DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
counselormom
Mouseketeer

Issue with outside photographer at Aulani's beach

Hello all, we are headed to Aulani in just a few days But I just ran into a snag and have a question. I found a groupon for a local Oahu photography company who will take family photos on the beach at Aulani. I scheduled our time a few months ago but this morning received an email from them stating that they are "no longer allowed to shoot on Aulani property and we will need to move to the next lagoon. They will need to park at Ihilani and will need to charge us $25 to cover the parking fee via PayPal ". I don't mind the parking fee so much as I don't want to be scammed. Thoughts anyone?

Thank You
counselormom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by counselormom View Post
Hello all, we are headed to Aulani in just a few days But I just ran into a snag and have a question. I found a groupon for a local Oahu photography company who will take family photos on the beach at Aulani. I scheduled our time a few months ago but this morning received an email from them stating that they are "no longer allowed to shoot on Aulani property and we will need to move to the next lagoon. They will need to park at Ihilani and will need to charge us $25 to cover the parking fee via PayPal ". I don't mind the parking fee so much as I don't want to be scammed. Thoughts anyone?

Thank You
I would call Aulani and confirm that it's true that outside photographers cannot shoot on premises. I wouldn't be surprised if that is true since Disney has a photography service and your photographer would be a competitor.
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
Iceman93
Mouseketeer

Since all beaches in the entire state of Hawaii are public property, I don't see how Disney can regulate photographers (or much of anything else) down on the lagoon.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
Dizny Dad
DIS Veteran

All of the Ko Olina Lagoons look the same, so having photos of one or the other makes no difference. and yes, the lagoons are public spaces. The lagoons are surrounded by public walkways. Possibly the photographers are restricted from going up the short steps onto Disney property.

Have a great time!

[YC 10/90][DI 6/98][SSR 8/06][DVC 10/06][SSR 3/07][VWL / SSR 12/07][SSR 5/08][SSR 10/08][VWL 5/09][VWL / SSR 12/09][AKV / SSR 5/10][VWL / SSR 12/10][VWL 5/11]
[VWL 10/11][VWL 12/11][AKL 4/12][VWL 5/12][VWL 12/12][Aulani 2/13][SSR 10/13][VWL 12/13][BWV 5/14][VWL 5/14][AKL 10/14][VWL 10/14][VWL 12/14]
[..& Still Planning]
Dizny Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
dstupper
@dstupper

ok I can confirm wat was just said, the lagoons are public property, Disney cannot decide who can and who cant take pictures on the beach. I dont see Disney telling a photographer to stop taking pictures on the resort either to be honest. These are some of the most friendly staff you will see in Hawaii. In true Disney fashion, they have "Weeded out" any bad-tempered staff they may have had a year ago. I can understand the $25 parking charge. Parking at Ko'Olina is expensive, its $35 at Aulani. Make sure you read reviews abut the photographer

Live in Kapolei HI, Love spoiling my 5 year old Princess
dstupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:58 PM   #6
DisWitt
Fan of Disney 1.0 - aka Disneyland

I just returned from Aulani and I am pro photog and might have some insight for you. First, all HI beaches are public property, so you shouldn't have an issue shooting family portraits there. You might want to use the lagoon next to Aulani if only because it will be quieter. Lots of wedding photographers were out on Aulani's beach area taking photos of wedding couples from the chapel, so I can't see the beach staff coming after you.

BUT, you do want to be careful because 1) Disney can control any pro photography on its property. Outside photographers have been hired by weddings to shoot on property, but I'm sure they have to go through Aulani to get permission, check insurance, and agree to Disney's terms and conditions. I'd bet that Disney wouldn't let a pro photog impede any walkway for more than a minute without official staff and such. 2) Disney staff will be vigilant to protect their guests' privacy and their copyrights. If you are shooting on the beach in front of Aulani (and being obvious that this is a 'photo shoot') and getting staff or guests uncomfortable in the background or such, you'll probably be shoo'd away. Any any use of Disney in pro photos for $$ is - actually - prohibited.

That being said, many Aulani guests have the $$ to have sweet cameras and love to take family pics and even night shots of the hotel. If your photog dresses the part of 'Uncle Jim' and doesn't be an ***, I'm sure he could follow you around the property and get some AWESOME shots. 1 camera, great lens, camera-mounted flash, no tripod, no flexi-fill. Heck, he'd probably look like me shooting my kids! But do whatever your photog is comfortable with. An uncomfortable photographer will get you mediocre photos.

Aulani Owner since 7/2010
DisWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:30 AM   #7
counselormom
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone for the replies,it helps me understand the situation. DisWitt , love the "Uncle Jim" idea. It sounds like the next lagoon might be a better option. The company's reviews look great, I emailed them asking about the beaches being public and am waiting on an answer. I'll probably just pay up the $25 hope for the best. I'll report back after our trip and give an update. Thanks again , ya'll are the best!
counselormom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: