Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #16
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

I wonder if this has anything to do with the rumored Fast Pass Plus?

larryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #17
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
I wonder if this has anything to do with the rumored Fast Pass Plus?
Yes.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #18
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

It would definitely be less hassle to get into the parks than a paper ticket. After getting my bag inspected, I have to pull out my keys (which have ID/card holder attached), get out my ticket sleeve, pull out the ticket, put it through the machine, and then put everything back together. With a wristband I'm assuming you'd just touch the band to a sensor, do the fingerprint, and be on your way. Is it a huge hassle to use a paper ticket? No, but this would definitely be quicker. I agree that I probably wouldn't want to wear it all day, though. It would be nice if it were adjustable/had connecting ends; then I could loop it around the strap of my bag.

I'm not sure how I feel about the reservation aspect of FP+ (and I'm not even sure how it would work for passholders/those not booking vacation packages), but it would be pretty nice not to have a paper FP ticket to keep up with. Oh, and no more problems with your ticket becoming demagnetized and not working at the gate or FP machine, either!!

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:15 AM   #19
TowMater92
Mouseketeer

It would be a pain in the (_l_) to have one person go get FP's for a large group.
TowMater92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:09 AM   #20
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

I am also curious how AP's and hotel stays will be handled. I have an AP and stay on property an average of five times per year. I don't want to have to wear two bracelets - so I'm hoping it's something re-programmable where they can load the AP, then load room key and charge privileges as needed when I'm staying on property.

I'm also curious how people will keep track of FP times and locations without a printout. Will they have band scanners around the park like they have price checkers at Target - you swipe your band and it shows a list on a screen of what's on your itinerary? My memory definitely isn't as good as it used to be, so I need to be able to review the info.

So long as it's not a tight wristband, I don't mind wearing one. But my hands and wrists tend to swell in the heat so I wouldn't want my circulation to get cut off because the band is too tight (I've come close to that a few times with the party wristbands).
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #21
JoshuaShaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinistifler View Post
Dislike.
x100
JoshuaShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #22
kmarie99
Mouseketeer

I think this sounds like an wonderful idea. It will be so much faster than waiting at the turnstiles for everyone to dig though their bags and find their tickets and then pass them out to everyone in the group and then make sure everyone has the right one that matches with their fingerprints.
I understand there are some concerns for AP guest but I don't see why keeping track of a wrist band is any different than keeping track of a ticket. However I do not have an AP so I cannot say for sure what effect it would have on you.
I hope this works and I hope they start to use them soon!
kmarie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:50 AM   #23
EWDonald
Earning My Ears

They need to do something. We just got back from a weeklong trip and had problems with tickets not working in fast pass machines or the turnstile every day we were there. They become "deactivated" way too easily.
EWDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:50 AM   #24
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran

I keep reading that people are disappointed because they don't want to have to wear a band on their wrist on vacay.

Is there some kind of "law" that says you have to wear them on your wrist?

If not I'll find a spot elsewhere like in my purse pocket where I would normally keep the KTTW card. No biggie.
WedgieSock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #25
reiella
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Queen View Post
If Disney has to go through the FCC does that mean that there is a transponder involved? If so will that be an information security issue as credit card information will be attached to the KTTW? Could this be something that hackers could get into?
We were just at the world and had the RFID locks at Kidani. It was easy and fast.
All depends on implementation. If it's using a 2-factor authentication process, it'll be fairly prohibitive to get any useful information out of one, but 2-factor does increase the cost [and with them being labeled as disposable, I'm wouldn't be surprised if the cost/benefit decided against 2fa]. Further, I personally doubt [with no knowledge] that the RFID only offers a limited bit of information [Resort + Room #, and maybe ticket #], and everything else is retrieved by using that information on Disney's network.

A note, the risk between a RFID KTTW and RFID Bracelet KTTW are going to be pretty similar. The only difference I can really see is one might have a different range.
reiella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #26
megveg
Drink up me hearties, yo ho!

I think that for the getting into hotel rooms and getting into parks, the wrist band will be a good option, but I don't see people getting wrist scans for dining credits. I think the KTTW card in some style/form will still be an option, but I can see how entrance wrist bands would be helpful.

As for comfort and being made to wear one; I went to a 3 day festival that attached an RFID wrist band on day 1 and it was to be kept on for each day, they were laminated paper with a tiny RFID square in them. They weren't very attractive and sometimes would scratch my wrist but they lasted 3 days (and probably more if I didn't cut mine off) and made entrance a breeze, including bag check. Im sure Disney would create a much better/more comfortable/longer term type wrist band that would be removeable. Maybe Disney could use the wrist bands they have for the photopass cards at the water parks and the F&W gift cards, so it's easily removable but still easy to use to scan/swipe for dining/photopass/fastpass/charging to your room.

"Some days you eat the bear,
some days the bear eats you,
but always dress for the hunt!"
KUNGALOOSH!

Past Trips: 5/96' Offsite with Family
11/05' With my highschool Choir -ASMu
5/08' Graduation Trip - Shades of Green
5/09' Memorial Week Trip - Poly
Nov 2014: Homestead for NASCAR + a lil Disney/UO
megveg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #27
mjp12831
DIS Veteran

This is invevitable - the whole FP+ change is not about improving the guest experience or getting you on a ride quicker. It is 100% about collecting data and marketing.

Once they rifd you for FP+, they will be collecting data on you all day long - when you rode a bus/monorail, how many times you go to the bathroom, where you go for snacks and meals, what SB lines you wait in, what shows you attend...

You can put RFID readers anywhere, without the parkgoing public even knowing they are there.

All of this data will allow them to expand and market more efficiently.

WDW Commando member #60
mjp12831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #28
labattblue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater92 View Post
It would be a pain in the (_l_) to have one person go get FP's for a large group.
I was wondering the same thing.

I will be interested to see how this plays out in terms of obtaining FP not through the FP+ system or whatever the heck they are calling it.
labattblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #29
topmonkeygirl
DIS Veteran

Love the idea. Like someone else said my hands are full, I have to dig out my ticket, go through security, go through the scanner, then get everything back together again. It's just a pain in the butt. You wouldn't have to wear them, you could put them in a bag, pocket, on a lanyard. I would make things much easier.

It really is a "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow".
topmonkeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #30
TeresaNJ

Knows the tricks to get the Tag Fairies' attention! Likes all pretty colors Gets teary when she hears Garth sing "The Dance"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarie99 View Post
I think this sounds like an wonderful idea. It will be so much faster than waiting at the turnstiles for everyone to dig though their bags and find their tickets and then pass them out to everyone in the group and then make sure everyone has the right one that matches with their fingerprints.
I understand there are some concerns for AP guest but I don't see why keeping track of a wrist band is any different than keeping track of a ticket. However I do not have an AP so I cannot say for sure what effect it would have on you.
I hope this works and I hope they start to use them soon!
I can keep the AP in my wallet, not so with the wristband. I hate this idea!
TeresaNJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: