Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #76
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Oh my! You have some wonderful looking dishes for which you have shared your reviews!!! And I love your photos!

What a great way to celebrate your successes and accomplishments with the trip. I certainly look forward to being able to do that with my DD for years to come.

I'm joining in!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #77
Yelloweaver
Earning My Ears

can't wait to read more!!
Yelloweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #78
MLinDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWaddictt View Post
The chicken and salad looks great. I have booked ADR here for our upcoming trip. I have never been here before and a little nervous about going. But that chicken and salad would be something I would order. Too bad about the molten cake, they might have cooked it too long.
Thanks for sharing!
Yes I enjoyed it especially the salad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOrdinaryPrincess View Post
Love the update! I've never been to LTT, it looks so good!
We want to go again in January just for the OGT cake!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrie.. View Post

This looks sooooo good!! Can't wait to try it in January!!!
You will love that dessert! Make sure you save room when you go to 'Ohana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Oh my! You have some wonderful looking dishes for which you have shared your reviews!!! And I love your photos!

What a great way to celebrate your successes and accomplishments with the trip. I certainly look forward to being able to do that with my DD for years to come.

I'm joining in!
Thanks for reading! We had a great time celebrating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelloweaver View Post
can't wait to read more!!
I'm posting a short one now and a few more tomorrow!
MLinDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #79
MLinDisney
Mouseketeer

Breakfast: Sweet Spells/Lecellier

We woke up early so that we could get to AK at rope drop. I got ready and while DD was getting ready to go, I went to Captain Cook's with our mugs and got some coffee for each of us. We ate on the balcony and shared this:

Carrot cake cookie!!!!!!!!!!!!! We bought this at HS the night before in Sweet Spells. I thought they only sold them at Writer's Stop, but there it was! It was delicious!! The cream cheese frosting in the middle wasn't too sweet! I rate this DD rates it:

We also shared this:

One of those Pretzel breads!! I mentioned in the review of Lecellier that we brought one of these back to the room. We put it in a zip lock and left it in the refrigerator. I put it in the microwave to warm it up. It was delicious! Breakfast of champions!!
After our coffee, pretzel bread, and carrot cake cookie, we went to catch the bus to AK.

NEXT UP: Lunch on the Wild Africa Trek!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #80
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

That carrot cake cookie is a great way to start your day!!! I love the pretzel bread from Le Cellier - what a great idea to pop it in the microwave to heat and eat!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #81
MUFFYCAT
Sorry, I'm a spaze
Nevermind I see it, my eyesight is going
Which Spice Girl can I be?
Jealous of Christmas Tags

I second the great idea of popping the bread in the microwave and love that you requested a one in your room. , never thought of that.

I also love the bread pudding at O'Hana's.

They do make good drinks, did you have a Lapu Lapu?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #82
scojos
I want to be Tinkerbell and fly on the wire to start wishes
Thinks Disney studies should be taught in all schools

im stiill lurking, but as your next post is about the wild africa tour, i have a wierd, non food, related question. i am thinking of treating myself to this as my 40th b day gift....but the kids need to come too, do you think a 13 and 15 yr boys would enjoy this?? they re pretty easy going if there is stuff to see/do esp if its interesting/educational info from guides, but would get bored if it was more of a photography tour... does that make sense? what do you think?
ty tracy
2010 - 2 weeks SSR free DDP 1 week creekside villa
2013- 2 weeks okw free ddp[/SIZE]
me dh ds1 ds2dd
scojos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #83
MLinDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
That carrot cake cookie is a great way to start your day!!! I love the pretzel bread from Le Cellier - what a great idea to pop it in the microwave to heat and eat!
Yes, we were glad we had that pretzel bread on hand. Just saw your DR! It's great. I'll catch up after I update mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFFYCAT View Post
I second the great idea of popping the bread in the microwave and love that you requested a one in your room. , never thought of that.

I also love the bread pudding at O'Hana's.

They do make good drinks, did you have a Lapu Lapu?
Ask for the microwave when you check in. We checked in so early in the morning that I think that's why they had one available that day.
I had planned to have a Lapu Lapu on the Poly Beach while watching wishes, but never got to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scojos View Post
im stiill lurking, but as your next post is about the wild africa tour, i have a wierd, non food, related question. i am thinking of treating myself to this as my 40th b day gift....but the kids need to come too, do you think a 13 and 15 yr boys would enjoy this?? they re pretty easy going if there is stuff to see/do esp if its interesting/educational info from guides, but would get bored if it was more of a photography tour... does that make sense? what do you think?
ty tracy
If they are animal lovers, they will love it. There are guides there to talk all about the animals. They will love those bridges to cross. Not sure what you mean about photography tour. The CM who takes the photos is very unobtrusive. She rarely poses you. I think its well worth it!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #84
MLinDisney
Mouseketeer

Wild Africa Trek Lunch

In some reviews, I've heard this referred to as a snack, but there is enough here for lunch. In the middle of the trek, we stopped on the boma to have lunch. We were brought a multi-layer covered metal bowl. I don't know what these are called. I'm sure there is a name for them. They look like 2 very large girl scout mess kits stuck together. Here is one half of mine:

This is fruit, some sort of chicken salad and prosciutto. It has an edible orchid in the middle. Notice the jungle juice, POG, or lilikoi juice depending on where you are. It was delicious. I ate all of this! Here is the other half of mine:

Shrimp, hummus, salmon with cream cheese and bread. They looked like mini pita bread all puffed out. I don't know the african names of all of these. I ate everything except the edible orchid. I just took a bite of that. I liked this meal and rated it
DD ordered the vegetarian version:

fruit, rice and tofu with some type of sauce on it. She said the tofu was delicious and tasted like chicken. She also had the edible orchid too. Her other half:

She also had the same bread and hummus that I had. The other two dishes were some type of salsa and a corn salad
I didn't taste hers. She rated her meal:

There was a beautiful view of some giraffes while we were eating. This meal was included in the price of the tour. We were the only ones on this tour. We had the guides to ourselves. Great tour.

When we left this tour, we continued to go to attractions at AK. On our way to one of the attractions, we got this as a snack:

Jalapeno cheese stuffed pretzel!! We got this at Safari Pretzel Kiosk. This was so delicious. We shared this. This is a snack credit. It is $4.29 without tax. I rate this as a snack!!!
DD also rated it: She said she wishes she could find this at home!

NEXT UP: Dinner at Jiko
Old 10-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #85
Terrie..
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to try one of those pretzels!! They look delicious

Terrie.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #86
celeste.
DIS Veteran

the wild africa trek food looks tasty! what did the edible orchid taste like? was it a real orchid or food that looked like an orchid?
great update, can't wait for more!
celeste. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #87
MLinDisney
Mouseketeer

Jiko Part 1

We left AK around 4:30 and headed for AKL for our 5:30 ADR at Jiko. I knew we were early, but since Jiko is a signature, we put a nice blouse in our backpacks and also some sandals. After a day at AK, we needed to freshen up. We found a ladies room at AKL and changed and freshened up. We then went to look around the lobby and out the windows. Then we went to the gift shop to kill some time. After that, we found a sofa in the lobby and just relaxed a little. We then checked into Jiko. We ordered drinks I ordered:

A Zebratini!! Captain Morgan Spiced Rum, Godiva White Chocolate Liqueur, Frangelico, Amarula, and a shot of Espresso in a Chocolate Zebra-striped Martini Glass! This was delicious and I ended up having two of these!
DD ordered:

Well DD couldn’t decide, so our waitress, brought out a bunch of different wines for her to taste. Here are the glasses she brought out:

African red wine. DD also ended up having seconds of the wine. Our waitress was very knowledgeable on the wine list. She ran one of the Jiko Wednesday night wine tastings and invited us to come. We never made it there though.

She brought us bread service:

Not sure what the bread is called, but it had African-spiced butter.
Next I ordered my appetizer:

Grilled Wild Boar Tenderloin Mealie Pap, Chakalaka, White Truffle Oil, and Micro Cilantro. I never had wild boar. This was very good. Tastes a lot like beef. Not gamey at all.
DD had

Crispy Beef “Bobotie” Roll Cucumber Raita, Green Mango At jar, and Honey-roasted Groundnuts. This was very delicious! I rated this
It was crispy and had African seasoned beef inside! DD rated it

JIKO PART 2 CONTINUED IN NEXT POST..............
Old 10-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #88
MLinDisney
Mouseketeer

Jiko part 2

For my entrée:

West African Braised Beef Short Rib Roasted Peanuts, Roasted Vegetables, and spicy Tomato Demi-glace. This was the description on the menu, but I didn't see peanuts in mine. This was very good. It wasn’t tough and the sauce was tasty. I rate this
DD Had:

Oak-grilled Filet Mignon Ancient Grain Pilaf, Heirloom Pole Beans, and South African Red Wine Sauce, but substituted pilaf for mac and cheese. I tasted the mac and cheese. It was ok. I thought the filet was good though. I rated this DD rated it: She said the mac wasn’t as good as Lecellier’s and the steak was ok

Next we ordered pressed pot coffee that we shared and dessert.

Pressed Pot Coffee. I ordered:

Milk Tart - Port Reduction, Figs, and Goat’s Milk-Balsamic Ice Cream The milk tart was ok. I liked the goats milk ice cream. I gave this
DD gave it

DD ordered:

Safari S'mores from the children's menu!!! Many of the desserts that we read about were gone. We wanted to try the coconut bread pudding or the beautiful "one last cup" but these are no longer on the menu! The waitress saw we were having a hard time deciding on dessert and suggested the Safari S'mores. I don't remember tasting these. DD rated these: She said this was tasty and made her feel like a kid. She said she enjoyed the taste and the fun of making a S'mores!

This meal wasn’t as good as I thought it would be for a signature, but the service was more than outstanding. The appetizers were the best part. I was also disappointed that those desserts were gone. This was 2 credits each on the dining plan. The total for the meal was $140.90 without tip. The drinks were $43.66, which were put on a gift card.

After we left Jiko, we went to the quick serve, Mara to get some zebra domes.

This is what happened to them on the way back to the Poly. It wasn't really a long ride maybe 20 minutes. We stuck them in the fridge and had them a few nights later. They were just ok. Maybe because they melted. I'm giving them another chance when we stay at the AKL in January. These were a snack credit. They cost $3.59 without tax.

After this, we headed back to the Poly to watch Wishes and the Water Pageant on the beach!

NEXT UP: BREAKFAST - GRAND FLORIDIAN CAFÉ
Old 10-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #89
MUFFYCAT
Sorry, I'm a spaze
Nevermind I see it, my eyesight is going
Which Spice Girl can I be?
Jealous of Christmas Tags

Everything looks so good! How fabulous that your DD had her own private winery tasting! Your drink looks great too!
Old 10-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #90
starousse
DIS Veteran

I completely felt the same way about Jiko. Loved the place and the service was excellent. I loved the great wine selection and the flatbread app was amazing. The entrees were good, nothing spectacular as was the desserts. We were gonna give it another try on our upcoming trip, but decided to take it out and try Yachtsman instead.
starousse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: