Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
ducky2u
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 35

service dogs

Do they allow service dogs on ships?
ducky2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Favorite Auntie
8 Disney nieces & nephews!
I'm in the loop now!
The real question should be WHEN do they sleep??
The TF's friend
 
Favorite Auntie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Nashua, New Hampshire
Posts: 1,672

Yes, I have seen them. I believe by law they have to.
__________________
First trip....age 3 1976 WDW
Next trip....1/18/14 Disney Fantasy

MANY IN BETWEEN!!!


Favorite Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

Yes...real ones and questionable ones. However, there has been at least one instance of a supposed service dog biting another guest; that dog has been permanently banned from the cruise line.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
n8tivecaligirl
Mouseketeer
 
n8tivecaligirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 214

My sister went on a Hawaii cruise (not dcl) last fall and couldn't bring her dog, remember the ships don't have to follow Ada because they are international based ships. I would call dcl to clarify.
__________________

n8tivecaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
dfriia
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 177

There was a large yellow service dog on Wonder's 14-night cruise to Hawaii this past May.
dfriia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
LWQuestie
I'm the Rocketeer!
 
LWQuestie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,052

DCL not only allows service dogs but is incredibly helpful in advising guests traveling with service animals about the required documentation to travel to the ports on the particular itinerary.

I don't have direct experience with other cruise lines, but I've heard that other lines are much more hands off and expect the cruiser to figure out that part on their own.
__________________


LWQuestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
bahacca
Mouseketeer
 
bahacca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: 15 minutes East of Disneyland
Posts: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tivecaligirl View Post
My sister went on a Hawaii cruise (not dcl) last fall and couldn't bring her dog, remember the ships don't have to follow Ada because they are international based ships. I would call dcl to clarify.
Hawaii has VERY strict laws regarding bringing dogs onto the island. They have to be quarantined before they are allowed on the islands, so this is probably why. Service dogs have to have antibodies tests, proof of rabies vaccine, be microchipped and a bunch of other stuff before they are allowed on the island.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 614

DCL does allow service dogs on the ship. On our most recent cruise, we saw two with handicapped individuals who needed them. The PP is correct about the stricter rules when entering the islands of Hawaii with animals. They do have to be quarantined and their owners have to jump through a bunch of hoops (pun intended!)!
EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
tmclanton
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 301

This from the Civil Rights website, regarding ADA rules on cruises:
QUESTION: HOW IS A SERVICE ANIMAL CARED FOR WHILE ON BOARD A VESSEL?
ANSWER:
* The care of the service animal is the responsibility of its user. The PVO is not responsible for the care or supervision of a service animal.
* The PVO must permit the user to bring a reasonable quantity of food on board for the animal and, in the case of a vessel with overnight accommodations, provide reasonable refrigerator space for the animalís food that requires refrigeration.
* Where a service animal is not permitted to disembark with its user (e.g., because of quarantine restrictions at a foreign port), the regulation provides that the PVO must work with the animalís user to ensure that the animal is properly cared for during the userís absence.
* While the PVO is not responsible for the care or supervision of the animal, the PVO should communicate with the passenger so that the passenger understands his/her responsibility to meet the essential needs of the animal (e.g., food, water, elimination) during the passengerís absence. The PVO should also take additional steps to facilitate the accommodation of the service animal in the userís absence (e.g., placing a sign on a cabin door to tell cleaning personnel not to enter).
__________________
Me DH DS9

2001 & 2002 Offsite
2006 Pop Century
2008 VWL
2008 WL- Mother and Son Christmas Trip
2013 40th Birthday Magic Cruise

tmclanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Carmichael, California
Posts: 17,509

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclanton View Post
This from the Civil Rights website, regarding ADA rules on cruises:
QUESTION: HOW IS A SERVICE ANIMAL CARED FOR WHILE ON BOARD A VESSEL?
ANSWER:
* The care of the service animal is the responsibility of its user. The PVO is not responsible for the care or supervision of a service animal.
* The PVO must permit the user to bring a reasonable quantity of food on board for the animal and, in the case of a vessel with overnight accommodations, provide reasonable refrigerator space for the animalís food that requires refrigeration.
* Where a service animal is not permitted to disembark with its user (e.g., because of quarantine restrictions at a foreign port), the regulation provides that the PVO must work with the animalís user to ensure that the animal is properly cared for during the userís absence.
* While the PVO is not responsible for the care or supervision of the animal, the PVO should communicate with the passenger so that the passenger understands his/her responsibility to meet the essential needs of the animal (e.g., food, water, elimination) during the passengerís absence. The PVO should also take additional steps to facilitate the accommodation of the service animal in the userís absence (e.g., placing a sign on a cabin door to tell cleaning personnel not to enter).
This would only apply to cruises on NCL's Pride of America, the only U.S. Flagged cruise ship and to river boats and the like plying American waters. ADA does not apply to ships not flagged in the U.S. Now, most cruise lines policies do follow ADA, just because it is good business.
__________________
tvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
tmclanton
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 301

This is from the ruling of Spector v. Norwegian. The Supreme court clearly states that all ships that operate out of US ports must comply with ADA law. There is some dispute on the cruise lines obligation to retrofit the older ships to make them ada compliant. However, the use of service dogs on cruise ships operating out of US ports, regardless if they are US flagged or foreign flagged vessels is not in debate. There is nothing that would have to be fit onto a room to make it available to a person with a service dog.

Are all cruise ships that dock at U.S. ports subject to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)? Technically, yes. In a landmark civil rights decision in Spector v. Norwegian Cruise Line, the Supreme Court ruled that the ADA applies to foreign-flagged cruise ships that call on U.S. ports.
__________________
Me DH DS9

2001 & 2002 Offsite
2006 Pop Century
2008 VWL
2008 WL- Mother and Son Christmas Trip
2013 40th Birthday Magic Cruise

tmclanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #12
SoCaOC-Mom
DIS Veteran
 
SoCaOC-Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Clemente
Posts: 1,416

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Yes...real ones and questionable ones. However, there has been at least one instance of a supposed service dog biting another guest; that dog has been permanently banned from the cruise line.
Was it an "assistance dog" ( guild, service or signal dog) or a 'therapy dog'? The differences are huge. Use of a therapy dog is not protected under the ADA.
__________________



Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
SoCaOC-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:05 AM   #13
MickeyEarrings
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Central indiana
Posts: 219

I remember seeing photos someone posted of himself on his verandah with his service dog. They were provided with a plastic kiddie pool lined with sod for the dog to go potty!
MickeyEarrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:40 AM   #14
MickeyEarrings
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Central indiana
Posts: 219

I found the TR with that photo: here's a link-

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2052361
MickeyEarrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:27 AM   #15
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran
 
luv2sleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,700

I wonder how what they do to glean the cabin afterwards for future guests with dog allergies? I hope they do something different to help that. Interesting about the kiddie pool! Guess you'd need a verandah can for all that.
__________________
luv2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.