Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
kellia
DIS Veteran

Help- at home hair coloring

I would think that on the budget board there are lots of people who color their hair at home! I just started coloring my hair a couple of months ago to cover up the white hairs that have started appearing. My hair is dark auburn and every time I do my hair it turns out so red that I think I look like Bozo the clown! I like the color it fades to after a couple of weeks, just about the time I need to fix my roots.

Is there any way I can "tone down" the red after I do my hair? Without taking the color out of the white hairs I want to cover up? Or, should I leave it on a shorter time?

Thanks for any tips!
kellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

It may have more to do with the color you are choosing. You need to steer clear of the warms and go with the neutrals or cools. I choose the color with a N or NB or CB on the box. (Neutral or Cool Brown).

John Freida makes a nice foam color that has a pretty decent N color, a different number depending on the shade. I use the 5N, but if your hair is darker you may want the 4N or 3N.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
DawnM
Dawn

What are you using? I like L'Oreal and steer clear of the bright reds. I have medium auburn hair, but tend to stick to the lighter auburns because the grey isn't as pronounced as it grows back in.

I like the boxes with the highlighting kits in them.....the highlights can help tone down the brightness, although for most of the ones I use it hasn't been an issue.

This is one of the ones I have used and liked:

http://www.drugstore.com/loreal-coul...2?catid=183846

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
tinkmom2
DIS Veteran

I love Wella hair color from Sally Beauty Supply. It's not that much harder to do than the boxed Loreal. I have gray around my temples and hair line and I like the richness of their colors. I can also color twice from one bottle of color which is very cost effective. They are online or you can visit them in the store and a rep will help you find the best color.

Private Meeting with Donald and Friends DCL http://youtu.be/UISHRa8lScM
BBB The Reveal http://youtu.be/AOjMTF9YBtk
tinkmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
pooh4evr
Mouseketeer
In STL we drink soda and eat barbecue, use realators, eat sherbert, and drive on rout farty far

maybe try a box of No Brass- it takes the brassy look out of colored hair?
Old 10-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
melwill530
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnM View Post
What are you using? I like L'Oreal and steer clear of the bright reds. I have medium auburn hair, but tend to stick to the lighter auburns because the grey isn't as pronounced as it grows back in.

I like the boxes with the highlighting kits in them.....the highlights can help tone down the brightness, although for most of the ones I use it hasn't been an issue.

This is one of the ones I have used and liked:

http://www.drugstore.com/loreal-coul...2?catid=183846
This is exactly what I use and I get compliments from my stylist wanting to know who colors my hair. I just told her I do. I costs a lot less than the salon and lasts longer too.
melwill530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
mdsouth
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by melwill530 View Post

This is exactly what I use and I get compliments from my stylist wanting to know who colors my hair. I just told her I do. I costs a lot less than the salon and lasts longer too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkmom2 View Post
I love Wella hair color from Sally Beauty Supply. It's not that much harder to do than the boxed Loreal. I have gray around my temples and hair line and I like the richness of their colors. I can also color twice from one bottle of color which is very cost effective. They are online or you can visit them in the store and a rep will help you find the best color.
I've wondered if this was a good product. Thanks to the two positive reviews I will try it the next time I color my hair

Feb 9-16, 2014 - PORFQ with S/P/D offer
Summer 2009 - CSR
May 2005 - CBR

I must be completely insane or not! June/July 2009 TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2159070
mdsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
Sagginit
DIS Veteran

i just started getting my hair done at home. i cheated, my mother went to beauty school and can mix color. my stylist was moving salons and she didn't know where she was going so she gave my mother the formula. my hair is an auburn color, barely red, light brunette mix. we were both shocked to find out all three colors she was using were blonde shades! she was mixing a blonde, a brunette blond, and a red blonde to get my light brunette/auburn color.

i never would have picked that out from a box myself, i totally would have stayed in the brunette range and ended up too dark. in fact the first time i had my hair died she was trying to keep it as close to natural and the color she mixed for me based on my light brunette shade turned out almost chocolate on me! you may want to try an auburn shade that looks a bit more brunette if you don't want it so bright red.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
kellia
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the replies! Maybe I have been choosing the wrong colors. I admit I have no idea what I'm doing! I have been using Garnier.

For the Loreal one with highlights, do you highlight at the same time you color? Can you do the highlight part yourself or do you need an extra set of hands? (I have shoulder length hair.)
kellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #10
girli565
A Miami kind of girl

I just started using esalon.com. they even ask you to send a picture of your current color so their experts can make sure you're getting the right color.
girli565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
ceecee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellia View Post
Thanks for the replies! Maybe I have been choosing the wrong colors. I admit I have no idea what I'm doing! I have been using Garnier.

For the Loreal one with highlights, do you highlight at the same time you color? Can you do the highlight part yourself or do you need an extra set of hands? (I have shoulder length hair.)
I use Garnier and I really like it. Maybe you are choosing the wrong color. They stopped making the color I liked and the last two haven't been right.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #12
Shana Rayce
Mouseketeer

Awesome Red!
I have been coloring my own hair for many years... and if you're looking for a darker...richer red... I've found the perfection combination of 2 different colors from Sally's Beauty Supply.... 5IR and 6IR... the brand is Clairol..... I get compliments on the color often! Give it a try!

Mom Logan Lindsay Katelyn Princess Gianna Pirate Carson
Shana Rayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #13
jms920
Mouseketeer

I use L'oreal, Excellence. Color is Medium Reddish Brown. It isn't as red as the auburn colors. I always had dark brown hair with reddish highlights. I love the color and it covers my gray well. ( Now if my hair would grow a little slower LOL) I find if I use hair products for color treated hair and don't wash every day, the color doesn't fade so much. When I touch up my roots, after 20 minutes, I bring the color through my hair and wait 10 more minutes,
it revitalizes the color.
jms920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #14
melwill530
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellia View Post

I do the highlights in the front and on the sides and my husband does a few in the back for me. My hair is really thick so I need a little help evenly distributing them but they look really natural when you are done
melwill530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #15
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms920 View Post
I use L'oreal, Excellence. Color is Medium Reddish Brown. It isn't as red as the auburn colors. I always had dark brown hair with reddish highlights. I love the color and it covers my gray well. ( Now if my hair would grow a little slower LOL) I find if I use hair products for color treated hair and don't wash every day, the color doesn't fade so much. When I touch up my roots, after 20 minutes, I bring the color through my hair and wait 10 more minutes,
it revitalizes the color.
I find the reddish brown colors (doesn't matter which brand) are less RED than the auburns. Some of the auburns are very red.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: