Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
dittybop
Earning My Ears

Starting to worry about leaving from Miami...

We're scheduled for the 1/24 cruise on the Wonder out of Miami. Have been on the Dream twice out of Port Canaveral and loved the "Disney feel" at the Port. I've seen no info on the Miami port since it hasn't sailed out of there yet. I'm guessing it's a shared terminal with other cruise lines. Will it feel less "special" and be more scattered feeling? Also, I'm thinking we're flying into FLL since it's cheaper (party of 7) and taking a shuttle or something that morning after staying in a FLL hotel. Guess I'm just hoping it's still magical feeling and not too much more work and less special. Anyone know if they'll have separate concierge perks, like waiting area etc since this is our first time going concierge? Hope it's not a waste...Sorry for the negativity...still excited...just curious...
Old 10-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittybop View Post
We're scheduled for the 1/24 cruise on the Wonder out of Miami. Have been on the Dream twice out of Port Canaveral and loved the "Disney feel" at the Port. I've seen no info on the Miami port since it hasn't sailed out of there yet. I'm guessing it's a shared terminal with other cruise lines. Will it feel less "special" and be more scattered feeling? Also, I'm thinking we're flying into FLL since it's cheaper (party of 7) and taking a shuttle or something that morning after staying in a FLL hotel. Guess I'm just hoping it's still magical feeling and not too much more work and less special. Anyone know if they'll have separate concierge perks, like waiting area etc since this is our first time going concierge? Hope it's not a waste...Sorry for the negativity...still excited...just curious...
As much as possible, DCL tries to set up each terminal they use in a similar style as PC, I believe. I'm figuring your shuttle isn't DCL, so that won't feel the same, but the actual process once at the terminal should feel familiar. I would think there will be some sort of concierge area (even if it's just roped off from the masses).

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
jennandcompany
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittybop
We usually sail NCL out of Miami. We just sailed Disney out of PC for the first time in September of this year. My impression was that the terminal at PC was very similar to the terminal at Miami. You will enjoy the experience.... Have a great cruise.
jennandcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
5forDis
Mouseketeer

We're sailing out of Miami in April and I CANNOT WAIT to hear reports from those who sail before us...

It just seems like so much is unknown right now.

There are 5 of us & I think we stay in Fort Lauderdale the night before the cruise (We are flying in there) & rent a minivan one way (Fort Lauderdal to Miami) unless someone gives me info about a shuttle that would be more cost-effective/convenient.

I have not booked a hotel for FLL but have been looking. We will be there for a full day and would love something with a great pool/close to the beach. Any suggestions on how to make this all work, would be welcomed, when you get back from your cruise in January.

I am excited about the cruise, itself.

14 12 9

5forDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

We've sailed twice on DCL out of PC and then this year we sailed on the very first New York City cruise. DCL did an excellent job of giving the terminal that "Disney feel". I wouldn't be concerned at all about sailing from a port other than PC.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #6
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

We've sailed DCL twice from Port Canaveral and twice from the Port of Los Angeles. The California port had a banner welcoming us instead of the whole Disney-themed terminal. I really didn't think it was a problem because we were so excited to get on the ship. There was so much Disney stuff onboard that we didn't miss the Disney theming at the terminal.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:11 AM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

We've boarded DCL ships all over the world. Bottom line--DCL has it all under control. They do set up the terminal to function the same as PC as far as possible (OK, not prettiness). If you are used to PC, you'll feel right at home except that you'll probably know the process better than the CMs. At many ports, they hire "temps," not regular DCL employees.

Just smile--it will all work in a very similar way to PC.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

I haven't sailed from PC, but I did from Seattle, which was certainly not a dcl port. It was very well executed, decorated, flowed nicely, there were plenty of people with big mickey hands directing us, and it wasn't stressful or crowded! Hopefully it will be the same in Miami!

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: