Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #211
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

It sounds amazing. And your love for the place is obvious in your post. I definitely want to get there one day. We've never been to Maui but have done the Grand Canyon. My favorite spots on earth are all in the Desert Southwest. But the Grand Canyon doesn't make the top 3, or maybe even 5. My favorite is probably the back way into Arches National Park, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands. I just have a thing for red rocks. SO otherworldly.

And yes....... you NEED a wide angle lens. I think your camera might go on strike if you try to enter Yosemite without one.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #212
NateNLogansDad
Still Wish'n

Well, I FINALLY got a few minutes to sit and finish your report and I can honestly say that I have that feeling you get when you get home from a week long trip Funny part is, Pirates of The Caribbean just happened to be on TV while I was reading Your photographs are amazing and your talent really shines through them There were plenty of shots where I was just like "WOW" Very very nice.

I know I said it before, but I really want to get a few hrs to start the report all over from the beginning again for some inspiration. Our next trip is coming up so fast and I have NOTHING planned. Life just keeps getting busier and busier lately

Hey, while I have your ear, would you mind sharing some focusing tips?

This is always a shot I try to nail, but it's too dark to focus on. I've tried to manual focus but just can't seem to get it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34900754@N08/6866452867

I'll leave ya with that. When I go back through from the beginning, I'm sure I'll ask about 100 more tips.

Thank you so much for sharing your trip with all of us It's been so much fun and Sunshine is do darn cute. I really wish there was a few more days to read about If you ever do another TR, I hope you come back here and post about it, I promise I'll show up!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #213
NLD
DIS Veteran

Hey Rob, just commented on your TR too! Can't wait to read your next one!

As for focusing... hmmmm. No deep dark secrets. I don't even try to manually focus, these are all letting the camera do the work. I do look for places with good contrast between light and dark for the camera to grab onto, that helps. Just put the chosen focus point over something contrasty.

Trip reports

Driving through the Desert: Our Utah and Arizona Trip

Breaking All the Rules! Pirates, Pixie Dust, and Pictures... a January 2012 WDW Trip Report

First family trip: September 2009 POR
Sisters trip: September 2010 AKL
MNSSHP only: October 27, 2011
Birthday trip for daughter: January 2012 WL

The Disboards Photography Forum
Old 07-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #214
NLD
DIS Veteran

mom2rtk....

Can you come over and tell my dh that the national parks REQUIRE an ultrawide? Tell him the camera will explode in my face if it doesn't have one on it.

Oh, as for Topaz.... I'll stick some examples of the magic of Topaz here.

Here's one posted earlier in this TR (rather traditional editing in Lightroom), compared with the same image with some Topaz editing applied. Should give you an idea of what can be done:

20120202-DSC_0985 by nicole_lynn_, on Flickr

Wilderness Glow- by nicole_lynn_, on Flickr

Trip reports

Breaking All the Rules! Pirates, Pixie Dust, and Pictures... a January 2012 WDW Trip Report

Old 07-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #215
NLD
DIS Veteran

Here's another comparison for you...

SelectedFlorida2010-557 by nicole_lynn_, on Flickr

Silent Spaceship Earth-2 by nicole_lynn_, on Flickr

...Basically the HDR look without having to take multiple exposures.

But there are a number of other things you can do with Topaz Adjust even if you don't want the HDR look. There are quite a number of useful presets for drawing out detail, changing the color tones....

Trip reports

Old 07-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #216
NLD
DIS Veteran

Here's one less over the top... the main use here was with the detail, just to get the castle crystal clear. It was a little softer in the original image.

Last Look Down Main Street-3 by nicole_lynn_, on Flickr

And here's one I threw a ton of stuff at... don't have a SOOC image or even a Lightroom-only image on flickr, but... it was a total THROW AWAY pre-Topaz. I had kept it since taking it, because I knew the idea was good and the composition was right, and figured the dynamic range could be accounted for in editing with the right tools. Sure enough...

Magic Hat_- by nicole_lynn_, on Flickr

Okay anyway, hopefully that gives an idea! I'm headed out to swim with Sunshine! Have a lovely hot summer weekend!

Trip reports

Old 07-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #217
NateNLogansDad
Still Wish'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLD View Post
Hey Rob, just commented on your TR too! Can't wait to read your next one!

As for focusing... hmmmm. No deep dark secrets. I don't even try to manually focus, these are all letting the camera do the work. I do look for places with good contrast between light and dark for the camera to grab onto, that helps. Just put the chosen focus point over something contrasty.
Thinking back, I may have had problems because of the lens I was trying to use since it's a standard slow 18-250 Sigma lens. I'm wondering if my new Nikon 30mm 1.8 might help if I open it up all the way. I've had the 50mm but really don't like it on some of the dark rides because it's just too tight. I saw you were using the 50mm which with the crop factor, might give me just about the same image through my viewfinder I don't know why, but out of all the scene's in POTC that's the one shot I REALLY want!
Old 07-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #218
NLD
DIS Veteran

It might have been the lens...

I will say this. I've got an old 80-200 2.8. It's a lens that sometimes gets complaints from people about being slow to focus. On the D700, the focus is pretty fast. Enough for my purposes. But there was very noticeable difference when I put it on my dad's D90. It was measurably slow. Way too slow. I was shooting at a friend's wedding and swapping lenses back and forth between the two bodies, so same lighting conditions, and it actually surprised me how MUCH of a difference. Screwed me over on some shots coming down the aisle. Other lenses did fine on the D90. So some lenses are just slower to focus than others.

Also, yes, you really really do want something with a wide aperture. A nice 1.4 or 1.8 prime. Absolutely.

As for focal lengths:

50mm on the full frame is like 35mm on a crop. So for your purposes... your new 30mm should be good. Which one did you get? People on the disboards gush about the Sigma 30mm. I've never had it so can't comment from experience. I did have the Nikon 35 1.8 and loved it. Tack sharp, good contrast. And it's CHEAP. $200.

Here's a sample taken back in 2009.... This was inside CRT, window light, no flash... on a D60:

With Snow White by nicole_lynn_, on Flickr

Trip reports

Last edited by NLD; 07-07-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #219
NateNLogansDad
Still Wish'n

I have the Nikon 30mm 1.8 (also have the 50mm ) and really love how sharp it is. The Sigma is nice (and it's a 1.4) but I just couldn't justify spending the extra $250 with the amt I actually use it. I wish I had it in October but I'm going to be using it a lot for this trip That Snow White picture really came out nice! I think it's time for me to start practicing!!! We have a Knobels trip coming up on Friday....I'm thinking it might be a good time to wipe the Nikon off!

B/T/W Sunshine is seriously too cute. Her pictures should be hand delivered to the Board Members at Disney for an exchange of Family Lifetime Passes. She could be the new face of DisneyParks on Youtube!
Old 07-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #220
NLD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateNLogansDad View Post
I have the Nikon 30mm 1.8 (also have the 50mm ) and really love how sharp it is. The Sigma is nice (and it's a 1.4) but I just couldn't justify spending the extra $250 with the amt I actually use it. I wish I had it in October but I'm going to be using it a lot for this trip That Snow White picture really came out nice! I think it's time for me to start practicing!!! We have a Knobels trip coming up on Friday....I'm thinking it might be a good time to wipe the Nikon off!

B/T/W Sunshine is seriously too cute. Her pictures should be hand delivered to the Board Members at Disney for an exchange of Family Lifetime Passes. She could be the new face of DisneyParks on Youtube!
Hey it's Tuesday.... did that new prime get any use at Knoebels?

Trip reports

Old 07-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #221
NateNLogansDad
Still Wish'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLD View Post
Hey it's Tuesday.... did that new prime get any use at Knoebels?

Sorry, I meant this Friday coming up
Old 10-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #222
Breagh
Earning My Ears

I just finished reading your TR. It sounds like you all had a fantastic trip! I'm going for my first time in August 2013, at age 21, with a few good friends. I can't wait to get there and hopefully our trip will be as fun as yours!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #223
NLD
DIS Veteran

Have a great time on your trip, Breagh! Sounds like it will be a wonderful first trip. Do you know where you're staying yet?

Trip reports

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: