Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #91
chartle
DIS Veteran

The point of my post was that they track you now there has never been any mention besides this thread that said anything like they were going to track your every move such that if a kid was lost they could key in the kids wristband ID and find them on a map moving around like they do on various TV shows.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #92
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

Humm, this will only be cool of I can load the rfid "key" on to my cellphone. Then all i have to carry is my phone.
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #93
Peanut Giggleface
Embarrassing my children... just another service I provide.

For those who don't want to be tracked around Disney property, just wrap your bracelet in aluminum foil. I guess an empty tuna fish can would work as well, just need some foil to keep it enclosed. LOL just kidding.... Seriously I don't mind Disney tracking my moves around property, it would probably look like a kid scribbling on an etch a sketch anyway, but I don't like the idea of credit card info being tied to the bracelet. That's too risky for my comfort with the technology out there for people to skim that data. So I guess I won't be opting to load my credit card info onto the bracelet. Everything else about this idea is fantastic. I expect this will drastically cut down on wait times to enter the park. Looking forward to finding out more about this and when it will be rolled out.
Peanut Giggleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #94
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthuruscg View Post
Humm, this will only be cool of I can load the rfid "key" on to my cellphone. Then all i have to carry is my phone.
On the Samsung Galaxy SIII commercials when they touch phones to transfer pics or playlists they are using NFC or Near Field Communication basically a really close range RFID that I think is the future of checkouts. So if Disney started using NFC it could replace the wristband.

Note I haven't at all researched this so I could be completely wrong and have no idea what I am talking about.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #95
MikeSF
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
On the Samsung Galaxy SIII commercials when they touch phones to transfer pics or playlists they are using NFC or Near Field Communication basically a really close range RFID that I think is the future of checkouts. So if Disney started using NFC it could replace the wristband.
A NFC would give Disney no benefit over the much longer range RFID (assuming these bracelets don't work in the NF).

Next up, just like the movie Minority Report, simply scan your eyes from afar to know who you are.
MikeSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #96
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSF View Post
1. A NFC would give Disney no benefit over the much longer range RFID (assuming these bracelets don't work in the NF).

2. Next up, just like the movie Minority Report, simply scan your eyes from afar to know who you are.
1. I'm just assuming that NFC is more secure than RFID and also allows other devices to be programmed with the correct code.

2. Or just every time you touch something they do a DNA sequence.

Last edited by chartle; 10-08-2012 at 08:01 AM.
chartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #97
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

two comments...

Personally, i don't mind the idea of an rfid tag that is used for location awareness. For example, you pass the reader at PoC and it sends a message to your phone or to an app on your phone that the wait will be 20min or sends a message that your fast pass is coming up and gives you directions to the ride...I think this is brilliant and since the parks now have WiFi it can be done easily. To use their app you have to log in now and in the current version it uses GPS but in this case it would use physical location via rfid tags. Technically, you could also go into the park the same way. It knows you are at the gate and you just have to identify yourself with either your finger print or a pass code. As cell phones get the ability to transmit short distances (the current generation of Samsung S3 can transmit short distances, a couple inches, to another S3 - Near Field Communication) it could even use an app to tell you phone to "ok" your entrance into the park by sending a signal from the phone to the turnstile. As long as you have your phone on you it would work fine. In this case it would require your rfid and phone to be on your person... People in Europe use their phone for everything including buying items from vending machines. Lastly no reason it has to be a bracelet. It could be a simple sticker on your room card. Usually passive rfid are good for a couple feet. No reason i can't transmit from your wallet, backpack or pocket.

I have no issues with the rfid as long as to access your account a physical input from the owner is required.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #98
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

For all the "I don't like being tracked" people...better throw away your cell phones...your being tracked right NOW!

As far as wristbands go, does anyone here go anywhere besides Disney? I've been to resorts in Canada, Myrtle Beach, Florida and local amusement parks where they give you a wristband (one of those cheap plastic ones) that you have to wear in order to get into the resort/restaurant/water park/wherever. Heck, Legoland had one where you had a wristband when you rented a locker that you had to swipe on a pad to get into the locker. Our local park has a wristband when you rent an innertube, though this didn't have a chip in it. Never once do I think "Oh God..I can't believe I'm being forced to wear a wristband".

Y'all sound way too whiny for me! I think you should stop going to DisneyWorld because of this horrible wristband torture they are subjecting you to, leaving the line in front of me much shorter (and quieter).

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #99
mike the canuck
DIS Veteran

I feel like I'm one of the few that don't really care. I think it's a cool idea.
1990 Offsite (I think?) - 1992 Port Orleans - 1993 Dixie Landings - 1996 All-Star Sports - Nov 1999 Disney Institute - Nov 2001 Offsite (Sheraton Vistana) - June 2006 Grosvenor Resort - Christmas 2007 Regal Sun Resort - Sept 2010 Pop Century - Dec 2012 AOA
mike the canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #100
niffer5150
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the canuck View Post
I feel like I'm one of the few that don't really care. I think it's a cool idea.
I think its an awesome idea too.
I have no notions that I'm so important that Disney is going to track me personally and if you think about it, knowing excact wait times or that an area needs more staff attention is brilliant. My credit cards already have rfid in them so the idea of my info on a bracelet doesn't scare me either. Criminals aren't going to go to crazy lengths when there are much easier, faster, and less visible ways to go about their dishonesty.
niffer5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #101
Disco
Hail Eris!

The bracelets have 2.4GHz radio transmitters in them just like the article said. This means they can be "read" from a distance where standard RFID tags have to be held up next to a reader within inches.
Considering that they're using coin batteries to power them broadcast distance is probably like 10m max. For comparison, home Wi-Fi devices using a power outlet range in the hundreds of feet.
As with any modern wireless device it is pretty safe to assume that they connect with authentication and/or are encrypted.
However, the article states that they use passive RFID as well. The standard close range RFID scanners and conversely, criminals with skimmers, would still work. I feel rather confident that Disney is probably encrypting the data at least or the passive system is just using non critical info. Unfortunately they just have not stated that this is true so it would be nice if they cleared it up.
The range these bracelets transmit is not enough for them to keep active tabs on you in the park. Even if they were it would not be feasible from an IT standpoint to actively track everyone in the park. That is just too much information and most of it is useless.
I'm sure they'll track how many people are in the queues and purchases. You do get a personalized experiences and not to mention more rides in a day.
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #102
ctl
Mouseketeer

Good question about APs

Will your AP info be loaded on the wristband too? The bracelet does look kind of clunky, as long as I can put it in a pocket and not have to wear it all the time. I can just imagine myself sitting at V&A at a very expensive $500 meal with the equivalent of a convict ankle bracelet on my arm! If they load credit card info for charging on the bracelet, could the info be swiped electronically by someone in close proximity?
Old 10-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #103
MikeSF
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
The bracelets have 2.4GHz radio transmitters in them just like the article said. This means they can be "read" from a distance where standard RFID tags have to be held up next to a reader within inches.
Considering that they're using coin batteries to power them broadcast distance is probably like 10m max. For comparison, home Wi-Fi devices using a power outlet range in the hundreds of feet.
How wide are most of the walkways? They probably will simply line the borders with scanners, who knows perhaps allowing multiple scanners to triangulate where you are rather than giving simply 10m location bubble.

Quote:
As with any modern wireless device it is pretty safe to assume that they connect with authentication and/or are encrypted.
However, the article states that they use passive RFID as well. The standard close range RFID scanners and conversely, criminals with skimmers, would still work. I feel rather confident that Disney is probably encrypting the data at least or the passive system is just using non critical info. Unfortunately they just have not stated that this is true so it would be nice if they cleared it up.
Not sure how they do the KTTW cards when you say you can charge with them, but I was under the impression it simply had a "charge" tag when you swipe it, then it used its own internal network to get your CC info to charge with, so there could be know "skimming" of your credit card info as it's not actually on the KTTW card... at least I HOPE that's the way it's done. I doubt the bracelets will be much different, you're not going to have any valuable information stored on them so no worries about them being stolen.
MikeSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #104
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle

Note I haven't at all researched this so I could be completely wrong and have no idea what I am talking about.
Rfid uses the same frequency as wifi, so the Disney program could use wifi to broadcast your location.
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #105
jkpatrick
Mouseketeer

Certain Chase cards have a RFID chip in them already, Chase calls it "blink". Look at your card and if you see what looks like a "sound wave" icon, you have a RFID chip in your credit card.

It works at quite a few supermarkets and fastfood places (Mcdonalds and Jack in the Box are some).

http://money.howstuffworks.com/perso...ent/blink1.htm
jkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: