Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
Wishescouple
Earning My Ears

Smile Brown Derby -- AMAZING Customer Service in DHS!

Just wanted to spread some love for another example of stellar Disney World customer service.

My wife and I are huge Disney heads--we first went together in 2007 and have tried to be back almost every year since, including for our honeymoon--and one of the reasons we love Disney World is because of the out-of-the-real-world customer service. No one treats their guests as well as Disney does (well, maybe some uber-expensive five star resorts for fabulously wealthy people, but we're certainly not in the tax bracket to know if that's the case!).

My wife started the tradition of getting a caricature of the two of us during every trip, so we have a unique, one-of-a-kind memento that is both specific to WDW and specific to us--and we proudly display them as happy reminders of our fantastic vacations.

We're not able to go this year, because, luckily, we have a baby on the way! Realizing we have a caricature from WDW for a lot of our major life events of the past few years (getting engaged, getting married, my wife's graduation from graduate school, etc.) but wouldn't have one for this most magical of times, I thought it would be a great idea to get a caricature from WDW even though we won't be physically there this time. Plus, our anniversary was coming up, and what could be better than a memento from our favorite place?

But then I hit a road block--there's no readily available info. about how to get one of those (as I imagine it's not a very common occurrence to 'order' one when you're not in the Parks), and I didn't even know the name of the artist who usually does our caricatures! All I knew was where we usually got them--from the quiet, reserved gentleman whose little cart is set up outside of Hollywood Studios' Brown Derby restaurant.

With that scant information in mind and guided by the reassurance that everyone at Disney World is committed to making your Disney World experience--even if you're not staying at the Parks currently!!--totally happy and satisfying, I called WDW customer service and began my search.

After only two super-helpful representatives who didn't know exactly how to address my concerns but who WERE committed to getting me answers, I had the phone number for the Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant, since that was the closest I could get to getting in touch with the caricature artist (since the artists don't have phones at their carts/areas). I reached the restaurant and was transferred to the manager's voice mail, where I left a message explaining that I wanted to get in touch with the caricature artist outside the restaurant, fully realizing it's a long shot and he's not officially affiliated with the restaurant at all, that it was for my anniversary, etc. I fully expected the message to go unheard, or at least unanswered, for days, if at all.

But I forgot--this is Disney World we're talking about!

A couple of hours later, Debbi, a (possibly THE) Hollywood Brown Derby manager called me back. She was super-friendly and super-enthusiastic, and thought the idea of getting a caricature for our anniversary reflecting the fact that we're about to be parents was great (not to toot my own horn)! She even had the name of the caricature artist--Greg--ready for me, and had even already checked with him that he'd be able to do what I needed!

Where else--honestly--where else is customer service as fantastic as this? Where someone who is not contributing to their direct bottom line is as proactive and kind and dedicated as this? No where, that's where! At least in my experience. I was truly stunned and elated by not only the fact that my idea could become a reality, but by the fact that Debbi was so willing to execute it to a 'T'!

Debbi suggested that I forward a picture of my wife and I to her email address so she can show Greg what we look like, a minor detail in drawing a caricature, admittedly. In the meantime, she would look into how to actually get Greg paid. I emailed her the photos and she called me back in no time. She had printed out the photos, handed them to Greg--who said he remembered us (!)--and we set up payment. Then she said she'd ship them to me, and I said "OK how much is that going to cost?". She said "Not to worry, just bring your baby to visit the Brown Derby next time you're in town"!!

Unreal! She had arranged the entire gift process, from tracking down the caricature artist, to setting up payment, to sending the caricature, and it's JUST BECAUSE SHE'S AWESOME! Seriously! This in no way has technically anything to do with the restaurant she manages, but because she's a cast member and loves making other people happy, she gave my wife and I an unforgettable memory (and so did Greg, of course!).

The caricature arrived, and it was fantastic. My caricature wants to go to Disney, my wife's caricature is on the bed with a pregnant belly saying forget Disney, we have to go the maternity ward. As always, we look great, and it's as clever as Greg's other work. I couldn't wait to give it to my wife.

Our anniversary day came and--she loved it! She also loved the story of how we got it and to be reminded of how truly remarkable and literally outstanding Disney can be.

I am still stunned by this, and can't wait 'til we can get there to thank Debbi in person--and have Greg draw a new caricature of the newest member of our family! So if you're at DHS and want a great customer experience, you have to swing by the Brown Derby and tell Debbi I said hi!
Wishescouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
smcabee
Boomer Sooner

Now thats Customer Service covered with a truckload of pixie dust. Congrats on your anniversary and new child.
smcabee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
stoneyloon
Mouseketeer

Fantastic service, I guess we all know where baby's first vacation will be......

• 2014 - Elvis Wedding in Vegas and Disneyland California for a change.
  • 2012 - Disney's Wilderness Lodge
  • 2010 - Buena Vista Palace
  • 2008 - Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
  • 2005 - I Drive cheap'n'cheerful
  • 1989 - Kissimmee cheapest place we could find!
stoneyloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
DisneyFansInLINY
DIS Veteran

That is absolutely wonderful! We love Disney for reasons like this! Congratulations on your soon to be new addition and Happy Anniversary! Btw I have been to Disney 3 times pregnant. 2 times with my 1st pregnancy (1st trimester and 2nd trimester) and 1 time with my 2nd pregnancy (3rd trimester) We actually didn't know I was pregnant with our first child and found out while at Disney! Traveling in the third trimester was a little hard but I rented a scooter which made it easier. If your wife decides for a last minute baby moon. Disney is wonderful for pregnant women and very accommodating. But if no baby moons for you both, make sure to bring your baby as soon as he/she can enjoy it! We took our daughter when she was 1 and we took our son when he turned 1. It's a great age and if you go to the barber shop on Main Street in MK, you can have baby's first haircut! They do an amazing job and you get a certificate and Mickey Ears with first haircut embroided on it!
DisneyFansInLINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
pascalstongue
DIS Veteran

What a lovely story! Best of luck with the pregnancy and new baby.

pascalstongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
rznhal
DIS Veteran

Awesome story!! Thanks for sharing and congratulations!!!

me, DH, DD6, DS2
1988-Grand Floridian, 1993-offsite, 1994-offsite
2002-DTD and Disney Cruise Honeymoon
2005-offsite, 2009-POP, 2011-CSR
2012-Adults only Graduation Trip-AKL
2013-AKL again!
rznhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
DVC Jen
DIS Veteran
Wigs out even the biggest circus freaks!
Proudly wears the title of WEIRDEST DISer!

Wow! I love hearing stories like that. Thanks so much for sharing.. and Happy Anniversary.

Check Out My Disney Vacation Photos My Disney Family Vacation Galleries
DVC Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
lynn46356
DIS Veteran

Marvelous Story and why I love Disney so much! Congratulations on your upcoming arrival and may you be blessed with many more years of marriage bliss!!!!! Oh, and we did get our 3rd son's haircut at the MK barber shop and it was a memory to last a lifetime!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
ses1230
DIS Veteran

Happy Anniversary and congratulations on your upcoming arrival. Thank you for sharing, I love hearning the good stories!

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT
ses1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
TeresaWen
Mouseketeer

Congratulations on your anniversary and your baby! What a great idea you had and how awesome that Disney helped you make it happen.

Thanks for sharing such a great story! I bet your baby will love hearing about it one day too!!
TeresaWen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

Love it! Fantastic story, thank you for sharing it. On a somewhat less magical note, I was able to drag DW and (adult) DD to the Brown Derby for the first time on our trip a couple of weeks ago. Those two are extremely picky eaters to the point where DW exclaimed while looking at the menu "...And I agreed to eat here?" Cutting to the chase both LOVED what they chose from the menu, and the meal was topped off by wonderful service from a gentleman named Moses. He was so good we called for the manager to comment on the job he did. We'll be returning to BD, as I'm sure your family will
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #12
magusmom
Earning My Ears

Love this story! Happy anniversary and congrats on your upcoming arrival!!
magusmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anniversary, brown derby, caricature, customer service, dhs

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: