Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #1471
johnsonet
DIS Veteran

k&a&c'smom - your pics are so great. Thank you! Can't wait to show them to DD. We are counting down the days 'til we're back at the Grand!

Add me to the list of those who can't wait to see the villas' decor.

pas30 - congrats on getting SL at AP rate. And hurray for MVMCP. So much fun. We've been only once (2004, I think) and it will be over by the time we arrive this year

KonaKaiTom - just 13 more days Lucky guy!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #1472
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Did I read correctly that the WiFi isn't that good at the GF? I'm going to be "working" for a few days and was only planning on bringing my iPad -- which only does WiFi, I didn't buy the aircard model. It worked really well at POR back in January. Can I get some clarification -- I hate having to "lug" my laptop.

TIA,

Tom
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #1473
Jungle Cruiser
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKaiTom View Post
Did I read correctly that the WiFi isn't that good at the GF? I'm going to be "working" for a few days and was only planning on bringing my iPad -- which only does WiFi, I didn't buy the aircard model. It worked really well at POR back in January. Can I get some clarification -- I hate having to "lug" my laptop.

TIA,

Tom
WDW isn't known for their great free wifi. There are some spots that work better than others. I have an iPad that I bring on vacation and had problems in my room in SL last April. It's your choice, and see what other's say, but this is a known problem at lots of the resorts. It's just frustrating the service isn't more reliable. It may be over at the convention center the service is better, but I have never heard one way or another.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #1474
jojomickey
Mouseketeer

Have a wonderful trip! Have stayed in both and love them both the same!!

Grand Flo 94,95,96,97,98,99,2000,01,02,04,05,06,08,09,10,and soon 2012

BC 2003
Old 10-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #1475
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Cruiser View Post

k&a&c'smom, I owe you a PM. Will send one soon, but the internet at the BC (much like what we found in SL at the GF) was spotty at best! Did anyone post about a crazy lady walking around the lobby a couple of weeks ago, first the lobby at the BC, then the YC looking for a strong internet signal with her iPad? That was me. I LOVE LOVE LOVE WDW, but have to say this free-wifi is a huge let down. My DH would rather have the option of paying $10 a day for the old hook-up!

Sorry to hear you returned to health problems. Don't worry a bit about the PM, you just take good care of yourself.

LOL about wandering around with your iPad. I am sooo with you on the wifi. We had decent luck at YC, but not good enough if you have work to do, in my opinion. GF was tough - couldn't keep a connection on my laptop for more than a few minutes at a time. Just enough to read one message, or type one reply, if we were lucky. DD's laptop wouldn't connect at GF at all, hers is about 4 years old.

This is why I was surprised to hear they did away with the possibility of using wired internet for a fee. Even were the wifi operating well, I would not want to do private business on open wifi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink rules View Post
I hear the wifi at the parks is good...
I got a mental image of Jungle Cruiser wandering the parks with her iPad, mumbling "where's the signal?!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreaming View Post

k&a&c'smom - nice pictures! Never had the pool view from BPK so its nice to see (we've had the TPV and the lagoon view facing the Polynesian). And I've had that view from Conch Key - it's one of my favorites!! I love seeing the monorail across the water. I think I'm actually starting to like the garden view more than the lagoon or theme park view. Seeing the resort grounds really gives a special feeling.
We feel the same way - if we aren't staying club level (and that is becoming less available with a good discount!) we prefer garden view. Love looking at the grounds and other GF buildings, it adds to our stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflygirl35 View Post
Very similar - 4th floor. It was gorgeous!!!! My son got excited every time the monorail would pass by!!
I'll bet! We love that view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBagFanatic View Post
That's what we saw as well in your pics of Boca Chica. So if we request a higher floor we should be ok. But I do love the location of Conch Key though. I think we may have a winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post

hello to all my GF buddies Sugarloaf became available with the AP rate for next month...I am taking my 3 daughters for our 1st MVMCP....alas my HRH (DD8) wants to try Poly CL...so I resisted....I was not an easy feat
I think everyone has misunderstood your post about SL! I take it to mean you saw it available, but resisted the urge to switch from Poly CL for your DD. Right?! I'm sure it was tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonet View Post
k&a&c'smom - your pics are so great. Thank you! Can't wait to show them to DD. We are counting down the days 'til we're back at the Grand!

Add me to the list of those who can't wait to see the villas' decor.

pas30 - congrats on getting SL at AP rate. And hurray for MVMCP. So much fun. We've been only once (2004, I think) and it will be over by the time we arrive this year

Aww, thanks, and you are welcome! Sorry to hear you will miss MVMCP, it is a lot of fun. I think we have been 3 times, but had to give up our December trips due to DD's college schedule. Now that she is out and working, we won't be able to go this year - but maybe next!

Quote:

TIA,

Tom
Only 13 days to go, woohoo!

We had a horrible time with wifi while at the GF, as I posted above, and we were using laptops! I wish I could give you better news, sounds like we aren't the only ones with this issue.

I did not try the wifi in the lobby or at the pool, but we did see several people out at the tables near the pool with their laptops. Possible the connection out there is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojomickey View Post
Have a wonderful trip! Have stayed in both and love them both the same!!

Grand Flo 94,95,96,97,98,99,2000,01,02,04,05,06,08,09,10,and soon 2012

BC 2003
Welcome! I think you mean you love both GF and the BC? If so, I agree - they are wonderful resorts.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 10-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #1476
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
junglecruiser

hello to all my GF buddies Sugarloaf became available with the AP rate for next month...I am taking my 3 daughters for our 1st MVMCP....alas my HRH (DD8) wants to try Poly CL...so I resisted....I was not an easy feat
For how long?!?!......

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 10-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #1477
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
I think everyone has misunderstood your post about SL! I take it to mean you saw it available, but resisted the urge to switch from Poly CL for your DD. Right?! I'm sure it was tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBagFanatic View Post
Hey pas130 You are a funny lady. How exciting for the SL and you and your DD's first MVMCP.
At least it's not only my friends and family I confuse yes k&a&c'smom is correct...I DIDN't change to SL....it killed me not to book it ..... Tell me again why I let the Princesses dicate when I book...OH, they are in charge, I forgot I'm but a monorail stop away.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
For how long?!?!......
I know Candace, my hand wants to dial CRO.....MUST RESIST
Old 10-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #1478
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
At least it's not only my friends and family I confuse yes k&a&c'smom is correct...I DIDN't change to SL....it killed me not to book it ..... Tell me again why I let the Princesses dicate when I book...OH, they are in charge, I forgot I'm but a monorail stop away.....
As I told my now 25 year old nephew many years ago, you might think you are in charge and the one making the decisions, but trust me, some day you will thank me, the girls are ALWAYS in charge -- they just occasionally let you think you actually made a decision on your own.

Tom
Old 10-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #1479
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As I told my now 25 year old nephew many years ago, you might think you are in charge and the one making the decisions, but trust me, some day you will thank me, the girls are ALWAYS in charge -- they just occasionally let you think you actually made a decision on your own.

Tom
So very very true...DD8 (also know affectionately on the DIS as Her Royal Highness) is one of the biggest Grand fans there is...BUT she can't stay there if there is construction...which she has made clear....however if RPC happened to openup....I could probably sway her a bit
Old 10-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #1480
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So very very true...DD8 (also know affectionately on the DIS as Her Royal Highness) is one of the biggest Grand fans there is...BUT she can't stay there if there is construction...which she has made clear....however if RPC happened to openup....I could probably sway her a bit

Lol... 8 going on 18... My Dd9 is Definitely the one in charge!

I can't wait to be back at the Grand after all the construction! if they would close Basin white on me than I would have some serious issues.. lol
Old 10-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #1481
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know if there is Grand Floridian specific clothing for sale and if yes, where? I was surprised when I was at POR that there was nothing specific to POR at Fulton's.

TIA,

Tom
Old 10-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #1482
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflygirl35

Lol... 8 going on 18... My Dd9 is Definitely the one in charge!

I can't wait to be back at the Grand after all the construction! if they would close Basin white on me than I would have some serious issues.. lol
me too....we are coming back in Aug...the new courtyard pool..splash area....perfect..imho

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKaiTom
Does anyone know if there is Grand Floridian specific clothing for sale and if yes, where? I was surprised when I was at POR that there was nothing specific to POR at Fulton's.

TIA,

Tom
There definitely is...when we were at sugarloaf DH was wearing a universal t-shirt. Well a management type fellow was in the lounge chatting with my daughter and mentioned daddy needs a grand Floridian shirt...less than 30 min later.....I remember seeing it in the window of a shop.....the exact one.....I know the expert panelists here can help!!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #1483
CoachBagFanatic
My two Shiba babies :-)

Location: Somewhere between here and there!! Just as long as there is a Coach store in the middle I am happy :) Love the Dropkick Murphys!!

Quote:
And for this very reason is why k&a&c'smom is the creator of this thread and not me. I just went back to read your post again and I understand it now. Yes, you are only one stop a way. Still calls for a the

Whether we have princesses or princes, I think they are the ones who are in charge when it comes to vacation. At least for us anyway. Our DS16 still has a great impact on where we go and what we do.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #1484
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBagFanatic

And for this very reason is why k&a&c'smom is the creator of this thread and not me. I just went back to read your post again and I understand it now. Yes, you are only one stop a way. Still calls for a the

Whether we have princesses or princes, I think they are the ones who are in charge when it comes to vacation. At least for us anyway. Our DS16 still has a great impact on where we go and what we do.
Because we want everyone to love Disney like we do...so I'm willing to sacrifice picking the resort just to give the kiddos their choice...hrh will want to go back home to the grand...she just thinks construction is too loud..she is very sensitive to noise. So she's the boss
Old 10-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #1485
Luvamouse
DIS Veteran

I imagine this might be listed somewhere in this thread, but I don't think I noticed it in the first few pages of description:

I know that the rooms feature varied patterns of spreads, etc. Is it consistent throughout each resort building though? Or is it completely random? We visited my cousin's room in Sago Key on our February trip. Her room's decor was nice, but some of the standard rooms look so much prettier than others. I am requesting Conch Key or Boca Chica for our January Trip and just wondered what it might look like. That is in case they are consistent in a building. Not that my husband (or the rest of our crew either) is looking for overkill frill! lol...

I keep looking at the rehabs and praying that none are behind schedule. It would be so nice to have most of the walls down and the locations back up and running as they expect.

Thanks!!
February 2011--Back to the Poly says the Birthday Girl! Daytona 500 and WDW for DD's 16th B-Day
February 2012- Couldn't resist! Daytona 500 and Contemporary MK View. Scratch that-- Back to the Poly Again!

January 2013... Somebody stop me! DD's 1st Year in College, let's keep our life "normal" and go to WDW! Poly Again? I'd love to try POR... Looks like CR MK View. Nope, now it's GF Lagoon View!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: