Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #31
LifeIsDis
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

I just came across this TR and I LOVE it so far! Well I don't think you loved the beginning of your trip (sorry about that!), but it can only get better, right?

I cannot wait to read more!

Oh, and I totally think you should do the Dream Along with Mickey auditions! If you really want to work for Disney, go make your dream happen
LifeIsDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #32
MelMel11
Mouseketeer

I'm here!! I can't wait to hear about the Art Of Animation we are staying there in March!!
MelMel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #33
katt789
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
If you fly in on Sunday, we could figure something out for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsDis View Post
I just came across this TR and I LOVE it so far! Well I don't think you loved the beginning of your trip (sorry about that!), but it can only get better, right?

I cannot wait to read more!

Oh, and I totally think you should do the Dream Along with Mickey auditions! If you really want to work for Disney, go make your dream happen
Thanks!!! I'm glad you like it!! That was the benefit of the gong show, it made the rest of the vacation just that much more magical. I haven't decided if I'm going to the audition yet, I'll figure it out!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMel11 View Post
I'm here!! I can't wait to hear about the Art Of Animation we are staying there in March!!
Hi!! AoA was great!! It'll take a while to get to that part of the trip haha!

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #34
katt789
DIS Veteran

Safe & Sound Inside the Disney Bubble

Wow waa wee wa wa, it had been QUITE the day so far! We were onto the Magical Express, and it sure was magical to be inside that Disney bubble, we stopped at the All Star resorts first, which my Mom commented that yes, they were cute, but a basic hotel look to them, yup! After those stops, she also noted that it was pretty much retired people, and people without kids left on the bus, haha! There were also some new cartoons after the Donald one that I hadn’t seen before! YAY!

It wasn’t long before we were pulling in to Animal Kingdom Lodge, and my mind; instantly BLOWN. IT. WAS. AMAZING. Seriously, oh my God, it was even more amazing than the pictures, and even more amazing that I thought it could be!

There was even a “Welcome Home” sign above the door, *sigh* thank you Disney, you know me so well. Right was we walked in, a CM greeted us, and asked if we had done online check in, and guided us to have a seat in the lobby while she grabbed out Welcome package. After guiding us the direction to our room, giving my Mom her birthday button, and wishing us a Magical Day, we were off!

Our room was up one level from the Lobby, on the Ostrich Trail, and not too far down, the first room right past that panel of windows (I can’t remember the number haha, but nice and close). We had our second problem of the day when we got to the room, and the locks on the doors have changed, they no longer require you to stick your key card in it, but we tried anyway, and every way we could to try and get that dang door open! Eventually, something did the trick, and we were in, taking a few quick pics and admiring everything while we dropped our stuff off!

A lovely Towel Mickey! Naturally, I immediately jumped out onto the balcony to see what was going on out there right away!

There were zebras right there!!

(and yes…I am wearing different clothes in those pictures…sssshhh….they were taken the next morning, but hey, I did jump out there right away!) With a quick look at the clock, I realized that we had to get moving, our dinner reservation was coming up nice and quick, and we had to get down there, luckily, it was nice and close, just down stairs!

If you thought Boma, you were correct! Yay! We checked in right away, and were told to grab a seat while we waited!

Thanks to us being a little behind, we were called in right away, and seated at a little window-side table on the opposite side of the room from the buffet, I’m sure it would have had an awesome view if there was still some light outside, Ha! Our server arrived right away, explained everything and took a drink order, we both had some variety of Captain Morgan’s Spiced Rum mixed drinks, and then we headed up to the buffet!

Weird little thing, they have cardboard straws at AKL, like “compostable/environment/animal friendly” ones, they also have them in Animal Kingdom park now too, it was really weird when you weren’t expecting it to have that instead of the plastic ones I’m used to haha! And now, some food pics!

Here’s my plate(s): starting at the top with the beef, we’ve got some beef, some kind of rice, chick pea salad, basmati rice, a kind of yam/sweet potato casserole, and a little cornbread muffin. YUM!

And some grapes, and salad with a cilantro dressing!

And of course, Mom’s plate, with a variety of different things!

Everything was super delicious, this is definitely another one of my favorite buffets I’ve had on Disney property, that’s for sure! Om nom nom!

The winners of the dinner plate were definitely the beef, and the yam dish. Oh my goodness, I love me some yam/sweet potatoes, but these were seasoned just right and sweet and amazing and YUM. I finished most of my plate, and then went up with the intention of getting another slice of beef, yams, and maybe something I’d missed, but ended up realizing I was getting full, so I grabbed some yams, corn bread peanut soup, and browsed through the dessert section, and you should know what I got from there!

Zebra dooooommeeeesss! HECK YES! In case you can’t already tell, they were absolutely amazing, for realizes! One of the greatest desserts I’ve tasted, EVER. The peanut soup: not the greatest! Lawl. But seriously, if you’re ever in at or around Animal Kingdom Lodge, go down to the Mara (the foodcourt place) or get an ADR at Boma because these Zebra Domes are the greatest thing you have ever tasted!

Our server came around with the bill and after a little bit of clarification, we got everything settled and headed out (the bills can be a bit confusing for a first timer on the dining plan, we were trying to figure out what we were supposed to write down when we wanted to do the tip & drinks on Visa, but the food on the DDP.) we had a resort to explore!

Old 10-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #35
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Animal Kingdom Lodge really is amazing in person. Pictures never do it the justice that it deserves.

Yay, Boma! One of my favorites. Nom nom nom.

Yeah, they do the same straws at AKL because of the fact that Animals are accessible outside, so they want to make sure no one throws plastic where it doesn't belong.

Zebra domes. Amahzing.
IheartDDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #36
jane2073
DIS Veteran

We love Boma!!!

I just saw your question about Chicago and I definitely think you should do it!!!
jane2073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #37
AshleyAnn
Mouseketeer

This is the 2nd one of your trip reports I've read. I hope you go to Chicago for the audition! I'm excited to read more!
April 2012 - Caribbean Resort * 2011 - Port Orleans Riverside * 2010 - Coronado Springs * 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge * 1999 - High School Band Trip! (off site) * 1996 - Wilderness Lodge * 1994 - The Cabins at Wilderness Lodge

AshleyAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #38
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

So glad that you guys were happy with AKL. You can tell by the pictures that you were having a great time and so happy to be in WDW with your mom.

Boma sounds delish! That's one we'll probably save for when the princess's palate is a bit more adventurous.
shan23877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #39
katt789
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
Animal Kingdom Lodge really is amazing in person. Pictures never do it the justice that it deserves.

Yay, Boma! One of my favorites. Nom nom nom.

Yeah, they do the same straws at AKL because of the fact that Animals are accessible outside, so they want to make sure no one throws plastic where it doesn't belong.

Zebra domes. Amahzing.
Oh my god I know, I just want to live there forever. I know people complain about it being so far from everything, but it really isn't! I loved it! Boma is definitely one of my favorites, I'll definitely eat there again! Om nom nom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane2073 View Post
We love Boma!!!

I just saw your question about Chicago and I definitely think you should do it!!!
Yay! It's so delicious!! I'm still kinda on the fence hha

Old 10-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #40
katt789
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyAnn View Post
This is the 2nd one of your trip reports I've read. I hope you go to Chicago for the audition! I'm excited to read more!
Hi!! I'm glad you enjoy, thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
So glad that you guys were happy with AKL. You can tell by the pictures that you were having a great time and so happy to be in WDW with your mom.

Boma sounds delish! That's one we'll probably save for when the princess's palate is a bit more adventurous.
UGH, AH-MAY-ZING. Hahah, it was amazing, and hey,a much better evening that the day. It was so good, haha, I can definitely imagine Maddie not wanting to eat much of the food yet haha. I certainly know I still live off PB &J half the time haha

Old 10-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #41
katt789
DIS Veteran

Ya Picked the Right One Girl

Now that our bellies were full and our day had been made one heck of a lot better, we left Boma with the idea of heading over to the Mara to pick up our mugs and take in all the sites around that area, passing the pool on the way.

Would we ever manage to swim here? You’ll have to stick around to find out! Ha! I got a pink mug, and my Mom got a teal one! I was a little disappointed to see that the mug design hadn’t changed at all this year, and was wondering, how do they keep people from brining their mugs back year after year and getting free refills for as long as that mug design goes on? Like, I don’t want to be a bad person, but I’ll probably do that on a future trip… I picked up some coffee for the next morning, and Mom got some decaf for now, and we looked at the little sections of food/snacks they had, and I did my best to explain what the quick service meal plan included to my Mom.

I said that we definitely didn’t have time to come down to the Mara in the morning for breakfast, but could pick up some snacks here for the morning, or go an hour or two at the parks before getting some food there, and she said she’d rather just do the latter, and make coffee in the room. So, we headed out to explore!

I will tell ya one thing, it is kinda confusing to get around AKL, as you have the lobby on one level, and have to go down to get out to Boma/Mara, upstairs to get to the room and all over the place, and there’s stairways everywhere, so it gets a little confusing at times, I know my Mom got lost a few times, haha!

We went outside and sat around the little fire pit for a while, just relaxing, it was just awesome to be in Disney!

Le sigh, there was so much amazing beautiful stuff to look at in Animal Kingdom Lodge, it was just awesome, I was so in awe. We wandered around outside a bit, just taking it all in and looking around the savannah, there were lots of animals all around, including some giraffes sleeping, lying down, they were so cute! While we were watching them and talking to a couple of the CM’s in the area, my Mom turned to me and said “you know me so well” and I asked if I had picked the right resort, and I definitely had.

Mom and I made a little stop at the gift shop to look around, and I found a sweater that I really liked (but never bought super sad face) and a coffee mug that I LOVED!!

In the end when I had my souvenir money I didn’t get it, as I couldn’t find the one I wanted, booo urns! After such a long day of travel and the gong show that it was, we were both really tired, and decided it was time to get back to the room, and get some sleep, but first, we had to stop at the front desk, as we still didn’t know how to get into our room properly! Turns out that they’re a new system where there’s a little almost holographic Mickey on the top corner of your key card, and you just have to tap it on the Mickey head on the lock to open the room. I’m also pretty sure this was explained on the card hanging on the door, but neither of us thought to look there. Ha! And now, I take you on a little tour of our room!

The bathroom area, two sinks, and the big mirror, which was separate from the actual toilet & bath tub, the shower curtain had some little Mickey heads on it as well!

Across from the bathroom section was a little chest/dresser thing to store your stuff on it, to the left of it, was the closet, followed by the mini fridge! Also, can we talk about how much I love that they disguise the fridges as other things, or inside cupboards or whatever, it just keeps the themeing up so well!

Then of course, the tv, which was soon turned on to Stacy as I got ready for bed, we had a very early morning the next day, and I was super exhausted after the one heck of a draining day that had been our travel day!

Old 10-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #42
jane2073
DIS Veteran

I love the wallpaper in the room!
Your pictures just reinforce the fact we need to stay there! My daughter loves the country of Afrrica (too many trips to AK!). She really wants to stay at AKL.
jane2073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #43
katt789
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane2073 View Post
I love the wallpaper in the room!
Your pictures just reinforce the fact we need to stay there! My daughter loves the country of Afrrica (too many trips to AK!). She really wants to stay at AKL.
It's great! Haha, it was amazing. Mom loves Africa, and said that a lot of the AKL/AK aspects really are dead on (obviously there are things that are not haha) but AKL is definitely taking tops on a favorite of mine now!

Old 10-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #44
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

It's great that the resort you picked out for your mom for her gift trip ended up being one she enjoyed so much!
ronnmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #45
lydieaw
Earning My Ears

Can't wait to hear what you think about the AOA LM rooms! Hopefully before our stay on halloween!
lydieaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: