Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 04:53 AM   #1
Our 2 Princesses
DIS Veteran

Transportation from Houston airport to Galveston

I was wondering what everyone is doing for transportation. We are thinking of taking advantage of the KSF offer. We will be flying the night before so if anyone has suggestions on airport hotels, we would appreciate that as well. Thank you!!!
6/04 POR 2/11 Wonder
6/05 Wonder 4/12 Offsite
Our 2 Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:45 AM   #2
llqool
DIS Veteran

Location: Stationed in Germany, but STILL a FL resident (yeah!!!!)

We are flying in the night before and doing a one way car rental through Enterprise at HOU. They are the only rental agency in Galveston that will let you do a drop off. Originally we were going to stay near the airport and drive down the next morning, but I had read some unfavorable reports about the area near HOU. And my husband's sister lives south of Houston and has offered to let us spend the night, so that's what we're doing instead of getting a hotel.
llqool is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

We are flying in the evening before and staying in a motel near the HOU airport. Will go back to the airport in the morning and catch the DCL transfer to the port.
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
Our 2 Princesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Diz
We are flying in the evening before and staying in a motel near the HOU airport. Will go back to the airport in the morning and catch the DCL transfer to the port.
We were wondering if this would be the best way to get there too. Do you know how much this Is per person roundtrip? Also, have you decided on a hotel yet? TIA!!
6/04 POR 2/11 Wonder
6/05 Wonder 4/12 Offsite
Our 2 Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
TinksMomma
Mouseketeer

We are also flying in the night before and renting through Enterprise. We've booked a comfort suites in Galveston for the night before for around $100
Old 10-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
dismom73
It's an illness, I know!
Shares a special day with Disneyland!

For those that have cars booked...are you dropping off in Galveston or somewhere else? We are flying into IAH and I can't find a company that has one way rentals with drop off in Galveston, I even checked Enterprise. Is it a different city name you are dropping them off in?
TIA
Old 10-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our 2 Princesses View Post
We were wondering if this would be the best way to get there too. Do you know how much this Is per person roundtrip? Also, have you decided on a hotel yet? TIA!!
Transfers are $60 per person RT. The Days Inn near Hobby was rated well on Trip Advisor so we are giving that a try.
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
llqool
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismom73 View Post
For those that have cars booked...are you dropping off in Galveston or somewhere else? We are flying into IAH and I can't find a company that has one way rentals with drop off in Galveston, I even checked Enterprise. Is it a different city name you are dropping them off in?
TIA
When I checked on the Enterprise website, it didn't allow me to book it, but I had read it could be done, so I called them and I was able to get it from HOU. They sent me an email confirmation, and it shows pick up at Houston Hobby and drop off in Galveston. The only difficult thing is going to be getting from Enterprise back to the cruise terminal, guess we will just have to take a taxi.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
dismom73
It's an illness, I know!
Shares a special day with Disneyland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by llqool View Post
When I checked on the Enterprise website, it didn't allow me to book it, but I had read it could be done, so I called them and I was able to get it from HOU. They sent me an email confirmation, and it shows pick up at Houston Hobby and drop off in Galveston. The only difficult thing is going to be getting from Enterprise back to the cruise terminal, guess we will just have to take a taxi.
Thank you...I'm guessing they don't have a free shuttle to the port?
Old 10-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
llqool
DIS Veteran

No, unfortunately, there does not seem to be a shuttle. But the island isn't very big, so I'm hoping taxi fare isn't too too much!
Old 10-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #11
dittymau
Earning My Ears

This has been rehashed many times for the november cruises, there has been many locals that do not recommend an overnight stay near Hobby (HOU) Airport. Not the best part of town. The consensus has been to drive Friday evening to Galveston where there are many reasonable hotels and then in the morning return the car and taxi to port terminal 2. This is complicated by the local enterprise office only open till noon on Saturday. I found a good rate at a candlewood suites on the island using HI priority club points.
dittymau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
dizmomof2
DIS Veteran

We are staying the night before at the Wingate near IAH. The next morning we will go back to the airport to get the Disney shuttle.

I called Enterprise about the car rental and they gave me a price of $90. I asked if there were any fees added at the location that were not included in the booking and found out that they have a one way drop off fee of $100 being that this was more then the car we chose the Disney transfers. I called two different agents on different days and got the same price for the drop off. one told me up front and the other only when I specifically asked about it. YMMV
dizmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #13
samily
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizmomof2 View Post
We are staying the night before at the Wingate near IAH. The next morning we will go back to the airport to get the Disney shuttle.

I called Enterprise about the car rental and they gave me a price of $90. I asked if there were any fees added at the location that were not included in the booking and found out that they have a one way drop off fee of $100 being that this was more then the car we chose the Disney transfers. I called two different agents on different days and got the same price for the drop off. one told me up front and the other only when I specifically asked about it. YMMV
I just got the same crazy quote - the mini van rate is 89.99, but after one way fees and all the crazy taxes for picking up at IAH, the total is 256.00 for one day!!!!

From Galveston to IAH is much more reasonable - only a 25.00 one way fee, and not a whole bunch of wacky fees - total is 130.00!
"And so many nights I just dream of the ocean; God, I wish I was sailin' again; Oh, yesterdays are over my shoulder; So I can't look back for too long; There's just too much to see waiting in front of me, and I know that I just can't go wrong...." Jimmy Buffett
samily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #14
disgirl2
Earning My Ears

We are flying in to IAH on the 02NOV and overnighting at an airport hotel. We will take advantage of the breakfast before taking the shuttle back to the airport for the disney shuttle to the pier.
disgirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:01 AM   #15
jkhilgeman
Earning My Ears

We changed our flights, we got a better car rental rate out of Dallas, and flight tickets. We are staying at the Quality Inn hotel in Galveston. Two rooms at $65.00 per night, with 2 nights. They are letting us park the car there for the trip there is no charge. It was cheaper to keep the car with free parking than a one way fee. I was told it would only be $4.00 by taxi to the port from that hotel. So we will drop everyone off (6) at our ship check in time and I will drive the couple of miles back and get a cab. On return, I will jump in the cab and bring the car back and pick up the rest of the family. I have seen some better deals if you keep the car, and park for free, out of HOU.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: