Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #16
tasha99
DIS Veteran

I don't know . . . there are lots of mediocre deals on Black Friday, but I've found some amazing ones, too. Electronics deals don't seem as good as years past but I got some great household items last year.
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #17
Zhoen
Princess in Shining Armor

I respectfully disagree that BF isn't worth it-- *IF* you know what you're looking for. The article said very clearly that they were *ONLY* tracking online prices and not in-store prices--to include doorbusters.

By that logic, no, you will not get a better price online by going out on Black Friday. REALLLLLYYY sloppy research and/or slanting of the article.

I go out on Black Friday almost every year. I enjoy the crowds and the thrill of the "hunt." I even go to Walmart, and survive every year just fine. (That said, I've never gone for a TV...)

Black Friday has actually gotten MORE fun in the past few years as the ads get leaked beforehand. In the bad-ol'-days you had to wait until Thanksgiving to see what the deals would be and make a snap-decision... these days, you can see a week (sometimes more!) in advance what the deals will be and buy in advance the things that aren't going to be worth the effort on BF.

A lot of the best deals in-store are "special purchase" items that aren't available any other time-- example, the Disney stationary kits that Toys R Us had for $5 last year. We bought 3 and used the little books for autographs on our May trip, the rest of the stuff in the kit (pencils, pen, erasers, pencil case) they got to have early. I saw one of those kits a few weeks ago in the clearance section-- they must have found it in the back somewhere (?)-- still $5.

Last year the staggered sales were a bit of a pain, but I got everything on my list from every store I planned to visit, including BoGo on new-release video games ($50 savings!!!)

It is ABSOLUTELY true that you should not just go out on Black Friday and grab whatever you see with no plan... but I like to hit the stores as they open and have NEVER had a problem getting exactly what I came for. That is from a list I make in advance after comparison shopping all year long...

Last year, I got the crayola glow dome on Walmart Site-to-store for $20ish, but since I was able to pick them up on BF for less ($14.88, I think?) I just returned the extra, higher priced ones. This year, I already have our furbies and holiday barbies... but should they go significantly cheaper, I would re-buy and return the more expensive ones (It would have to be "significant", though, since I got SYWR points or mypoints on them, and returns would affect that.)

So, in all things, use your brain and trust your gut. If you HATE crowds and getting up early, stay home! (Last year, the early openings brought out a LOT of newbies-- it wasn't pretty) This year, as always, we'll read the ads, consider what we already have, and make an informed choice.

As for online shopping/online-only deals... you do those from your phone while you're waiting in the lines in-store!
Zhoen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #18
sksjasams
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhoen View Post
I respectfully disagree that BF isn't worth it-- *IF* you know what you're looking for. The article said very clearly that they were *ONLY* tracking online prices and not in-store prices--to include doorbusters.

By that logic, no, you will not get a better price online by going out on Black Friday. REALLLLLYYY sloppy research and/or slanting of the article.
I completely agree with this. That was my first though as well.
sksjasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #19
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I agree. If I could get the deals we get on BF online I probably wouldn't go out. But the best deals aren't offered online - either the items are in-store only or the coupons from the sales flyers can't be used online or paying shipping significantly cuts into the discount.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #20
DisneyDanielle85
Mouseketeer

I agree with the last three PP if you plan it out it can be fun and you can score a really great deal.

With that being said. I love Black friday and my Hubby-to-be (in 19 days!!!) is a retail mananger and has been for the last 10 years isn't as big of a fan but he still goes out with me before or after his shift. I like to go mainly to people watch. If i find a MUST have of course I try to scout that out first but it's fun for me just to people watch and to get into the holiday spirit and really embrace the christmas season!

~Danielle~
~A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes~ ~Princess Belle!~ "I only hope we don't forget one thing- It was all started by a mouse" - Walt Disney
DisneyDanielle85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #21
littlezar
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I go out on Black Friday almost every year. I enjoy the crowds and the thrill of the "hunt." I even go to Walmart, and survive every year just fine. (That said, I've never gone for a TV...)

Black Friday has actually gotten MORE fun in the past few years as the ads get leaked beforehand. In the bad-ol'-days you had to wait until Thanksgiving to see what the deals would be and make a snap-decision... these days, you can see a week (sometimes more!) in advance what the deals will be and buy in advance the things that aren't going to be worth the effort on BF.

A lot of the best deals in-store are "special purchase" items that aren't available any other time-- example, the Disney stationary kits that Toys R Us had for $5 last year. We bought 3 and used the little books for autographs on our May trip, the rest of the stuff in the kit (pencils, pen, erasers, pencil case) they got to have early. I saw one of those kits a few weeks ago in the clearance section-- they must have found it in the back somewhere (?)-- still $5.

Last year the staggered sales were a bit of a pain, but I got everything on my list from every store I planned to visit, including BoGo on new-release video games ($50 savings!!!)

It is ABSOLUTELY true that you should not just go out on Black Friday and grab whatever you see with no plan... but I like to hit the stores as they open and have NEVER had a problem getting exactly what I came for. That is from a list I make in advance after comparison shopping all year long...

Last year, I got the crayola glow dome on Walmart Site-to-store for $20ish, but since I was able to pick them up on BF for less ($14.88, I think?) I just returned the extra, higher priced ones. This year, I already have our furbies and holiday barbies... but should they go significantly cheaper, I would re-buy and return the more expensive ones (It would have to be "significant", though, since I got SYWR points or mypoints on them, and returns would affect that.)

So, in all things, use your brain and trust your gut. If you HATE crowds and getting up early, stay home! (Last year, the early openings brought out a LOT of newbies-- it wasn't pretty) This year, as always, we'll read the ads, consider what we already have, and make an informed choice.

As for online shopping/online-only deals... you do those from your phone while you're waiting in the lines in-store!
Completely agree! My sister tries to come down for Thanksgiving every year and we head out for "the sport of Black Friday shopping!" I'd say at least the last 2 or 3 years, we were not going for the usual hot items (computers, tvs, toys) but stuff like really good doorbuster prices on bras, sheets, DVD's/Blu-rays, etc!
Old 10-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #22
monarchsfan16
Holy smokes, the DIS is a big place!
Was recognized as a New Englander in Yellowstone because I exclaimed wicked awesome as Old Faithful erupted

Having spent 6 years in retail, I can tell you that the deals are better closer to Christmas. Black Friday just is NOT all that.

And, having worked 6 Black Fridays I can assure you that now that I'm out of retail I will NEVER set foot in a store on Black Friday again, in support of the people who have to cut their holiday short to be at work before midnight, to stay up all night.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #23
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

It is a sport. I shop at Black Friday just as anyone wishes to climb Mount Everest.

I have gotten some deals and "in-person" sales that were crazy insane. The article didn't mention cashmere sweaters, but I think if it did, it might change its mind.

The one thing that isn't mentioned, is the fun and the friendship of attending BF sales.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #24
holden
DIS Veteran

The people I know who shop on BF wind up buying stuff just because they think they can give it to someone. They say they got great deals, but who really wants what they bought?

I ususally finish shopping by mid-Nov. I buy what I know people want and don't deal with the crowds.
DD - 7
holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #25
Callie
Always Dreaming of Disney Magic

I work retail, and a few of our items are always the cheapest on black friday. One for sure is jeans! Also scarves. But most items you can get early if you have our CC!
Old 10-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #26
melancholywings
How do you prepare for a bank full of nuns?
'I'm thinking of a disney character'

It was worth it when DD was little and the things she wanted were door busters. But now that she isn't into toys; there's no reason for me to get up. A lot of the door buster things I've gotten in the past have also ended up being a bit junky.
melancholywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #27
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

A lot of things pushed as *doorbusters* are just to get you in the store to buy other things, that may be on sale, but are not *loss leaders* (especially in the electronic world). You'd be surprised how many people try to get the *doorbuster* then after looking, realize it it not such a great bargain, then will go on to buy a more expensive item.

I do enjoy going out on BF, but mostly to be on the look out for a deal, but with few specific items to buy. I also will not get up at the crack of dawn (or before), but wait until I'm ready, and before the 10am -12noon cut off times for doorbusters at some mall stores.

I have found some good buys on BF, but mostly I find my good buys all year long by keeping my eyes open.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #28
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

I don't think I've been out on Black Friday since I worked retail years ago. I usually shop BF online and have done so well that I don't have to go out. I was willing to last year, but everything I wanted I found online. I'm hoping to have all my shopping done by then this year, but I'm sure there will be things I can't resist, unless I have to leave the house for them
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #29
BeachLove
Mouseketeer

I like the whole Black Friday hunt! Quality family time
BeachLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #30
DisneyWitch
Mouseketeer

Black Friday used to be a good deal when people were more civil and the bargains were better.

Today, you're waiting in line for hours just to get in, with eleventybillion surly people who would as soon stomp on your head to get a gift basket of toiletries for $3. The crowds are just too much and now becoming dangerous (my heart goes out to all those wonderful people in retail who have to deal with these butt-hamsters!) and to be honest, the bargains aren't much better than what I'd get online.

To me, the "bargain" I get on an item or two - assuming it's still there when I get into the store - is totally wiped out by standing out in the cold for hours, dealing with incredibly grumpy / rude / violent people, and then standing in another line for hours just to pay for my stuff. Not to mention the crazypeoplez who then DRIVE afterwards! I swear, cops should charge people for DWD - driving while dumb. Maybe it's something in those bargains that intoxicates people and then they drive as if they're auditioning for the next Mad Max movie!

I'd rather take that day to spend at home with my family, snacking on leftovers, watching TV, and doing a little interweb surfing for my xmas presents!

DisneyWitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: