Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #16
wbeem
DIS Veteran

Here's another resource. In my opinion, this one makes is the best foundation course on lighting. You can start without any knowledge at all and then easily understand the concepts in the first 30 minutes. The rest of the DVD builds on what you can do with those foundation concepts.

http://zackarias.com/workshop/onelight-dvd/

The good news is that lighting really isn't hard. It's just that you need to understand how the different variables interact for exposure, and how light modifiers affect the results on your subjects.

The Strobist course is outstanding. The One Light Workshop DVD is like a quick-start guide for those who learn better from video than reading.

There are also videos on the Strobist site. As I haven't seen them, I can't give a recommendation one way or the other. However, I'll say that David Hobby (Strobist) has an outstanding reputation as a lighting instructor.
wbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #17
SarahJN
Mouseketeer

I have the SB-600 that I use with my D7000. Can you move or swivel the flash head on the SB-400? (I'm not positive but I don't think you can.) I'm not a fan of direct flash even when it is diffused so I bounce my flash off of the ceiling or off of a wall or window behind me (not directly behind me but up at an angle.)

Just something to think about before you purchase the SB-400. You may want to move up to another model that has more features.

Here's an example with the flash bounced at a 45 degree angle behind me:

sept7n by 4forSarah, on Flickr

Read my trip reports!

SarahJN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #18
AmongMadPeople
We're all mad here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahJN View Post
I have the SB-600 that I use with my D7000. Can you move or swivel the flash head on the SB-400? (I'm not positive but I don't think you can.) I'm not a fan of direct flash even when it is diffused so I bounce my flash off of the ceiling or off of a wall or window behind me (not directly behind me but up at an angle.)

Just something to think about before you purchase the SB-400. You may want to move up to another model that has more features.
It has very limited movement.

Everyone's input has been helpful. I can understand why I should skip right over the SB400, but the cost difference is pretty substantial in my eyes. There is a big leap in versatility and features between the two options, but the leap in price means it will be relegated to a wish list for now.
AmongMadPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #19
wbeem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmongMadPeople View Post
It has very limited movement.

Everyone's input has been helpful. I can understand why I should skip right over the SB400, but the cost difference is pretty substantial in my eyes. There is a big leap in versatility and features between the two options, but the leap in price means it will be relegated to a wish list for now.
I understand that the expense may be more than you want to take on right now. However, there are low-cost flashes without the Nikon brand that can work for you. Do a Google search for "inexpensive Strobist flash."

Here's one discussion that popped up about a flash for $30.

http://photocamel.com/forum/lighting...than-30-a.html
wbeem is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: