Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #31
SweetJoy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
I'm not listening to everything they say!!! for heavens sake they were probably in the back and who listens to all their yacking?

Seriously you listen intently to all the conversation going on in your car when you take kids? I can guarantee you won't be the preferred mode of transportation as they get older.

Again I ask if the OP's son asked the parent to intervene? I'm not butting into 2 boys squabbling over something, sorry.

And I don't need a lecture on supervising kids. a school group etc is a lot different than a few boys in my car.
No, unfortunately my son didn't ask the other parent to intervene. That's one of the things we had a long talk about - asserting himself and saying "Mr. So-and-so, xxxx has my phone and is making prank calls with it. I've asked for it and he won't give it back". My DS thought that by saying 'give it back' loudly a few times, the other parent would step in. Honestly if I were the driver - I would have. I have no problem telling misbehaving kids to knock it off.
I mentioned earlier in the thread that the boy with the phone took a short video clip of the hijinks - you can hear my son demanding the phone back and the boy - who is in the front seat - laughing. I would imagine (from what I saw) that this would have been very distracting to the driver. At any rate, I'm not going to call the other boy's mom. Hopefully a lesson learned for my son!
SweetJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #32
teacup princess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
A cell phone is an expensive item and as an adult, you should step in. It's not like it's a mechanical pencil or knit cap. As an adult, you just say, 'cut the crap boys, give the phone back now.' Then instruct the owner to put the phone away and not get it out again, firmly. 11 yo boys need guidance and boundaries. They take lack of supervision as permission to have bad behavior.
As someone who has had charge of as many as 65 kids at one time, over and over, they respond best to rules. In the end, they actually like knowing bullying will not be tolerated. Would you just throw them in a pen and let them fight it out? Sounds like it.
Do you really think it is this other parents job to guard a child's expensive electronic equipment? Maybe this parent felt it was a greater use of his attention to focus on the ROAD and protect the LIVES of his passengers rather than focus on some stupid cell phone that he probably didn't know the kid had anyway. If you give a child an expensive electronic device then you're taking a risk that it's going to get broken or misused. If he brought it with him then it's his responsibility to use it properly and protect it.
teacup princess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #33
SweetJoy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacup princess View Post
Do you really think it is this other parents job to guard a child's expensive electronic equipment? Maybe this parent felt it was a greater use of his attention to focus on the ROAD and protect the LIVES of his passengers rather than focus on some stupid cell phone. If you give a child an expensive electronic device that's then you're taking a risk that it's going to get broken or misused. If he brought it with him then it's his responsibility to use it properly and protect it.
I agree with this. The boy who took the phone is the 'leader' and my son the 'follower' in this friendship, and I want my son to develop the tools to change that dynamic. Maybe this was a good thing, if he learns to deal with it a different way next time.
SweetJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #34
codimouse
Over 45 Trips to Disney from San Antonio, Tx!

I would want to know if my child was not acting appropriately.

Sandi; sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
codimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #35
TEENEE
I can wiggle my ears
Must eat one thing at a time
Member of the 3n club

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacup princess View Post
I guess I'm in the minority here. I would not be calling the kids parents or the adult driver. Kids think prank calling at that age is funny. Definately not something to get worked up over. Yeah, the kid should have given the phone back when asked. It's a great lesson that you've taught your child to be more assertive with his property, but it's not your job to tell the other parents what lessons you think they should be teaching their child. Nor do I think it's your job to reprimand the driver for in retrospect not acting like you would have in that situation.

No one's safety was at risk. If some kids parents called me to reprimand me for such a minor situation, I'd think they were an overprotective loon and I'd be steering my kid away from any future interaction with their child.
I couldn't have said it better.
TEENEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #36
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetJoy View Post
I agree with this. The boy who took the phone is the 'leader' and my son the 'follower' in this friendship, and I want my son to develop the tools to change that dynamic. Maybe this was a good thing, if he learns to deal with it a different way next time.
Exactly! That is what childhood and growing up should be learning, and trial and error. Except we have taken that away from kids now by solving all their problems and never letting them learn to solve them on their own.

Your son has learned a lot more from this that will serve him the rest of his life than if the other parent would have told the kid to give it back.

Problem solving is learned and developed not an automatic.

Later in life it could be the keys from a friend to drunk to drive! and he will know what to do.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #37
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Our yard was tp'd last night, and ds14 saw who did it. It's a prank - I'm not calling the parent, I'm not mad at all. Now, if the calls involved personal threats or vulgar language, then I might say something. But if he just asked if their refridgerator was running? Yes, I know I'm dating myself with that!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #38
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
It doesn't matter whether it's his kid or not. He is the adult in charge of the children.

Any child that i was ever responsible for was made it understand that I was in charge and therefore I make the rules while they are with me.

But I wouldn't be calling the other kid's parents. In the grand scheme of things a couple of prank phone calls is no biggie. I'd also be thinking twice about letting my kid go with this parent who can't seem to control some 11 year old boys in a car.
Okay, that is you but not every parent would do the same. I would not pull my car over and I wouldn't grab the phone from the kid's hand. I would let their parent know and let their parent deal with them. I'd probably mention it to the parent of the phone owner so they can deal with it the way they want. I just don't see it as that big of a deal, like someone said its not like someone was getting beat up in the car.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #39
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy

I'm not listening to everything they say!!! for heavens sake they were probably in the back and who listens to all their yacking?

Seriously you listen intently to all the conversation going on in your car when you take kids? I can guarantee you won't be the preferred mode of transportation as they get older.
Yes i actually do listen to what the kids are talking about in the car. Its not hard. We're all in the same vehicle. I have intervened when my son and his friend had a disagreement in the car. Not always mind you. I like to see how he handles the situation himself. but there have been times when it was necessary (his friend was being very inappropriate).

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using DISBoards App

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #40
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

I wonder when parents stoppped being parents?
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #41
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
I wonder when parents stoppped being parents?
Why are you wondering, its pretty clear it was when you found out they don't parent exactly like you.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: