Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #16
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!
 
pigletgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 12,518

I wouldn't let someones own negativity affect you. Obviously there may be deeper issues that we do not know about. It could also be poor self-esteem too. Just continue being friendly and kind and you'll be set. What is the saying, honey, not vinegar attracts....
__________________
Me DH DD (14mo) DLab
Past trips: 6/99 POFQ; 3/08 CR; 4/11 Honeymoon CR
Upcoming Trip Sept 2014 Pop/POFQ:

Hoping for Dec. 2015!
pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #17
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,521

Ugh. I left a message board I'd been a member of for a long time over the way some people were just so mean. The final straw was a woman posting asking for hugs because her hospitalized mother had been treated badly by nurses in a hospital. Two people who identified themselves as nurses immediately posted, mocking this poor sick elderly woman and telling stories of how they drag their feet when responding to patients who are in pain, how they make fun of patients in pain, and arguing that people just need to toughen up and take the pain because they -- nurses -- did not want to deal with their whining and complaining since they had "better things to do than deal with complainers."

It takes a lot to shock me, but those comments truly did shock me because they were sooooo nasty and mean about people in pain. I mean, just how low can you go?

I can only hope these people are mean like this on the internet and not in real life. If they are this horrible in real life, well, I hope they get what's coming to them some day. I really do.

Last edited by Andtototoo; 10-09-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #18
Kennywife
Sometimes miracles take a little time
 
Kennywife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: online
Posts: 1,451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtototoo View Post
Ugh. I left a message board I'd been a member of for a long time over the way some people were just so mean. The final straw was a woman posting asking for hugs because her hospitalized mother had been treated badly by nurses in a hospital. Two people who identified themselves as nurses immediately posted, mocking this poor sick elderly woman and telling stories of how they drag their feet when responding to patients who are in pain, how they make fun of patients in pain, and arguing that people just need to toughen up and take the pain because they -- nurses -- did not want to deal with their whining and complaining since they had "better things to do than deal with complainers."

It takes a lot to shock me, but those comments truly did shock me because they were sooooo nasty and mean about people in pain. I mean, just how low can you go?

I can only hope these people are mean like this on the internet and not in real life. If they are this horrible in real life, well, I hope they get what's coming to them some day. I really do.
Oh man, that is just wrong. I mean, I'm sure if they were in that position they wouldn't want to be treated that way.
Kennywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:09 AM   #19
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran
 
ilovemk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,352

Bragging in general is annoying.
__________________
What does $3.00 ham have to do with Mexico?
ilovemk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:16 AM   #20
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories
 
skater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,537

The anonymity of the internet makes it easy for people to be nasty. Just like people in cars act stupid because they think they're anonymous.

The nurse story is pretty scary though .
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #21
Mandychelle79
DIS Veteran
 
Mandychelle79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Smack dab in the middle of Western PA
Posts: 1,542

Sometimes the only way to get through to someone is to be blunt. I do think people take offense to things more than before, partly due to how my parents generation raised my generation. No cut teams, no red pens, etc, because it may hurt someones feelings. I am more of a suck it up and deal with it type of person, I am never intentionally mean, but probably come across that way at times, mainly because I tend to treat people how I expect to be treated. Sometimes the truth hurts. I think it is much worse to be as sweet as pie to someones face and talk behind their back.
__________________
Mandy, 33 DH Scott,42 DD Bradyn,9 ds Alexander, 7
12/2002;12/2007;12/2009;8/2012
Mandychelle79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #22
goofinoff
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
I feel like we are in the middle of A Very Brady Idol
 
goofinoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Portland, Maine
Posts: 3,756

While I do think that there are definitely "meanies" out there, I also believe that a lot of people read into things way too much. It's hard to interpret something when you can't hear the tone in which it is presented. I made a comment on a different thread that was a total joke (at least I thought it was funny.....the thread was about a reality show) and I was called rude. I wasn't trying to be rude at all. The conversation was getting heated and I was trying to lighten the moment. I have a sarcastic sense of humor and have to remember that not every does.

I do find that there are certain people on this board who have to "rain on everyone's parade." Constantly correcting spelling or grammar. If I see a thread that doesn't interest me I usually don't post on it. I just find that it's the same people over and over who are almost picking a fight.
__________________
goofinoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #23
Heidict
I'm not witty enough for a tag... but you can count on me to save all the good deleted posts!
 
Heidict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Shoreline in CT
Posts: 4,513

I haven't really found it to be a problem on this board but then it takes a lot to offend me and I may think a comment isn't mean while someone else does. Who is right though?

Seems like we have to go through life these days, in fear of offending someone. It gets exhausting!!! While there are definitely people out there that are hateful and mean because it makes them feel better or they think it's funny, I think much of what people perceive as mean isn't. Could just be perception though.
__________________
Me DH DD-7 DD- 1


Heidict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #24
goofinoff
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
I feel like we are in the middle of A Very Brady Idol
 
goofinoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Portland, Maine
Posts: 3,756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandychelle79 View Post
Sometimes the only way to get through to someone is to be blunt. I do think people take offense to things more than before, partly due to how my parents generation raised my generation. No cut teams, no red pens, etc, because it may hurt someones feelings. I am more of a suck it up and deal with it type of person, I am never intentionally mean, but probably come across that way at times, mainly because I tend to treat people how I expect to be treated. Sometimes the truth hurts. I think it is much worse to be as sweet as pie to someones face and talk behind their back.
__________________
goofinoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #25
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,924

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandychelle79 View Post
Sometimes the only way to get through to someone is to be blunt. I do think people take offense to things more than before, partly due to how my parents generation raised my generation. No cut teams, no red pens, etc, because it may hurt someones feelings. I am more of a suck it up and deal with it type of person, I am never intentionally mean, but probably come across that way at times, mainly because I tend to treat people how I expect to be treated. Sometimes the truth hurts. I think it is much worse to be as sweet as pie to someones face and talk behind their back.


Sometimes it seems like posters only want you to agree with them . Any other opinion is considered mean or rude. Why ask for advice or post a thread about a situation if you don't want real opinions?

I also find there are some posters who are just too serious about everything and don't understand sarcasm at all.

I'd rather someone tell me they don't agree with me than say they do just to be nice. You can't learn from mistakes if you don't know you make any.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #26
NY Disney fan
DIS Veteran
 
NY Disney fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,255

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway View Post
Sometimes it seems like posters only want you to agree with them . Any other opinion is considered mean or rude.
I disagree. Sometimes DISer's want to talk it out and talking to a stranger sometimes is easier than talking to a friend. But some people on this board are so mean. They say things like "put your big girl panties on" and other nonsense that people with no empathy say.
NY Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #27
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories
 
skater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,537

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Disney fan View Post
I disagree. Sometimes DISer's want to talk it out and talking to a stranger sometimes is easier than talking to a friend. But some people on this board are so mean. They say things like "put your big girl panties on" and other nonsense that people with no empathy say.

I agree with this. Even if someone is asking for advice, I try to frame it in a helpful way. Being mean is not helpful. Its even possible to be honest with "tough" advice without being nasty. It just takes a little effort. And a little empathy.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #28
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else
 
Sgt Mickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,777

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway View Post


Sometimes it seems like posters only want you to agree with them . Any other opinion is considered mean or rude. Why ask for advice or post a thread about a situation if you don't want real opinions?
.
I also disagree with this. IMO it is just another way to be nasty and blame it on the poster. I think that sometimes the person is asking one thing and being accused of 10 other things so when they defend themselves this is what is thrown at them.
Not to say that some people do not want real opinions but I don't think this falls under most posters.
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #29
Rylee
DIS Veteran
 
Rylee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 1,861

The reality is, many of these people are WEAK.

It takes a lot more strength to remain calm and speak rationally, than it does to blow up and lash out with your tongue. They actually lack self-control.

I think they feel insecure and inferior in general, possibly over something that happened in their past for which they had no control at the time. Fearing been seen as powerless and vulnerable, and seeking respect, they try to present a superior and know-it-all attitude.

They brag about it as a way to prove to others, they are who they want to believe they are.

I think many of these people are still dissatisfied with themselves and aren't really kidding anyone. They never learned that being nice and kind, does not equal being a doormat, or that being feared does not equal being respected.
__________________

&

Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #30
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,924

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylee View Post
The reality is, many of these people are WEAK.

It takes a lot more strength to remain calm and speak rationally, than it does to blow up and lash out with your tongue. They actually lack self-control.

I think they feel insecure and inferior in general, possibly over something that happened in their past for which they had no control at the time. Fearing been seen as powerless and vulnerable, and seeking respect, they try to present a superior and know-it-all attitude.

They brag about it as a way to prove to others, they are who they want to believe they are.

I think many of these people are still dissatisfied with themselves and aren't really kidding anyone. They never learned that being nice and kind, does not equal being a doormat, or that being feared does not equal being respected.
I'm sensing a smirk behind this. Maybe even a glint.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.