Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #196
ppoe65
Mouseketeer

I've been following your TR and the pics are great. I went to college in Tampa and spent many weekends in Madera Beach. What a great place.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #197
awfullybigadventure
Mouseketeer

Your daughter is so adorable! Love the beach pictures! I hope you find a wedding picture or two to post. As a somewhat recent beach bride, I have a soft spot for beach weddings.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #198
amazingact21
Upendi

The Gulf Coast beaches are some of the prettiest. I can understand your DD's love of them. If you are ever near the panhandle of FL, you should see our beaches. They are gorgeous. The sand is white as snow, and ocean is a green-blue. Mind you, this is coming from someone who lives by these beaches, so I'm partial to them.

I'm sure the wedding photos are beautiful. Beach weddings are always pretty.
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Current Reports:Let's Watch the Hallucination Show on the Castle -A May '14 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 TR/December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 10-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #199
wakica
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarin4Disney View Post
Great update!!! We live 5 minutes from Madeira Beach and have annual passes to Busch Gardens so it was nice to read your updates.

Yes, BG is a very hot park. We can only stand about 4 to 5 hours of it before it gets unbearable, but it is also very pretty park.
Oh, I'm glad to hear from someone that's been there lots that it is a hot park and wasn't just us. LOL. We REALLY enjoy it though It was quite entertaining that we had to run from store to store the last part of our day there tho!! HAHAHA You can tell we come from a more mild to cold temperature place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsiDAISY View Post
Beautiful beach picutres! Can't wait to see how you and your DH viewed the wedding through your lens...
I will definitely show some pics off. It was a very beautiful wedding and it's a lovely beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppoe65 View Post
I've been following your TR and the pics are great. I went to college in Tampa and spent many weekends in Madera Beach. What a great place.
So happy to see new people joining in and thanks for saying hello too We are a bit envious that you got to spend so much time at Madeira Beach. We will post some wedding pics we got there and our final visit there too so keep checking back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullybigadventure View Post
Your daughter is so adorable! Love the beach pictures! I hope you find a wedding picture or two to post. As a somewhat recent beach bride, I have a soft spot for beach weddings.

awe thanks
I'll for sure post some. I will try to get them up soon too. It's been crazy busy for us so it's hard to find time. My dd would like to get married on a beach someday too. It's a great idea. Wish it was more common when I got married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
The Gulf Coast beaches are some of the prettiest. I can understand your DD's love of them. If you are ever near the panhandle of FL, you should see our beaches. They are gorgeous. The sand is white as snow, and ocean is a green-blue. Mind you, this is coming from someone who lives by these beaches, so I'm partial to them.

I'm sure the wedding photos are beautiful. Beach weddings are always pretty.
Oooooohhh!!! Your beaches sound SO GLORIOUS!!!! You know you might end up with some visitors now some day hey?? LOL

Me dh dd(16)
Old 10-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #200
wakica
DIS Veteran

DAY 14 - MADEIRA BEACH WEDDING
DH already offloaded the wedding pics from our main drive on to the back up so I just grabbed the pics from our facebook page and uploaded them to photobucket so I hope it doesn't affect the quality of them.

We woke up fairly early so we could get to the hotel where the bride was getting ready. We were coming from our condo in Kissimmee so leaving early and getting home LATE made for a very long day.

It was a beautiful wedding though Take a look for yourself...

After the ceremony and bridal party photos were done we decided to run over to St. Johns Pass boardwalk for some pics and while we were there I ran and got the bride and groom and ice cream cone to share

The ceremony was at 2 and the reception at 5 which was too bad bc that only gave us 2 hours to get the formal stuff with family and bridal party AND just some time with bride and groom so it was rushed and we didn't get everything we would have liked especially bc there was some lingering and chatting after the ceremony Brides - make sure you have LOTS of tiime between ceremony and reception bc these are the photos you will remember and love forever. Make sure you ask your photographer how much time he would like before booking your times.

Anyway, some details from the reception...

and bc things had been so rushed DH begged them to sneak away at his FAVORITE time (blue light time) - he very often tries to get the bride and groom to sneak away at this tiime bc you can get such BEAUTIFUL shots!!

There was much much much more I could have shown but I won't go crazy. LOL. These are some of our faves of the day.
Beach weddings are definitely beautiful. I think my own DD wants to get married in Hawaii someday so we are looking forward to a beach wedding of our own to plan some day.

Hope you enjoyed the pics.

Next up is a SUPER BUSY day of surf lesson at the crack of dawn, check out of condo and into Royal Pacific Resort at Universal AND a get together with the family and friends of the wedding.

Thanks for reading

Me dh dd(16)

Last edited by wakica; 10-23-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #201
oopsiDAISY
DIS Veteran

How freaking awesome was that?? That looks like it was such a cool wedding...and the photography was gorgeous!!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #202
awfullybigadventure
Mouseketeer

Quote:
How freaking awesome was that?? That looks like it was such a cool wedding...and the photography was gorgeous!!!!
Beautiful wedding! Gorgeous pictures! Our beach wedding had the same exact color scheme. Thank you for taking the time to post!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #203
amazingact21
Upendi

Your pictures of the wedding are gorgeous! Man, makes me wish we could've hired you guys for my own wedding.

Yikes, I bet driving back to your condo, checking out the following morning, and going to the surf lesson was kind of hectic, but I can't wait to hear how your DD enjoyed it!
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Current Reports:Let's Watch the Hallucination Show on the Castle -A May '14 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 TR/December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 10-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #204
wakica
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullybigadventure View Post
Beautiful wedding! Gorgeous pictures! Our beach wedding had the same exact color scheme. Thank you for taking the time to post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
Your pictures of the wedding are gorgeous! Man, makes me wish we could've hired you guys for my own wedding.

Yikes, I bet driving back to your condo, checking out the following morning, and going to the surf lesson was kind of hectic, but I can't wait to hear how your DD enjoyed it!
It really WAS a beautiful wedding! I'm SO all for dd having a beach wedding so I can live vicariously through her. Bahaha - we just didn't do that kind of thing 20 years ago something like that would NEVER have been on my radar.
so glad you guys liked seeing it and thank you for the compliments on the photography. We try hard to make every session we do as beautiful and memorable as possible.

YES it is going to be a jam packed day for sure and sadly I had WANTED to get in more but it was of course NOT at ALL realistic!!

Me dh dd(16)
Old 12-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #206
wakica
DIS Veteran

Oh my gosh! Has it really been almost 2 months since I was last on here?!?!?! I really really do intend to finish it. LOL I will try my best to make some time to get back on soon.

So sorry to leave you hanging

Me dh dd(16)
Old 12-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #208
wakica
DIS Veteran

Day 15

And at long long last here it is....

I'm back with Day 15 - May 11 - PT 1 Early morning SURF LESSON at Typhoon Lagoon for DD.

Being that we were out all day yesterday shooting a wedding out by Tampa the last thing we wanted to schedule on this morning was a super early surf lesson at Typhoon Lagoon BUT I didn't do so hot on booking it early enough and this was ALL we could get that would even REMOTELY work with our schedule and I was NOT going to skip this one. It has been DD's dream for a long time now to go surfing so we would just make it work.

We woke up SSOOO early and tired and maybe a bit cranky and dragging our butts. We knew that we were in for a long day. Surf lesson at 6am, check out of our condo, check in to Royal Pacific Resort and I was dreaming of fitting in a quick trip over to get the wet rides out of the way at Islands of Adventure and then possibly a bbque with the family of the wedding that we did the day before.

Once we got moving though it wasn't so bad. It was beautiful, fresh outside and warmer than we EVER have at 5am in the morning back home!

We got to Typhoon Lagoon in great time since we were so close (Our condo rocks!!). I think there may have been 3 other families there already before us.

Then we waited...

and waited...

and waited...

and waited...

Ya, I was ticked off at this point. I can't remember the time but I'm sure it was probably about 30 minutes PAST the time we were TOLD to be there by before someone came sauntering through the gate. No appologies or anything!

Then we waited MORE while everyone took turns going into the little shack to take care of finalizing payments etc...
Grrr, I really didn't wake up that early to wait, wait and wait some more

but FINALLY we were heading in. It's so cool being in the water park before it's open!! Just peaceful and beautiful

We met in an area to the right, near the back of the park by stairs that lead down to the wave pooland met the instructors. They all had really good credentials and had been surfing for a long time and even judged surf competitions all over the world so that was kind of cool.

DH grabbed some early morning shots of the park - I liked this one..

They had each of the students come up for some one on one ground training with the instructors where they were taught how to lay on and hold the board and how to jump up onto it. Cali did really well and was done very quickly. Good start! Hoping for that to continue in the water.

then they lined up by the stairs leading down to the water and got some final instructions...

Cali's on the far left behind the kid in the hat. As you can see the ages really varried. Keep in mind though when you are thinking of booking that the youngest kids did not last the whole lesson One took a pretty good wipe out and gave up and I'm not sure why another one stopped. One girl had a cast but was going to give it a try anyway but she stopped too bc it was too hard on her hand/arm after all. DD was 14 a few months before this lesson and was good to go. I think the min age was 12 though and seeing the younger ones and how they made out i wouldn't put them in at that age - not worth the price in case they can't handle it.

I was worried about the time but she did end up getting a good amount of turns in. I think like 10 or 12 but can't remember for sure. It also helped though that there were a few that stopped so I wouldn't always count on that many turns.

Here are some pics we got. they had the option to take a larger first wave or be held by the instructor and sent on the second smaller wave. DD chose the smaller wave every time but had the time of her life

At the end they all met back at the chairs they had set up for the talking part. They just thanked them all for coming, told them where else they held classes and had them all come up to get a certificate and high fives.
They all fell in love with Dd's name bc it's Cali "like California?" they asked at the start of class and then never forgot it and made a point of saying it lots and lots. LOL

Then they had a photo opp. I forced dd to get up there right fast bc things were dragging behind and they wanted to get them out of the park quickly as it was opening already.
I'm glad I pushed her up fast bc only a few ppl got to get individual pics witht hem and dd LOVES this pic!!!

Our rating of the surfing was a 10+++ DD would have done it again and again if we had more time and more money. LOL
My thoughts on the TL staff being late is another story but you can't always have everything I guess. A brief apology would have been nice though.

A few things to point out for those thinking of surf lessons...

1. as mentioned earlier - if they are younger people make sure they are really up for it. 14 was good for us but my dd was already taking life guarding lessons so she's an advanced swimmer. The younger kids that did try didn't make it all that far and gave up and it's pretty expensive to have that happen.

2. One girl that was older than Cali by a few years had taken surf lessons in two other places (ocean not waterpark) and she had a hard tiime getting up so if your worried it's not going to be a challenge then think twice. She said it seemed harder to surf in TL's waves than it did on the ocean. Perhaps it's the fact that in the ocean you anticipate your wave and see it coming for awhile and have time to prep for it and the wave pool it's just BOOm and it's there. I'm not sure but she didn't get up as much as she would have liked so it definitely offers a challenge.

3. It's expensive but SO worth it for us!!! Just the peace of mind that my daughter is learning to surf in such a safe envirronment was wonderful for me!!! Rather than in an ocean with dangerous waves that can take you by surprise if your not paying attention.

4. BOOK WELL IN ADVANCE!!!! I thought i was calling soon enough - maybe 5 weeks out but I was so wrong You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance I think so just go ahead and get it booked early.

next up will be our arrival at Royal Pacific Resort. We were SOOO excited for this fancy resort and staying on site at the Universal parks!!!!!!!!

Me dh dd(16)
Old 12-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #209
wakica
DIS Veteran

Oh I forgot to mention that before they started surfing they all had to take a turn getting in the water on a surf board and paddle out, turn around and come back in just to make sure they all had a feel for it. They would need to paddle out of the deep end to the shallow area to get out of the pool after each turn and preferably before the next set of waves came in so they wanted them to have a feel for paddling and turning to start off.

Me dh dd(16)
Old 12-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #210
lablady
Mouseketeer

Wow! I just found your TR today, and thanks to an incredibly slow day at work, I've read all your updates. Your pictures are amazing!!! I really can't believe the amount of stuff you guys have managed to do in one trip. Can't wait to read the rest!

<Shawna>

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: