Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #16
gcarr1426
Earning My Ears

Hi, we upgraded to cbr this past August with the free dining. For us, we spent such little time at the resort that it was totally not worth it. We will be heading to one of the all stars or pop next time
gcarr1426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #17
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by frannn View Post
We have always stayed at the All Stars, and are using the free dining promo again. We want to use the regular dining plan, so we'd have to pay to upgrade from the free counter service at the All Stars. If we go to a moderate, the regular plan is free, but we'd have to pay more for the room. I'm trying to convince DH to stay for 12 nights , since we'll be going in Aug instead of our usual Sept (more crowds & heat = more downtime). It would be 426 more to stay at POR or CB than AS Movies. Thing is, we're not pool people, so that is not a perk for us. Neither is the TS at the resort, since we already have enough "must do" TS to cover all our credits. Would you still choose the moderate for the extra money?
TBH, it doesn't sound as if you would take advantage of the things that make a moderate resort more appealing than a value resort for most people. Unless you find the queen size beds to be worth the price difference? But if it were me, I would upgrade to the moderate because I like the theming around the pools, even if I don't go in. And I like having a TS restaurant on the resort property, in case I decide to stay put rather than head out to dinner in the evening. Plus, I enjoy having that little bit of extra space and the separator between the bathroom sinks and the bedroom area.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #18
gilby
DIS Veteran

We upgraded in August to a moderate, well worth it. And we may never go back to a value hotel again.
2008 Pop-Century
2010 Pop-century
2011 Pop-Century
2012 POR
2013 POR
2014 pop century
2014 Pop century
gilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #19
trinchick
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSuzanne View Post
I agree with most of that, but going back to a Value is not that hard for some of us. We have stayed at all levels and have no problem going back and forth.
I agree with this. We have stayed at deluxe, moderate, and values interchangeably based on our goals for the trip, our available funds at the time, and any active promotions. We know what we're getting before we go and adjust expectations accordingly.
trinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #20
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

We also "upgraded" to CBR. I will not do it again. We just don't spend time at the resort to make it useful & what we do like about the values, was just not at CBR. We HATED where the food court was located & how it was laid out. MUCH, MUCH more convenient at values
dsneprincess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #21
DisneyFansInLINY
DIS Veteran

I would not do the upgrade. The reason being is that no matter what your resort has bus transportation. If you were upgrading to a deluxe resort that was within walking distance to the parks, boat access or was a monorail resort, I would say it is worth it. I have stayed in values, moderate and deluxe resorts. For me, the extra money is only worth it in terms of easy transportation. If it does not have a monorail, boat or walking path, I will not pay the extra money. I do not spend enough time in the room, nor do we use the pool and you stated the same to justify the costs. So I would stay where you are. There is nothing wrong with your resort. You will have an amazing time, you are at Disney!
DisneyFansInLINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #22
melancholywings
How do you prepare for a bank full of nuns?
'I'm thinking of a disney character'

We did moderate for our first trip (Coronado) then Pop for our second. We felt Pop was such a better experience over all. It has a much better food court. Lots of small things that we could take back and store in the room for any late night munching. We didn't feel paying more was worth it.
melancholywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #23
Ciao Mickey
Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!
I'm a blabbermouth and have no self-control

Quote:
Originally Posted by frannn View Post
We have always stayed at the All Stars, and are using the free dining promo again. We want to use the regular dining plan, so we'd have to pay to upgrade from the free counter service at the All Stars. If we go to a moderate, the regular plan is free, but we'd have to pay more for the room. I'm trying to convince DH to stay for 12 nights , since we'll be going in Aug instead of our usual Sept (more crowds & heat = more downtime). It would be 426 more to stay at POR or CB than AS Movies. Thing is, we're not pool people, so that is not a perk for us. Neither is the TS at the resort, since we already have enough "must do" TS to cover all our credits. Would you still choose the moderate for the extra money?
I would definitely pick POR over AS Movies any day. Especially for the length of time that you plan.

My favorite moderate is Dixie Landings/Riverside. Not only are the rooms larger and decorated nicer there is more to do there. There are sit down restaurants in addition to the food court. The pool is much nicer if you do decide to use it. There is a lounge area too.

You can also take a boat to DTD.

People claim that they don't spend much time in their rooms or at a resort to justify the upgrade--Maybe if they had a nicer place to stay then maybe they would spend more time there.
Ciao Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #24
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

Op have you priced a mod,with a room only discount,then pay for regular dining plan yourself,and tix seperately,vs. the package at the values?
I say this b/c sometimes that's cheaper,as there are only 2 of you.
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #25
DisneyFansInLINY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao Mickey View Post
I would definitely pick POR over AS Movies any day. Especially for the length of time that you plan.

My favorite moderate is Dixie Landings/Riverside. Not only are the rooms larger and decorated nicer there is more to do there. There are sit down restaurants in addition to the food court. The pool is much nicer if you do decide to use it. There is a lounge area too.

You can also take a boat to DTD.

People claim that they don't spend much time in their rooms or at a resort to justify the upgrade--Maybe if they had a nicer place to stay then maybe they would spend more time there.
I have stayed at at Poly, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Bay Lake Tower, Dolphin, Caribbean Beach, and POP. Not once did I go in the pool. Not once did I spend much time in my room. Not once did I have the time to explore the hotel and rarely did I eat in their restaurants. I think my rooms at the deluxes and the deluxe villas have been very nice. Yet, I did not spend much time there.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #26
BubMunkeyBles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinchick View Post
I agree with this. We have stayed at deluxe, moderate, and values interchangeably based on our goals for the trip, our available funds at the time, and any active promotions. We know what we're getting before we go and adjust expectations accordingly.
Me too. I'm not loyal at all. I usually stay deluxe because we own DVC, but if I'm paying out of pocket (meaning we went to Disney too much and don't have points left, lol) unless we get an awesome deal on a moderate we'll usually stay in a value. Sometimes I can snag a moderate for $100ish a night and I'll take that rate over a $70-80 value room during off season.

December 3-9, 2014- SSR and BWV
BubMunkeyBles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #27
Ciao Mickey
Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!
I'm a blabbermouth and have no self-control

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFansInLINY View Post
I have stayed at at Poly, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Bay Lake Tower, Dolphin, Caribbean Beach, and POP. Not once did I go in the pool. Not once did I spend much time in my room. Not once did I have the time to explore the hotel and rarely did I eat in their restaurants. I think my rooms at the deluxes and the deluxe villas have been very nice. Yet, I did not spend much time there.
How come?
Ciao Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #28
DisneyFansInLINY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao Mickey View Post
How come?
Too much to see, do and eat at the parks
Old 10-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #29
Alice1386
Mouseketeer

If it were me, I would stay with Value. We recently stayed at CSR and will never go back. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful place, but for us it was too far to go to fill our drinks, bus trips were longer because we had to go to each stop, and ultimately we were rarely even there. Room sizes were pretty much the same. Almost all our time is spent in the parks. For us it didn't add up... We missed POP and will stay with there from now on. If you are not really resort people, I would suggest staying with All-Star. If you do spend a lot of time there, go Moderate. Best Wishes and I hope you have the most magical time!
Alice1386 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: