Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 12:43 AM   #1381
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by becpee View Post
Very true

Also, something evil I've been thinking
What is with all the ECV's at DW and DL?
I highly doubt all the people using them have a genuine need, and while at DW the other week I kept noticing a group of 3 people with a wheelchair, and I think the reason I kept to noticing them was because they were taking it in turns pushing each other around the park
Then tonight while waiting for our table out the front of the restaurant a group of 7 young women on ECV's moved through and I am pretty sure they weren't needing them legitimately.
The young guy doing donuts in the carpark of Epcot probably didn't need the ECV either
Next time we come I'm getting an ECV...it's all the rage
those people you saw were the exact reason i refused to get one with my leg and hobbled around in pain instead
Old 10-08-2012, 12:53 AM   #1382
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecBennett View Post
If not this, what do you think you'd prefer to do instead?
I think i probably should of booked next year to take all the kids to Anzac cove instead and just done a land tour and the dawn service next year instead of the 100 year anniversary we still love the idea but when you compare it to a Disney cruise we are being over charged we are paying $1444.44 a day and they are serving us a bottle of water in the dining room with dinner all other drinks other than an a couple of areas where you can get tea/coffee are charged for and even though they have hired the ship there are still cover charges on some of the restaurants and that is not including your tips for crew etc. I am sure we will enjoy it but i am extremely worried we will be dissapointed and i am thinking of all the other traveling we could do with that money
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 04:28 AM   #1383
miss.potatohead
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by becpee View Post
Very true

Also, something evil I've been thinking
What is with all the ECV's at DW and DL?
I highly doubt all the people using them have a genuine need, and while at DW the other week I kept noticing a group of 3 people with a wheelchair, and I think the reason I kept to noticing them was because they were taking it in turns pushing each other around the park
Then tonight while waiting for our table out the front of the restaurant a group of 7 young women on ECV's moved through and I am pretty sure they weren't needing them legitimately.
The young guy doing donuts in the carpark of Epcot probably didn't need the ECV either
Next time we come I'm getting an ECV...it's all the rage
oh lordy do not mention this off the australian side of the DIS; I brought up a similar observation before I realised how controversial the was and had my head bitten off because 'how do you know they don't need them, there are such things as invisible disabilities' yes - that's true but there are also people who are total idiots!
miss.potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:50 AM   #1384
battymum
DIS Veteran

Yeah we noticed the use of ECV's as well, was particularly annoying on the buses - but I kept telling my kids to think of their grandma who while doesn't have a particular disability, but is "pooh sized" and couldn't walk very far , why can't they enjoy Disney too! (Mind you, she would never get on a plane , so not a problem for her)
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #1385
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMUMOF4 View Post
I think i probably should of booked next year to take all the kids to Anzac cove instead and just done a land tour and the dawn service next year instead of the 100 year anniversary we still love the idea but when you compare it to a Disney cruise we are being over charged we are paying $1444.44 a day and they are serving us a bottle of water in the dining room with dinner all other drinks other than an a couple of areas where you can get tea/coffee are charged for and even though they have hired the ship there are still cover charges on some of the restaurants and that is not including your tips for crew etc. I am sure we will enjoy it but i am extremely worried we will be dissapointed and i am thinking of all the other traveling we could do with that money
Yeah I looked at the prices, holy dooley!

Still it looks like an amazing cruise! Cairo and Luxor by themselves would be amazing, plus add on Turkey, Greece and Italy and it's almost too good to be true!

Do you need to make your own way home from Rome?

Just know, that if you're having trouble getting excited I am extremely jealous!!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:38 AM   #1386
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecBennett View Post
Yeah I looked at the prices, holy dooley!

Still it looks like an amazing cruise! Cairo and Luxor by themselves would be amazing, plus add on Turkey, Greece and Italy and it's almost too good to be true!

Do you need to make your own way home from Rome?

Just know, that if you're having trouble getting excited I am extremely jealous!!
Maybe i need to relook at the places we are going and get excited again lol
Yep you have to pay for your own way home we are planning on doing Europe for a few weeks and then flying over to the USA for 2 weeks on the way home at least we get to do DLP if we dont cancel we are just going to keep saving and decide later if we could cancel and get our money back we would
Old 10-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #1387
becpee
I see sock puppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymum View Post
Yeah we noticed the use of ECV's as well, was particularly annoying on the buses - but I kept telling my kids to think of their grandma who while doesn't have a particular disability, but is "pooh sized" and couldn't walk very far , why can't they enjoy Disney too! (Mind you, she would never get on a plane , so not a problem for her)
I know the 7 young women I saw were trying not to laugh as they went past, and the guy doing the donuts, well, I have nothing to add

Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Sept 2014 DCL Eastern Caribbean, WDW BWV, DL

becpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #1388
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

When we were at dlr and universal orlando we saw quite a few moderately overweight to obese people using the ecvs. As someone who is in the 'obese' category myself, i could understand why these people were in the ecv. I know all about invisible illness and i have a busted knee (which was the size of a melon on this trip) a bad back and so on but personally i relished the opportunity to move my body and get fit and would have died before resorting to an ecv. And boy did i burn some calories. I lost 10kg and 13 cm off my hips in the 3 weeks we were in the usa...

I think the ecvs were designed to be a convenience for those who needed them but have now become a convenience for those who want them.. A kind of segway tour of the parks for those who dont want to walk
Old 10-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #1389
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506 View Post
I think the ecvs were designed to be a convenience for those who needed them but have now become a convenience for those who want them.. A kind of segway tour of the parks for those who dont want to walk

Personally I don't care either way, if you definitely need an ecv to get around, or if you just think you do, whatever, doesn't bother me at all, but the Wall.E comment I read made me lol, and I was disappointed that so many people got so angry about it, because as far as I'm concerned it was a very true and very witty observation.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #1390
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

so last week i went to a recruitment company to register for a job. they had me sit in a room and fill in forms for 2 hours and told me they would put me forward for the next round of opportunities. no interview. no personality test, writing test, math test, personality test, etc. seemed too good to be true.

sent them an email yesterday asking if all the forms were filled in correctly and if they needed more details about references etc. got a reply stating that they had completed ref checks, put my name forward and should be getting back to me later this week.

got a call at 8.15am this morning that went something like this: 'Hi Alicia? How you doing hon? Yeah, just wanted to let you know you start work Monday at 8.15am at XXX location. Congrats!! I'll send you an email with the details. Bye'

omg!!! so in 5 more days i will be officially employed again. I am so, so, so happy.

a. we really need the money. b. i'm going stir crazy with nothing to do. c. this trip next year is now a possibility and i can get excited about it again. d. i can now afford to do xmas and carlo's birthday.

oh, the happiness i am feeling right now. i just did a little boogie dance in my study in my pjs.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #1391
battymum
DIS Veteran

Yay, that $93 can fare was worth it! So happy for you.
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #1392
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

missed you guys

so just hoped back on and straight into the midst of the wheelchair debateits so good to be back

oh and congrats alicia on landing the job
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #1393
Andona
Destroyer of the Aussie Dollar

Alicia, that is fantastic news! Well done

Andona

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
2005: DL - 3/50 states | 2007- UK & Paris | 2008: WDW - 14/50 states| 2009: DL - 18/50 States | 2011 European roadtrip - ANZAC day in France | 2012: USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip! 25/50 states Read my TR|2013 Italy

Dec 2014 Hawaii Here We Come!

Aug 2015 Pacific Northwest Roadtrip finishing up in DL. Yay!
Andona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #1394
Ozdisneydreamin
Earning My Ears

That is brilliant news Alicia, congrats !!!
Ozdisneydreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #1395
miss.potatohead
Mouseketeer

Congrats Alicia!
miss.potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: