Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 02:24 AM   #16
cornflake
DIS Veteran

I too like the experience gifts.

Not sure where you are but I've given trapeeze lessons, stunt lessons, classes (jewlery making, blacksmithing, art), etc. There are driving lessons with cool cars, all different types of things for almost any interest.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #17
mom2d&b
DIS Veteran

Another idea would be stock to something they are interested in. When my kids were very little I was overwhelmed but all the "stuff" so I started buying stock from ONESHARE.COM. I picked things that worked with their age, when they were 1, I bought Striderite, (since they were just walking and wearing shoes), at 2 it was Energizer since all their toys needed batteries, another year it was McDonalds, then Disney, then Delta to celebrate their first plane trip. DS received Nike stock when he got into sports, Oneshare.com has an option where you can even get the stock certificate framed. We have done this and presented the framed certificate as the gift. One year DH received a share of stock in for Home Depot and another year it was the company that makes his favorite beer.
The ideas are endless and can be adapted for any age.
mom2d&b is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #18
hanutedmansionmomma
DIS Veteran

This is why we travel over xmas now!

We all have time off from school/work, and everyone has all the plastic and electronic stuff they need, really. We spend time together and do something fun like WDW! First cruise this year, but alas, not Disney...
hanutedmansionmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #19
crisi
DIS Veteran

We've done lift tickets, camp, skate park passes. And lots of clothes for my son (my daughter isn't into clothes yet, but he is).
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #20
Mkaz
Well, bust my buttons! That's a horse of a different color!
Some days I think it would be easier to stand on my head and poop nickels.

What about a money tree for the older kids? Stuff for their rooms like new bedding, curtains, etc.

This year we are going with stuff that our daughter needs (except for the laptop), and things that our son has taken up as hobbies (for the most part). We would love to do a trip, but it's really not in the cards because we are trying to plan a trip to Alaska in 2014 (sounds far way, but it's not)

Our 20 year old dd moved out recently:

We bought her a washing machine as an early gift (she really needed it)
Money for her new laptop
crockpot
bread machine

Our son will be 13 in January:

hunting and fishing gear
Roxx (I think that's how you spell it)
maybe a few video games
Sax lessons
ipod touch (not 100% on this yet)

Last edited by Mkaz; 10-09-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Mkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #21
sksjasams
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2d&b View Post
Another idea would be stock to something they are interested in. When my kids were very little I was overwhelmed but all the "stuff" so I started buying stock from ONESHARE.COM. I picked things that worked with their age, when they were 1, I bought Striderite, (since they were just walking and wearing shoes), at 2 it was Energizer since all their toys needed batteries, another year it was McDonalds, then Disney, then Delta to celebrate their first plane trip. DS received Nike stock when he got into sports, Oneshare.com has an option where you can even get the stock certificate framed. We have done this and presented the framed certificate as the gift. One year DH received a share of stock in for Home Depot and another year it was the company that makes his favorite beer.
The ideas are endless and can be adapted for any age.
Thanks - I like this idea! DS14 is a huge Nike fan. Two questions please...

I can't figure out how to get stock with out the frame. Am I missing something?

Sorry for this dumb question in advance..does a share of stock need to be reported for financial aid purposes when applying for college aid?

Thank you!
sksjasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #22
ogreenlee
i surely didn't want to have to use the gorillapod
I'd tell my husband to bite it, but that's just me

At age 9, my DD still wants tangible gifts for Christmas. She is also questioning the deliverer now and wanting to know if I'm the one who says "ho ho ho". Anyway, I love the experience gifting, but wanting to have something under the tree as well.. not sure what to put under there.

We are surprising her with a trip to Disney/Universal leaving on 12/29 so the "under the tree" stuff will need to be fewer. Thinking of giving her a Kindle Fire, new ear buds, clothes, but I know she'll be kind of heartbroken a the lack of "toys", but she's at an age where toys just aren't her thing. Not sure what to do.
ogreenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #23
Mickeypooh99
DIS Veteran

We got Blue Man group tickets for the boys last year. They were in our area a couple months after Christmas. That was a huge hit with my boys, although my boys are only 10 and 11!
Old 10-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #24
KCMiller
Has decided she does not need anonymous approval, even if it does come from a fairy...

My kids are about these ages, and ever since they all got smartphones, we pay for their phone service and internet access. They know that this is their Christmas present each year (it's not inexpensive, even though we're on a great familyplan with Verizon - the internet access really adds up!).

Less stuff, and they know we're thinking of them every day!

KC

My DD was a Maid at Haunted Mansion , and then she was a Merchantainer at AK ! Hooray for the College Program!

My DS was a lifeguard at Blizzard Beach, and then a lifeguard at Caribbean Beach! Hooray for the College Program!
KCMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #25
ogreenlee
i surely didn't want to have to use the gorillapod
I'd tell my husband to bite it, but that's just me

i'm kind of torn w/ the whole "letting the fat man of the hook" b/c i won't have to supply the underneath of the tree w/ loads of toys that never get played with. maybe i'll let this be the last year.
ogreenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #26
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogreenlee View Post
At age 9, my DD still wants tangible gifts for Christmas. She is also questioning the deliverer now and wanting to know if I'm the one who says "ho ho ho". Anyway, I love the experience gifting, but wanting to have something under the tree as well.. not sure what to put under there.

We are surprising her with a trip to Disney/Universal leaving on 12/29 so the "under the tree" stuff will need to be fewer. Thinking of giving her a Kindle Fire, new ear buds, clothes, but I know she'll be kind of heartbroken a the lack of "toys", but she's at an age where toys just aren't her thing. Not sure what to do.
My DD is 9 too and kind of in that in between stage with toys, although she still plays with her AG dolls. In addition to some other things, I am putting together a spa kit for her. I got a robe & slippers from justice, a nail dryer with some polish & other accessories and am going to get her a kaboodle and fill it with things from bath & body, chapsticks, stuff like that.

She's also getting a jewelry armoire for her room since she uses 1/2 of mine. We redid her room this past spring and we'll get her one to match her furniture.

I'm also doing a gift card tree. I bought a cheap table top silver tree and I"ve been picking up gift cards here and there to her favorite places....Justice, Aeropostale, the movies, iTunes, claire's and am going to tie them to the tree.

Maybe that will help with some ideas

US/IOA - June 2015; Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #27
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogreenlee View Post

My thought with your daughter would be if you are surprising her with the trip for Christmas I would wrap up items for the trip to kinda pad her gifts a bit. Some ideas:
Glow sticks or LED toys
Fun water bottle
Character T
Swim suit
Lanyard or pins
Autograph book or item for charcters to sign(i.e. plain tote, T orpillow case)
Park bag

kayrosek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #28
crazyme5kids
DIS Veteran

Over the years I have given my kids concert tickets, tickets for Broadway/Off Broadway sows, Opera tickets, sporting event tickets, movie tickets, restaurant gift cards, gas gift cards.

Last year two of the older ones wanted things for their apartments. Vacuum, good cutting knives, etc... My daughter needed new tires for her car. Another year she got camping gear.

This year I am pitching airline gift cards to the older ones.
crazyme5kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #29
ceecee
DIS Veteran

I really like the Netflix subscription idea, especially for the older ones that are out of the house.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #30
QueenElinor
Yes, they really ARE all redheads!

We try to emphasize the family traditions and not so much the "stuff", and have for a long time. That's why my family would absolutely revolt if we tried to vacation over Christmas!

A few examples- there is no Christmas anything around the house until the day after Thanksgiving- then I wake them up with the Hallelujah Chorus by Handel- really LOUDLY. Which annoys them to no end but if I didn't do it, they'd miss it.

We go out that weekend and cut down a Christmas tree (even if you're not near Forest Service land like we are you might be able to go to a tree farm). Then we drink eggnog and decorate the tree (it's about 12 feet tall and takes all day to do). We observe Advent, and before Mass at midnight Christmas Eve we go out and look at all the Christmas lights around town. On Christmas Day we open presents and watch several favorite old Christmas movies.

I don't think it has ever been about presents, and now that the kids are older and away from home it's the traditions they really want. If you can think of anything like that, maybe even traditions from their childhoods that you might not have done in awhile, that's what I would do.

Last edited by QueenElinor; 10-10-2012 at 10:16 PM.
QueenElinor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: