Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #1576
2disneycruzrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stindall

Exactly. I was looking at a suit when my husband was going with me but it was actually cheaper to book at Port Orleans Riverside which isn't a suit but has 2 queen beds and is a moderate resort!
It's funny because I was going to do that with the queen beds but my daughter really wanted the LM room instead of Tiana at POR for our one post-cruise night.

Wonder 10/14 * Reimagined Magic 12/13 * Swan/Dream/Animation: 12/12 * Beach Club: 1/12 - work * AKL/Dream: 9/11 - my daughter's and nieces' first cruise! * Beach Club/Wonder: 11/08 - work * Beach Club/Wonder: 8/08 - work (I get paid to go?!) * Dolphin/Wonder: 12/05 * RCCL - Jewel inaugural season (Western) 4/05-work * RCCL - Serenade inaugural season (Alaska) 8/04 - work * Swan/Magic: 11/03 Eastern * Dolphin/Wonder 10/02 - our honeymoon * WDW '83
Old 10-08-2012, 12:48 AM   #1577
mkymouse40
Mouseketeer

We just returned from 10 days in a LM room at AoA. The resort is very cute and the room was beautiful, however, I will probably not return to this resort. Those of you that love the Pop will also love this resort, but it is too large and spread out for us. The parking situation was terrible and since we were in the farthest building (#8), the walk to the Food Court was too long. We drove to the Food Court, but we could never find a parking space without circling numerous times, whether it was 7:00 in the morning or 11:30at night. We have a handicap sticker, but that was even worse. They have only about 10 spaces and they were always full.

Additionally, we did not like the Food Court at the AoA. We felt the choices were not as good as at the All Star Resorts and the trash situation was awful. There were never enough cashiers for check-out and, beware, because the check-out stations are dual sided; one cashier rings up both sides. People were very confused and the lines were long.

We're content to stay at the smaller All Star Resorts and will be happy to return for our next visit. Most of you will be very happy with the AoA and we are very glad that we had the opportunity to stay there during Free Dining. Enjoy your visit.

Nancy

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #1578
LisaCM614
Mouseketeer

We are at AoA now. LK suite. We are on building 6 and are deluxe converts! We have had a fine experience in the food court but we have only had pre RD breakfast there. Plenty of clean tables and cashiers. The food quality is just fine!

The underwater music is different underwater. Very cute I was under water a lot yesterday afternoon! Kids kept asking me to listen!

Wifi and cell reception have been perfectly fine. Updating status on FB or checking email have been a breeze! I have an iPhone 4S and Verizon,

Will post more later. But the family suites are exactly that - just what this family with 3 kids needs!

[url=http://www.wwydwdw.com/]
Old 10-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #1579
popcenturylover
Mouseketeer

We stayed in a LMR from 9/23-9/28 then over to POP for 2 nights. Anyway, our stay at AOA was pretty good! There are a few negatives though. On our 1st night our RFID locks weren't working & it took them about 3 hours to figure it out & got issued new KTTW. (got a $50 credit) The walk from the main building is a bit long. (especially if you pay for a preffered room at POP) The bus waits were HORRIBLE! The food court was crowded but manageable. Love the rooms & the pools were never crowded! Overall our stay was pretty good but, unless I stay in a suite next time I will probably stay somewhere else just because of the walk!
Old 10-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #1580
sixkristy6
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcenturylover View Post
We stayed in a LMR from 9/23-9/28 then over to POP for 2 nights. Anyway, our stay at AOA was pretty good! There are a few negatives though. On our 1st night our RFID locks weren't working & it took them about 3 hours to figure it out & got issued new KTTW. (got a $50 credit) The walk from the main building is a bit long. (especially if you pay for a preffered room at POP) The bus waits were HORRIBLE! The food court was crowded but manageable. Love the rooms & the pools were never crowded! Overall our stay was pretty good but, unless I stay in a suite next time I will probably stay somewhere else just because of the walk!
Where were the buses horrible? From the parks to AoA or from AoA to the parks? Was it worse during AM EMH? Was it better first thing in the AM?
Old 10-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #1581
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixkristy6

Where were the buses horrible? From the parks to AoA or from AoA to the parks? Was it worse during AM EMH? Was it better first thing in the AM?
I just think bus service is such a random thing...if your timing is just a little off, you may experience much longer waits, KWIM? We were there 9/22-9/30 and did not experience long waits for bus service. They were pretty crowded, but what do you expect from such a large resort?
Old 10-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #1582
Funfire240
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixkristy6 View Post
We were there the 24th to 29th and didn't have much problem with the buses - I actually thought they were pretty good. The only times we experienced back up and delays were leaving MK at night after wishes - the 24th it took us about 5 buses before we got on and the 26th wasn't much better.

Even with getting to early pre-opening ressies we had good luck.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #1583
LisaCM614
Mouseketeer

We have had great service. Very little wait. Buses come quickly if you miss one just pulling away. But other folks here are not having such luck. Time to get ready for Kona lunch and MNSSHP

[url=http://www.wwydwdw.com/]
Old 10-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #1584
stindall
Congress Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandami View Post
I just think bus service is such a random thing...if your timing is just a little off, you may experience much longer waits, KWIM? We were there 9/22-9/30 and did not experience long waits for bus service. They were pretty crowded, but what do you expect from such a large resort?
This is exactly true for all values! Sometimes they're great and sometimes they're not. They can't be perfect and there are numerous issues as to why there'd be issues. Disney tries it's best and it's a free service for you so there's not much room to complain.

Oh god there's the yeti! - The Trip Report!.

- Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop - Dec. 2009 surprise for dad @ Pop -
Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop
- Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop!- Aug. 2015 DL @ Stanford Inn & Suites -

Old 10-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #1585
TammiDZ
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stindall View Post
This is exactly true for all values! Sometimes they're great and sometimes they're not. They can't be perfect and there are numerous issues as to why there'd be issues. Disney tries it's best and it's a free service for you so there's not much room to complain.

Well said!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #1586
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stindall View Post
You don't pay extra for transportation per ride but it's not free. It's all built into the price of your room and park tickets.

ETA: It's not just the room and tickets. You're paying for transportation with every meal you buy at Disney, every Dole Whip, every souvenir, everything.

Last edited by EpcotBill; 10-08-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #1587
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

I was there a week ago and wanted to chime in about the buses-- I experienced great bus service. Going to the parks, I think part of it is just good timing. Coming back from the parks, especially the MK after Wishes, the lines were long but they had buses coming and loading one right after the other. I found they were much more efficient in this way than some of the mod and deluxe buses.
We were there this past summer with great bus service too but only 1/2 of the resort was open so there was not the demand that they have now.
I just wanted to share a positive experience with the buses and would not want people's opinions on choosing if AoA is the right resort for them on some negative bus experiences. There will be positive and negative experiences for every aspect of each resort.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #1588
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

Just a note about transportation....

It's not just AoA or Pop, it's most of the resorts. We normally stay deluxe and still have the same issues. If it's not standing in a HUGE line to get on a bus, it's riding the bus for 45 min-an hour while your bus stops at 5 different resorts BEFORE taking you to a park. It's just part of being at WDW, and you take the good with the bad. Sometimes you luck out, sometimes you don't
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
Old 10-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #1589
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone! 2 quick questions for anyone~

I'ver heard they have caffine free diet coke in the food court, but do they sell the bottles in the shop for your room? Debating whether to order from Garden Grocer or just buy it in the shop.

Also, we're doing the Keys to the Kingdom tour in MK at 8 or 8:30 when we're there & the parks don't open until 9 and there's no MM that day. Are the buses running that early, or should we just taxi it over?

Thanks!

Old 10-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #1590
stindall
Congress Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpcotBill View Post
You don't pay extra for transportation per ride but it's not free. It's all built into the price of your room and park tickets.

ETA: It's not just the room and tickets. You're paying for transportation with every meal you buy at Disney, every Dole Whip, every souvenir, everything.
yes, I am aware of that. Nothing in life is free BUT you can also choose to rent a car or drive.

Oh god there's the yeti! - The Trip Report!.

- Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop - Dec. 2009 surprise for dad @ Pop -
Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop
- Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop!- Aug. 2015 DL @ Stanford Inn & Suites -

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: