Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #16
Tinkermommy
Not too exciting but we all can't have a tipped uterus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleinMaine View Post
DD had 2 favorites. One was a $5 bean bag body sort of doll from Walmart and the other was a Gotz Maxy Muffin that her grandmother got her when she was 2.
My daughter is 11. This was also her favorite doll. She still has it and sleeps with it. They are very small and easy to carry for a little one and the body is soft and nice to hug.

We bought her an expensive doll (can't remember the name around $60) and she didn't like it. Too hard and too big for her to carry around.

The little $5 Walmart doll was the best deal I ever bought for her.

Tinkermommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #17
trish.
Mouseketeer

I second Baby Stella by Manhattan Toy Company.

Cute? Check.

Cuddly? Check.
trish. is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #18
trinchick
Mouseketeer

I know that the bitty twins and all American Girl are a huge favorite on this site, but I think they are better for older kids.

DD had a Madame Alexander doll like a PP mentioned. Boy, she loved that doll. Really sweet face with a nice blush on her cheeks and eyes that open and close. It was the Huggums series, so had soft hands and legs; they have them at Amazon.com and specialty toy stores, but I purchased DD's at TJ Maxx or Marshalls for about $25.

The Corrolle option that a couple of PPs mentioned is also really good.
trinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #19
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

If you're looking for something soft and cuddly, stay away from a bitty baby. They are too large and too hard for a smaller child to carry and love.

You can find soft "babies" at almost any store that sells dolls (or online).
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #20
laughinplace199
AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs

Baby Huggums (made by Madame Alexander) was DD13's first baby doll. Her body is soft and cuddly, but her head is hard. She is smaller and lighter than Bitty Baby, so she's easy for a little one to carry around.

http://www.matildadolls.com/baby_29200.htm

laughinplace199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #21
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

My DD3 loves her Cabbage Patch doll, which is all soft and cuddly. She is starting to want more clothes for it so she can change toe outfit, which is great as she still needs to learn buttons and snaps. She can also play with the hair. She has had it about a year, and still in great condition.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #22
kkandaj
No longer a lurker

DD got Baby Stella (soft and cuddly--doll almost feels like velvet) for her first bday. She got her first bitty baby (torso is soft, the rest is plastic) at her 2nd Christmas. She loved both dolls, but at 6 1/2, she still plays with Bitty Baby almost every day.

DD actually got the caucasian and african-american (she's bi-racial) version of Baby Stella. Both are adorable. About two years ago, she was ready to retire her Baby Stellas--and they are now in her momento box that I have packed away.

If you want cuddly and aren't looking for her to play with the doll for years, Baby Stella is great. But Baby Stella doesn't look like a real baby the way that Bitty Baby does. I think in the end, that's why Bitty Baby won DD over.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #23
ceecee
DIS Veteran

Start her out right...Bitty Baby! The next holidays and birthdays you can add to the collection as she gets older.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #24
DVC96
Mouseketeer

My 18month old DGD LOVES her Disney Baby Belle. She is smaller and softer than the Bitty Baby (she has one of those, too) but really prefers the Baby Belle. We got it at Target - they have some of the other princesses as well.
DVC96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #25
jms920
Mouseketeer

WOW thanks everyone for your replies and help. Are the Bitty baby dolls sold only online or do any stores carry them. I would really love to see one before I buy it for her. I'm going to check out all the other suggestions also.

PopPop and I were in Toys 'r us today. He found a "Sweet Dreams Baby" he liked. It has a sweet face. The head hands and feet are plastic and the body, arms and legs are soft and cuddly. It sucks a bottle, burps and giggles when you squeeze it's tummy. We got it as a back up LOL. We figured with 2 granddaughters, someone will enjoy it

I'm going to start googling all the suggestions right now. I need to get all this done and mailed. It takes forever to ship to the Philippines. I usually transfer money so my daughter can do the shopping. But the dolls there have Asain features, so my daughter wanted one doll that looked like our girls.

Thanks again
JoAnn
jms920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #26
katclicks
Mouseketeer

My dd2 got a bitty baby for her first birthday and adores it. I have an original bitty baby (when they were called cuddly baby dolls) that is 22 years old. I gave her to my dd6 when she was 2. They hold up amazingly well. We are also big fans of the corole dolls.
katclicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:18 AM   #27
MinnieForMe
DIS Veteran

My daughters favorite two dolls were the $5.00 beanbag doll from Walmart and Bitty Baby.

Seriously, Bitty Baby has probably traveled more than most people. Speaking of which, here is a picture of my daughter traveling with Bitty. Did I mention the suitcase she was rolling was Bitty's wardrobe for the week?

2000 - Dixie Landings
2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 at the Sheraton Vistana and Cypress Palms.

Took a break from Disney for Grand Cayman 2013.

2014- Florida and Aruba

I need to remind myself often to: "Enjoy life. To remember that life is not Disney World and you certainly don't want a fastpass. Make the most of everyday and enjoy the ride!"

Last edited by MinnieForMe; 10-10-2012 at 06:26 AM.
MinnieForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #28
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieForMe View Post
My daughters favorite two dolls were the $5.00 beanbag doll from Walmart and Bitty Baby.

Seriously, Bitty Baby has probably traveled more than most people. Speaking of which, here is a picture of my daughter traveling with Bitty. Did I mention the suitcase she was rolling was Bitty's wardrobe for the week?

For a girl your daughter's age, Bitty Baby is perfect.

The OP wants to get her 18 month old granddaughter a soft cuddly doll. My DD got a Bitty Baby for her 1st bday from her grandmother. She didn't carry it around or cuddle with it, as it was too heavy/bulky for her and it was hard plastic.

All she did was gnaw on the head.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #29
MinnieForMe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
For a girl your daughter's age, Bitty Baby is perfect.

The OP wants to get her 18 month old granddaughter a soft cuddly doll. My DD got a Bitty Baby for her 1st bday from her grandmother. She didn't carry it around or cuddle with it, as it was too heavy/bulky for her and it was hard plastic.

All she did was gnaw on the head.
Bitty Baby has stood the test of time in our family. My daughter got her at the age of two (6 months off of the OP's granddaugher). But, we also had about 5 of the $5.00 Walmart soft babies too. She just outgrew them very fast and shall we say "grew into Bitty".

2000 - Dixie Landings
2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 at the Sheraton Vistana and Cypress Palms.

Took a break from Disney for Grand Cayman 2013.

2014- Florida and Aruba

I need to remind myself often to: "Enjoy life. To remember that life is not Disney World and you certainly don't want a fastpass. Make the most of everyday and enjoy the ride!"
MinnieForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #30
mollybug2
Mouseketeer

My daughter got a Manhattan Toys Baby Stella when she was little. It was weighted nicely but was a very soft plush velour. Cute, you could change her clothes, and she was washable!!

mollybug2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: