Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #61
leebee
DIS Veteran

We have never paid for the DDP; we've always stayed at a value resort and upgraded from QSDP to DDP during free dining. The difference in room rate ($30) and the upgrade ($22) per night (so $52 a day total for "free" DDP) was cheaper than what I could feed two of us on per day, and we were able to experience some terrific restaurants that we'd never been to during previous trips. We shared 1cs credit at breakfast and 1cs at lunch, then had a nice sit-down meal at dinner (or did a couple of character b'fasts, so cs for supper). Because we went during free dining, it made sense for us. HOWEVER... if we had to pay for the dining plan, we wouldn't do it. We find Disney portions to be huge, so we are happy sharing meals, and many days don't do a ts meal at all, just cs (especially at Epcot). Also, if we were paying OOP we wouldn't be having dessert with every meal; we just don't eat that way, and especially not at the cs meals, so paying for the DDP wouldn't be cost-effective for us.

The REAL problem with the DDP is that now we WANT to do a ts meal every day, because we really enjoyed the restaurants. Before DDP, Boma and Crystal Palace were our must-do meals; we were happy with cs most of the time. Now? There are SO many places we want to visit again... and again and again and again!

Sure wish I was at Disney right now, maybe sitting down to a wonderful meal at Boma!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #62
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebee View Post
The REAL problem with the DDP is that now we WANT to do a ts meal every day, because we really enjoyed the restaurants. Before DDP, Boma and Crystal Palace were our must-do meals; we were happy with cs most of the time. Now? There are SO many places we want to visit again... and again and again and again!
And that is part of Disney's plan.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #63
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

We're hooked too after getting free dining twice. Disney's plan worked.

I don't know what I will do when Disney outprices me.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #64
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine amj View Post
I don't know what I will do when Disney outprices me.
I think thye 2013 pricing and changes do for many people.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #65
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

I have not read through this entire thread so excuse me if I repeat something that has already been said. We have done the dining plan the last few times we have been to WDW and we find that it is worth every penny. The food prices at Disney are inflated and we have done the math at each meal and have always found that paying for the Dining Plan is less expensive than out of pocket. It is a lot of food also and with the exception of a meal or two, the quality of the food is very good. We plan to purchase the dining plan for our up coming vacation in June.

2012 BECAME DVC MEMBER AT BCV!

michelleiada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #66
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleiada
I have not read through this entire thread so excuse me if I repeat something that has already been said. We have done the dining plan the last few times we have been to WDW and we find that it is worth every penny. The food prices at Disney are inflated and we have done the math at each meal and have always found that paying for the Dining Plan is less expensive than out of pocket. It is a lot of food also and with the exception of a meal or two, the quality of the food is very good. We plan to purchase the dining plan for our up coming vacation in June.
It may be less expensive than out of pocket for the exact same items. But many people wouldn't eat the same things or as much when paying cash.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #67
lostatdisney
Mouseketeer

We booked March 2013 trip yesterday, and I was also debating the dining plan. We've never received free dining and never done the dining plan. But for our family of five - DH, DS20, DS19, and DD17, it would cost us $280 a day, and I just don't see any way that we would spend that much OOP, even with Disney's inflated dining costs.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I checked online for Garden Grill, which is one place we always enjoy eating. It looks to be $39.95 per person. So for five of us, that's roughly $200. We would probably eat at some of the other table service restaurants, but that isn't the focus of our trip, and we're usually very content with counter service.

Also, I know my guys will want to eat at the ESPN restaurant on the boardwalk, and it's not covered in the dining plan. I don't think we'd want to be tied down to having to eat at certain restaurants or feeling that we had to get our money's worth out of the plan.

And none of us are big dessert eaters. Sure, if we're on DCL we'll order a dessert, but I don't normally indulge like that even on vacation.

I can see the benefit of having it all paid for ahead of time, but I'd rather spend the extra on souvineers.

Thanks for everyone's input!
1998 - Disneyland - first Disney trip with kids!
2001 - Disneyland
2004 - Spring Break at WDW - POR
2006 - Spring Break at WDW - WL
2008 - Spring Break at WDW - WL
August 2009 - Cruising on the Disney Magic!
2010 - Spring Break at DLR - GC
2012 - Mother Daughter Cruise on the Dream!
2013 - Spring Break at WDW - BCV
On my first trip to Disneyland when I was just seven years old, I got lost when I ran ahead of my family trying to see Mickey as he led the parade. My parents soon retrieved me from the Lost and Found, but I've never found a place that I would rather be lost than Disney.
lostatdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #68
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c

It may be less expensive than out of pocket for the exact same items. But many people wouldn't eat the same things or as much when paying cash.
I suppose but I guess when on vacation we indulge a little. We always go home a couple pounds heavier.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #69
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

If I might add also, eating at some of the WDW restaurants is part of the whole Disney experience for us. We still enjoy character dining, and eating at many different places. They are all experiences themselves. Love to eat at O'Hana, and at Animal Kingdom Lodge overlooking savannah. Love eating in World Showcase. Everyone has different ideas of what their vacations should be though. Some people don't like taking time away from the parks for dining...understandable!

Old 10-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #70
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

We have used the Dining Plan on all of our past trips with the exception of our very first trip b/c we didn't know about the DP at that time. I'm now planning another trip for next August and we've gone back and forth about the DP this time after seeing how much it will cost us. We are a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 teen DD's, 18 & 14. For a 9 night stay the dining plan next August is coming out to $2001 + change. At first, both DH & I thought that was a litle high and we were pretty sure we could spend less. After going back and forth on it, we finally sat down tonight with the girls and sketched out which restaurants we'd like to go to and looked over menus to see what we would eat, (everyone has their "must-do" restaurant). After doing some addition we quickly surpassed the $2000 mark by over $130 and still hadn't added any snacks and the cost for breakfast items so now we're back to leaning towards the DP again.

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #71
reiella
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
It sounds like you come at it from the opposite end that I do. I look at the meals I have planned, and then see if the plan makes sense. I don't get the plan and then force myself to eat a certain way in order for it to make sense cost wise.

Some trips the plan makes sense and others it doesn't. That is why it is always smart to run the numbers. I can't imagine forcing myself to eat large, expensive meals just to get my moneys worth from the dining plan. Yuck!
Quite, of course, for myself, the realization that Vegetarian = Cheap [except for QS Veggie Burgers actually] for dining costs made it a hard decision for me.

I greatly appreciate prepaying, but we end up paying about 30% more than OOP because of the price difference, so we're going to try sans DDP. Of course, I may relent and add it back to our plan before we arrive.
reiella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #72
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostatdisney View Post
Also, I know my guys will want to eat at the ESPN restaurant on the boardwalk, and it's not covered in the dining plan. I don't think we'd want to be tied down to having to eat at certain restaurants...
While that is a valid concern ESPN Club is on the dining plan. Right now the 2013 brochure is incomplete because 3rd party restaurants aren't added until the end of the contract-renewal season, but it has been on the plan since its inception and most likely will be again (along with most of the other "missing" restaurants). Only one restaurant has stopped accepting the plan in the 7 years it has been offered - Fultons in 2006 - and they returned to it for 2012. And for 2012 a BUNCH of new restaurants signed on, including T-Rex, Rainforest, Paradiso 57, Bistro de Paris, etc. so there are really very few restaurants on property that don't participate these days.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #73
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleiada View Post
We have done the dining plan the last few times we have been to WDW and we find that it is worth every penny. The food prices at Disney are inflated and we have done the math at each meal and have always found that paying for the Dining Plan is less expensive than out of pocket. It is a lot of food .
How about doing it a little different? How about looking at the menus as if the dining plan didn't exist, and ordering exactly what you want? Perhaps ordering an appetizer and not dessert? Do you really want that non-alcoholic drink (vs tap water)? And those desserts? Or splitting one entree and sharing some appetizers. And maybe since you may order less your tip will be less too.

Then compare that way of ordering to the Dining Plan. Then you get a better sense if it is "worth every penny".
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #74
lostatdisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
While that is a valid concern ESPN Club is on the dining plan. Right now the 2013 brochure is incomplete because 3rd party restaurants aren't added until the end of the contract-renewal season, but it has been on the plan since its inception and most likely will be again (along with most of the other "missing" restaurants). Only one restaurant has stopped accepting the plan in the 7 years it has been offered - Fultons in 2006 - and they returned to it for 2012. And for 2012 a BUNCH of new restaurants signed on, including T-Rex, Rainforest, Paradiso 57, Bistro de Paris, etc. so there are really very few restaurants on property that don't participate these days.
That's great information - thanks! The WDW travel representative who booked my trip did not mention that they had ever been on the DP. He just said that they were one of the few that werw not a part of it.
1998 - Disneyland - first Disney trip with kids!
2001 - Disneyland
2004 - Spring Break at WDW - POR
2006 - Spring Break at WDW - WL
2008 - Spring Break at WDW - WL
August 2009 - Cruising on the Disney Magic!
2010 - Spring Break at DLR - GC
2012 - Mother Daughter Cruise on the Dream!
2013 - Spring Break at WDW - BCV
On my first trip to Disneyland when I was just seven years old, I got lost when I ran ahead of my family trying to see Mickey as he led the parade. My parents soon retrieved me from the Lost and Found, but I've never found a place that I would rather be lost than Disney.
lostatdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:43 AM   #75
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Well, we are back!

We decided not to do the dining plan because all of our pre-run numbers came to the conclusion that it was not the right route for us. We also saved every receipt from food (including F&W festival). DH is going to do a spreadsheet now and see if we came out ahead or if the dining plan would have been better. Then next time, we'll know.

We'll keep you posted!

Thanks to everyone who offered their input,
Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: