Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #16
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

We have wifi at home but we travel to the beach house a lot (3-4 hours in the car) and stream movies. My husband spends 3 hours RT on the train every day doing all kinds of things - work, movies, Youtube, whatever. Because we have unlimited data we've never been particularly mindful of how much we use our phones or whether we're on wifi or not.

I never use navigation (and in fact never turn on locator stuff on the phone) because I have GPS in my car. Is there any reason I would need to use navigation with iPhone?
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #17
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
We have wifi at home but we travel to the beach house a lot (3-4 hours in the car) and stream movies. My husband spends 3 hours RT on the train every day doing all kinds of things - work, movies, Youtube, whatever. Because we have unlimited data we've never been particularly mindful of how much we use our phones or whether we're on wifi or not.

I never use navigation (and in fact never turn on locator stuff on the phone) because I have GPS in my car. Is there any reason I would need to use navigation with iPhone?
navigation technically doesnt have to use data. Its only when u search for store location is when u need it. GPS on iPhone is useful for like walking or if your in a friends car looking for things... but wouldnt suggest using it much since it eats your battery.

I used TomTom Canada when travelling in Canada... May not be super accurate and takes a bit longer to lock ur phone but it works non the less...
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #18
wdwmom2
It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
Hopefully the Disney magic will kick in
my co-workers made me bath in Scope mouth wash
Fractured Prune is like donut Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall08CP View Post
How in the world do you hit 2GB? Do you not have wifi at home?

I lived without wifi last year (home or work) and used my cell data exclusively. I never hit 2GB. Came close once, but I can't imagine hitting it with wifi at home. I wonder if you have things running in the background eating up your data. I don't ever use my phone at work, save for lunch break, but I'd find a hotspot (restaurant/library) if I needed to access anything that badly.

But.. Point is.. I'd take the iphone and monitor my data usage. Unless you don't have wifi at home.
Not sure if you are talking to me, you didn't quote anyone, but I never said I hit 2GB of data a month. I have had a data plan for less than 1 month, so I don't know exactly what my normal usage will be

No, I do not have WiFi at home. But I do use WiFi when I am traveling, if it is available.

And no, nothing is running in the background, I kill everything when I am done. Actually, when I am not using data, I turn it off. I try to be conservative

My DH travels for his job. He uses Google maps ALOT!!! Last month he used over 3GB of data. Other than that, his data usage is minimal.

wdwmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #19
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall08CP View Post
How in the world do you hit 2GB? Do you not have wifi at home?

I lived without wifi last year (home or work) and used my cell data exclusively. I never hit 2GB. Came close once, but I can't imagine hitting it with wifi at home. I wonder if you have things running in the background eating up your data. I don't ever use my phone at work, save for lunch break, but I'd find a hotspot (restaurant/library) if I needed to access anything that badly.
Pretty easy to do. It depends on what apps you use. Audio and Video streaming is very data intensive; ie. watching Netflix or listening to Pandora for extended periods of time.

I run with my phone, specifically RunKeeper and Pandora and pushing 2 GBs is not hard at all with a lot of running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albort
navigation technically doesnt have to use data. Its only when u search for store location is when u need it. GPS on iPhone is useful for like walking or if your in a friends car looking for things... but wouldnt suggest using it much since it eats your battery.
Navigation maps for both iPhone and Android devices (at least the integrated/base systems) are not stored on the device, they are downloaded on the fly as you are driving, which can increase data usage a lot, which is why when you are entering areas with bad 3G, the mapping can end/stop. Try using navigation with data turned off, you won't get any maps.

There are navigation applications that you can install maps for, but they tend to be more limited in POI and if you travel outside the map zone, you're stuck. I've used these on my phone when traveling to Canada where I don't like to use data because of the cost.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #20
Albort
ODV Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewisinsyr View Post
Pretty easy to do. It depends on what apps you use. Audio and Video streaming is very data intensive; ie. watching Netflix or listening to Pandora for extended periods of time.

I run with my phone, specifically RunKeeper and Pandora and pushing 2 GBs is not hard at all with a lot of running.

Navigation maps for both iPhone and Android devices (at least the integrated/base systems) are not stored on the device, they are downloaded on the fly as you are driving, which can increase data usage a lot, which is why when you are entering areas with bad 3G, the mapping can end/stop. Try using navigation with data turned off, you won't get any maps.

There are navigation applications that you can install maps for, but they tend to be more limited in POI and if you travel outside the map zone, you're stuck. I've used these on my phone when traveling to Canada where I don't like to use data because of the cost.
yeah, google maps and apple maps, yes it requires data... i was speaking for like TomTom, but yeah. TomTom uses google to look up addresses and i know that requires apps... i totally forgot about google maps/apple maps...
Old 10-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #21
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

I will use about 4gb per month.
Stay with your unlimited data. Things are going to get interesting a the fcc investigates Verizon's abuse of the public spectrum.
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #22
Albort
ODV Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthuruscg View Post
I will use about 4gb per month.
Stay with your unlimited data. Things are going to get interesting a the fcc investigates Verizon's abuse of the public spectrum.
honestly, i think its fair to put on a cap. I would rather have cap internet than to have a slow internet...

what i find unfair is having to pay an additional $30 to share my data with my other devices. I pay for a cap line of 2GB, i should be allow to use it with anything else...

its weird that Verizon been getting beat up for everything and not att. Hence why Verizon iPhone 5 are unlocked...
Old 10-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #23
sookie
DIS Veteran

I'm irritated because I remember how they used to get you on minutes or texts. Especially with teens.

Now they want to give you unlimited minutes and texts, but get you on data.

I just switched us over to an unlimited text and minute plan, but we will share a data package between 3 iPhones.

We will see how it goes. We had two unlimited packages, but we did not use a lot of data anyway - way under what I purchased for this package. Plus, what I read on the internet (and had friends telling me) was what people on unlimited packages with ATT (our provider) were getting throttled at 5 gig, so getting a data package wasn't going to make a difference anyway.
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:52 AM   #24
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I should have mentioned that - I use 1.5 to 2.5 G a month. My husband is right around 3 a month. Thanks for all the input!
Based on this, I would keep the same phones/plans. If I'm reading their plan right, your cost would be $160 before taxes/fees for two phones. That's based on two smart phones ($40 each per month) and 6GB of shared data ($80/month). Even going down to 4GB per month only saves you $10.

So, compare the $160 (probably closer to $180 with taxes/etc) with what you're paying now.

That's what I'D do.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:18 AM   #25
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Here is my perspective....

Do not give up "unlimited data" unless they pry it out of your cold dead hand.

Think of it this way, you know how your cable bill goes up, the same will be true for your "data bill" eventually. Now that we are making the leap to all wireless, more devices, etc...means data cost more, which makes our bill go up.

"Smart TV's" are soon going to be sitting in your living room and then on from there.....who knows what is next.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #26
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

You can play Scrabble on an Android device (and Words with Friends).

And if you convert your songs from iTunes to Google Play Music, you can listen to it anywhere without syncing.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #27
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

I hate Google Play. I only want to use iTunes. That's a dealbreaker.

So I may just pay full price for the phones and keep the unlimited. Thanks all!
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #28
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Have you used Google Play? I know it is new. What do you hate about it? Inquiring minds what to know.

I have an ITUNES account and all my stuff on there too. I am still deciding on whether to upgrade phones with Apple or Google. I don't know.....
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #29
Shyvioletisme
So I have a doppleganger running around out there with a kid

Personally, having had unlimited data for a long time...I could never give it up. But if you and your husband genuine don't use that much data, you might not have a problem switching to a limited data plan.

WDW: last trip:
Oct/Nov 2005 CBR for Honeymoon
FLICKR: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67045761@N00/
Shyvioletisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #30
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

Quote:

You can still use your Itunes and use Doubletwist to sync your collection (even playlists) with any Android device.

Doubletwist comes in 2 flavors, wired is free and wifi is $5.

http://doubletwist.com/

Welcome to the open eco system.
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: