Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
Makes the best Apple Pie on her block!
My driver's license will say "Florida Resident" one day!
I blame Jaws

San Francisco DISer's..I need sublet help!

My DD just received a job offer in San Francisco and would like to sublet a place. Can anyone suggest a reputable agency etc for her to work with? Not going the Sublet.com or Craigslist route, a little too risky in my eyes. She is moving cross-country so a little bit intimidating right now. Thank you for any suggestion you have, she knows she will be in a shoe box with a high price tag, we are after safety, and a legit management or agency~ she will be working in the Financial District, maybe a smidge toward Chinatown area if that helps.

ETA: we are in Chicago, so kinda tricky
Dan's IN to the Hall of Fame!

Last edited by FINFAN; 10-04-2012 at 04:33 PM.
FINFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
I blame Jaws

perhaps someone can help with positive/negatives on using airbnb? I know to avoid the Tenderloin . Also, as far as public transportation - using the Muni, about how long would it take to get from Inner Richmond to the Financial District?iding along Geary? I know I can map it-use trip planner etc, but if ANYONE has any real life info we would greatly appreciate it. She can ony do hotel a/o couch surf for so long.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Subletting isn't very common in California.....just a heads up.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #4
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
I blame Jaws

good to know....thank you.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
jiminy.cricket
Disneyphile Extraordinare

That is so exciting! Sounds like a dream job. I reside in Chicagoland too but my sister moved to San Fran a couple of years ago. I will see what I can find from her. Yes, avoid the Tenderloin, Hunter's Point, or anything in the Southeast. The Mission is an up-and-coming hip area for young people, but it also has its shady areas. I believe Hayes Valley, SOMA, and anything toward the north and northeast (Pacific Heights,Russian Hill, Japantown) are pretty safe places. They tend to be pricier, but my friend found some affordable deals on Airbnb. I don't know about transit times. I'll ask my sister. She actually commutes from the city to the South Bay every day. Hope this helps a bit so far! I'm sure other DISers will chime in with advice!
jiminy.cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
I blame Jaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminy.cricket View Post
That is so exciting! Sounds like a dream job. I reside in Chicagoland too but my sister moved to San Fran a couple of years ago. I will see what I can find from her. Yes, avoid the Tenderloin, Hunter's Point, or anything in the Southeast. The Mission is an up-and-coming hip area for young people, but it also has its shady areas. I believe Hayes Valley, SOMA, and anything toward the north and northeast (Pacific Heights,Russian Hill, Japantown) are pretty safe places. They tend to be pricier, but my friend found some affordable deals on Airbnb. I don't know about transit times. I'll ask my sister. She actually commutes from the city to the South Bay every day. Hope this helps a bit so far! I'm sure other DISers will chime in with advice!
Thank you. What you posted seems right in line with what we are finding. My DS was just accepted into the Spring WDW College program and he starts in January so my head is spinning with all this travel research. My DD has an Alumni friend in Petrero Hill that she was able to contact so I am hoping they can work something out for at least a week, but starting a new job and not knowing where you are going to live seems quite daunting to me. My DD would head as far as Redwood City after a few months if it meant a safe place (that she could turn have room to actually turn around in), and train in to the city...but she does not have a car so for the first few months was hoping to be closer in, until she gets the lay of the land. Right now she has 1, maybe 2 other new hires that are in the same boat(from another company tho)so I *think* they can go to a max of $3600 a month...but that is increasing difficult to find so far. We are hopeful with Airbnb because they are furnished, key for this move the first 90 days or more. We have never been theer so we are REALLY relying on the internet. I booked a hotel in Japantown yesterday, but could only get 10 nights there (cost?$$$$$$$$ ) a LOT of conventions must occur in November. I do have a question for your sister, if she can help...compared to Chicago for the fall/winter months...type of coat? I believe it is warmer in the city than the outer -west areas, but my DD attended college in Saraota so she has that Floridian thin skin now, lol.

eta: if it helps for camparison sake, my DD worked along the Fulton Square Market area in Chiacgo for a bit, and that was pushing it as far as "safe" goes on our scale. That area is also improving, mostly within 6 blocks west of the Kennedy/Randolph area (she was another 6 blocks west) but just for a reference of what we are thinking borders unsafe.

Last edited by FINFAN; 10-08-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
minniecarousel
Chris Isaak fan
I'll take my earthquakes over tornadoes & hurricanes any day!
What's up with ruining corn by "creaming" it?

Sorry that that us close to SF aren't of much help. I'm in the 'burbs east of SF, where a car is a "must". Although, along the BART line in Pleasant Hill there are plenty of apts. and that's a safe area. It sounds like she'd be better off closer to the City to the South.
I'd think that anywhere along the CalTrain line would work. Problem is - there are shady areas in all of those cities. Redwood City is nice, but again I wouldn't know how to direct her away from the not-as-nice areas.

Weather-wise - In SF - layer! It's almost always 50-70 degrees year-round. They get the occasional 80 degree day in the summer, but rarely get much below 50 in the winter.

minniecarousel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
robinb
DIS Veteran

How exciting for you and both your kids!

You may want to rethink using Craigslist. My friend rents out rooms in her home and she always uses CL. It's what everyone uses these days. On thing occurred to me ... if she can find a university area she might be able to rent a room or cheap studio for a while until she gets the lay of the land.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
How exciting for you and both your kids!

You may want to rethink using Craigslist. My friend rents out rooms in her home and she always uses CL. It's what everyone uses these days. On thing occurred to me ... if she can find a university area she might be able to rent a room or cheap studio for a while until she gets the lay of the land.
Police here really recommend against Craigslist for things like that. Although given the number of Craiglist related robberies lately, not sure I'd ever use it.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
mnrose
DIS Veteran

I would suggest looking for executive or corporate rentals. They wouldn't be cheap, but they would all be in safe neighborhoods and come fully furnished. I stayed in one years ago and it was definitely less expensive than a hotel. We rented it for 6 weeks while we were waiting to move into our new home.

Also, I would take a look at what's available on VRBO...while these are mainly for "vacations" you might be able to score a deal on one for that time period. It is not big "tourist" season, and someone might be willing to rent in your price range for a guarantee of booking for a full month or two. I saw some, in a quick look, that would be within shooting range of your desired price range. Again, these would come fully furnished...all you would need is a suitcase and your own toothbrush. Everything else would be provided.

In terms of neighborhoods, I would look at Russian Hill, SOMA (very trendy and hip), Noe Valley (family neighborhood), and even the Mission. All of these would be easy access to the financial district via public transportation. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Richmond or Sunset district...further away and not as "liveable" without a car.

It is also worth looking at neighborhoods that are BART accessible in the East Bay (although I am not as familiar with "safe" neighborhoods), and neighborhoods within walking distance of the ferry in Larkspur (Larkspur Landing....grocery store and all necessities are right there...this is where I rented), which takes you right into the city.

HTH
mnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #11
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
I blame Jaws

Thank you everyone,,,it is getting so rough locating anything! Robin..great minds think alike..I have tried the college and hospital sublet "groups"~ no luck thus far. One place popped on Airbnb today that we are waiting to hear back from. I wish the company was able to be of more assistance, but so far I guess they are looking as well. She thought there were 3 of them to split the rent, but 1 girl found other arrangements so now it is down to 2 which just changed the affordability factor by a lot. DD is getting nervous that she may not be able to make this work...instead fo this being exciting and happy for her it is turning into a nightmare! Corporate rentals are more than she will be getting paid per month...and she was offered a decent salary, but she has to eat (and make her college loan payment) The safety is the biggest thing..I agree, so many sketchy/spotty areas~ just a shame such a beautiful area getting overwhelmed with unsavory stuff. We will keep looking! Keep the info coming, it is all very helpful!

Old 10-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #12
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
I blame Jaws

Just wanted to thank you all and update...my DD decided to head to the Daly City area and rent there for 3 months, giving her time to look at the areas more in depth that she may like to rent from on a yearly basis.She is the kind to live in the more suburban setting and head to the city for the vibe on weekends or hang after work and then head home. So...you know my next question, lol...who can tell me all about Daly City? I know the Colma shopping is nice and she will actually be in the north end of the Daly.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
jiminy.cricket

Howdy,

Great to hear that she's come to a decision! Sorry for my delayed response. I just had a discussion with DS. I gathered a lot of information that I will try to condense.

She highly recommends living in the city, especially as a young person. As she put it, "I don't see why a young person would move here and not live in the city." LOL. I'm a suburbanite myself. I mentioned the cost, but she stated that most areas around the Bay are expensive.

Daly City is less expensive. It is home to large minority populations, so apparently you can find delicious and inexpensive Filipino / cultural cuisine there. However, I'm hearing that everything between San Francisco and Millbrae has a dreary, gritty vibe, and that it is pretty difficult to commute into the city without a car.

If DD is seeking a place that's neighborhood-like and a bit nicer, DS recommends either moving further south into the peninsula like Burlingame (which would make for a longer commute), or staying in a "neighborhoody" part of the city: NOPA, Sunset (large Asian-American population and lots of families), Richmond (these areas are slightly less expensive), Pacific Heights (pricier), Castro.

DS states that the CalTrain can be a pain unless you live near it, so DD could stay in the peninsula near a CalTrain station.

In summary, DS recommends staying either in SF or in the peninsula south of Millbrae near a CalTrain station. Her commute is currently 25 minutes from SF to San Carlos, Redwood City area (Express CalTrain). The longest commute on the CalTrain (SF to Burlingame) would be 40 minutes. Driving, it's 15-20 minutes without traffic, 35-40 minutes with traffic.

I brought up agencies, but DS is not familiar with them and seems to see going through them as a hassle. Interestingly, she recommends Craigslist. Per DS: "That's really just the way to find roommates out here."

Keep in mind, that is just one person's opinion, so you may want to continue gathering data, but I hope this information was at least somewhat helpful to your search!

And congratulations on the College Program! I did it 6 years ago (I'm getting old) and had a magical time!
Old 10-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #14
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
I blame Jaws

thank you jiminy! They are in a complex literally across from the BART so they are lucky with that , but your DS is spot on...once their 3 month lease is up DD would prefer to head to San Carlos or Redwod City. 2 of the 3 are just fine with that commute but 1 is not so sure, so they are hoping after being there they can show him it is under an hour. Pacific Heights would be awesome, but oh yeah, priced right out of it. They may also like the East Bay, but for now were trying to stay closer to s san francisco as they know some friends in Petrero Hill. Inner Richmond is more DD style as well, but she is not crazy about being in the foggier part..so that is where Redwood City is far more appealing. I really appreciate your input, I will be frequenting so please ad any other info whenever you can!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #15
jiminy.cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINFAN View Post
thank you jiminy! They are in a complex literally across from the BART so they are lucky with that , but your DS is spot on...once their 3 month lease is up DD would prefer to head to San Carlos or Redwod City. 2 of the 3 are just fine with that commute but 1 is not so sure, so they are hoping after being there they can show him it is under an hour. Pacific Heights would be awesome, but oh yeah, priced right out of it. They may also like the East Bay, but for now were trying to stay closer to s san francisco as they know some friends in Petrero Hill. Inner Richmond is more DD style as well, but she is not crazy about being in the foggier part..so that is where Redwood City is far more appealing. I really appreciate your input, I will be frequenting so please ad any other info whenever you can!
Sorry; life's been busy over the past month or two! Wanted to follow up and see how things are going. Is she enjoying it over there? My sister actually flew in to O'Hare for Thanksgiving and stayed a week; now she's back in SF. Does your daughter have a preference for the burbs vs. the city? I remember it being so magical.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: