Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #16
RaySharpton
DIS Veteran

Does anyone have advice for me for a one way car rental from Atlanta, Georgia to Walt Disney World.

My situation is that I don't think that my 23 year old car will make another 450 mile trip.

When I do drive my car from Atlanta to WDW, I always just park my car and exclusively use my own mobility scooter to get around my whole vacation using WDW Bus, boat launches, monorail, and sidewalk transportation to get from one place to another.

I don't routinely rent a car. The last time I rented a car was years ago to use while my car needed maintenance while I needed transportation to work and back home.

I have looked at the information above.

I have seached online for oneway rentals and I have not been very happy with the cost.

I do like that WDW has a Car Center that will shuttle me back and forth to my WDW resort.

But in Atlanta, Alamo only departs from the Atlanta International Airport.

I guess that I have only used Enterprise Car Rental that picks me up and drops me off for the very few times that I have had to rent in Atlanta, Georgia.

Any suggestions or experiences for anyone?

I would appreciate any insight.

On another note, I do not fly airlines. The trains just take too long. Bus is possible, but the mobility scooter and luggage and time may be an issue.

I'll keep researching, but I sure could use some suggestions.

RaySharpton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #17
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Hi Ray...sorry this got overlooked.
Not sure I can be much help. Have you priced out round trip costs??? They might be better.
Or heck...maybe it's time to replace that 23 y/o car!!! I doubt it owes you much. Try checking out Mousesavers website....Mary has a bunch of great rental car info, as well as some decent codes that can be used by most people.
Hope it all works out for you my friend!!! And stay healthy...I want a Ray hug in Dec!!!!

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #18
RaySharpton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Hi Ray...sorry this got overlooked.
Not sure I can be much help. Have you priced out round trip costs??? They might be better.
Or heck...maybe it's time to replace that 23 y/o car!!! I doubt it owes you much. Try checking out Mousesavers website....Mary has a bunch of great rental car info, as well as some decent codes that can be used by most people.
Hope it all works out for you my friend!!! And stay healthy...I want a Ray hug in Dec!!!!
No worries. I can't wait to see you again and give you a hug, too. I'll be at the Swan and BWV, too, if you ever need a car to use.

I found an excellent local mechanic on Angie's List and they fixed my car at a reasonable price and ready to drive the 450 miles down to WDW.

Thank you for your reply.

I have been trying for years to get my head around how to do three things at one time.

I need a SUV/minivan and internal scooter lift and a new mobility scooter and they must all fit together. The mobility scooter has to fit on the lift and the lift has to fit inside the rear of the sub/minivan.

I have narrowed down the choices of two lifts and two mobility scooters, but I am having trouble choosing a vehicle, because I always wanted an Prius for my last car and that definitely won't work.

I just want the vehicle to be a solid performer and environmental in terms of gas, etc..

Oh well. At least I can make one more trip down to WDW this December.

I can't wait to see you again. I miss you.

RaySharpton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #19
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySharpton View Post
No worries. I can't wait to see you again and give you a hug, too. I'll be at the Swan and BWV, too, if you ever need a car to use.

I found an excellent local mechanic on Angie's List and they fixed my car at a reasonable price and ready to drive the 450 miles down to WDW.

Thank you for your reply.

I have been trying for years to get my head around how to do three things at one time.

I need a SUV/minivan and internal scooter lift and a new mobility scooter and they must all fit together. The mobility scooter has to fit on the lift and the lift has to fit inside the rear of the sub/minivan.

I have narrowed down the choices of two lifts and two mobility scooters, but I am having trouble choosing a vehicle, because I always wanted an Prius for my last car and that definitely won't work.

I just want the vehicle to be a solid performer and environmental in terms of gas, etc..

Oh well. At least I can make one more trip down to WDW this December.

I can't wait to see you again. I miss you.
I'm so happy you got the car fixed. Don't want to be worrying about you breaking down along the way to the happiest place in the world!!!
Safe travels...see you in Dec!!! And keep trying to figure out the right vehicle fit for you and your 'stuff'!!!

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #20
DisneyGuess
DIS Veteran

If you drop your car off at the Dolphin (Alamo) before the office is open, is there still a shuttle to bring my husband back to POR? Even if their office is closed?
It may be better to rent from a company that is near DTD so he can catch a bus back. Never been to the Dolphin, is it close to DTD?

DisneyGuess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #21
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGuess View Post
If you drop your car off at the Dolphin (Alamo) before the office is open, is there still a shuttle to bring my husband back to POR? Even if their office is closed?
It may be better to rent from a company that is near DTD so he can catch a bus back. Never been to the Dolphin, is it close to DTD?
I've rented and returned at National/Alamo at the Walt Disney World Disney Dolphin Resort several times. I'm not aware that they offer shuttle service, although, now that I think about, they probably do. But, if it's like typical rental car counters at hotels, the rental car shuttle service is limited to the rental car counter hours of operation.

The National/Alamo hours at the WDW Dolphin are 7 days a week from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

There's WDW Transportation bus service from the WDW Dolphin to MK, DAK, DTD, and the two water parks. There are boats and walkways to Epcot (International Gateway) and DHS.

Instead of trying to get a shuttle back to POR in the morning before the office opens, it might be easier for your husband to return the car in the morning and go directly to whatever park you plan to visit that day (and meet you there), without having to take a shuttle back to POR.

At the WDW Dolphin, you always return your rental car through valet parking, regardless of the whether the counter is open or closed. If you return when the counter is closed, your official return time is the next morning when the counter reopens.

The WDW Dolphin is not at DTD. It's essentially between Epcot (International Gateway) and DHS.

For more information, you can make a phone call:

National Car Rental at Disney Dolphin Resort (ORLR13)
1500 Epcot Resort Blvd
Orlando, FL 32830
(888)826-6890 ext:MAIN
(407)934-4930 ext:LOCAL

Last edited by Horace Horsecollar; 01-21-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Horace Horsecollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #22
DisneyGuess
DIS Veteran

Thank you! That makes a lot more sense than him trying to get back to POR. We're going to Epcot that 1st morning, so he can drop it at 8am & then hop the Dolphins bus to Epcot!
Alamo is cheaper than National, by about $10, so I think that's who we'lll go with!
Thanks again!

Old 01-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #23
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Thank you! That makes a lot more sense than him trying to get back to POR. We're going to Epcot that 1st morning, so he can drop it at 8am & then hop the Dolphins bus to Epcot! goodvibes
From the Dolphin he will just walk or take the boat to Epcot's International Gateway.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #24
Horace Horsecollar

Quote:
Thank you! That makes a lot more sense than him trying to get back to POR. We're going to Epcot that 1st morning, so he can drop it at 8am & then hop the Dolphins bus to Epcot!
There is no bus from the WDW Dolphin to Epcot. There's a boat to Epcot's International Gateway, but it makes two stops on the way, so it's faster to walk to the International Gateway.

Your bus from POR will go to the front entrance to Epcot. There is no bus service to the International Gateway. So you and your husband will arrive at different entrances.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #25
DisneyGuess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
There is no bus from the WDW Dolphin to Epcot. There's a boat to Epcot's International Gateway, but it makes two stops on the way, so it's faster to walk to the International Gateway.

Your bus from POR will go to the front entrance to Epcot. There is no bus service to the International Gateway. So you and your husband will arrive at different entrances.
That's fine, we're planning on eating at the France QS breakfast that morning, so he can just meet us there!

Old 01-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #26
Horace Horsecollar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
From the Dolphin he will just walk or take the boat to Epcot's International Gateway.
Perfect!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #27
gracer9977
Happiness is Disney

subbing

Helpful info we are going to need. Going to rent for the first time on our next trip.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #28
mcj79
Spring time trip to Disney!

Hi! Hoping for some help from the Disney World car rental vets! We are staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort. We would like to rent a car to go over to the coast on Saturday April 27. We will be in Epcot the day before Friday & our resort is considered to be in the Epcot area.

I was wondering what car pick up location is closest to my resort &/or the Epcot park. We may need to drop it off after hours &/or take a park break to go pick it up. I would love to not lose to much time or money doing this! So a spot near Epcot would be ideal with Disney Transport would be ideal.

Because we are needing to get a early start on Saturday I was thinking about getting the car the night before. (This way I could pack it that night & sleep a bit later. Though a early morning pick up might be possible depending on the hours) If I get it the night before I can park it for free park at our resort? Will I need a parking pass or something? Can I get this at check-in, or drop by on my way back from getting the car?

I was thinking about either doing a after hours drop off.. not sure how late we will be out on Saturday or dropping it off Sunday morning before out 10:30am breakfast at the Poly Resort. (again another reason to be close to Epcot / monorail drop off spot.)

ideas?

I have not been to Disney in over 15 years! This trip my lovely wife and I will be celebrating our 5 year wedding anniversary and her B-day!
This will be my wife's 1st trip ever to Disney World! We will be there for her B-Day!!
Two ladies ready for some awesome Disney Magic!
mcj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #29
Horace Horsecollar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj79 View Post
Because we are needing to get a early start on Saturday I was thinking about getting the car the night before. (This way I could pack it that night & sleep a bit later.
The various car rental locations on or near WDW property have limited hours of operation. You're likely to find closing times between 4:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. So getting your car the afternoon before is an option, but getting it the night before is not (unless you find a WDW-area car rental location with unusually long hours).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj79 View Post
If I get it the night before I can park it for free park at our resort? Will I need a parking pass or something? Can I get this at check-in, or drop by on my way back from getting the car?
When you check in at your resort, ask for a parking pass. Even if you'll only use it for a few hours at your resort, a few hours for free parking at a theme park, or not at all, you might as well get it. It costs nothing and only adds two seconds to your check-in time.

Be sure to read this whole thread carefully. I think it will answer your questions.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #30
HappyArtist
Earning My Ears

Is there a car rental place you get your car at Disney, but return it at the airport?
Family Trip #5!

HappyArtist is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: