Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #61
Tented1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoemurr

My son said this is a good place to start w/duct tape craft ideas: http://www.duckbrand.com/Duck%20Tape...ktivities.aspx

There really is no starter "kit". You just go to Joann's and pick out 3-4 colors/patterns you like and get to work. DS has made wallets, shoes, flowers, figures, and he has been selling covers for kid's planners at school for $5 each.

Here are a few pictures of things he has done. The "hockey guy" is stuffed w/cotton. He made that today for a friend's birthday tomorrow.
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/...2/DTcrafts.jpg

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/...2/DThockey.jpg
Your DS is amazing and industrious! I'm so impressed! Thank you SO much! I had no idea. I have seen duct tape squares at Wal-Mart and didnt know what was going on.

WDW 1969 WDL 1985 CBR 2007
Tented1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #62
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tented1 View Post
Your DS is amazing and industrious! I'm so impressed! Thank you SO much! I had no idea. I have seen duct tape squares at Wal-Mart and didnt know what was going on.
It keeps him busy for a very long time. I think he has 20+ different colors in his room right now. (But warning.. there is tape stuck to the bottom of every sock in the house, all over his carpet, and I think someone pulled a piece off the cat yesterday.)

Here is a link to some of the ones you can find at Target: It comes in rolls.
http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=d...r_ta_duck+tape (don't let those prices scare you.. looks like most of them are for 6 packs. You can get them at bit cheaper at Joann's or Michael's with a coupon.)

A lot of kids here are into it.. but not as much as he is. The flowers and wallets have instructions online, and you can find many other things too. (search "duct tape prom dresses".. there is even a Duct Tape Festival in Ohio. We are going to try to go next year.)

Kids cover their planner books with it, make bracelets, all sorts of fun things. Maybe you can start a trend in your area.
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #63
mrseace711
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoemurr View Post
My son said this is a good place to start w/duct tape craft ideas: http://www.duckbrand.com/Duck%20Tape...ktivities.aspx

There really is no starter "kit". You just go to Joann's and pick out 3-4 colors/patterns you like and get to work. DS has made wallets, shoes, flowers, figures, and he has been selling covers for kid's planners at school for $5 each.

Here are a few pictures of things he has done. The "hockey guy" is stuffed w/cotton. He made that today for a friend's birthday tomorrow.
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/...2/DTcrafts.jpg

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/...2/DThockey.jpg
I love your sons creativity!! I cant wait for DD to start creating

1st Trip Sept 11-15,2011 All-Star Music
2nd Trip BOOKED Feb.23-Mar.1, 2013 Planning Our NEXT trip 2013
mrseace711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #64
la79al
DIS Veteran

I want to get DSD (11.5) some new books. Can anyone suggest some titles or series for this age? She watches all kinds of movies so with the exception of some really graphic 'descriptions', anything should be fine.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #65
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by la79al View Post
I want to get DSD (11.5) some new books. Can anyone suggest some titles or series for this age? She watches all kinds of movies so with the exception of some really graphic 'descriptions', anything should be fine.
I'm not sure what she has read yet, but here are some favorites with one or both of my DDs (13 and almost 10):

Harry Potter series
Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan (five books in the series, then three in the follow-up Heroes of Olympus series)
The Maximum Ride Series by James Patterson (for my older DD)
Hunger Games trilogy (for my older DD)
The Shadow Children series by Haddix (Among the Hidden, etc.)
Other Margaret Peterson Haddix Books - the Missing series (Found, Sent, etc), Running Out of Time
The Theodore Boone series by John Grisham
City of Ember series

more girly choices that my older DD or her friends have read:
The Clique series
Princess Diaries series
Pretty Little Liars series

My older DD in particular reads constantly, so she can probably give many more suggestions if you need more ideas!
StitchandPooh'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #66
pugtails66
Mouseketeer

I just thought of a great stocking stuffer for tween girls! Momo bands!!! they are GREAT adjustable headbands that DO NOT slip, so they are great for athletes!! You can hand wash them and they come in all kinds of cute patterns. You can find them here at www.momobands.com My daughter discovered them about six months ago and LOVES them!
pugtails66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #67
mrseace711
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=la79al;46377487]I want to get DSD (11.5) some new books. Can anyone suggest some titles or series for this age? She watches all kinds of movies so with the exception of some really graphic 'descriptions', anything should be fine.[/]

I second the Hunger Games =] dd10 has not read it yet mostly because I think another year before she can get into it, i read it and its excellant

DD10s fav reads are : Dork Diaries and shes in a bookclub they are currently reading The Goddess Girls Series which she loves she flies thru hers each month.

Id like to find her some new fun reads though she usually finishes her bookclub book in a week to a week and a half and then shes looking for another book inbetween.

1st Trip Sept 11-15,2011 All-Star Music
2nd Trip BOOKED Feb.23-Mar.1, 2013 Planning Our NEXT trip 2013
mrseace711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #68
cyndik1111
DIS Veteran

speaking of Hunger Games....how about an Archery Set?
I'm gonna start searching the web for one that is age appropriate and that wont kill anyone.
cyndik1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #69
la79al
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndik1111 View Post
I'm gonna start searching the web for one that is age appropriate and that wont kill anyone.
This one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER was suggested to me in a different thread.
Not sure that I want any more weapons in my house though .
Old 10-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #70
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndik1111 View Post
You can check Dick's Sporting Goods for them. They sell youth sets that are non-lethal
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #71
cyndik1111
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by la79al View Post
This one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER was suggested to me in a different thread.
Not sure that I want any more weapons in my house though .
Thanks- we are a NO-KILL house (animal lovers) My daughter would love shooting at a bullseye target, not the living. But I know what you mean about weapons!
cyndik1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #72
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976

I see some of my ideas have been brought up- Wreck This Journal has gotten plenty of coverage here! To the poster who said she didn't get it, it isn't so much as an anger release as it is letting go of inhibitions (like keeping books/journals in pristine condition) and unleashing creativity, as well as just something fun and different to do. DD14 took hers to school and the kids were all over it. For instance, she had to borrow pens to write in it, and document where the pen came from, so she did that on the bus. She already had gum and honey in the sticky page, so the kids found that fascinating. For DD11 and DD14's friend, we got This Is Not a Book. Kind of similar idea. DD14 also has Finish this Book and it leans more toward the detective type, and wouldn't be for everyone, IMO.

Archery has also been brought up! We got a $20 simple bow set from Scheels to start. The arrows were not real good- we bought a few extra $3 arrows. We shot into haybales and it worked pretty good- not a lot of force behind it. If you are looking to get something better, I recommend the Genesis Original compound bows. They are easily adjustable and come in neat colors. We got ours on eBay for $145 or so. They put a lot more speed on the arrow- they went through the bales, so DH got foam targets at Walmart for $17.

Other ideas I already mentioned on the teen girl thread:
A Christmas ornament reflecting their interests- a favorite animal, character, sport, etc. When they are grown, they will have a collection reminding them of their favorite things.
Dover coloring books that are geared for grown-up level coloring- I got DD14 a fairy one and a carousel animal one
Extreme Dot-to-Dot books- some will have 500+ dots or have other schemes that take dot-to-dot to another level
DD14 also got a green screen for doing special effects with iMovie

Usually Christmas shopping time will find me on Amazon, browsing to see what I can find. They have crafts or toys or books separated into age groups, so I browse the suggestions for the particular age group.
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2013- DisneyLand/San Diego
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD16 DD13

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2: 8-9)
bjscheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #73
mom4graceandlogan
DIS Veteran

For book series I can't believe I have not seen Kingdom Keepers series listed. It is the mystery-disney series. We bought our daughter one at Disney World two weeks ago and she barely put it down at night and finished it on the way home and asked for the rest of the series. She is 11 1/2. She loved Hunger Games and reads constantly, does academic reading bowl etc. and she spoke very highly of this book. What she read to me sounded interesting enough to ask her to give it to me to read next. Also highly recommend another tween series. I think author is Laura McDonald maybe? Title of books are "ten" "Eleven", "thirteen" etc. and talks about all the awkward pre teen girl issues at each age in a relatable and humorous way. She has read the whole series twice now. Same character "Winnie" is in each book. She also loved "13 gifts", about a girl who keeps reliving the same birthday. Her Language Arts teacher ended up asking her for a copy for the class.
2003; Gracie's first trip Wilderness Lodge;May, 2005 Logan's first trip Wilderness Lodge; December, 2005 Wilderness Lodge;January 2007 Poly and WL Marathon Weekend; Sept 2007 10 days WL/Poly;Sept 2008 10 days BCV/WLV; June 2009 Swan; Thanksgiving Fort WIlderness/Contemporary200;June 2010 Wilderness Lodge, September 2010 Grand Floridian and Wilderness Lodge; December 2010 Wilderness Lodge and Swan; September, 2011 WL and Dolphin; Buying a house instead of a 2012 trip, actually going anyway and got new house. Sept. 2012 10 days WL/BC concierge, July 2013 AoA and WBC to do all the Orlando attractions we never get to; Sept. 2013 WL Villas and BWV, 4/2014 Chaperone chorus trip to POP, September 2014, Beach club than Universal RPR, youngest finally big enough for Spiderman!
mom4graceandlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #74
mom4graceandlogan
DIS Veteran

Actually my daughter just told me the Winnie Series author's name is Lauren Myracle. Sorry
2003; Gracie's first trip Wilderness Lodge;May, 2005 Logan's first trip Wilderness Lodge; December, 2005 Wilderness Lodge;January 2007 Poly and WL Marathon Weekend; Sept 2007 10 days WL/Poly;Sept 2008 10 days BCV/WLV; June 2009 Swan; Thanksgiving Fort WIlderness/Contemporary200;June 2010 Wilderness Lodge, September 2010 Grand Floridian and Wilderness Lodge; December 2010 Wilderness Lodge and Swan; September, 2011 WL and Dolphin; Buying a house instead of a 2012 trip, actually going anyway and got new house. Sept. 2012 10 days WL/BC concierge, July 2013 AoA and WBC to do all the Orlando attractions we never get to; Sept. 2013 WL Villas and BWV, 4/2014 Chaperone chorus trip to POP, September 2014, Beach club than Universal RPR, youngest finally big enough for Spiderman!
mom4graceandlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:06 AM   #75
jenlynn0808
DIS Veteran

Dd14 loves the kingdom Keeper Series. She is asking for kk5 for this xmas. Also, she enjoyed the winnie series "eleven", "twelve", etc. That a pp mentioned. Now we only ever found that series at Target though. DD spent her own money to buy a couple of the winnie books and if she is willing to part with her own $$, it must be good.

I've been gobbled by ADisneygirl!
jenlynn0808 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: