Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Three cheers for the DL Mickey!

We just came back from a spontaneous trip to DL! We were in LA on business and meeting Richard Sherman and DH decided to surprise me with my first trip to DL. We had an amazing day on Thursday. Your Haunted Mansion is just spectacular, and I loved the Nemo submarine, IASW, Pirates, etc. We hopped over to CA briefly, but found it very bland in comparison, and nothing really interested us there.

Anyway, we hopped back over to DL, and on our way out for the night, Mickey was standing and greeting right in front of the train station on Main Street. We got in line, with maybe 10 families in front of us.

At some point, with maybe 2 families in front of us, Mickey's attendant came out. Usually when this happens at WDW, the character goes backstage. But Mickey made it clear to the attendant that he was going to walk the entire line and take pictures with everyone still waiting. It was a magic moment and really made my day. Three cheers to the CM who made a lot of people happy.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
disneyismyheart247
Living the California and Disney Dream

I'm glad you had fun, but this is the first time I've heard someone not being interested in Cars Land!

Good service from the CM!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
roomthreeseventeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyismyheart247 View Post
I'm glad you had fun, but this is the first time I've heard someone not being interested in Cars Land!

Good service from the CM!
It just wasn't themed very well, and none of the rides held any interest to us. There didn't seem to be anything new about it that we hadn't seen before. Oh, well.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It just wasn't themed very well, and none of the rides held any interest to us. There didn't seem to be anything new about it that we hadn't seen before.
Really!? We've been going to Disney parks since 1979 and think Carsland is probably the best themed and most unique park "lands" Disney has ever created. But, to each his/her own.

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
roomthreeseventeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwrich View Post
Really!? We've been going to Disney parks since 1979 and think Carsland is probably the best themed and most unique park "lands" Disney has ever created. But, to each his/her own.
Yeah, we were just bored. Different strokes, I guess.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
igo4yellin
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
It just wasn't themed very well, and none of the rides held any interest to us. There didn't seem to be anything new about it that we hadn't seen before. Oh, well.
Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the source. To say that "It just wasn't themed very well" is madness. To say that the theming didn't appeal to you, is another thing completely.
igo4yellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
disneyismyheart247
Living the California and Disney Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen

Not themed well? Wow, that's a first. Cars Land is brand spankin' new. No other Disney park has it. I'm honestly shocked.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
roomthreeseventeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by igo4yellin View Post
Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the source. To say that "It just wasn't themed very well" is madness. To say that the theming didn't appeal to you, is another thing completely.
It definitely didn't appeal to us, and I didn't like that you can see other parts of the park from Cars Land.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
Mel522
DIS Veteran

On our last trip, Mickey was coming out to do meet and greet. A little girl, 2 or 3 years old dressed as Tinkerbell, ran up to meet him as soon as he came out. He took the little girl by the hand and together they walked to his meet and greet area (which was only about 20-30 feet away.) It was just about the cutest thing I've ever seen.
Mel522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
MommyLove
The sleep-deprivation is causing low mental bandwidth
Did someone say TURKEY LEG? yum!

What an awesome surprise and I'm glad you had a wonderful time at Disneyland! Great to hear about Mickey too.
April '13 (BWPPI), May '13 (BWPPI), July '13 (Stanford I&S), Oct. '13 (BWPPI), Dec. 29, 2013 - Jan. 4, 2014 (BWPPI), April '14 (HoJo Kids Suite)
MommyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
KZEE965
Earning My Ears

Hi, just read the post about the family who just went to DL and there experience at CA. I sure agree with them about the carsland part. Maybe just an age thing going here with us, we are late 60's. Can't find a thing about that area worth getting excited about. Do love Soaring and the and a few other parts. But DL is so much more magical to us. Maybe if we had small kids it would be different. Just means 2 less people in that area for the rest of the crowds to battle for room.
KZEE965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
AnneUCSB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZEE965 View Post
Hi, just read the post about the family who just went to DL and there experience at CA. I sure agree with them about the carsland part. Maybe just an age thing going here with us, we are late 60's. Can't find a thing about that area worth getting excited about. Do love Soaring and the and a few other parts. But DL is so much more magical to us. Maybe if we had small kids it would be different. Just means 2 less people in that area for the rest of the crowds to battle for room.
I'm a mom of 3 boys (age 2, 5, and 7 years) and honestly none of us are that interested in Carsland. We will check it out when we go mid-November and maybe something will spark our interest but none of us have ever loved that movie or been into all the paraphernalia that goes with it I agree, different strokes for different folks
AnneUCSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #13
chrissiecutie
Once a Princess, Always a Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel522
On our last trip, Mickey was coming out to do meet and greet. A little girl, 2 or 3 years old dressed as Tinkerbell, ran up to meet him as soon as he came out. He took the little girl by the hand and together they walked to his meet and greet area (which was only about 20-30 feet away.) It was just about the cutest thing I've ever seen.
This has happened to DS twice now! Once with Pluto & again with Minnie.

With Pluto, we were in Toontown & Pluto grabbed my then 3 yr old DS hand & danced/hopped/skipped ALL around Toontown before finally stopping to take pics. I was literally running after them snapping pics & it was just the MOST precious memory. From that day on, Pluto has been DS favorite character.

Son's 1st Disneyland Trip 8/14-8/23/2008
DH Got a Job Celebratory Trip 5/29-6/2/2010
Surprise Birthday Trip for DS 2/26-3/5/2011
Halloween Trip 10/1/2012-10/4/2012

25+ Year Disneyland Vet
1st trip in 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2011
chrissiecutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
julieheyer
Crazy for the Mouse!

My dd did get to dance w/ goofy one item. It was early in DCA and no one else was the yet. Back in 2010 .

Past trips: Mar. 2013, Nov 2012, Oct. 2011, Mar. 2009, June 2006... Can't remember before that!
julieheyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: