DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
GBPackers
Earning My Ears

Which resort is best for me?

I am a newbie to this forum, but not to WDW. We have been there 2 times in the past 3 years with 2kids. Well, now we have 3 kids and are looking to go back next Oct 2013. The kids will be 9, 6, and 2. Since hearing listening to DVC agent walk through have done the breakdown through several spreadsheets of DVC purchase through Disney. But I am considering resale, simply due to the cost.

I am looking into DVC for the obvious reasons, a) for the extra room needed with a family of 5, b) long term investment knowing we will be going back a lot. We took the tour at SSR with our 1st trip 3 years ago. I thought it was nice, along with the BAy Lake and Animal Kingdom rooms. But here are the biggest questions for me, and I know these have probably been answered throughout these boards, and maybe someone can post the links I need:

1) Which Resort is great for a family with younger kids, but also for when they get into the teen years? Does it really make a difference? It appears a place like SSR has much better pricing than Animal and Bay Lake in resale market. Why is that? I understand location, but in the end, I want a place to enjoy and relax where the kids can have fun. In other words, biggest bank for buck?

2) is there a breakdown of ownership perks listed somewhere that shows buying through Disney vs Resale? Honestly, I am never going on the Disney Cruise as my spouse has a fear of boats. Which makes me think resale is the way to go. Is there something i am missing making it a better option to buy from Disney? Too bad can't get 0%. On Disney visa through resale.

3) how many points would you recommend purchasing at the start? Again we have come down 2 times in 3 years, and realistically, not sure if we would be able to come down 3 times a year. Possibly 2 times to take advantage of a season pass, but may not happen. Airfare for 5 people ain't cheap!

I appreciate any feedback or points in right direction.
GBPackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
1) Which Resort is great for a family with younger kids, but also for when they get into the teen years? Does it really make a difference? It appears a place like SSR has much better pricing than Animal and Bay Lake in resale market. Why is that? I understand location, but in the end, I want a place to enjoy and relax where the kids can have fun. In other words, biggest bank for buck?
SSR is the largest DVC resort (see the DVC resource link stickied at the top for details), so that makes for high supply. you cannot walk or boat from SSR to any theme park (the boat to DTD doesn't typically count)...and no giraffes or zebras either, so that means low demand. so that makes for low pricing.

if you are happy just to be onsite, SSR is the bang-for-buck king.

but keep in mind that you'd really need a 2BR at SSR. 1BRs at BLT and AKV-kidani have a sleeper chair that sleeps 5, but a 2BR would be more comfortable down the road regardless. (there's a separate occupancy thread for more details - again, check the stickied threads.)

Quote:
2) is there a breakdown of ownership perks listed somewhere that shows buying through Disney vs Resale? Honestly, I am never going on the Disney Cruise as my spouse has a fear of boats. Which makes me think resale is the way to go. Is there something i am missing making it a better option to buy from Disney?
you can save 6-8 weeks or more by buying direct - it's definitely faster. but if cost is any consideration, buying direct is hard to justify.

if you buy direct, you have the option of booking wdw hotels like the poly, disney cruises and adventures by disney...which are all very expensive trades. the only semi-decent issue for buying direct would be access to trading for disneyland hotels if you live out west and prefer disneyland.

Quote:
3) how many points would you recommend purchasing at the start? Again we have come down 2 times in 3 years, and realistically, not sure if we would be able to come down 3 times a year. Possibly 2 times to take advantage of a season pass, but may not happen. Airfare for 5 people ain't cheap!
it varies a lot by what you want to do: what season do you travel in (that may also affect what use year month you buy)? how often will you stay? at what resort(s)? and in 1BRs or 2BRs?

there's a link to pt charts in the top right hand corner of the screen - start playing with some numbers there. also, spend some time poking around in different DVC forum threads, to get an idea of what issues other interested purchasers and current DVC members are dealing with. that can help you with questions you haven't thought of yet. but take your time - there's a lot to learn...

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
GBPackers
Earning My Ears

Thank you for the feedback.

This would be mainly for the WDW resorts, with maybe Hilton Head thrown in there.

I've looked at the point charts and the main season we come down are Oct and March/April. I will take a look at the prior forums already posted.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Buying a DVC interest is like buying a house, IMO you really need to learn about the neighborhoods and visit the homes for sale. All DVC resorts are available for sale and they all have their different things going for them.

While buying a DVC contract can save you money on your room by pre-paying for your accommodations, you will probably spend more money overall because you will vacation at Disney more often. Airfare, food, admission, dues, Disney extras, all go up in price every year and can cost more than expected.

Disney sells timeshares because they make a huge profit with the original sale and they lock you into Disney vacations for the length of your ownership.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
GBPackers
Earning My Ears

Good points! Knowing we will be going back at least 5 times while the kids are young I am considering it.

It would make our stay more enjoyable knowing we have 2 bedrooms vs a 2 queen bed resort room.

Do owners of a DVC membership often rent their points to cover dues/ make profit the years they don't use the points?

The more I read, the more I love Disney!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Renting has increased in the last year or two. It has it's risks and being in business isn't for everybody. You would have to work the numbers to see if you might make a profit which is taxable, it could take years to break even.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
ELMC
DIS Veteran

I would look at renting as a way of reducing your initial buy in costs (by renting out some of the points that come with the contract instead of using them) or as a way of keeping points from going to waste in the years you can't vacation. If you look at it as an investment or a business it complicates matters significantly and, more often than not, may not be the best allocation of your funds.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #8
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

Hope you don't mind me adding to your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
SSR is the largest DVC resort (see the DVC resource link stickied at the top for details), so that makes for high supply. you cannot walk or boat from SSR to any theme park (the boat to DTD doesn't typically count)...and no giraffes or zebras either, so that means low demand. so that makes for low pricing.

if you are happy just to be onsite, SSR is the bang-for-buck king.

SSR is a very spread out resort. It might make things more difficult with a little one. The bus service is slow and you have no other option for transportation unless you rent a car.
I have a friend with a 2 teens and they love SSR because the kids are old enough to go shoot hoops or take the boat to DTD.
If you hit some bad weather while at SSR by the time your in one of the parks you'll be miserable. The garden apartment "hallways" makes you deal with rain, wind, heat.
Not being attached to a lobby is a negative. The dining options are very limited.
It is the cheapest of the resorts.

AKL is away from everything but there are things to do in the evening at the resort. Lovely to walk the grounds and you have dining choices.
They have a full activity schedule for when you are in the resort for the kids. Great tours are also available from this resort if your kids/family are interested in animals. Wide variety of room types.

BLT. for little ones you can walk to the MK or take the monorail which is a ride within itself. You also have the option of using boats to go back & forth.
You are in a busier area with so many resorts so it makes it very easy to get to and from other resorts for dining, lounges, dinner shows. You also have the water pageant. I think this is one of the resorts people love or really dislike. The decor and concept are not our cup of tea.
If you go for one of the MK view rooms it's wonderful in the evening but in the day it's more like a parking lot view.

but keep in mind that you'd really need a 2BR at SSR. 1BRs at BLT and AKV-kidani have a sleeper chair that sleeps 5, but a 2BR would be more comfortable down the road regardless. (there's a separate occupancy thread for more details - again, check the stickied threads.)

Time of the year is a big consideration.
Also if it's a busy time of year your chances of SSR being available is higher than the other resorts.

you can save 6-8 weeks or more by buying direct - it's definitely faster. but if cost is any consideration, buying direct is hard to justify.

if you buy direct, you have the option of booking wdw hotels like the poly, disney cruises and adventures by disney...which are all very expensive trades. the only semi-decent issue for buying direct would be access to trading for disneyland hotels if you live out west and prefer disneyland.

it varies a lot by what you want to do: what season do you travel in (that may also affect what use year month you buy)? how often will you stay? at what resort(s)? and in 1BRs or 2BRs?

there's a link to pt charts in the top right hand corner of the screen - start playing with some numbers there. also, spend some time poking around in different DVC forum threads, to get an idea of what issues other interested purchasers and current DVC members are dealing with. that can help you with questions you haven't thought of yet. but take your time - there's a lot to learn...

What people think of you is none of your business.
NEVERENOUGHWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

We find SSR and OKW to be more to our liking because we always drive and have a vehicle. These two places have parking right next to the villas instead of far off parking lots. They are both more like a community than a hotel. There are numerous bus stops and pools throughout the resort, so you are always pretty much close to a bus stop or a pool.

If you hit bad weather at the parks, you will have bad weather at any of the resorts. Not just SSR and OKW.

OKW has the largest rooms on the property. BLT has the smallest studios (other than AKV Value studios) on the property.

Do your homework.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
We find SSR and OKW to be more to our liking because we always drive and have a vehicle. These two places have parking right next to the villas instead of far off parking lots. They are both more like a community than a hotel. There are numerous bus stops and pools throughout the resort, so you are always pretty much close to a bus stop or a pool.

If you hit bad weather at the parks, you will have bad weather at any of the resorts. Not just SSR and OKW.

OKW has the largest rooms on the property. BLT has the smallest studios (other than AKV Value studios) on the property.

Do your homework.
These are great reasons & take a look at the points charts too. We love these 2 resorts.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #11
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post

Do your homework.
I meant it is so nice to walk through a hallway not outside in the bad weather.

What people think of you is none of your business.
NEVERENOUGHWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #12
Meggysmum
Mouseketeer

We bought BLT as it was love at first sight but when we went on our last trip with our two older teens we found the extra sleeper chair a fantastic bonus which we hadn't considered and the fact that they could walk to MK whilst we sat relaxing on the balcony was amazing. They thought the few hours in MK on their own in the rain the best part of the trip!
Meggysmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #13
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

We bought at BCV. DH really liked the Epcot location, as well as the pool area. As the kids get bigger we the Epcot resorts will be a great place to stay. I also think that if we want to conserve points in a given year, when it is just the 5 of us going, we may try a 1 BR @ OKW.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: