Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #31
LynnTH
DIS Veteran

An Aldi's just opened last Friday about a mile from my house. So, I went there yesterday and picked up some items to try. I knew it would be hit or miss but trying to see what we would like. These are the items we have tried so far:

1. Thin Wheats Light - Taste just like wheat thins. $1.29 a box.
2. Striped Cookes - Taste just like Keebler - $1.19 a package.
3. Spicy Chicken Fillet. Just ate one for lunch. Very spicy... $4.99 a bag.
4. Mt Frost - DS says it tastes just like Mt Dew - $2.29 a 12 pack.
5. 12 Pack Toaster Tarts - Kids are trying them today for snack. $1.89 a box.

So, far I am very pleased with the items I bought and pleasantly surprised.
LynnTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #32
loganjared
Mouseketeer

I made a special trip to try the pumpkin spice cream cheese today. Oh my word, it is amazing!

Sent from my DROIDX using DISBoards

6/1994 Honeymoon CBR; 6/2004 DS's first trip/10 yr anniversary CBR; 6/2005 ASMo; 2/2007 ASSp; 6/2009 15 yr anniversary ASMo; 6/2010 POFQ; 6/2011 POFQ

loganjared is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #33
HappyDznyCamper
Happily camping since 1972
Was a witness to the great tag fest at the Fort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganjared View Post
I made a special trip to try the pumpkin spice cream cheese today. Oh my word, it is amazing!

Sent from my DROIDX using DISBoards
Wait, what??? Gotta go now,Aldi is close by and pumpkin soice cream cheese sounds fabulous!
HappyDznyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #34
BBGraph
BBGraph

Aldi does have coupons but rare I have been getting free milk coupons since march at chicago fire soccer games
09/2005 Port Orleans Riverside
12/2005 Disneyland Passholder Good Neighbor Hotel
01/2006 Caribbean Beach Resort Passholder
Expedition Everest Preview
09/2007 port Orleans french quarter passholder
MNSSHP
12/2007 pop century holiday
MVMCP
07/2009 Offsite never again
BBGraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #35
4GoofyCrew
Mouseketeer

I just started checking out Aldis. So far I am VERY impressed with their chips, especially their veggie straws, their sweet potato chips and their tortilla chips. I am saving at least $2/bag on each and the size is comparable.

Would love to learn how to get in on the Aldis coupons!!!
01-2012 AS SPORTS Free DDP
Always dreaming about another trip!
4GoofyCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #36
itutorfortravel
I tutor high school math to pay for my travel addiction!

I've become quite an Aldi fan in the past few months...

Last time I went they had pumpkin spice yogurt! YUM! I'm trying to eat gluten free, but all I could think about was crumbling up a graham cracker in it - it would have tasted just like pie!

I buy my greek yogurt there (pineapple is my fave), frozen coconut fruit bars, whole roasted almonds, lactose free milk, egg whites, rice cakes, chips, lunchmeat (it was lower in sodium than the national brand I normally buy), and the list goes on. I also love getting my fresh fruit and veggies there.
itutorfortravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #37
hearts8701
DIS Veteran

has anyone tried their laundry detergent? Iím curious to know if it works well.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #38
princesspwrhr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica52877 View Post
I find that I buy most of our junk from aldi's,
My mom moved a year ago and there is an Aldi's near her new house. There isn't one here or by her old house so we decided to check it out. It seems like all they sell is junk food. I was disappointed. The one near her house didn't have a large enough fresh section for me to even remember seeing anything. I've heard such good things about it here on the DIS and when we went in all it was was packaged processed knock off junk food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCrazyX5 View Post
They will refund you for anything you do not like.
Trader Joes (same parent company) does this too. It's great. I rarely have to bring anything back, the kids love pretty much everything. Once when I was checking out the cashier and I were talking about some of the produce and I mentioned that the strawberries I had bought 3 days ago were molded already that morning. She rang the bell and a captain came over and took off the price of the strawberries that were at home in the trash molded. We shop there at least once, sometimes twice a week and I LOVE that the crew has pretty much stayed the same over the last 6 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengalB4 View Post
Another thing I won't buy there anymore are the bananas-we throw out as many as we eat.Several times the green bunch I brought home would turn brown(skipped the yellow) stage.
I've had this happen a LOT this year and it doesn't matter where I buy the bananas whether from Trader Joe's, Target, Harris Teeter, Costco or some other place. I always check them because sometimes it's just the peel that has gone brown and the banana is still edible. I guess the delivery truck was too cold or something. Sometimes the banana inside is also over-ripe. Then it's time for banana bread, or slicing the banana and freezing it for later use in smoothies or banana bread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearts8701 View Post
has anyone tried their laundry detergent? Iím curious to know if it works well.
If it's the same laundry detergent that Trader Joe's has, then it works well on regular dirty clothes. It's extremely similar in composition to 7th Generation. It will clean your clothes and they will smell fabulous, but if you have a tough stain - use Tide. The detergent from TJ is a lot gentler on clothes too, it doesn't fade them the way Tide will.
princesspwrhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #39
girli565
A Miami kind of girl

We recently started going to aldi's. I do like them for milk, butter, thick sliced bacon, cat litter, snacks, bread, and certain meats (ground beef, chicken breasts, sometimes ground turkey).

We bought their moscato wine once and did not enjoy it. Their white zinfandel is very good.

I'm going there today to get a few things they have in their flier that are priced great.
girli565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #40
leahjade
DIS Veteran

do they take checks? I never carry cash anymore!
leahjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #41
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

No checks, no credit cards. They take cash or debit cards only, which is a big pain. I don't do debit cards. To pay cash, I have to keep a running total of what I'm buying in my head while I shop.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #42
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

They will take the debit card with the visa logo though. I never carry cash either
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #43
pooh4evr
Mouseketeer
In STL we drink soda and eat barbecue, use realators, eat sherbert, and drive on rout farty far

Tried the Cheddar Broccoli soup dry mix last night- it was great! Kids loved it too. Added a bag of frozen mixed vegetables, an bag of broccoli to it. But it was good!
Old 10-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #44
leahjade
DIS Veteran

Pumpkin spice cream cheese
Pumpkin spice coffee creamer
Pumpkin spice marshmallows
leahjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #45
Patience
DIS Veteran

The pumpkin spice cream cheese is awesome! I also tried the seasonal salsa (sweet potato and cranberry) and used it as a topping for grilled chicken. My family enjoyed it. The pineapple Greek yogurt is awesome too.

Love the prices! As I mentioned, an Aldi's just opened near my office and I have been popping in more and more. I bought a head of cauliflower last week (we love roasted cauliflower, broccoli too) and I can't remember how it much it cost but I do know it was much cheaper than the Harris Teeter grocery store near our house.

Last edited by Patience; 10-12-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: