Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #16
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

http://www.gfoverflow.com/ will help you determine if a food is GF.

http://www.gluten.net/find-a-restaurant.aspx will help you find a GF restaurant.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #17
adisneymama
DIS Veteran

I second all the recommendations here. Another thing to be careful of is oats. Not all oats are gf. Also, the Betty Crocker mixes are great, but you will need to alter the recipe instructions if you want them moist. I use milk instead of water, oil instead of butter and add some pudding to the mix. Tastes great! Nice and moist. I actually made cupcakes for a friends birthday party (they are non gf but she wanted my DD to be able to eat). They could not tell the difference.

It does get easier. G/L!
adisneymama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #18
GraysMom
DIS Veteran

Another app for iPhone (maybe others, I'm not sure) is 'Find Me Gluten Free'. You can search restaurants by popular chains, by address, those close by, etc. for ones that offer gluten free options and the menu/list of choices that are GF. It also has a 'dining card' section to show to servers/chefs that clearly states what celiac is, what they cannot eat, and lists items specific to certain cuisines that cannot be consumed (ie Mexican/South American foods listed include flour tortillas , bread, battered foods, fried ice cream, churros, beer). It also contains lists of items by cuisine that celiacs must be cautious about, and items that are "safe". I believe it was free.

DH eats a lot of rice/cinnamon/chocolate/honey nut Chex cereals, for snacks as well as breakfast. Other snacks include nuts, Blue Diamond Nut Thins and Nut Chips, fruits, veggies and dip, cheese curls, tortilla chips, and Crunchmaster crackers. Desserts are tricky because he has a bad reaction to more than tiny amounts of xantham gum, which is added to so many GF baking mixes to add elasticity. I've found some GF brownies that use almond meal that he loves, so I make those for him. I've found a lot of GF recipes on Pinterest, along with a long list of GF baking mixes to make, but I haven't tried many of them yet. A PP mentioned GF burger buns at Red Robin restaurants. Our local RR manager told DH he could call the restaurant 24 hrs in advance and order as many buns as he wanted. When I get more space in the freezer I will order a dozen and just freeze them. The best pasta DH has found is Schar. It's actually made in Italy I believe.

OP, where are you from? Here in PA we have Giant, Weis and Wegmans grocery stores that have dedicated GF sections to shop in (some are bigger than others).
Old 10-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #19
POOH1060
Earning My Ears

Wow you just never know what great information you will get from the disboards. My daughter has Celiac and this info will help her alot. She feels so alone in this. I've been looking for more information to help her. Thanks for great links & info !!
POOH1060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:18 AM   #20
limace
DIS Veteran

My husband can't have gluten, so I've been figuring this out, too. As someone who loves to cook, I highly recommend Gluten Free Girl-she has a blog and a book, is married to a chef, and her writing and recipes are gorgeous.

Nthing Trader Joes and Bob's Red Mill-red mill stuff is much cheaper through amazon than in our local stores. Their pizza mix is great. Most GF bread sucks until it's toasted.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #21
CoP Luv
DIS Veteran

My husband has a different gastro disease and has loved the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle. It shows the science behind what can trigger discomfort with gluten and other types of food.

We also love Grain-Free Gourmet cookbooks and Comfybelly.com for fabulous recipes (try the Jerk Chicken! AMAZING!).

Really, once you get off the processed food train, making food at home that is ok to eat (ie - gluten free, etc) is really not that hard. And it all tastes great!!! I have so many great recipes to share, just PM me.
CoP Luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #22
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

Good luck to your DD!! Lots (I MEAN LOTS!!) of us on here are gluten-free. Feel free to check out my blog (link is in my siggie). Being GF is a yummy and wonderful place to be
SDSorority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #23
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limace View Post
My husband can't have gluten, so I've been figuring this out, too. As someone who loves to cook, I highly recommend Gluten Free Girl-she has a blog and a book, is married to a chef, and her writing and recipes are gorgeous.

Nthing Trader Joes and Bob's Red Mill-red mill stuff is much cheaper through amazon than in our local stores. Their pizza mix is great. Most GF bread sucks until it's toasted.

OP, have your daughter try Udi's Bread/Rolls or Rudi's brand. Both are great toasted or un-toasted. Also, look in your area health-food store for locally made gluten free bread. Or, you can always make your own. I used to make Gluten Free Pantry (by Glutino) bread in my bread machine before I started switching to grain free, but it's fabulous! Of course you'd want to use a new bread machine because of cross-contamination. DD should get her own peanut butter, butter, honey, jelly, etc to prevent wheat-crumby utensils from contaminating it.

SDSorority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #24
jd4nati
Mouseketeer

When I was first diagnosed my doctor me the advice to think of myself as being on a low carb diet (without the sugar restrictions). Most, but not all, low carb dishes are also gluten free. It made my life much easier at the time. Also, as PPs have said, reading labels is key. You wouldn't believe some of the items that have hidden gluten (like airline peanuts).
jd4nati is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: