Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #316
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

I'm exhausted. Was in the band room by 9a.m., getting uniforms ready for the truck. Crawled in bed at 2 a.m., long Day!

I got to meet Haunted Mansion Momma in real life! Her school got 7th place and our school got 10th! So proud of the kids. Still irritated with the electronics/volume not working well. It is getting better.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #317
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

yesterday's competition went much better for us than last week's! our band got all 1s (superior, this is the best you can get), even the colorguard!

AND, our feature twirler got best in class danceline/majorettes! that means, out of all the dancelines and majorette groups in our class, our feature twirler was the best! YAY! :

on the downside, a cold front came through, and the competition was on a mountaintop, next to a lake, so we almost froze to death in our t-shirts and jeans. luckily, we had a blanket and 2 fleece pullovers (1 of which went to our DD). DH isn't feeling very well today-i love him dearly for letting DD wear his pullover (he actually went to take a nap earlier, and my DH NEVER naps). a friend of ours wore a t-shirt and cargo shorts, and ended up having to walk about 1/4 of a mile to a dollar general to buy a sweatsuit. i wish we'd done that for DH, but he kept insisting he was fine.

oh, and this competition cost us MUCH less than last week's! last week, we spent $47.00! this weekend's competition only cost us $18!

Last edited by momof1princess; 10-07-2012 at 08:27 PM.
momof1princess is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #318
Duchie
"Answers are the easy part, questions raise the doubt." - J. Buffett

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymo View Post
BOA Conroe/Houston & tough, tough competition tomorrow! - Homecoming game tonight - busy weekend!

The band placed 2nd in a local competition last weekend!

I hope everyone has a great, safe weekend!
I wish I had seen this sooner because we were there this weekend, too. Roasting in the stands during the day and then freezing in the evening after the cold front moved in. But it was so worth it because my DGM got to watch DS march live for the first time. (I wouldn't let her sit with me all day and watch all the bands so she just came out for the finals.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pembo View Post
A picture from our competition show...it's called Out of the Ashes and this is our phoenix. This week he is getting colored tail feathers.

Sorry, don't know how to downsize the picture.
That is amazing! I love this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegrumpy View Post
We got first place. We were all surprised!! They kids did awesome last night.
Congratulations! It's great when all the hard work pays off, isn't it?
Duchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #319
Duchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess View Post
yesterday's competition went much better for us than last week's! our band got all 1s (superior, this is the best you can get), even the colorguard!

AND, our feature twirler got best in class danceline/majorettes! that means, out of all the dancelines and majorette groups in our class, our feature twirler was the best! YAY! :

on the downside, a cold front came through, and the competition was on a mountaintop, next to a lake, so we almost froze to death in our t-shirts and jeans. luckily, we had a blanket and 2 fleece pullovers (1 of which went to our DD). DH isn't feeling very well today-i love him dearly for letting DD wear his pullover (he actually went to take a nap earlier, and my DH NEVER naps). a friend of ours wore a t-shirt and cargo shorts, and ended up having to walk about 1/4 of a mile to a dollar general to buy a sweatsuit. i wish we'd done that for DH, but he kept insisting he was fine.

oh, and this competition cost us MUCH less than last week's! last week, we spent $47.00! this weekend's competition only cost us $18!
Oh wow, now our weather Saturday doesn't seem so bad. It was a beautiful day and while the temp was only in the mid-80s (I think), we were in direct sunlight in the stands and it just seemed HOT. So bad that we went looking for shorts during the lunch break. But by early afternoon the promised cold front finally moved through and by the time finals rolled around it was down in the 60s and windy.

Congratulations on the great scores!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy Belle View Post
I'm exhausted. Was in the band room by 9a.m., getting uniforms ready for the truck. Crawled in bed at 2 a.m., long Day!

I got to meet Haunted Mansion Momma in real life! Her school got 7th place and our school got 10th! So proud of the kids. Still irritated with the electronics/volume not working well. It is getting better.
Our kids had to be at the school at 5:00 AM yesterday and didn't get home until 3:00 AM today. One of the moms posted on FB that she wasn't going to say it was a long day, but about 5 minutes after they got home on Sunday morning her daughter's alarm went off from when she had to get up the day before. Thank goodness there's no school on Monday!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #320
mickeymo
DIS Veteran

The kids did well against some very tough competition but didn't make finals on Saturday - which was a mixed blessing, because the kids could get back for the Homecoming Dance. Good news for the Homecoming Queen who is in the color guard, 1 other band member in the court and one of the King nominees in the front ensemble.

This weekend will be crazier than normal. Game Friday night & another local contest Saturday. Plus, my daughter (who plays t-bone but worked out an arrangement with the director to not march only play in the stands & concert season) has a livestock show for the 2012 Houston Rodeo Calf Scramble winners on Saturday. Checking in her heifer on Friday night and the show on Saturday. We'll be running in between the show arena and contest venue on Saturday to watch her brother (t-bone) and the band.... sigh...
Old 10-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #321
mickeymo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchie View Post
I wish I had seen this sooner because we were there this weekend, too. Roasting in the stands during the day and then freezing in the evening after the cold front moved in. But it was so worth it because my DGM got to watch DS march live for the first time. (I wouldn't let her sit with me all day and watch all the bands so she just came out for the finals.)
Darn, I would have loved to meet you! We had a mid afternoon time slot and it was hot. I hauled equipment, tailing the front ensemble during warm ups and then on and off the field. After we finished, I stayed in the shade against the wall and listened to the bands and the finals announcements. I just couldn't bring myself to go sit in the stands and roast some more. There was a nice, cool breeze where I was sitting.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #322
jen0610
DIS Veteran

The kids got poured upon friday night. They were released after they did a standstill half time show and Senior awards. DD was soaked to the bone. Made her jump into a hot shower. She threw on her camo pink footie pj's and curled up on the sofa with me. She was out like a light.

We ended up 6th out of the 8 bands in our class. Everybody said that they love the show and not sure why it's not getting better scores from the judges. What we are being told, is that they - other parents - like it because it tells a story. There are other shows, that don't make a whole lot of sense.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #323
piperdown
Mouseketeer

Band got 3rd place out of 4 bands in our group, but we got Best Percussion (DD’s section).

Also, they had the highest percussion score of ALL bands in all groups. They were the only ones with visuals, and we heard the crowd “wow” during their primary part.

Our trumpets need some work, and the 2nd movement needs some cleaning. Next competition is Saturday…hoping for improvement.

piperdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #324
hanutedmansionmomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy Belle

So much fun to meet you!!! I need to work on getting our pic on here somehow...

BOA in St. Louis in 2 weeks- anyone going? Would u like to meet a crazy person (me) who will scream and jump up and down and take a pic with u? LOL! What's more exciting; marching band competition or meeting a fellow disser ??!

hanutedmansionmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #325
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen0610 View Post
Everybody said that they love the show and not sure why it's not getting better scores from the judges. What we are being told, is that they - other parents - like it because it tells a story. There are other shows, that don't make a whole lot of sense.
Very common complaint about band shows and DCI. It's because the judges are looking for more technically precise things, rather than entertainment value.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:44 PM   #326
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanutedmansionmomma View Post
So much fun to meet you!!! I need to work on getting our pic on here somehow...

BOA in St. Louis in 2 weeks- anyone going? Would u like to meet a crazy person (me) who will scream and jump up and down and take a pic with u? LOL! What's more exciting; marching band competition or meeting a fellow disser ??!

You are adorable! I hope someone else gets to meet you! I have no idea how to post pictures! We went to St. Louis last year, but not this year!

It was 28F when the kids started rehearsal this morning! Ten were wearing shorts! Silly kids!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #327
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Since we had our Pizza and Pops concert monday night, marching band didn't practice, instead we had a long night last night. Got to watch about the last 1/2 hour. And as is seems to be the normal for us, even with a new director, lets check of the must does before regionals.

Add a pre-show. Last year from the get go, we had a preshow that everybody raved about. Guess we needed to add that back into the show.

Change pages 1 thru 5 and 8 thru 11 of the opener. Still working on GC blocking for pages 3 and 4.

Change pages 16 thru 26 of the ballad. Mostly just the guard.

Change pages 42 thru 49 and 55 thru 60 of the closer. Huge change to the ending of the show.

Oh yea. Having just a castle tower isn't enough. Lets add 6 castle walls. I guess that was a part of the plan from the begining, but they just got them done. The only problem is, where the walls go, it completly blocks out the girls at the end with the 9 foot flag poles. You can see two girls completly, but nothing but the tops of the 6 other flags. Need to figure that blocking out. Lose the walls or move the girls.

And it is amazing how well the kids roll with these changes. If they threw that many changes at me, I don't know if I could get it memorized and clean in 4 days. They learned the changes in the 1st half of practice yeasterday and there weren't a whole lot of oppsies in the night practice.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #328
Duchie

OH NO!!!

DS hasn't been feeling well lately. He went to school yesterday (Monday was a teacher in-service day) because he said he felt OK, but had called me by mid-day to say he was going downhill fast. This morning he asked to stay home, so DH took him to the doctor.

It's walking pneumonia.

Hopefully he will be up to marching Saturday. No game Friday, so that's good. The competition Saturday is a small local one so it's not a "biggie" but would be good practice for him.

So many of the band kids have had this lately that one of the moms suggested we rename it Marching Pneumonia instead.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #329
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

well, our 3rd and final competition of the season is saturday. i'm almost sad that marching season is winding down; i'll miss seeing my mom band friends 2-3 days per week. our football team stinks, we're 1-5, so there's NO way we'll be going to the playoffs.

BUT, our concession stand coordinator came up with great shirts! on the front they say "HB Band Mom" (HB is the abbreviation for our high school) and on the back, they say "pickle rolling, pepper packing, nacho making, concession selling..." HAHAHAHA! i can't wait to get my shirt tomorrow! i'm going to wear it to the football game!

Duchie - praying your son gets well soon!
Old 10-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #330
jen0610
DIS Veteran

What a wierd weekend! Many people were scratching their heads trying to figure out where the scores came from.

ISSMA does not give out number scores at competitions or placement rankings - until state - you just get a gold, silver, or broze rating. Your scores have to fall in certain score range to get your color rating. Why they do it this way...who knows. It's a running joke about how secretive they try and make it all out to be. By the end of practice today, once the directors talk to the kids, everybody will know what the scores were and once you put those in order, you know who placed 1st, 2nd.....

This scoring system we are use to but, the rankings that they handed out at the north regional is what has the fans trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

There were 14 bands in the north regional fighting for the 10 spots to semi-state. Rankings were 7 gold and 7 silver. 7 silver at regions -
When you compair that to the south, which had 16 bands and 14 got a gold rating and only 2 got silver, it makes people - once again - question the judges scores.

There is a history of judges favoring south bands. Prior to 2008, we never had a semi-state. It was always the top 5 bands from the north and south regionals met at state. But beacuse the powers to be within ISSMA - who's headquaters is in a city that is in the south region and many of the people who are a part of the ISSMA governing body have/had kids (some grandkids) that march for schools in the south region - felt that there were too many good southern bands getting the shaft by not getting to state by their being a limit of just 5 from each region getting to go to state.

So in 2008, they created semi-state. With there being a semi-state competition, it now has the top 10 bands from each regional competing for the 10 slots at state. So in that first year, 2008, the bands qualifing for state it was 7 south bands and 3 north bands. Everybody said, told you what they were trying to do. 2009, it was 5 and 5. Ok, last year was a fluke and it'll even itself out back to the way it was. 2010, it was 6/4 and 2011 it was 7/3, with a south lean. Once again, people were pointing out that there is a southern preference in the judging.

Now you throw the judges scores from this past weekend and it's further making people question, how the northern bands are being judged. And it was a northern band only competition. It will be an interesting 2 weeks leading up to semi-state, listening to the discussions of the judging.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: