Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #16
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

YOu can't count on anything at the airport. I am not sure the Hyatt will even serve you by the time you get the bags etc. And I don't think it's going to be a nice dinner. The bar is open until 1, that means they have drinks. The dinner menu drops SUBSTANTIALLY after about 10 PM

Do not leave your bags at the baggage claim. Because what's going to happen is they will be pulled... and then since you are one of the LAST flights by the time you have this "nice dinner" the agent is going to lock the office and go home. And your bags will be locked up until the next day when you somehow have to get back to the airport to get them.

Your options are (A) pack food on the plane or in one of those 6 to 7 suitcases (For two people?) (B) be less picky and eat in Denver or (C) pick up the ton of luggage and carry it all over the airport with you (you can pay a skycap to haul this luggage too)
OrangeCountyCommuter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #17
robinb
DIS Veteran

You can also consider renting a car for a day and drive to CSR, stopping to eat on the way. There are also a couple of 24-hour restaurants at WDW, I know of Picabu's over at the Dolphin and the Gasparilla Grill over at the GF. MNSSHP goes until midnight so you might be able to catch a bus over to the MK after you check in. I don't know how long the buses keep running after the party but you could also take a cab home. A cab to/from the Dolphin would not be too much since it's very close to CSR.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #18
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Your only real option is to take them with you. You definitely do not want to leave them going around the carrousel while you eat dinner - they will either be stolen on locked in the unclaimed luggage office until the next morning and you will be responsible for getting to the airport to claim them.

Don't forget that it's just the bar that will be open. I would check and see what food they offer that late. It's probably going to be mostly appetizers.

I would rather just pick up a sandwich from subway and eat it on the plane.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #19
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

It sounds like the OP has already decided to dine at the Hyatt.
http://hyatt.com/hyatt/images/hotels...nu09172012.pdf

Not horrible. Not sure if it's worth lugging luggage....probably nothing open at their resort.

Take your DME luggage tags. Bell services at the Hyatt arranges to get luggage over to DME luggage area. You might be able to tip a bell captain and have them put your bags in the DME system the next morning.

Many of us think the best option is to bring sandwiches on the plane. I think the OP has the next best (to me) option. Different people have different ideas on how to spend time.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #20
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

I would also make sure there are flights arriving after yours, and late enough so that DME won't assume you have found alternate transporation. Even though DME runs 24/7 if there are no arriving flights I would be concerned they may not have a van/bus ready to take you to your resort when you are done eating.

I know you don't want to hear it but I always bring a soft sided cooler with a nice lunch/dinner for us to eat on the plane. Frozen grapes make a nice ice pack and are allowed by TSA. Nothing like a romantic picnic at 1am in your WDW Resort room, maybe ?

FIWIW - You could also do a grocery delivery and have food, snacks wine beer etc waiting for you when you arrive. Bell services does store perishables in their fridge so everyhing was nice and cold for us when we arrived. Then you could just fix up something fun when you arrive.

tjmw2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #21
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I just flew cross country myself and I was really surprised at the 'food' that was available to us on the plane!! Either a small boxed thing that they charge close to $6 for, or free snacks.
So...here's the thing. When you choose a flight that arrives that late, you have to remember that the facilities on the other end are going to be limited. You have to make choices. So...you are going to have to bring your bags with you. MCO doesn't provide storage for checked bags. I guess you could bypass baggage claim and eat, then you would have to head to the unclaimed baggage office. And no telling how long they are open and functioning. Or, just tag the bags, and let DME handle them the next morning. You won't have bags that night, and they will be out on the public baggage claim carousel until they are pulled for overnight storage. But, they will be picked up first thing in the morning and delivered to your resort room.

I suppose what I'm saying is that you can't have it all. You chose to fly in late, when DME is no longer providing baggage delivery service. So now you have to deal with it. Not to mention that flights are delayed, all the time. So, you may very well not arrive at 10:45.

As for food, I would just pack something in either the carryon bags, or in the checked bags, and then eat that. You may very well have to go without a complete meal that night. But, there are alternatives to a big meal.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #22
Alesia
DIS Veteran

OP, looking back through your posts, I think you might not realize that you can bring real food on the plane, so you won't just be limited to protein bars and other snacks. You could bring sandwiches, fruit, salad, pretty much anything that you don't need to heat up. You can still have a perfectly substantial meal on the plane and save yourself a lot of trouble.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #23
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

It is my belief that, although you don't have to hustle, you should get to the Magical Express welcoming area not too long after your really late evening flight arrives. Reasonable means enough time to collect baggage but not to have a sit down meal.

Otherwise DME could "shut down" without you.

Would you feel included correction inclined to bring a few boxes of cereal on board for the kids to nibble on? Perfect to go with a video screen in the airplane seat back or in a portable DVD player or computer.
Hotel scam! Someone "from the front desk" calls your room phone or knocks on the door, usually after midnight, asking for your credit card number to complete your billing or you will be kicked out. Don't give it to him. It can wait until dawn when you stop by the front desk. This includes Disney's resorts too.

Last edited by seashoreCM; 10-10-2012 at 06:50 AM.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #24
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Honestly, I would take DME to my resort, check in, and then have pizza delivered. That way you can eat in your jammies, unwind from the long day, and still have something substantial (and quiet conversation with the DH!).

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #25
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile4stamps
I am LITERALLY flying across the country. West Coast to east coast! I leave at 12:15pm my time (9:15am EST) and don't arrive till 10:45pm EST. I don't think snacks brought on the plane will be enough... I also can't count on getting anything on my layover as the food in Denver is not very good at the airport near the Southwest arrivals/departures! While we are arriving at 10:45pm is will only feel like 7:45pm to me and 8:45pm to him (he is coming from Denver while I am coming from CA)

There are southwest flights arriving after ours. I was originally booked on one arriving at 11:45pm.
If you are leaving the west coast at 12:15pm, it will be 3:15pm in the eastern time zone. West coast is three hrs behind, not ahead.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #26
chartle
DIS Veteran

OP it sounds like you are picking up your husband in Denver and have a short layover there. Is it possible for him to pick stuff up and bring so you don't have to lug it all the way from California.

I like a lot of others see a major hassle trying to wrangle all that luggage and trying to find something to eat at 11:00 East Coast time but still within your normal West coast dinner time.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #27
malibuconlee
OOH - I think I've finally figured out the multi-quote feature!
Don't forget to get your drink of water from the "Fountain of Youth!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota! View Post
Honestly, I would take DME to my resort, check in, and then have pizza delivered. That way you can eat in your jammies, unwind from the long day, and still have something substantial (and quiet conversation with the DH!).
This is a great idea! I think it's what I would do.

malibuconlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #28
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuconlee View Post
This is a great idea! I think it's what I would do.
Sheesh. Why didn't the rest of us think of that ?!?
Old 10-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #29
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's a great idea! We like Giordano's on arrival day

Old 10-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #30
dudspizza
I married in to a Disney crazy family... now I have become the craziest of them all!

I am wondering about the Denver comment. I have been thru Denver many times and they have many food options available in the middle of the terminal. SW is in terminal C basically and there's McDonalds and a Villa Pizza for sure, plus others depending on the amount of time you have. You can always get foot and take it on the plane with you.

Since you are taking DME, I would eat in Denver, time permitting, and then head straight to your resort. You can order food when there...

Duds

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: