Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #16
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

I loved the segment, too! I went from couch to (soon to be) two-time marathoner BECAUSE of runDisney. I think they put on amazing races.

I will give an opinion that contrasts a little to the podcast, though. If you're a walker, or a slower runner, you should NOT start in a front corral to try and "gain time" on the sweeper. Starting in a corral with faster runners is dangerous to you and them. You should be honest about your expectations for the race and start with people you are on pace with. If you train according to Jeff Galloway and runDisney's suggestions, in all likelihood you will finish strong.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #17
deekaypee
Mouseketeer
Ah, life in my Disney daydream is good

I listened to the podcast on today's run as I train for the Goofy, after having just run the Tower of Terror 10 Miler. It was interesting to hear other runners' p.o.v. on the race, especially since I've done a few other races.

I used to say, "Why would I run? Runners never look happy until they stop running." But things change. I told my husband I'd go Goofy if it meant I could get a Disney vacation out of the deal. (I'll do almost anything if you dangle a Disney trip in front of my nose.)

So here I am, a few years later. Running, along with Disney, is my sanity. Both make me a happy, healthier, nicer person.

So I think Pete and anyone else should give a runDisney event a try.

Anyone who's thinking about doing a runDisney event is more than welcome on the DISboards WISH forum, esp. the events subforum. You'll find lots of us Disney runners and walkers there for support, questions and friendship.

We're the one with the lime-green shirts that say "DLF>DNF>>DNS" which means Dead Last Finish beats Did Not Finish which greatly trumps Did Not Start. W.I.S.H. gave me the courage to start. It's a great motto; I found it very inspiring when I first started, and it's something I embrace for running and other aspects of my life.... Thanks WISH and the DIS!

WISH also holds informal meets during the race weekends. For instance, we'll have a couple pre- and post-race meets over 2013 WDW Marathon Weekend. Plus, WISH scream-teamers set up our own fueling-cheering stops along the marathon course.

For those tempted to runDisney, I also highly recommend doing a 5K as a first event.
  • First, although they have an official 16 minute-per-mile pace, that's mostly not enforced. It's a good way to set the goal and test out your pace. (I will say that while 16 mpm pace sounds like a slow walk to some people others find it a brisk pace, esp. when first starting out. YMMV.)
  • Second, the runDisney 5Ks offer fun bling, entertainment, and the opportunity to take pictures in the parks.

As a PP said, the Couch-to-5K program is friendly for beginners. So are Jeff Galloway's or John "The Penguin" Bingham's run-walk programs. Both incorporate walking intervals into running; both can be tailored to your interests - for instance, walkers can alternate between slower and faster walking intervals.

Okay, lots of information there. Can you tell I'm excited the Dis Unplugged had this segment, and that Pete is tempted to try a race?

And I wanted to say thanks to Pete, the podcast team (I listen during training) and the DIS. I wouldn't be on the course without your support. I hope to see Pete and other new runDisney athletes on future race courses!
... ................
deekaypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #18
The Running Ann
Mouseketeer

I listened to this segment today on a long run in training for the Wine and Dine Half Marathon next month. I loved it! I think everyone has such inspiring tales - it is one of the things that I most appreciate about Disney events. Walkers and Runners come in all shapes and abilities and I think that Disney's races celebrate those differences well.

I would absolutely encourage Pete, and anyone else who might be tempted, to sign up for a race. No one puts on a better show than Disney and, of course, the organization and execution are impeccable. Pete's statement that the TOT 10-Mile put the seed of participating into his mind reminds me of myself. Years ago, (the now-defunct) Walking magazine had an article about walking a marathon. I kept going back to the story, eventually signed up for a walker-friendly marathon, and finished with a pretty decent time. The thing I remember most from that first race is the national anthem. Not being a natural athlete, I had never had that played at an event where I was a participant!

Eventually, I started running and have been doing it ever since. Although I am still not a great athlete by any stretch of the imagination, I run most days and continue to improve. I am certainly a better athlete "as it relates to me." Also, I enjoy being in the community of my fellow walkers and runners at my local park. I have completed several Disney Halfs and will run with my husband, sister, and niece in the Wine and Dine. My favorite moment of any race is still the national anthem!

Thanks to the Podcast team for all you do and for highlighting the 10-Mile race. I think that my husband and I will be there next year!
The Running Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #19
pjupton
Mouseketeer

I'm another that started running to participate in a RunDisney event. It was before the RunDisney brand name was even created - the Inaugural Expedition Everest Challenge in 2008. I never dreamed I'd be able to run a 5K. After six months of working through the C25K program, I did.

Then I tackled the half marathon distance when Wine & Dine started in 2010. I'm training now for the full marathon in January. I used to only run with music, but now that I'm out for 15, 17, and 20 miles (this past weekend!) I'm listening to Disney podcasts, including the DIS Unplugged.

I'd love to see Pete train for a RunDisney race - start with one of the 5K's maybe? The Jeff Galloway programs are very do-able. I attended one of his running schools earlier this year. I've spent the past few years trying to run straight through without walking but am now fully convinced that a run/walk program is the way for me to go! I actually have had a faster half-marathon with taking regular walk breaks than I have with trying to run without walking at all.

Whatta ya say, Pete?
Beach Club October 2005, POP October 2006, POP October 2007, VWL & BCV Sept/Oct 2008, OKW November 2009, AKV February 2010, Pop/BC/OKW Sept/Oct 2010, BCV Sept/Oct 2011, AKL/BCV June 2012, ASSports Sept 2012, POP Nov 2012, BCV Jan 2013
first DCL trip - Magic Western Caribbean 4/2/11
RunDisney Races - EEC 2008, W&D half marathon 2010, 2011, 2012, ToT 10-miler 2012, WDW full marathon 2013

pjupton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #20
fall08CP
Cheesehead

Recently i was listening back to an old podcast (1-14-09)& Kathy did a 5k review. Pete commented at the 1:21 mark that he'd train and walk it with Kathy the next year. I always wondered what happened and if they ever raced. Now it's time to make good on it Disney races are a blast, but man are they $$!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #21
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball

I admit, I used to glaze over when some of my favorite Disney podcasts started talking about the different Disney runs. BUT, I wanted a program to jump start my weight loss and started the C25K program. Absolutely love it. I am almost through week 5 and hearing this segment made me actually start thinking about running a 5K at Disney.

Thanks for all the hard work.

rlduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #22
DEA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
I loved the segment, too! I went from couch to (soon to be) two-time marathoner BECAUSE of runDisney. I think they put on amazing races.

I will give an opinion that contrasts a little to the podcast, though. If you're a walker, or a slower runner, you should NOT start in a front corral to try and "gain time" on the sweeper. Starting in a corral with faster runners is dangerous to you and them. You should be honest about your expectations for the race and start with people you are on pace with. If you train according to Jeff Galloway and runDisney's suggestions, in all likelihood you will finish strong.
I don't think we (I'm the Eric Anderson on the podcast) said anything about trying to start ahead of your pace in order to give yourself more of a buffer on getting swept, just that you get more of a buffer if you are in one of the earlier corrals. For this race, I know that you had to furnish proof if you had an estimated finish time of under two hours, which would have put you in the A or B corrals. I hope I did not give an impression that people should sneak up front if they were going to be walking, and I certainly was not trying to suggest it.

I know we also talked about how the corral system works and the reasons why it is implemented, including the safety aspects of having similarly-paced runners starting together. Even so, there was a lot of disparity in the starting paces of racers within the corrals, as evidenced by the story of someone getting shoved off to the side of the road by a faster runner early in the race.

DIS Dads Member #432
DEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #23
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEA View Post
I don't think we (I'm the Eric Anderson on the podcast) said anything about trying to start ahead of your pace in order to give yourself more of a buffer on getting swept, just that you get more of a buffer if you are in one of the earlier corrals. For this race, I know that you had to furnish proof if you had an estimated finish time of under two hours, which would have put you in the A or B corrals. I hope I did not give an impression that people should sneak up front if they were going to be walking, and I certainly was not trying to suggest it.

I know we also talked about how the corral system works and the reasons why it is implemented, including the safety aspects of having similarly-paced runners starting together. Even so, there was a lot of disparity in the starting paces of racers within the corrals, as evidenced by the story of someone getting shoved off to the side of the road by a faster runner early in the race.
Eric, you definitely didn't tell anyone to sneak. Just the impression I got was that you were reassuring people they had up to 3 hours for the 10 miler and definitely much longer than 160 minutes. That's not really true.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #24
DEA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
Eric, you definitely didn't tell anyone to sneak. Just the impression I got was that you were reassuring people they had up to 3 hours for the 10 miler and definitely much longer than 160 minutes. That's not really true.
Sorry, yes, I was trying to let people know that unless they were the last person across the starting line, they had more than 160 minutes. Not a lot, maybe, but more. I think I got too wound up with the math.

DIS Dads Member #432
Old 10-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #25
zendisney
The Dis is like potato chips... just one bite and your hooked

10 miler segment

Well done. Preparing for Princess half. Great tips and advice.
Pete, I never was a runner either. I did my first 5k on the pc cruise this summer. I am going to participate in a 5k on November 3rd. It is an amazing feeling. Hope you really consider it.

Carla
zendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #26
lthiesfeld07
Mouseketeer

I participated in the recent Tower of Terror 10 Miler. It was VERY hard! I did finish officially! I walked the majority of it, and there were times that I had to run to stay ahead of the sweepers. I averaged a 16:00 minute mile. I trained, but not as much as I should've. I felt very weak afterwards!
I won't be able to do the TOT next year unless I move to Orlando, but I do plan on doing the Princess Half in 2014.

Can I join Pete's team in spirit? We should share training tips!!
1997- Dixie Landings * 2002- ASMo * Aug 2011- Off-site Jan 2012- CBR * April 2012- OKW *June 2012- ASMu *September 2012- Pop/Kidani *March 2013- ASMu/Kidani *July 2013 AEP- CSR/Contemporary *October 2013- ASMu/Contemporary *December 2013- POR June 2014 Engagement Trip- AKL-Jambo

lthiesfeld07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #27
DEA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthiesfeld07 View Post
I participated in the recent Tower of Terror 10 Miler. It was VERY hard! I did finish officially! I walked the majority of it, and there were times that I had to run to stay ahead of the sweepers. I averaged a 16:00 minute mile. I trained, but not as much as I should've. I felt very weak afterwards!
I won't be able to do the TOT next year unless I move to Orlando, but I do plan on doing the Princess Half in 2014.

Can I join Pete's team in spirit? We should share training tips!!
Great job finishing the race! And it's great that despite how hard you found the race, you want to run a longer distance race.

I wouldn't call it an easy race by any stretch. I know that I along with other people were running slower than anticipated in this race. I was a lot closer to a 12 minute mile pace than I was to the 11 minute mile pace I ran in my last 10K. I was also thinking that Osceola Parkway was less hilly than it actually is. I won't make that mistake again.

DIS Dads Member #432
Old 10-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #28
NitroStitch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEA View Post
Great job finishing the race! And it's great that despite how hard you found the race, you want to run a longer distance race.

I wouldn't call it an easy race by any stretch. I know that I along with other people were running slower than anticipated in this race. I was a lot closer to a 12 minute mile pace than I was to the 11 minute mile pace I ran in my last 10K. I was also thinking that Osceola Parkway was less hilly than it actually is. I won't make that mistake again.
I was about 1 1/2 minutes per mile slower than my usual pace, and everyone around me was talking about how much slower they were for the ToT 10 miler too. I remember thinking on the umpteenth overpass on Osceola Parkway "I don't remember this many overpasses on Disney property altogether!"

I just need to win the lottery in order to have enough time off and money for my Disney fixes. That's all.
NitroStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #29
sanapunk
Kahtkateer
Me number one kite flier!

I've been reading a lot on the wish boards and everyone has the same complaint. Due to the humidity and the hilly/rough course, people were going slower than they'd like. Also a lot of people were getting sick!!

Who's the driver of the kaht that's made for you and me? V-A-R-L-E-Y B-A-W-B!!
sanapunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #30
timmac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanapunk View Post
I've been reading a lot on the wish boards and everyone has the same complaint. Due to the humidity and the hilly/rough course, people were going slower than they'd like. Also a lot of people were getting sick!!
At risk of sounding a touch snarky, it sounds like a lot of people don't run many non-Disney races. Disney races, even with overpasses, are pancake flat. Don't be afraid of hills
timmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: