Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
pampam
DIS Veteran

Specific Carbohydrate Diet at WDW

I am on SCD for Crohns Disease, so I thought I'd post for those who use the diet. As you may know it does wonders for Autism and Crohns. I feel great when I'm on it with no symptoms. Over the years I've learned what I can eat in restaurants, etc, but the diet is quite restrictive. Previously, when we've been to WDw I've gone to Publix for my sugar free bacon, eggs, fresh produce etc. to augment my diet. I cook these things in the microwave in the food court. We are going in January for 3 1/2 weeks and eating just a few thing day in and day out will really be tiresome. So, yesterday, I decided to try to bake some of my goodies in the microwave. I modified some recipes to see how they would turn out with limited ingredients, or ingredients that could be easilly obtained when I was down there. I figured I could bring some silicone muffin cups, a silicone bundt pan, and some almond flour with me, and just buy a pound of butter, bananas, honey or what ever I needed to expand my diet. Heres what I discovered.

Coconut cake

2 eggs,
1/3 cup of honey
1 cup water
2 Tbs butter
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup unsweetened coconut

Mix it all together in a margerine tub or whatever you have,
pour into silicone bundt pan
microwave for about 9 minutes depending on the microwave.

I plan on premeasuring the dry ingredients, and packing those, and then adding the butter eggs and honey and water when I bake it.

It turned out not bad, and will be a nice addition to my diet when I'm there.

Banana Muffins

3 cups almond flour
1/2 cup honey
3 eggs
2 mashed bananas
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Mix together
put in silicone muffin cups placed on a dish in a circle.

I put 8 cups in an O on a plate and microwaved for 6 or 7 minutes.

I did this 2 times since the recipe made 16 muffins.

The mixture bubbled over a little, and of course the muffins didn't brown or look like they had been baked, but they tasted pretty good. Don't overcook, or the muffin will be too well done inside.

I must add, the chefs at WDW have been very good. I carry cards which briefly explain what I cannot eat, and some ideas of what I can eat. However, they are not going to create any grain free treats or bread for me, so this is why I will be trying to expand my diet when down there.

If anyone has any ideas or SCD recipes that can be cooked in a microwave in the food court please let us know.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

I don't have many suggestions, but I want to say hats off to you. I am on the SCD for severe reflux, but I have a hard time sticking with it at WDW. I just get more hungry than usual, and I get tired of seeing my family eat all the fun stuff! I always keep Larabars handy for a snack (peanut butter cookie is my favorite), and take fruits and veggies that can be carried around for snacks as well. Best wishes. I think it is so hard to travel on the SCD!
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
pampam
DIS Veteran

Another one for bread

Microwave bread

1 egg
1/3 cup water
1/4 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
green herbs, cheese if you want
1 1/4 cup almond flour

If you add 1/2 tsp vinegar the bread will rise higher

Mix together and put in a bowl or dish with straight sides. I find a 1 lb. margerine tub works great for us.

Microwave for aprox. 2 minutes, depending on how strong the power is on the microwave oven. If desired flip and microwave another few seconds to dry out the bottom. This isn't always necessary.

This makes a small loaf large enough for 2 sandwiches or burgers.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

[

Last edited by Kellykins1218; 12-29-2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: delete comment
Kellykins1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

I like SCD- we're not 100% grain free but love grain free recipes. I make paleo pumpkin bread to take on the airplane for snacks (my blog link has the recipe in it). Any tips on snacks you keep in the room or take to the parks? What have the chefs made for you?
Old 01-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
chefmb
DIS Veteran

Wow!

Just started the SCD for Crohn's on January 1st. Going well, but this is great info to read! Thanks!
chefmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
pampam
DIS Veteran

We are in Disney now. The recipes are working out fantastic. It is helpful if you like chicken because that is what most chefs want to prepare. I have used the microwave bread for toast in the morning, and have given it to the chefs for our hamburgers. We are staying at Pop Century. The chefs here have been fantastic. They have made us mostly stirfries and chicken, but one chef made us fantastic hamburgers. He took our homemade buns, and fashion them into very good hamburgers. Our meal at Kona Café was superb. Chef Julie made us a salad that was better than dessert. I had an empty juice bottle with me, and took the left over salad dressing back to Pop Century. She made it with apple cider vinegar, canola oil, thyme, and honey. I had steak and my daughter had chicken. Even the Hoop de Doo was great, with our meals brought out separately. The ribs they serve to everyone we could have without the sauce. We also had chicken breast, salad, and fresh berries for dessert.

One meal that was particularly nice was in animal kingdom. We talked to the chef at Flametree barbecue, and he made us very nice chicken breast. We had fresh fruit for dessert.

The meal at Teppan Edo, in Japan was not as good. Everything was steamed including my steak. They made no substitutions for the rice or noodles, so it was a small meal with no reduction in price. We ended up buying a child's chicken dinner, in the land building, to share to satisfy our hunger.

The banana muffins have been excellent. We have eaten them for breakfast, and taken them with us to the parks for a snack.

We had breakfast at 1900 Parkfair with Mary Poppins. The meal there was limited but the chef was very accommodating.

We have been here for almost 3 weeks, and all in all our meals have been great.

Last edited by pampam; 02-01-2013 at 08:40 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: