Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
newlittleminnie
DIS Veteran

About to explode with the stress of planning!

Ok so I may be over reacting a little but how do you cope with the stress of planning??!

I'm in the very early stages of planning a trip and I feel so overwhelmed with information and I have so many questions and seem to get different answers from every thread i read

Flights, resort decisions, how to book onto DME, using DME, using DME as an international visitor, buses from resorts to parks, where are the bus stops, how long do journeys take, mears shuttle or taxi to universal, dining or no dining, where to purchase tickets from....not to mention closer to the time there'll be EMH and working this around wanting to be in MK for valentines....

It just seems never ending, it will be our first trip without my DBF's parents and I'm more the planner of the two of us. I just want to make this trip as close to perfect as possible...

Thank you for letting me get that off my chest

August 2012: Highlands Reserve ~ August 2013: High Grove ~
October 2013: DLRP Hotel Cheyenne
~ October 2014: WDW Art of Animation?

newlittleminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Bob1510a
Earning My Ears

Generally the parks with the EMH (extra magic hours) are the busiest on any give day. Unless you plan to use the time, I would recommend to avoid that park.

Good luck on planning
Bob1510a is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
Bagheera23608
Bagheera23608

First - BREATHE

Yes, there is a lot to look at. But - there is no such thing as perfect. No matter how you plan, something will NOT go according to it, lol. It's just Murphy's Law. RELAX.

My best advice, if you haven't already, is to check out The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World. It covers everything and unlike the internet (well, for me anyway) you can carry it with you everywhere and make notes in it, post-it note to death, etc.

This is one of the BEST sites on the internet for research, also. What resort to stay at? First, price, then what do you like? Romantic? Fun? Entertainment? I tend to pick price level then theme since most resorts offer the same ammenities.

EMHs - are you a morning person? Are you planning to stay in the parks all day? I think in Feb the hours will be shorter, so it is up to YOU if you want to take advantage of them or not.

If all else fails, contact a travel agent in your area who is well versed in WDW - it's not hard to find one! That's how I did my first trip and she was an awesome resource. Now, I can do it all pretty much on my own and I love all the details. If it's too much for you - contact the agent. This much stress is no fun.

Remember - nothing is EVER perfect. Relax, breathe, enjoy! :hugs:
Bagheera23608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
newlittleminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1510a View Post
Generally the parks with the EMH (extra magic hours) are the busiest on any give day. Unless you plan to use the time, I would recommend to avoid that park.

Good luck on planning
Thanks for the reply, we are planning to use EMH some of the time, although obviously on some days plans will clash and it won't be possible. Although I am not one for crowds we went in August this year and the crowds weren't too bad, so I'm not too worried about the crowd levels

Old 10-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
IllinoisMommy
Mouseketeer

Take a deep breath and don't expect everything to be perfect. Once you decide, don't look back. There is always someone who will disagree with what you have chosen, and feel the need to share their awful experience with that resort/restaurant/activity. Don't overplan, leave time for the magic to happen. And when something doesn't go as planned- don't fall into the 'magic was ruined' trap. It is a vacation- how can it be ruined with one event

Disneyworld, Off-site 1981; Disneyland, Disneyland Hotel 1983; Disneyworld, Off-site 1992; Disneyworld, Off-site 1997 ; Disneyworld, Old Key West 2003; Disneyworld, POFQ 2007; Disneyworld and Universal, Offsite Christmas 2012
EPCOT Family of the Day, 12-24-12
Hopeful future DVC members
IllinoisMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
newlittleminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagheera23608 View Post
First - BREATHE

Yes, there is a lot to look at. But - there is no such thing as perfect. No matter how you plan, something will NOT go according to it, lol. It's just Murphy's Law. RELAX.

My best advice, if you haven't already, is to check out The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World. It covers everything and unlike the internet (well, for me anyway) you can carry it with you everywhere and make notes in it, post-it note to death, etc.

This is one of the BEST sites on the internet for research, also. What resort to stay at? First, price, then what do you like? Romantic? Fun? Entertainment? I tend to pick price level then theme since most resorts offer the same ammenities.

EMHs - are you a morning person? Are you planning to stay in the parks all day? I think in Feb the hours will be shorter, so it is up to YOU if you want to take advantage of them or not.

If all else fails, contact a travel agent in your area who is well versed in WDW - it's not hard to find one! That's how I did my first trip and she was an awesome resource. Now, I can do it all pretty much on my own and I love all the details. If it's too much for you - contact the agent. This much stress is no fun.

Remember - nothing is EVER perfect. Relax, breathe, enjoy! :hugs:
Thank you for that, just someone saying the word relax made me take a breath lol

I'm trying to get all my thought's in order by writing down all my questions/queries in a notebook which seems to be helping a little

Thank you for the advice :hugs:

Old 10-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It can be overwhelming but it does not need to be. I read the unofficial Guide but I just pored over this website and asked questions. People will help!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
newlittleminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisMommy View Post
Take a deep breath and don't expect everything to be perfect. Once you decide, don't look back. There is always someone who will disagree with what you have chosen, and feel the need to share their awful experience with that resort/restaurant/activity. Don't overplan, leave time for the magic to happen. And when something doesn't go as planned- don't fall into the 'magic was ruined' trap. It is a vacation- how can it be ruined with one event
Thank you, I learnt a long time ago that certain review sites seem to attract people who only want to complain (not mentioning names) although I did get a little worried by a post about someone discover a snake in their room at AoA

I'm hoping to not fall into the overplanning, I would like to have a rough idea of where to spend each day but I'm not the 'touring plan' type of person who has an order for which ride when etc

Old 10-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
newlittleminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56 View Post
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It can be overwhelming but it does not need to be. I read the unofficial Guide but I just pored over this website and asked questions. People will help!
I'm trying to get all my questions in order before I bombard people with them, otherwise i'd be on here every day asking a new question!

Old 10-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
Greenfield1984
DIS Veteran

Get a couple planning books. Read em both through once. Then read em again quickly and take notes. Then plan your trip while consulting the books. The books go in order of your planning so it's easy to stay focused.
October 2011: ASMo with DD4 and DD7months
October 2009: POP with DD2
February 2009: AKL with DD 18mos
April 2007: ASMo HONEYMOON!
December 2005: Off site - Big Family Vacation
August 2000
Summer 1991
Fav rides:Carousel of Progress, Figment, Tower of Terror, Timekeeper (RIP), Nemo Musical
Fav Park: EPCOT
Greenfield1984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
nhtinkerbell
Mouseketeer

sending u all kinds of happy thoughts. remember wether its ur first trip or u r a vetern it's always stressful. just keep telling urself its a vacation and try to relax.

DH DM DS
nhtinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

The trip won't be perfect, but it'll be really, really good. Some of this stuff takes care of itself(like using Disney transport to navigate the property). Don't stress, planning can be one of the best parts of a WDW trip.

Relax, study the boards here at your own pace (don't miss the forum here for UK visitors) and take one thing at a time.

First thing is firm-up your travel dates as that's the single biggest variable.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #13
newlittleminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhtinkerbell
sending u all kinds of happy thoughts. remember wether its ur first trip or u r a vetern it's always stressful. just keep telling urself its a vacation and try to relax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenfield1984
Get a couple planning books. Read em both through once. Then read em again quickly and take notes. Then plan your trip while consulting the books. The books go in order of your planning so it's easy to stay focused.
Thank you I'm definitely going to invest some planning books, although then ill probably stress over which ones are best haha that's just the kind of person I am

Old 10-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #14
newlittleminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micca
The trip won't be perfect, but it'll be really, really good. Some of this stuff takes care of itself(like using Disney transport to navigate the property). Don't stress, planning can be one of the best parts of a WDW trip.

Relax, study the boards here at your own pace (don't miss the forum here for UK visitors) and take one thing at a time.

First thing is firm-up your travel dates as that's the single biggest variable.
I'll make sure to take a trip to the UK forum as I'm sure there's some questions that would be best answered answered by UK visitors :thumbsup: I think we're pretty much decided on dates but won't be booking for a bit until we see how prices change, we're flexible by a few days so that's almost the only worry I don't have haha

Old 10-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #15
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlittleminnie View Post
I'll make sure to take a trip to the UK forum as I'm sure there's some questions that would be best answered answered by UK visitors :thumbsup: I think we're pretty much decided on dates but won't be booking for a bit until we see how prices change, we're flexible by a few days so that's almost the only worry I don't have haha
The main issue with the dates is getting your resort locked-in. I'd book asap, if a deal comes up in the future, you can try re-booking with that rate. Resort availability is one of the few things they actually "run out of" at WDW. Also, once you have your dates really locked-in, you can start keeping an eye out for a reasonable airfare.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first trip, planning, stress

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: