Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #16
wdwmaw
planin' next trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtomouselover View Post
I guess we wouldn't necessarily need the meal plan but a TIW card would work too since we would be eating out ALOT (we do have an AP). I guess I prefer the 1 bedroom villa but don't like the price. We are also vegetarians and I get tired of searching out food sometimes although I don't really enjoy cooking. Ack! How will I decide?!
k i

Look into renting DVC points, save a bunch on that. Renting DVC gives you the option to add Dining Plan without the ticket purchase. Done this before and loved the option.

24 trips and plannin' the next 1
wdwmaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #17
nkereina
Wendy Darling

I think that some studio rooms can be smaller than standard rooms, so I'd definitely get a 1 BR if you decide to rent points.

I also agree on the split stay. I think doing a week at an Epcot area resort and a week at an MK area resort like BLT or WL would be ideal. Different atmospheres, different things to do, different food options. We only go for a week long trip at a time, but by the end of that week, I hate Disney food. I'm somewhat of a picky eater and always end up eating the same things and I'm over it by the time we go home. That being said, I also would not want to cook or make things while on vacation either. At the very least, the split stay will give you different eating options that may combat the same foods over and over and also prevent you from having to cook on vacation
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 05:13 AM   #18
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

My longest stay was 17 nights and I stayed in a one bedroom villa. The big benefit to the one bedroom is the in room laundry, so you aren't packing so much for the longer stay.

Most of my stays are 10 nights, and sometimes they are in studio villas and sometimes in regular resort rooms. I do like having a microwave in the room though on the longer stays - not just to make my own food but in case I have any leftovers to warm up.

I prefer to stay in one place, even on the longer trips, because I hate the pack and unpack and feeling like I lose a lot of vacation time doing it. But a lot of people love split stays. I think in your case, with the change in party size, that a split stay would be an excellent idea. You can even stay in two totally different areas of the resort, maybe near MK for part of the stay and near Epcot for the other - something like that.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:45 AM   #19
Nomad70
Mouseketeer

We are new DVC members and will be taking our first Family vacation as members next year. Usually I don't want to bother to have to cook meals while on vacation (or at home really! lol), but since we will have a two bedroom villa with a full kitchen I am going to try and do some pre preparing of at least a couple of our main meals (dinner) and definitely eat breakfast and lunch in the room (kids are not picky, they would live on sandwiches every day). lol We vacation at a slow pass, even at Disney so there isn't a huge rush to get somewhere. We also go in early September (was just there three weeks ago) when crowds are low and we have no problems like missing out on anything we want to do. Now, with all this said, we will see how it pans out. DH thinks it will be easy to do, me, well, it remains to be seen. I have a feeling he may not feel like cooking much either.... lol

New DVC Members as of September 2012!!! WOOHOO!
Nomad70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:35 AM   #20
starrysky
DIS Veteran

We have done a studio at OKW and it is a nice room. Currently we are in a 1 bdr in OKW and it's awesome we not plan on cooking but the extra space is great and DH is already thinking of booking for next year. This is just our first full day LOL

1986 Hilton Downtown Disney, 1992 Offisite Kissimmee, 2006 Offsite (sheraton vistana) 2009 POFQ, 2010 POR, 2011 OKW, 2012 OKW, 2013 POFQ

starrysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #21
jtowntoflorida
Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney Since 2012!

I can't imagine eating out all meals for two weeks. A week long vacation almost does me in, so I'd probably go with the one bedroom and plan on doing some meals in the room. I'm not talking anything huge or complicated, and I'd probably do dinner out every night, but it's nice to have the option to just make a quick lunch of a sandwich and some good fresh fruit that isn't just grapes and cantelope.

We do one bedrooms for our week-long vacations (rent points) and it works well for us. We do breakfast, some snacks, and a couple of lunches in the room. It's not really to save money, it's more just because eating out all the time gets old.
jtowntoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #22
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtomouselover
Hmm, a split stay does sound interesting and I don't know why I didn't think about that. A week in a regular room and then a week in a DVC might be nice. Actually, the second week we might be 4 so 2 of us the first week in a regular room and 4 the second in the DVC. Both the extra room if we go with a 1-BR villa the second week and the option of eating in when we are getting tired of eating out might be ideal. Of course it is the cost that might be the show stopper.

Has anyone slept on the pull out bed in a 1-BR villa? Is it comfortable for adults? I think my child could sleep on anything but me not so much.
for us the space of a villa is more important than eating in or out. We want furniture to sit on, not just beds or hard chairs. But we love the option of a plain home-cooked meal. We'll do grilled cheese, tuna melts, eggs, spaghetti, and boxes of mac and cheese. Frozen Stouffer's lasagna and other frozen type meals are great and easy. We use wegoshop and are very happy with the service.

DH and DS have slept on sofabeds at OKW, BWV, BCV and were fine on all of them. They are queen size so plenty of room.

If you want to stay on more of a budget we HIGHLY recommend a cabin at Fort Wilderness or a Family Suite at ASMu.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #23
MMrules
DIS Veteran

I would suggest the 1BR at AKV-Kidani. They will have 2 bathrooms which would be nice for the extra people. ALso the 1 BR has a washer/dryer so you can do laundry and pack less for 2 weeks. The extra space is wonderful!!! I have DVC and love the option of cooking meals in the room. YOu can order groceries through www.gardengrocer.com which saves tons of money. I have slept on the sofa beds at AKV and it was very comfy. I was only on it for 3 nights and experienced no problems with comfort. HOpe this helps

97-CBR, 98-CBR, 03-BC,04-DCL, 06-CBR, 07-AKL, 09-CBR, 11-WL (solo trip) BCV (1st DVC member trip) AKV, 12-WL, BCV, BWV 13-BWV 14-VWL

MMrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #24
garjanjones
Mouseketeer

Just a note...a studio rented with dvc points will not get you a kitchen. A 1 bedroom will, but it's almost twice the points. If you are ok with a mini-fridge and microwave I would go studio, but it you actually want to cook I you need a one bedroom. In my opinion, I can do most things in the microwave, save the money and do that.
garjanjones is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: