Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #1066
padalyn
Truth is stranger than fiction - you really can't make this stuff up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
Meclizine is the main ingredient in Bonine and the Less-Drowsy Dramamine. (I buy a bottle of 100 from the Sam's Club Pharmacy for under $4.) It does make some people sleepy, but it doesn't have that effect on me. It's a once-a-day pill, so take it at bedtime if it makes you sleepy.
everyone is different - benadryl doesn't make me sleep until I get to almost 100mg! If I need it while onboard I go to medical and get it for free.
9/12/14:.....14 day Eastbound Panama Canal (on the Wonder) (part 6)
Oct - our one year anniversary - the last of 7 trips to celebrate our first year together! (part 7)
2/8/15:.....B2B Magic Cruises - one to be cancelled (EBTA instead!!)
5/15/15:...EBTA northern itinerary
July 2015....Vero Beach for turtle watch!
Nov 2015.....family trip to WDW for Thanksgiving
Past trips: .. .. .. WDW: (no longer counting). . . . . . . . .DLR:5 . . . . . . . . . .DLP:2 . . . . . . . . .The rest? not planned yet!
. .Cruises.(27 with total nights: 191)[Fantasy x3; Dream x4; Magic x12; Wonder x9]. . ABD:Imperial Cities
.DVC member since 2001
Oct 12, 2013: our handfasting day!!!! The most important day of my life.
2012:My Grand Slam!.. .. .. .. 4 - 3 - 2 - 1....4 ships, 3 ports, 2 coasts, in 1 year!!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #1067
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Good morning! We arrived home late last night from a quick trip to WDW to go to Mickey's Halloween party (MNSSHP). Fun! Finally got to walk through the new Art of Animation - such vibrant colors and scenes! Hubby and I go back later this month for a quick trip to Epcot alone for Food & Wine festival - our first trip there without the kiddos (shhhhh!) and then I take my 2 year old and my parents on the Magic out of Galveston in November. Think we are cramming it all in within a month LOL!

Read through the posts really quickly - hope all questions got addressed. Welcome to the new cruisers! If you are interested in the Tremont group rate I mentioned a few pages back, please let me know ASAP. We are right on the verge of having enough to qualify for the group rate ($209 on that Friday night, much less on Wed/Thurs nights)

I hope everyone has a fantastic day!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #1068
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Oh - for WBTA in 2011 I used the patch my doctor prescribed. Hubby and both kids didn't use anything and were just fine. I'm just the touchy one when it comes to motion sickness
Old 10-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #1069
1KKH
Earning My Ears

Hello- I am actually a "ghost writer" for my mom who will be traveling alone on the TA. This will be her 5th Disney Cruise, but first without my family. I have put in a request to join the Facebook page. She doesn't do the boards or Facebook, but always loves all my information- so I thought I would help her out. I wish I could join you- but can't pull my kids out of school for that long at this point. Thanks for letting me "tag along." I am actually on my countdown for a New Years Cruise on the Dream!
Old 10-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #1070
Eeyore's Tiara
DIS Veteran

Thank you for all your answers about the motion sickness. Has anyone had big waves on one of the transatlantic crossings? And what was that like?
In memory of my late husband: (1957-2008)
Old 10-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #1071
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KKH View Post

Hello- I am actually a "ghost writer" for my mom who will be traveling alone on the TA.
Nice of you to do that for your mom. Glad she finds the info helpful.

Woody
Old 10-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #1072
padalyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KKH View Post
Hello- I am actually a "ghost writer" for my mom who will be traveling alone on the TA. This will be her 5th Disney Cruise, but first without my family. I have put in a request to join the Facebook page. She doesn't do the boards or Facebook, but always loves all my information- so I thought I would help her out. I wish I could join you- but can't pull my kids out of school for that long at this point. Thanks for letting me "tag along." I am actually on my countdown for a New Years Cruise on the Dream!
What a great thing to do! Welcome to your mom...I hope she enjoys the cruise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore's Tiara View Post
Thank you for all your answers about the motion sickness. Has anyone had big wavees on one of the transatlantic crossings? And what was that like?
Oh yea - we were in 30 foot seas for most of the crossing (in late April/early May) in 2007. Here is a photo (I didn't take it, but keep it because no one believes it!) The water is hitting the overhang above the bar at the goofy pool. At one point there were 7 of us in the adult pool. The waves in the pool were such that we were all diving through them to stand up at the other end of the pool - it was AWESOME!!! The crew asked us to leave - we refused, until the First Officer came and asked/told us we had to get out...it was SO much fun...

Oct - our one year anniversary - the last of 7 trips to celebrate our first year together! (part 7)
Past trips: .. .. .. WDW: (no longer counting). . . . . . . . .DLR:5 . . . . . . . . . .DLP:2 . . . . . . . . .The rest? not planned yet!
. .Cruises.(27 with total nights: 191)[Fantasy x3; Dream x4; Magic x12; Wonder x9]. . ABD:Imperial Cities
.DVC member since 2001
2012:My Grand Slam!.. .. .. .. 4 - 3 - 2 - 1....4 ships, 3 ports, 2 coasts, in 1 year!!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #1073
Eeyore's Tiara
DIS Veteran

Wow... I really hope it's not that bad when we go... though it sounds like you had a lot of fun!
In memory of my late husband: (1957-2008)
Old 10-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #1074
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Any more takers for the Tremont rate of $209 on Friday, May 17 in Galveston? I have a list going on the facebook page. Have contract in hand so I can sign. Please PM me as quickly as possible. Thanks!
Old 10-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #1075
knabebug
DCL Fan

My partner & I will be on this TA. It'll be our 9th DCL cruise and our 3rd DCL TA. We love the sea days.

Last edited by knabebug; 10-10-2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 10-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #1076
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by padalyn

Oh yea - we were in 30 foot seas for most of the crossing (in late April/early May) in 2007. Here is a photo (I didn't take it, but keep it because no one believes it!) The water is hitting the overhang above the bar at the goofy pool. At one point there were 7 of us in the adult pool. The waves in the pool were such that we were all diving through them to stand up at the other end of the pool - it was AWESOME!!! The crew asked us to leave - we refused, until the First Officer came and asked/told us we had to get out...it was SO much fun...
Oh no, those photos have really made me think of cancelling.....the cruise we were on in June wasn't as bad as that and we hated it :-( we 'only had' 20ft waves then......

It's not the fact that I was sick, I was lucky to avoid that, but I HATED the motion of the boat going up and down. And we were on a much bigger ship then the Magic.......
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges | July 2015 - Northern European Capitals on the Disney Magic

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Old 10-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #1077
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink1987 View Post
Oh no, those photos have really made me think of cancelling.....the cruise we were on in June wasn't as bad as that and we hated it :-( we 'only had' 20ft waves then......

It's not the fact that I was sick, I was lucky to avoid that, but I HATED the motion of the boat going up and down. And we were on a much bigger ship then the Magic.......
I'm not sure if it is a difference of May versus September, but we have seas as smooth as ice no our crossing last September.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #1078
heatherb819
Mouseketeer

Last year EBTA in May the waters were smooth as glass. You couldn't even tell we were moving, in fact I heard several crew member say that they had never seen waters that smooth. I wouldn't worry too much. We will pray for smooth sailings!!

Disney Magic May 2013 EBTA
Carnival Magic Sept 2012
Carnival Fantasy April 2012
Disney Magic 2011 Transatlantic
Carnival Elation 2010
Disney Magic 2009
Carnival Imagination 2008
Carnival Triumph 2007
RC Majesty of the Seas 2006
Old 10-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #1079
Transatlantic H20
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore's Tiara View Post
Thank you for all your answers about the motion sickness. Has anyone had big waves on one of the transatlantic crossings? And what was that like?
We had 33 ft waves for two days on a TA crossing on the QM2 in May of 05.
It really was like in the movies where everything would slide across the tables! I actually felt LESS sick with the big movements than with the smaller swells. But I know that makes me an oddity
Old 10-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #1080
padalyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transatlantic H20 View Post
We had 33 ft waves for two days on a TA crossing on the QM2 in May of 05.
It really was like in the movies where everything would slide across the tables! I actually felt LESS sick with the big movements than with the smaller swells. But I know that makes me an oddity
I like the big water - find it soothing at night to sleep - like being rocked to sleep. On the Baltic in 2010 we had a bit a rough water (about 12 foot swells) and it was really nice. same deal with the first Alaska in 11...
.DVC member since 2001
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: