Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
yarlin
Earning My Ears

Options for people with diabetes?

Hi,

I'll be going with my Disney family to WDW on Jan, 2013. Does someone know what dining/ healthy options are out there for diabetic people when visiting Disney? we are booked with the QSD plan,but it doesnt seem a good option for my dad since he has diabetes

Thanks a lot
yarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
ErinsAuntMimi
Earning My Ears

I'm a type 2 diabetic. We will be using the quick serve plan in about a month. I have scoured the restaurant and snack menus carefully to see the options available. Believe it or not, you don't have to eat burgers, fried chicken and fries the whole time. There are lots of salads, grilled and vegetarian options. Columbia House in MK offers salmon. (THAT's on my list!) Sunshine Seasons in EP has a great variety. Some meals give an option between fries/chips or apple slices or other such choices. I'm pretty sure I've read dining reports where Diser's have asked to sub another available veggie for a starch... never hurts to ask! Ask for sugar-free options as far as dessert goes or ask for a substitution in lieu of (possibly a bottle of water or fruit cup?).

Quick serv meals can also be found at your resort... and you can go to any resort to eat. Plus, there is DTD - Wolf Gang Puck Express is quick serv and has many options and Sandwich of Earl has salads in addition to sandwiches.

There are healthy snacks as well such as fruit, veggies and soups. Go to the The NEW 2012 Confirmed Snacks Thread here on the DisBoards for a really good list to see what is available other than sweets. (I have a list for these as well!) They usually update it for the current year as people report in.

There are so many meal options... I was really surprised! It can be done and done well... just may take a little extra time and planning. May I suggest searching the menus (find them in the Dining section drop down menu at the top of the page). You can then have at least an idea of what is available where you will be each day. Be sure to write down the best options and favorites for each park and resort so you can find them when you get there. Just remember portions are Disney portions and may need to be adjusted (shared) at table.

Don't forget that you can take food with you to the parks. If additional snacks are needed to cope with fluctuating levels that is okay. Additional activity (all that walking!) may cause levels to fluctuate more than usual so I would plan on this just to be on the safe side. I've found I've needed to have a boost at times while standing in the middle of a line to help with this simply because I wasn't paying attention closely enough while gawking at all there is to see!

You might also want to wander over to the DisAbilities section of the boards. One of the "sticky"'s has a FAQ section (2nd one, I think). If you go to post #3 in that one there is some info on Diabetes (you will need to scroll a bit... it is LONG).

Happy planning!

(DH) (Me) (DS 22)
ErinsAuntMimi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
yarlin
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much! very useful information. Will start planning with that info,

Have a nice day, greetings
Old 10-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
PictureJumpr
At Least 'til it Rains

I'm a type 1, and while the desserts in general are not that useful to me (I can think of better things than prepacked chocolate cake to eat if I want/need to up my blood sugar), there are certainly plenty of options.

In MK, Cosmic Ray's rotisserie chicken with mashed potatoes and green beans makes for a good choice. Columbia Harbor House's salmon plate is also good, and I like the Taco Salad at Pecos Bill's (never eat much of the shell, but you can pile on lettuce and tomatoes and salsa and mushrooms and such).

In Epcot, Sunshine Seasons does a roast chicken plate and a salmon plate for QS. I like Tangierine Cafe in Morocco too, for a lighter-than-burgers-and-pizza lunch.

In DHS we rarely eat in the parks - they have barbecue plates and such available there, but we just tend not to eat inside DHS in general.

In AK, Flametree BBQ does chicken and ribs, and Pizzafari does pizzas with salad or entree-sized salads like Chicken Caesar.

In most of the QS locations throughout WDW, they have modified options to include the ability to sub carrot sticks or apples (which can be carried off as snacks for later) instead of chips or fries - Columbia Harbor House even offers broccoli instead of fries. Some locations offer things like Yoplait yogurt instead of desserts, and others offer NSA/artificially sweetened options for dessert. Other places will sub, as PP noted, and let you get a side item like soup or a bottle of water for dessert, but this seems generally less common. I have almost always had success requesting packets of apples or grapes (which are prevalent in kids' meals being served at the same places anyway) in place of things like fries - which I then carry around and eat later.

I also work deals with my travel mates - my ex used to love having double the supply of chocolate cake, and I'd use his snack credits later for other things at better times.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I am sure you will receive lots of tips from Diser's who are diabetic or who have family that are. I would also encourage you to visit the disAbilities board (further down the Dis main page) for more info.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #6
DisMN
DIS Veteran

I'm type 2 diabetic and frankly I have no issues eating almost anything I want when we're visiting Disneyworld. This is because of all the walking and exercise I get on a daily basis when we're there.

Of course I don't eat loads of candy and garbage but I've had no problems with the menus at all, counter service or sit down restaurants.

One thing I always find helpful is eating smaller meals more often. Maybe keep that in mind as well as the fact that he'll be getting so much exercise while you're there. I actually found that my numbers went too low at times due to all the walking!
DisMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
yarlin
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMN
I'm type 2 diabetic and frankly I have no issues eating almost anything I want when we're visiting Disneyworld. This is because of all the walking and exercise I get on a daily basis when we're there.

Of course I don't eat loads of candy and garbage but I've had no problems with the menus at all, counter service or sit down restaurants.

One thing I always find helpful is eating smaller meals more often. Maybe keep that in mind as well as the fact that he'll be getting so much exercise while you're there. I actually found that my numbers went too low at times due to all the walking!
Thank you for the info, I'll keep it in mind.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
yarlin
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureJumpr
I'm a type 1, and while the desserts in general are not that useful to me (I can think of better things than prepacked chocolate cake to eat if I want/need to up my blood sugar), there are certainly plenty of options.

In MK, Cosmic Ray's rotisserie chicken with mashed potatoes and green beans makes for a good choice. Columbia Harbor House's salmon plate is also good, and I like the Taco Salad at Pecos Bill's (never eat much of the shell, but you can pile on lettuce and tomatoes and salsa and mushrooms and such).

In Epcot, Sunshine Seasons does a roast chicken plate and a salmon plate for QS. I like Tangierine Cafe in Morocco too, for a lighter-than-burgers-and-pizza lunch.

In DHS we rarely eat in the parks - they have barbecue plates and such available there, but we just tend not to eat inside DHS in general.

In AK, Flametree BBQ does chicken and ribs, and Pizzafari does pizzas with salad or entree-sized salads like Chicken Caesar.

In most of the QS locations throughout WDW, they have modified options to include the ability to sub carrot sticks or apples (which can be carried off as snacks for later) instead of chips or fries - Columbia Harbor House even offers broccoli instead of fries. Some locations offer things like Yoplait yogurt instead of desserts, and others offer NSA/artificially sweetened options for dessert. Other places will sub, as PP noted, and let you get a side item like soup or a bottle of water for dessert, but this seems generally less common. I have almost always had success requesting packets of apples or grapes (which are prevalent in kids' meals being served at the same places anyway) in place of things like fries - which I then carry around and eat later.

I also work deals with my travel mates - my ex used to love having double the supply of chocolate cake, and I'd use his snack credits later for other things at better times.
Thank you for the tips, I'll be checking those restaurant options for sure

Old 10-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
yarlin
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum
I am sure you will receive lots of tips from Diser's who are diabetic or who have family that are. I would also encourage you to visit the disAbilities board (further down the Dis main page) for more info.
Yes, I've received very useful information from Disers
Thanks

Old 10-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
DougK
Mouseketeer

I am an insulin-using type 2 diabetic and I have found I have to dial down (take less of) my insulin while at Disney World. This is because of the large amount of walking I do there, it more than offsets the extra carb intake. Of course I do not go dessert-crazy, but I do even allow myself a Dole Whip when I am there!

Now there are times my legs bother me so much that I need to use an ECV. In that case of course I need to dial UP (take more of) my insulin because I do less walking but still like to eat!

Being a diabetic at Disney World is just like being a diabetic any other place. You just have to use your common sense.

Have fun!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: