Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #46
BibbidyBobbidyBoo

AKA BIP - Bibbidy is a Pirate

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahmichl View Post
This is the same as virtually ALL substantial military discounts we've experienced travelling. Can you imagine the sheer volume of the population if you include anyone that has ever served? I don't think it's a personal thing where service "means nothing to them" - it's a business decision and a special 'thank you' to those currently serving or those who have retired.
I'm not saying for every person who enlisted and was in for a year or a few months or whatever. but veterans who were enlisted over a decade and are considered war and/or combat veterans can't be thrown a bone? LOL It does mean nothing to them, if they don't get the discount but a whole list of people who work various things (like DOD) do. As surprising as it may be, those enlisted in the military tend to have a hard time booking cruises just a few months out anyway.... you pretty much have to be not enlisted anymore to book something that soon out. At least that has been my experience (not personal experience. I'm not the war veteran with over a decade of service I'm speaking about LOL) Sooo you kinda have to either be career military or no longer in the military to take advantage of the discount anyway- but can only get it if you're older and retired (and if he stayed in until he retired- his kids would be too old to enjoy the DISNEY cruise as children anyway. I guess it's for military retirees to go with grandchildren? LOL)

I know it's a business decision, obviously. But that doesn't mean I have to like it. LOL I have to accept it, but I don't have to like it.

Ah well such is life... never gonna qualify for a discount (unless maybe they eventually make a Texas resident discount out of Galveston similar to florida resident discounts. haha A girl can hope I suppose. LOL)
2004 ASMU solo trip
2005 ASMO mom & kids trip (June-DD's birthday), ASSP mom & kids trip (Oct-MNSSHP)
2006 GF RPC & Disney "double scoop" cruise (family trip)
2008 Disneyland & EB Panama Canal Cruise (family trip)
2009 WDW @ FW & 7nt Western Cruise (family trip)
2010 DL (mom & kids road trip), WB TransAtlantic Cruise (family trip)
2011 DL & Wonder B2B repo & Alaska! (family trip), offsite WDW mom & kids trip
2012 DL Jan/Feb 2012 (w/friend), WDW/Fantasy 6/23/12 (family trip)
2013 Magic Galveston cruise (family trip), July DL (family trip)

*PDFG*
BibbidyBobbidyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:07 AM   #47
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibbidyBobbidyBoo View Post
I'm not saying for every person who enlisted and was in for a year or a few months or whatever. but veterans who were enlisted over a decade and are considered war and/or combat veterans can't be thrown a bone? LOL It does mean nothing to them, if they don't get the discount but a whole list of people who work various things (like DOD) do. As surprising as it may be, those enlisted in the military tend to have a hard time booking cruises just a few months out anyway.... you pretty much have to be not enlisted anymore to book something that soon out. At least that has been my experience (not personal experience. I'm not the war veteran with over a decade of service I'm speaking about LOL) Sooo you kinda have to either be career military or no longer in the military to take advantage of the discount anyway- but can only get it if you're older and retired (and if he stayed in until he retired- his kids would be too old to enjoy the DISNEY cruise as children anyway. I guess it's for military retirees to go with grandchildren? LOL)

Ah well such is life... never gonna qualify for a discount (unless maybe they eventually make a Texas resident discount out of Galveston similar to florida resident discounts. haha A girl can hope I suppose. LOL)
????? My husband is active duty and we are going on a cruise in 2 months using the discount. When I was active duty I would take leave at the last minute all the time. In fact, you cant even put in a leave request until about one to two months out.
It is standard practice for a military discount to be for active or retired personnel. Our local movie theater has a military discount and DH is eligible but I am not, as a spouse and a veteran.

And I don't know what the children comment it about.
1)Many people (myself and DH included) don't have kids and still enjoy Disney. 2) You can retire from the military as early as 38. I don't know many 38 year old people who have all of their kids grown and gone and even less with grandchildren. In fact my DH was 10 when his father retired so I know not all retired military have grandchildren.

The point is, their discount, their rules. Sorry you are not eligible.
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2012, 02:39 AM   #48
BibbidyBobbidyBoo

AKA BIP - Bibbidy is a Pirate

DIS Veteran

I know it's their discount, their rules. I already said I have to accept it but doesn't mean I have to like it. LOL

All the people I've known that were enlisted seem to have issues planning trips even months ahead of time. But perhaps those that are deployed, which they all seem to be all the time. That's just my experience, even in recent months/past 2 years (iow I dont mean many years ago) with my sister's husband with leave time always up in the air and changed at the drop of a hat. but then again, he's been deployed repeatedly not active duty not deployed. But I thought even when my BIL was in the military for over a decade he seemed to have issues making plans too far ahead to get off to go see his kids across the country from Texas. Even when he wasn't deployed (but in retrospect he was deployed a lot then too) IDK maybe that's just my experience. I haven't known anyone in person that's been in the military that could just take off when they wanted to or make definite plans like that a couple months in advance. so I guess I wasn't aware that it was possible for others.

I wasn't aware you could be retired at 38. I'm not military anything myself. LOL Well crap I wish my fiance had hung in there a bit longer and retired, he's 39 now. LOL

Standard policy or not, I still reserve the right to be disappointed that it's only active or retired military. *shrugs*
2004 ASMU solo trip
2005 ASMO mom & kids trip (June-DD's birthday), ASSP mom & kids trip (Oct-MNSSHP)
2006 GF RPC & Disney "double scoop" cruise (family trip)
2008 Disneyland & EB Panama Canal Cruise (family trip)
2009 WDW @ FW & 7nt Western Cruise (family trip)
2010 DL (mom & kids road trip), WB TransAtlantic Cruise (family trip)
2011 DL & Wonder B2B repo & Alaska! (family trip), offsite WDW mom & kids trip
2012 DL Jan/Feb 2012 (w/friend), WDW/Fantasy 6/23/12 (family trip)
2013 Magic Galveston cruise (family trip), July DL (family trip)

*PDFG*
BibbidyBobbidyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #49
shburks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I know it's their discount, their rules. I already said I have to accept it but doesn't mean I have to like it. LOL

All the people I've known that were enlisted seem to have issues planning trips even months ahead of time. But perhaps those that are deployed, which they all seem to be all the time. That's just my experience, even in recent months/past 2 years (iow I dont mean many years ago) with my sister's husband with leave time always up in the air and changed at the drop of a hat. but then again, he's been deployed repeatedly not active duty not deployed. But I thought even when my BIL was in the military for over a decade he seemed to have issues making plans too far ahead to get off to go see his kids across the country from Texas. Even when he wasn't deployed (but in retrospect he was deployed a lot then too) IDK maybe that's just my experience. I haven't known anyone in person that's been in the military that could just take off when they wanted to or make definite plans like that a couple months in advance. so I guess I wasn't aware that it was possible for others.

I wasn't aware you could be retired at 38. I'm not military anything myself. LOL Well crap I wish my fiance had hung in there a bit longer and retired, he's 39 now. LOL

Standard policy or not, I still reserve the right to be disappointed that it's only active or retired military. *shrugs*
If you come into the military at 18 as many do, you are eligible for retirement at 38. I am 38 now and our ds is only 7, so Disney is still a great trip for us.

It sounds like you didn't do the 10 years WITH your fiance...just mean, that you weren't married during that time and possibly don't have the understanding of what we active duty spouses go through on a day to day basis and WHY this discount for DCL and WDW mean so much to us. I honestly hope you don't take that the wrong way, but for those of us who have been married to the military for entire careers and experience those deployments, constant TDYs, ungodly hours, etc. having a special discount just for our families is a blessing.

And yes, we cannot always book a last minute cruise/trip...that's not always feasible. But it is sometimes. Sometimes it just depends on your career field and what is going on in the world. And you buy insurance just in case.

Our country certainly should be grateful for anyone who served in the military particularly during times of war. However, when you choose to separate from the military, you give up some of the benefits you had when you were active duty...commissary, health care, BX, ability to travel Space A, and any benefits/discounts that go along with it. I was a teacher for a number of years but am now a SAHM...I certainly don't expect to qualify for any teacher discounts.

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW: Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #50
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Like I said, leave can only be put in a few weeks or months out. Which in reality means, last minute trips are best! Every trip I have planed out more than 6 months in advance has left me stressed up until about 6 weeks out. Including my wedding! We had no idea if DH was going to get the time off. This trip I am planing out for two months from now? DH was able to put in the leave request as soon as we decided to take it. It took two weeks to get approved but now we know we are going baring some national emergency.

Like the poster above me said, once you leave the military you give up a lot. Much more than just discounts.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #51
leahmichl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shburks View Post
just mean, that you weren't married during that time and possibly don't have the understanding of what we active duty spouses go through on a day to day basis and WHY this discount for DCL and WDW mean so much to us. I honestly hope you don't take that the wrong way, but for those of us who have been married to the military for entire careers and experience those deployments, constant TDYs, ungodly hours, etc. having a special discount just for our families is a blessing.

Well said. Particularly when he was junior enlisted, those military discounts were often the only way we could afford vacations.

Beyond that, it is a logistical nightmare to allow SOME veterans to use the discount but not all. Do you have to bring your entire military history with you to port? Is 2 years enough, but not 1? Is being deployed enough? What about a MEU or a float - is that a deployment? There has to be a hard-and-fast easy-to-use rule, and an active ID is just that.

My *personal* opinion is that they include DoD personnel because they are often serving side-by-side in exactly the same capacity as active duty military. My husband traded in his USMC cammies for a suit and tie, but still works on a base, reports to a general and visits Afghanistan annually. While he certainly has more 'freedom' than when he was active duty, as a family we make far more sacrifice on a daily/regular basis than someone who, say, works at another government job without the same requirements.
December 2007 RCCL Grandeur of the Seas - January 2008 NCL Jewel - January 2010 Celebrity Century - February 2012 DCL Magic - August 2012 DCL Dream - March 2013 DCL Wonder - October 2013 DCL Magic - January 2015 Dream - Summer 2015 Alaska
leahmichl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #52
gerberdaisy1234
DIS Veteran

Does a CM just check the active duty or retired military ID or is it more to the procedure? Does it matter which branch of uniformed services the ID is for as long as it is an uniformed services active duty or retired ID? I see includes but not excludes on the list. Just wondering if it includes all seven uniformed services. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
gerberdaisy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #53
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerberdaisy1234 View Post
Does a CM just check the active duty or retired military ID or is it more to the procedure? Does it matter which branch of uniformed services the ID is for as long as it is an uniformed services active duty or retired ID? I see includes but not excludes on the list. Just wondering if it includes all seven uniformed services. Thanks

This would be one you probably want to call about, but I had no idea until I just Googled it that NOAA and the Public Health Service Commissioned Corps were considered uniformed services. In fact I don't even know what the Public Health Service Commissioned Corps are??? My guess is those two do not qualify but what do I know? lol

Do their ID cards look like the other services?
Old 10-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #54
gerberdaisy1234
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib

This would be one you probably want to call about, but I had no idea until I just Googled it that NOAA and the Public Health Service Commissioned Corps were considered uniformed services. In fact I don't even know what the Public Health Service Commissioned Corps are??? My guess is those two do not qualify but what do I know? lol

Do their ID cards look like the other services?
Yes, IDs exactly the same. Receive all the same benefits. Have to put in for leave etc.

Easy way to explain USPHS commissioned corps is it is the Surgeon General's "army" Not an official explanation but gives people a general idea.

Commissioned officers are active duty and deployed, serving all over the US.

gerberdaisy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #55
shburks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerberdaisy1234 View Post
Yes, IDs exactly the same. Receive all the same benefits. Have to put in for leave etc.

Easy way to explain USPHS commissioned corps is it is the Surgeon General's "army" Not an official explanation but gives people a general idea.

Commissioned officers are active duty and deployed, serving all over the US.

Yes, that is correct. USPHS are used in all sorts of capacities. For example, at our base (active duty Air Force base) the Family Advocacy person (think: counselor/social worker) is USPHS and she requested this position to NOT be sent to a remote/deployed location where she would have to leave her young son behind. Apparently they are frequently used in overseas locations, too. She tried to explain it to me one time, but they apparently used to be part of the Navy and wear Navy insignia and military uniforms.

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW: Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: