Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

Disney All-Star Sports or Movies?

I have not stayed at a value resort. Actually we find better prices off property with a military discount. My daughter's cheer competition is at the HP Field House so I figure we would try a value resort. I just reserved All-Star Sports but was also offered Movies. Any difference? Is one better than the other? Is there another resort closer to HP Field House? I did get a military discount which comes out to $106 a night which I thought was more than the prices I use to see quoted for value resorts.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
Good Morning Dewdrop
DIS Veteran

It depends a bit on what you're looking for.

Movies tends to be more popular and often doesn't offer as good a discount as Sports and Music

We've stayed at both once. They both have great theming. Sports can get very loud if there are groups staying there (cheerleader/ band etc) - I'm sure Movies would be loud then too but it seems like they tend to put sporty type groups in Sports. On our trip all was well until the last day / night when the groups arrived then 'oh my' was it loud. Kids cheering/ partying/ smoking all over the place. We all said 'never again' for Sports.

I don't know where the HP field house is - if it's in the Wide World of Sports type area both POP and AoA are closer and are value resorts.

Previous Magical Adventures:
  • AP #3 September 2013 - AS Music; November 2013 - AS Music; January 2014 - AS Music; May 2014 SWW AS Music
    AP #2 January 2013 - AS Music: October 2012 - AS Music; September 2012 - AoA - LM opening day!; April 2012 - AS Sports; January/February 2012 - AS Music
  • AP #1 September 2011 - AS Music; May 2011 - AS Music - D23 Scavenger Hunt - Team "Pixie Dust"!!; February 2011 - AS Music; December 2010 - POFQ; September 2010 - AS Music
  • September 2009 - AS Music & CBR
  • January 2009 - AS Music
  • January 2008 - POP
  • January 2007 - AS Movies
Good Morning Dewdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

That is good info. Yes, the HP Field House is in the World Wide Sports Complex. So maybe I want to change to POP? If it cost the same, I will consider changing.

The husband's criteria is cheap and close! LOL. We are use to loud crowds since daughter is one of the cheerleaders. His first pick was Gaylord Palms as we have stayed there before at like $96 a night with the military discount, but that was before taxes.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

Oh and my daughter is 9, so she isn't running around smoking and being loud. But we have stayed places where the older cheerleaders are loud. We also stay at the beach alot at cheaper hotels with college kids who are loud. So loud doesn't really bother us too much.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
FancyNancy
Princess

I love All Star Sports! Granted I won't stay there when there are cheerleading or dance groups there after my last visit and all the noise but this is the only Disney resort I like to stay at because it is also the smallest and in my opinion out of the values the Surfboard Bay pool is just the most gorgeous thing ever! LOL Honestly I have the budget to stay at moderate or deluxe but just never have wanted to spend the money on them when I am perfectly happy at All Star Sports.

FancyNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids4karen View Post
Oh and my daughter is 9, so she isn't running around smoking and being loud.
Thank you for the laugh!
Old 10-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

we love both resorts! cant go wrong with diver. it depends which theme you like best. I like how small sports resort is, but i also love the theme and pool at movies. id probably pick movies.

btw Pop is my fave value resort.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using DISBoards App

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
hfuellgraf
DisneyMOM

We like movies...more of a DISNEY feel than Sports, no closer to the field house. The same distance. We are going in April and going to try the Art of Animation, but Movies is always a choice!!!
00-All star Movies Buzz; 03-All Star Movies Woody; 04-All star Movies Dalmations; 05 All Star Movies Buzz; 06-All star Sports; 07-CBR; 08-All star Movies- Fantasia;12-All star Movies-Dalmations Planning March-13-All star Movies OR AoA Cars Suite
hfuellgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #9
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

I would pick movies over sports b/c it is more of a Disney themed resort. My dd11 does competition cheer, too, and if sports had a "cheerleading" section we would be staying there!
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:36 AM   #10
smallworldnh
Mouseketeer

We've stayed at Movies twice and have no complaints. This time we were were given a room in Fantasia on the first floor at the end of the building with the pool view and never heard the noise at the pool when in our room! They had fun beach parties every afternoon with hula hoop and dance contests for the kids and movies by the pool at night! Food court had a lot of choices - room was clean and fresh every day! We love Movies!
smallworldnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #11
Joe Jett
Earning My Ears

I stayed at them both and I loved them both however since MOVIES was recently refurbished in 2011...............I would stay there!!
Joe Jett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #12
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

I stayed at Sports in August and enjoyed it, but visiting the other All-Stars, I liked the theming better at Music and Movies. They felt more "Disney" to me. I'm just not a big sports fan, so giant field goal posts and football helmets weren't that exciting for me.

The bus service at Sports was great though - first to pick up, first to drop off. And the buses weren't always shared during my trip, either.

(Exact trip dates a work-in-progress!)
dawnhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #13
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

I've stayed at Movies and Music several times. I finally stayed at Sports this summer. It was our best stay in the AS resorts yet. I'd never thought I'd like the theming all that much, but the resort looked great. We got an unexpected upgrade to a preferred building and had a perfect room. Housekeeper came early every day (no coming back to a messed up bed in the afternoon). The food court was great and never crowded when we used it (late night and lunch). We had awesome bus service. We didn't wait for long at any stop and often the bus was right there. We only shared with the other resorts coming back from DHS midday once. We were never on a crowded bus and never had to stand. So lucky.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #14
redrosesix
DIS Veteran

Sports and Movies are very similar except for the theming, so I'd say go with the one you prefer except that it's so much fun for the kids to get together at the same resort. We have stayed at Pop and although I love the theming there, after staying at the All-Stars, Pop just feels HUGE to me (no way I'd stay there if I couldn't get a preferred room).

We stay at the All-Stars every year for my daughter's baton competition, which is also at WWoS. We always rent a car because the competition bus service is expensive compared to car rental (it would cost us $120 for the weekend plus we'd have to taxi to and from awards at DHS on Sunday night) and wouldn't give us the freedom to return to the resort when she has long breaks. It takes us about 5 minutes to get from the All-Stars to WWoS -- we honestly didn't find any significant difference staying at Pop because walking from the parking lot at WWoS is the longest part of each trip. Wherever you go, it's still going to be faster than if you stayed off-site.

Btw, we only stay at Music because that's where we stayed the first year and my daughter obviously doesn't like change -- I would stay at Movies but the surf pool at Sports is very very cool. But check and re-check your room rates as specials come out -- you may be able to get it lower than $106.

Feb. 2008 All Star Music Feb. 2009 All Star Music Feb. 2010 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2011 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2012 Pop Pop Pop and All Star Music Feb. 2013 AoA, ASMusic and off-site with our team Feb. 2014 ASMusic and Cypress Pointe Resort Feb. 2015 Cypress Pointe Resort, US Cabana Bay and All Stars for Twirlmania
redrosesix is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: