate chefs and kitchens. Although V&A is also pretentious but it is supposed to be.

The kids look like they are having a good time. You better get the shotgun out for when they get older. Enjoy the rest of the stay.
cj9200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #101
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTikiDaddy View Post
Sorry that the day wasn't as magical, we've all had them I think. (I can think of some off the top of my head). Epcot with the Food and Wine should lift your spirits. There are a few "beer-only" booths, you can enjoy, but sorry, no Yuengling I could have sworn La Maudite or La Fin Du Monde was in one of the booths, but a quick look-up says no, I'd heartily recommend either.

Really enjoying the updates, still sounds better then what I'm doing at home!
Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
Thanks for the updates Norm.

Sorry your meal wasn't great. I've thought about Citrocos a few times but I always read mixed reviews.

Hurry on the Yuengling!

Enjoy Epcot tomorrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live4Surf View Post
Thanks for the update. Hope you guys have a great day at Epcot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xclusive2WDW View Post
Just now catching up. I truly hope your day at Epcot was better! Glad to know I am not the only one who values manners and respect. People who don't give up their seat to older/disabled just have no home training. Your family is gorgeous and you all seem to be enjoying yourselves so don't allow the stuff that goes wrong to interfere with all the magic that goes amazingly right. Keep on keepin on Commando style!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj9200 View Post
Been away for a while and just now caught up. Sorry to hear about Citricos. Haven't eaten there yet and still might give it a try. Don't let it damper your idea about V&A. Separate chefs and kitchens. Although V&A is also pretentious but it is supposed to be.

The kids look like they are having a good time. You better get the shotgun out for when they get older. Enjoy the rest of the stay.
Thanks everyone and sorry to be a downer. At Disney, how can it be be bad?

The first part of the day was just relaxing and fun. The problem is expectations. I'm one of those that never requests a specific DVC room. DW doesn't like the ground floor, but that is about it. So, if I expect my room to be a closet on the ground floor, and it's a 14th floor view over Bay Lake, well, then I am really happy. If I expect the park to be at capacity and it isn't, then I am really happy. But, if I expect the opposite - get where I am coming from.

Citricos was the last of the Disney signatures I had yet to try. I still have V&A and all the ones at Swan & Dolphin, but my expectations were to save the best for last. Now, it still may not have been my favorite, but I wouldn't have had it on the pedestal. With the TOTWL, I keep reading about their chance to save it. Again, my expectations were high that Disney was placing at much effort as I was. They probably can make more money renting it out for private events, and CR has a better set-up of getting a drink at Outer Rim and walking out on Terrace as opposed to designating one elevator and tying up staff all evening.

With that, on to Epcot. We had a blast yesterday, and you're about to see why.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Old 10-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #102
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!

Day 5 at Epcot. We picked Wed at EPCOT for evening EMH, 3 hours worth. And, if that wasn't enough, we added a 8:00 AM ADR at Akershus for a 16 hour day. Now, that's commando style.

6:00 AM DW gets up and takes a shower. I walk over to CR for a venti cafe mocha (not Starbucks) as I can't function in AM without caffeine.

7:00 AM We have a monorail issue. We take the monorail from CR to TTC and are waiting for 7:30 AM monorail to Epcot. Staff walks over at 7:30 AM and changes sign to 8:00 and walks away. Just a little use of manners - explain there is a delay and it will be another 15 minutes. Sheesh.

The park is so much extra special when walking thru it when empty.

We arrive at Akershus 12 minutes late from our monorail snafu.

So, we use it to play a little. Nothing like a good sword fight to start the day.

Now, Akershus is not as special as the CRT, but it still is one of our must dos for princess pictures. My dds are still my princesses, so 6:00 AM vacation wake ups and sword fights are a necessity.

Aurora used to be my oldest dds favorite princess - for the blond hair - but no longer (favorite, she still has blond hair). I'm convinced my oldest dd was born talking and has never shut up. However, her first time seeing Aurora, she was speechless and could only shake her head yes or no. Priceless.

Cinderella.

Now, Ariel is oldest dd's favorite after spending a year on the swim team. She doesn't like to competitively swim, but she is an excellent swimmer now nonetheless.

Youngest dd always preferred Snow White. I think it is in one of the earlier Trip Reports, but we had seen all the Disney princess movies at that time with both. At 15 months, dd's first trip, she was scared of everyone and would get in picture, but only with parent. The following year, we went. She was acting the same with all the characters until we got to Princess pavilion, whe she sees the other princesses, but runs past them and cuts in line to hug Snow White. She has been hooked ever since.

Here was the standard food - eggs, hash browns, and bacon. BACON!!!

And, I do like their cold buffet - fruit, cheeses, croissant, lingonberry, cinnamon roll, and something new this year - chocolate Danish.

We had the main picture with Belle at the entrance, but i can never get the lighting to work with my cell phone - too dark or evil eyes. But, you can take your receipt to photopass and have them scan it to include. Also, you can send your pictures back to the room or front of the park (we do front of park) so you don't have to haul them all day. The gift shop next door takes care of this.

We left Akershus a little after 9 and started our marathon day. I had to include this picture. I have never seen anyone standing in cranberries, other than on TV. Just those little extra Disneytopia magic.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187

Last edited by AirGoofy; 09-21-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #103
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!

After breakfast, we either go straight to Soarin (my favorite ride) or the character spot for pictures, as we still all look clean. You all feel free to vote on these, not that it necessarily will count, but one or more pose will be our Christmas card, with an added description. These were from my camera, but we also do Photopass family pictures and buy sets of Christmas cards from them. Last year, we used Rapunzel, and wished people a Very Hairy Merry Christmas. That is our annual thing as well.

On to the pictures.

Mickey.

Pluto.

Minnie.

Donald.

Goofy.

We figured this out at some point in the trips. Now, we have pictures with 4 or 5 princesses and 5 character pictures at it is 9:00 AM. As the day goes later, lines go longer, and we get sweatier, we won't have to wait for these pictures. Also, it beats having to wait in lines in the sun around Epcot.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Old 10-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #104
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!

Onto Soarin, my favorite ride at WDW. We will ride it twice because it is DW's least favorite ride,, other than TOT, because she does not like heights. She bravely suffers through it. We grab a FP, ride it, and will return at noon with FP time enforcement. The orange smell lingers in the ride for most all of it. Not sure if it is a leak or time for a cleaning.

Then, we head over for Living with the Land, which has a 15 minute wait. This has always been one of my favorites. I should have worked in aquaculture. Then, it is upstairs for Circle of Life.

I can't help to say "propaganda". A few trips ago, we were at Norway and were getting ready to watch the movie. A young boy walks in and sits near us and asks his dad if they can watch the movie. He says no because it is propaganda. We bust out laughing, and every chance I get to use this word (around those who know the story), I do.

Then over to the Seas for Nemo and another 20 minute wait. Afterwards, Crush has too long a line so we check out the fish and they play over in the room. I take this picture every year, but it is the lighting - either too dark or evil eyes.

We go back to ride Soarin and then over to the Figment of the Imagination. How many times have I done this ride? But, at least they have cleaned up the skunk smell so you only get it when you hit the smell labs.

Time to grab my first Mickey Ice Cream sandwich of the trip. We needed a water break and time to rest, so we had planned and were walking to Welcome Home Wednesday.

We stopped by Canada for a picture. Other than penguins, hockey, and glaciers, this was all I could find.

Oldest dd wants to go to Paris. She is my dancer, baker, swimmer (huh?) and is into all that artsy stuff.

I tell her this is all the Paris I can afford.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187

Last edited by AirGoofy; 10-11-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #105
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!

Over to Welcome Home Wednesdaythrough the International Gateway at Epcot. WHW is a DVC thing where members meet once a week for a game show and free stuff(all those dues for the free stuff). They had changed the game show format from Jeopardy this year and it promised more audience involvement. The last one had four main volunteers and all the questions are about DVC. It is a soft sales pitch. You fill out a card for prize draws.

This year, they have games with children and multiple adults, so more people get to participate up front. The main difference was the previous format went to the audience to answer questions when one of the four was wrong. That was missing from the new format.

But, at the last game opportunity of the day, dds volunteer me.

There are two groups of 3. The first task is to balance 3 golf balls on top of each other, the second is to build a puzzle, and the third is to balance a cookie on your forehead and eat it. Which one do I get?

From the size of me, if it had been a cookie eating contest, I would have easily won. But, having to deprive myself of food is definitely not my strength. So, we lost all three events, but still had fun and won pins for participation.

And, when it is over, everyone present gets a hat. It is blue this year, and really cool.

This really was a nice way to take an hour break, sit and relax, and win some free stuff.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187

Tags
beer, dads, live, trip report

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: