Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #31
reiella
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy2babies View Post
We were getting close to the front of the line at the Character Spot after waiting 40 minutes when Mickey went on break. They told us he needed a snack so he went to get some cheese.

Parents should really know better since we have the advantage of actually knowing there is a hard working person in that hot suit, especially for the outdoor greetings in the spring and summer.
The mixed note is the idea that face characters should be more accommodating because they aren't in the suit. Without really realizing that they still need a break.
reiella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #32
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

"Special Snowflake" parenting at it's worst. God forbid Junior should ever experience one iota of disappointment.

A good parent will distract the child and try not to make a big deal out of it. I really worry for some of these kids when they hit adulthood- they are in for one hell of a rude awakening.
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #33
mrbghd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
Those same parents are the ones that probably say if you aren't good they are going to take you to the Doctor to get a shot or have the Police Officer arrest them. Great way to build trust for those two professions.
When I was a police officer I was in uniform eating dinner one night. I hear a mom tell a screaming kid that if he did not eat his carrots that the police officer would arrest him. I worked in a community where police were already not trusted and maybe I was already in a foul mood. On my way out, I stopped and leaned over to the kid (who btw looked scared to death) and told him not to worry that I hate carrots too. Mom looked mortified but junior laughed.

mrbghd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:56 AM   #34
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthemouse71
"Special Snowflake" parenting at it's worst. God forbid Junior should ever experience one iota of disappointment.

A good parent will distract the child and try not to make a big deal out of it. I really worry for some of these kids when they hit adulthood- they are in for one hell of a rude awakening.
The snowflakes are the parents. So we are already seeing the fallout. Look at what some of the people in this board are willing to do to get what they want when they want it. A trip to disney is no longer enough. Now they will dress their children like human dolls to get the more attention than the other princesses, go in debt, lie about taking classes to get cheaper tickets. The snowflakes are already ruling the world.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:54 AM   #35
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Oh I saw a bad case of this in HK! They had the princesses appear in the hotel, they were on their way backstage for a break and this kid ran up to them. They waved and said hello and kept walking. Next thing I know the dad was yelling and screaming, stomping around, telling everyone how this had RUINED their vacation and they would never come back, the kid was crying, it was a real scene and I felt so bad for the characters and their handlers.

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Sep 2015 DLR Half Marathon Weekend PTR - 2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:52 AM   #36
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post
Oh I saw a bad case of this in HK! They had the princesses appear in the hotel, they were on their way backstage for a break and this kid ran up to them. They waved and said hello and kept walking. Next thing I know the dad was yelling and screaming, stomping around, telling everyone how this had RUINED their vacation and they would never come back, the kid was crying, it was a real scene and I felt so bad for the characters and their handlers.
This was in Hong Kong? The Chinese have a completely different idea of queuing than Western people. The Characters were always MOBBED at HKDL. While the dad acted like a jerk, I would not have been shocked to see a little girl being encouraged to run up to a Character to demand her "turn" even though everyone's turn was over.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #37
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Yeah I saw it a few times, but that was the worst one. I actually found most of the queueing for characters and attractions to be fairly well organised - didn't see any mobbing of characters.

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Sep 2015 DLR Half Marathon Weekend PTR - 2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #38
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
The snowflakes are the parents. So we are already seeing the fallout. Look at what some of the people in this board are willing to do to get what they want when they want it. A trip to disney is no longer enough. Now they will dress their children like human dolls to get the more attention than the other princesses, go in debt, lie about taking classes to get cheaper tickets. The snowflakes are already ruling the world.
I hate that it is true, but I have to agree with you. Soo many spoiled rotten prince and princesses running around.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #39
smkohn
Mouseketeer

This is ridiculous. Nobody is out to make sure your child doesn't see a specific character. Nobody is sneaking around, hearing you plan to go see a character and then cutting the line off right before, laughing maniacally. That is kind of what these parents seem to think sometimes.

I would, however, like to point out that ALL the mean people at Disney won't let me see the New Fantasyland or Test Track while I'm there.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #40
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
You have a point, Snowflakes don't just materialize..a Snowflake kid will grow up to be a Snowflake parent and the vicious cycle continues.

But, there's hope for the world yet. The Non Snowflakes need to band together and tell them NO..might take awhile, because they aren't used to hearing that word, but it can be done.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #41
MarineVet
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post
At the MVMCP last year we were in line to see Cinderella and her family, and they took a break. So we just stood there waiting. Out of a nearby door comes Peter Pan and Wendy. They stop at the end of the line we were in and signed a few autographs, then started walking right along side our line. My daughter says, "Hey Peter Pan, would you sign my book?" He starts SKIPPING away and says in a sing-song voice "No thanks!" We just cracked up, it was such an odd answer to that question.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: